2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

tvs setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im still on stock exhaust (actually smaller since gmpp is 2.25) and stock cooling. Iono.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
Im still on stock exhaust (actually smaller since gmpp is 2.25) and stock cooling. Iono.
yeah and i've got the restrictive ass stock cooling system + a fmic, a cast garrett manifold and a choked up elbow... we've all got excuses
Old 10-31-2010, 05:31 PM

where can i buy a turbo setup? are they sold as kits for lsj applications? like i previously stated, im new to the forced induction world so i dont know where i can buy a turbo kit from. or do i have to piece it together myself?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:44 PM

ZZP makes good stuff, can't go wrong. Not sure if Treadstone makes any kits for the LSJ yet.

To the OP, what do you plan on doing with the car? Drag, AutoX, Track? Just a dyno queen?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
yeah and i've got the restrictive ass stock cooling system + a fmic, a cast garrett manifold and a choked up elbow... we've all got excuses
Wasn't making excuses, was actually pretty impressed on how well the car runs for lack of mods, lol.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:09 PM

I should of worded my statment better. A properly setup Turbo car could and should do better at track. Such as ZZP.

Was trying to poke fun at the big turbo children that dyno their car in 5th and only do 80mph rolls.

I guess I am the only one that finds it funny the only turbo swap LSJ on forum that actually runs what their power dictates is a shop car. Yet they all claim how much faster their snail is than any blower car.
Can you point out anyone with a 400hp turbo car and runs 13s? a 400hp turbo car will beat a 300hp tvs car any day. If you want good dyno numbers and track numbers get a turbo ether way you go you will still need traction if you have tvs or turbo you still need the supporting mods.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMagic
where did you get the 98's?
injectordynamics.com
t1racedevelopment.com or race parts, one of the two.

they are NOT plug n play.

ask USMC what happened to him at the ced meet when his turbo car got pulled on by a tvs car.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Area47
ask USMC what happened to him at the ced meet when his turbo car got pulled on by a tvs car.
did any one get a video of that ?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Actually he did. Also had plenty of people watching. Plus USMC admits it, lol.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by freakta
did any one get a video of that ?
without seeing it, i am going to say it was because he had no traction. on street tires and lower boost at 330whp, i can't get traction until at least 60mph, and sometimes even third gear will spin completely off when it spools in cold weather.

fwd+torque = take off fail
Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
injectordynamics.com
t1racedevelopment.com or race parts, one of the two.

they are NOT plug n play.

what has to be done to make them work?

YouTube - TVS vs. Turbo LJS vs. STI
Old 11-01-2010, 05:03 PM

All i wanna know is which one of you was screaming at the end..
Old 11-01-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by roderick
Can you point out anyone with a 400hp turbo car and runs 13s? a 400hp turbo car will beat a 300hp tvs car any day. If you want good dyno numbers and track numbers get a turbo ether way you go you will still need traction if you have tvs or turbo you still need the supporting mods.
100hp difference is an a$$load I would hope the the turbo car would win lmao. What others and I have posted before is we would like to see a 360whp turbo car race a 360whp tvs car.. you have to compare apples to apples or it doesn't prove anything.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

100hp difference is an a$$load I would hope the the turbo car would win lmao. What others and I have posted before is we would like to see a 360whp turbo car race a 360whp tvs car.. you have to compare apples to apples or it doesn't prove anything.
the problem with that is, every turbo car is going to make alot more torque than any tvs car. so the 360 turbo may make 360 tq, and the 360 tvs would only make 300 tq.

what negates any argument is the amount of us who went from m62 to tvs, and then immediately sold the tvs and went turbo. none of us seem to be downgrading from the turbo, so something must be good about them
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM

the problem with that is, every turbo car is going to make alot more torque than any tvs car. so the 360 turbo may make 360 tq, and the 360 tvs would only make 300 tq.

what negates any argument is the amount of us who went from m62 to tvs, and then immediately sold the tvs and went turbo. none of us seem to be downgrading from the turbo, so something must be good about them
sooooo what happened to the turbo car in the vid? haha everyone just loves to see that big number on the computer monitor plain and simple. how many tvs cars are there compared to turbo?

this back and forth bs might as well stop because no body is going to convince the other that what they have is better..
Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Banned

sooooo what happened to the turbo car in the vid? haha everyone just loves to see that big number on the computer monitor plain and simple. how many tvs cars are there compared to turbo?

this back and forth bs might as well stop because no body is going to convince the other that what they have is better..
there is no magic power band theory

if the tvs was so fast, the majority of people running 12's and EVERYONE running 11's and faster would have a tvs, not a turbo. and that isn't concerning shop cars, there are people on here that have been since 2005-2006 running low 10's with 2.2's and definitely not with a blower

i'm not here to convince anyone, I have had the m62, tvs AND turbo all three on my personal car (not including 1 twinscrew and one other turbo setup years ago) and I am here to tell you that anyone arguing for a tvs over a proper turbo setup, is an idiot.

what exactly have you had on yours again?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 PM

if the tvs was so fast, the majority of people running 12's and EVERYONE running 11's and faster would have a tvs, not a turbo. and that isn't concerning shop cars, there are people on here that have been since 2005-2006 running low 10's with 2.2's and definitely not with a blower

i'm not here to convince anyone, I have had the m62, tvs AND turbo all three on my personal car (not including 1 twinscrew and one other turbo setup years ago) and I am here to tell you that anyone arguing for a tvs over a proper turbo setup, is an idiot.

I have to agree with you. I have had the m62 I pushed that. Then I got the tvs and pushed that. But since I have had my turbo I have not complained about it at all and Will never go back to the tvs. Turbo will make more power then the tvs it will be safer on your car because of heat. With my turbo setup on base boost 10psi 270hp I had a hard time getting any traction at the track and now that I am on higher boost I can only get traction end of 2nd.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 PM

So why are you the first to jump in on every tvs thread to flap about how much superior a turbo is? Also I am not arguing that for actual big power like 450whp and up yes a turbo will get there far easier than the tvs no question. back to the topic of this thread this guy is building his car not shop car, not everyone has an abundance of money to just throw around a "proper" turbo set up as you call it is going to run you $3500+ with the SAME MONEY ($2000) I don't think the tvs can be beat. $2000 won't even cover the parts let alone installation.. not everyone can afford to have their car down for weeks in peices in the garage because they wanted a big bad turbo. the tvs on the other hand can be swapped in a couple of hours. I am not arguing about as far as huge power turbo is the way to go but you have to remember we are driving fwd cobalts... most people are not that serious about modding their cobalt.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:31 PM

I have to agree with you. I have had the m62 I pushed that. Then I got the tvs and pushed that. But since I have had my turbo I have not complained about it at all and Will never go back to the tvs. Turbo will make more power then the tvs it will be safer on your car because of heat. With my turbo setup on base boost 10psi 270hp I had a hard time getting any traction at the track and now that I am on higher boost I can only get traction end of 2nd.
you only "pushed" your tvs to 305whp. 270? and no traction at the track? why would anyone want or even like that? 270 is more than accoplishable on the m62 and most people don't spin at all in 2nd.. what are you going to do with 400whp magically catch grip?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:36 PM

So why are you the first to jump in on every tvs thread to flap about how much superior a turbo is? Also I am not arguing that for actual big power like 450whp and up yes a turbo will get there far easier than the tvs no question. back to the topic of this thread this guy is building his car not shop car, not everyone has an abundance of money to just throw around a "proper" turbo set up as you call it is going to run you $3500+ with the SAME MONEY ($2000) I don't think the tvs can be beat. $2000 won't even cover the parts let alone installation.. not everyone can afford to have their car down for weeks in peices in the garage because they wanted a big bad turbo. the tvs on the other hand can be swapped in a couple of hours. I am not arguing about as far as huge power turbo is the way to go but you have to remember we are driving fwd cobalts... most people are not that serious about modding their cobalt.
If you want to stay low 300 mid 350 with a good setup cost friendly then you cant go wrong with a tvs because of the ease of the install if you have 3-4k and want high numbers go with a turbo.

you only "pushed" your tvs to 305whp. 270? and no traction at the track? why would anyone want or even like that? 270 is more than accoplishable on the m62 and most people don't spin at all in 2nd.. what are you going to do with 400whp magically catch grip?
I got lsd and other mods for tractions coming this winter with my rebuild.
I pushed the tvs to 305 and with dual pass and a heat exchanger say temps of 150 after a 4th gear pull and was out of fuel before the end of 4th gear. There is alot of people sitting right around 300-325 on a tvs and cant push it past that. My goals where set high and with that in mind the only way to get to my goal was a turbo kit.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:43 PM

I believe you had a full car as well. 3 passengers and you?

Originally Posted by 383_Stroker
All i wanna know is which one of you was screaming at the end..
That would probably be Rissa, 06black, or hoffa I believe.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:49 PM

If you want to stay low 300 mid 350 with a good setup cost friendly then you cant go wrong with a tvs because of the ease of the install if you have 3-4k and want high numbers go with a turbo.

I got lsd and other mods for tractions coming this winter with my rebuild.
I pushed the tvs to 305 and with dual pass and a heat exchanger say temps of 150 after a 4th gear pull and was out of fuel before the end of 4th gear. There is alot of people sitting right around 300-325 on a tvs and cant push it past that. My goals where set high and with that in mind the only way to get to my goal was a turbo kit.
3-4k providing you can/want to install it yourself. most people don't have the know how or patience to install a turbo kit. so count on 4-5k minimum.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:01 PM

Different strokes for different folks. That is exactly why I asked what you will be doing with the car. 99% of the people just want to see big numbers on a monitor so they can tell their friends at the local Sheetz how fast their **** is. So a big giant Turbo is for them.

If money is no object, and neither is install work/labor... Then a properly sized and built turbo will out run a TVS car in Drag. ZZP's stuff is perfect example. But again, 99% of the Turbo swapped LSJ's do it wrong.

If you plan to Auto-X or even Road Course the car, you will be better off with the TVS.

Last edited by WSFrazier; 11-01-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

blah blah blah...

tvs kit = $2200 then you have to add in all the other parts if you want to be over 275whp

I paid $2600 for a real garrett turbo kit all the way down to a tune that put down 320whp/330wtq, that included EVERYTHING even with a new aem intake. after changing over some of the parts to aftermarket, i have 360whp and still below $3k. the machinist is almost done with my second motor and then i'll be able to bump up to 450whp+ with the push of a button.

and lastly, i chime in for the same reason you chime in trying to say how superior a tvs is; the only difference is that my opinion is right and yours is not.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 PM

Actually he did. Also had plenty of people watching. Plus USMC admits it, lol.
i wasnt doubting it i just wanna see the video

Quick Reply: tvs setup questions