2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Twincharging

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Twincharging

This was found on ***************, very interesting. maybe a repost, but since my fiancee and I are fighting atm, I don't give a f*** if it's a repost.

Twincharge your Chevy Cobalt SS!

So you have your supercharged Chevy Cobalt SS. Well, perhaps its still on order. Chevy claims the SS is putting out approximately 205 horsepower. Once the power hits the wheels, you're looking at about 170-180 hp.

To many this is plenty, but to some... Its just not enough! The innovative group over at Psi-Fi Motorsports is here for those of you that are power hungry! They have plans to unvail a Twincharger system allowing you to add a turbo to your already supercharged Cobalt SS.

With their recent success in developing a Twincharger system for the Mini Cooper S, Psi-Fi Motorsports is ready to get their hands on a Chevy Cobalt SS.

They were able to increase the power output on the Mini Cooper S from a measily 150hp to a whopping 250hp. A few more fun modifications such as ECU modification, and an aquamist cooler, they anticipate over 300hp on the Mini's 1.6L motor.

The Chevy Cobalt SS utilized a more robust 2.0L motor which should allow greater power results from a Twincharger system. Psi-Fi Motorsports anticipates similar power gains from the Cobalt SS which would equate to approximately 270hp at the wheels on their basic Twincharger setup. With additional modifications, we can expect to see over 300hp at the wheels.

The concept is basic, but designing a quality Twincharger system is not. Psi-Fi Motorsports says, "We know the in's and out's of a Twincharger system aftering developing one for the Mini Cooper S. We already have the turbo specs designed for the Cobalt."

The theory is that the supercharger will kick in during low RPM's to give that instant torque you need when drag racing. Once you reach higher speeds and higher boost, the supercharger will begin to reach peak performance and lose efficiency. This is where the turbocharger will kick in.

There will be a smooth transition between the supecharger and turbocharger which is monitored by a pressure system. The turbocharger takes over when a pre-set amount of boost pressure is reached causing the supercharger to shut down allowing the turbocharger to do its work.

By utilizing the twincharger system, you will no longer experience the dreadful turbo lag or the drop in the power curve when the supercharger reaches peak performance.

Be sure to check back for update on the Psi-Fi Motorsports twincharger system for the Chevy Cobalt.

Copyright(c) 2005 YourCobalt
Old 09-12-2005, 01:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedSS2005

So you have your supercharged Chevy Cobalt SS. Well, perhaps its still on order. Chevy claims the SS is putting out approximately 205 horsepower. Once the power hits the wheels, you're looking at about 170-180 hp.

yeah and the shop that runs that dyno stops recording results @5600 rpm, just like gm did
Old 09-12-2005, 01:56 AM

YEah we are all seeing 205+ whp
Old 09-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mercury
YEah we are all seeing 205+ whp

actually i dyno'd the other day at 184.7hp/174.9tq... but i'm going to a different dyno.. those dyno dynamic systems are so far off it's horrible. the shop that owned it said they get alot of complaints about the low numbers, but they don't mention that to anyone before you dyno. you should've seen the guy driving the brand new 350z with header/intake/exhaust dyno before me and only got 203hp...he was pissed lol... and the funny thing was a car that has outrun mine and weighs alot more (99 gtp- pulley/chip/intake) only put down like 177/173

i was dissapointed
Old 09-12-2005, 04:26 PM

^ they must have fucked up with the info they put in. We have a Dyno Dynamics metter out in my area. It was pretty acurate and from what I hear it is one of the most accuart one out there. I hit 224whp with just a 3.4 back in the day with my gtp. Many gtp's out here are hitting around the same with the same mods. I came back with VS cam, IC, and 3.0 and hit 273whp, thats prety close to what it shoudl be.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by num482
^ they must have fucked up with the info they put in. We have a Dyno Dynamics metter out in my area

that's the first time i've seen a dyno dynamics, so i figured they just shot really low for some strange reason. glad it only cost me $20 for three pulls. cause now i gotta go to a local place and get some real ones lol
Old 09-12-2005, 06:07 PM

Anywayyyyyyyyyy..........

Man if this thing is reasonable at all its gonna rule! SC whine and then turbo pshhhhhhhh!!! ak;lsdjf()*&!!!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:11 PM

Arrow

Since we're talking #'s, anyone know anyplaces In OR Near Delaware that have dyno's?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:18 PM

Hm try phone book? I'm not sure.

Delaware valley rules.

That is all.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 PM

i know its early, but any price estimates?
Old 09-12-2005, 09:47 PM

They were able to increase the power output on the Mini Cooper S from a measily 150hp to a whopping 250hp. A few more fun modifications such as ECU modification, and an aquamist cooler, they anticipate over 300hp on the Mini's 1.6L motor.

How will the Minis internals handle this? I dont know too much about them. I am assuming that when these 1.6's roll off the lot they arent exactly set up for forced induction?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:54 PM

i heard somewhere that if a twincharge system were to be effective, we couldnt use our stock superchargers. i dont know how true that is. not saying i believe everything i read so dont flame on me.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
How will the Minis internals handle this? I dont know too much about them. I am assuming that when these 1.6's roll off the lot they arent exactly set up for forced induction?
The Mini S comes supercharged. I believe it actually has the same blower as us too, which made specing the turbo much easier for the guys at PSI-Fi.

Originally Posted by shcwv
i heard somewhere that if a twincharge system were to be effective, we couldnt use our stock superchargers. i dont know how true that is. not saying i believe everything i read so dont flame on me.
The only thing on our supercharger we would change would be the pully.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:41 AM
Banned

Thats BS about having only like 170-180 whp because my 05 red ss supercharged dynoed at 210 whp in 100 deggre + heat and like 50% humidity and they didnt have a fan on my car so it was almost over heating on the dyno running hot as hell. They were telling me that i should have around 220 whp if not maybe a lil more. So dont go by what chvy says they are underating these cars like crazy!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by RiCeEaTeR05SS
Since we're talking #'s, anyone know anyplaces In OR Near Delaware that have dyno's?
There are a couple places right over the line in PA. As far as actually in Delaware, the only place I can think of is CarV2 in newcastle
Old 09-25-2005, 10:21 AM

color matched headlights

Originally Posted by WickedSS2005
This was found on ***************, very interesting. maybe a repost, but since my fiancee and I are fighting atm, I don't give a f*** if it's a repost.

Twincharge your Chevy Cobalt SS!

To many this is plenty, but to some... Its just not enough! The innovative group over at Psi-Fi Motorsports is here for those of you that are power hungry! They have plans to unvail a Twincharger system allowing you to add a turbo to your already supercharged Cobalt SS.

With their recent success in developing a Twincharger system for the Mini Cooper S, Psi-Fi Motorsports is ready to get their hands on a Chevy Cobalt SS.

The Chevy Cobalt SS utilized a more robust 2.0L motor which should allow greater power results from a Twincharger system. Psi-Fi Motorsports anticipates similar power gains from the Cobalt SS which would equate to approximately 270hp at the wheels on their basic Twincharger setup. With additional modifications, we can expect to see over 300hp at the wheels.

The concept is basic, but designing a quality Twincharger system is not. Psi-Fi Motorsports says, "We know the in's and out's of a Twincharger system aftering developing one for the Mini Cooper S. We already have the turbo specs designed for the Cobalt."

The theory is that the supercharger will kick in during low RPM's to give that instant torque you need when drag racing. Once you reach higher speeds and higher boost, the supercharger will begin to reach peak performance and lose efficiency. This is where the turbocharger will kick in.

There will be a smooth transition between the supecharger and turbocharger which is monitored by a pressure system. The turbocharger takes over when a pre-set amount of boost pressure is reached causing the supercharger to shut down allowing the turbocharger to do its work.

By utilizing the twincharger system, you will no longer experience the dreadful turbo lag or the drop in the power curve when the supercharger reaches peak performance.

Be sure to check back for update on the Psi-Fi Motorsports twincharger system for the Chevy Cobalt.

Copyright(c) 2005 YourCobalt
Where did you get your color-matched headlights?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:14 PM

I wonder if the turbo is kicked in just when regular driving too, would this affect the boost of the supercharger, or does one shut down, while the other one goes. Or do both boosts hit when you shift at the same time so you have a whine, and is this something that you can put a blow off valve onto so you have both sounds? If someone could answer me on this that would be great. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lespaul350
Where did you get your color-matched headlights?
Custom mod I did after readng a write-up on someone doing balck lights on their Silver cobalt. I had a shop paint them so they are clear-coated and match perfectly.