2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

UGHHHH launch help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UGHHHH launch help?

ok, so, i have had my 06 SS SC with G85 for a couple weeks now (yesssss)
and needless to say, ive been driving it ALOT (~2500 miles since xmas)

Ok. on topic....
i friggin love this car, but it seems no matter what i do, i cannot get consistent launches.

I know all about the wheel hop and why our cars get no traction, but no matter what i try i dont get much of anywhere. (yes, i have searched)

i have tried getting on it hard from idle, and dumping the clutch anywhere between 1000-3000 RPM and normally its hophophop REDLINE...which is quite embarassing racing people from digs.

the thing that baffles me is sometimes on the clutch dumps, the wheel will just spin for a few seconds, hook up, and i will haul ass through first, but i can never seem to find that magic combo again.

i have quickly learned that any floorage in 1st results in wheel hop but my real question is what works the best for you guys? obviously it will be different for every car but im curious

what works for all you guys????

thanks a ton
kevin
Old 01-07-2007, 10:32 PM

Wheel hop eliminating mods.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I feather out almost like im granny launching with a trunk full of groceries.....just to make sure i get that first engagement with the pavement done without breaking loose.....once you get that clutch about 50% engaged start feeding it ponies.

on the street its almost impossible to get the power down with these cars without launching at an idle or slightly above.

At the track if you lower your front tire pressure you can get away with a bit more RPM on your launch.

just my 2c
Old 01-07-2007, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-4l-le5-performance-tech-46/launching-tips-19019/ this should help
Old 01-07-2007, 10:40 PM

Get an engine dampner or engine mounts
Old 01-08-2007, 05:58 AM

if you are truely trying to get a good launch, why are you dumping the clutch???

takes some grace to get these cars going anywhere in first. if you are having trouble with a stock cobalt ss/sc, you better get some practice. not to say the car is not hard to launch, just dont dump the clutch and expect results.

a little over 2,000rpm. feather the clutch a bit to get going. if you want to eliminate wheel hop though, you better look for some mods.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:50 AM

thanks guys , i have an ingalls ETD on the way but turbotech seems to be out of stock and kind of slow to get them in...

i have been getting better at feathering it at idle, but its just embarassing sometimes with the wheel hop. hopefully with some more practice and my ETD things should get a little prettier....

i still find it weird how sometimes the wheels will just spin and then hook up nice, and others its hippity hop for the rest of 1st.

practice practice practice i guess.....

any more tips? im curious to see what everyones favorite method is.

thanks again
kevin
Old 01-08-2007, 12:20 PM

To be honest, I havent tried launching real hard yet. I have just gotten rolling in first, maybe popped it up to 75% throttle from 3 grand to 5, then I go WOT through 2nd. I've had the car for almost three months now, and I am still not used to the power (plus I am paranoid of hurting her)
Old 01-09-2007, 11:01 PM

i suggest getting some motor mounts before really dumping the clutch. wouldnt wanna crack anything :/
i usually just ride the clutch at 1.5-2k and then floor it after the wheels get some hold. not the best way to launch but safer.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Johnboy12358
To be honest, I havent tried launching real hard yet. I have just gotten rolling in first, maybe popped it up to 75% throttle from 3 grand to 5, then I go WOT through 2nd. I've had the car for almost three months now, and I am still not used to the power (plus I am paranoid of hurting her)
Thats me.

After reading all the horror stories about how delicate our transmissions and axles are, I'm still a little unsure of how hard I can push the car without breaking it. Frankly I don't feel like finding out the hard way, but at the same time I bought this car to have some fun, not drive it like a grandma.

So far this is what I gather to be the best way to launch these cars:

1.) Bring it up to 3000rpms
2.) Release clutch quickly (not DUMP, just quickly), slipping a small amount at 50% to make sure its gonna grab.
3.) WOT until redline in first unless there is severe wheelhop, in which case let off the gas a little bit
4.) WOT rest of the way.

^ If anybody has any tweaks or steps to add to that, please do. If I ever take the car to the track (its been closed for months and no signs of it repoening any time soon), I'd like to know what to do based on what people with experience have to say.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:39 PM

My advice is; your trying too hard. Do not wheel-hop, your going to break something!
You need to develop a feel for the car and road conditions. Take off very slow, without slipping the clutch, (why are clutches burning up?), once engaged get on the throttle. If you feel the tires slip or want to hop, modulate the throttle to keep it at or below that point. Spinning tires, wheel-hopping; these things equal no traction and no forward progress. These cars will never be "out of the hole" monsters, so just do the best you can with alot of practice.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:12 PM

Take off like normal as if you were going to take off from a stop sign then roll in to open throttle. Your going to break the tires loose after 6k at WOT so I've found that shifting right at 6k seems to work pretty good in first. Then second gear is WOT to the redline.

I wouldn't worry about getting stellar launches in this car, the important thing is to survive first gear without a ton of spin or breaking something, then let second gear do all the work. It pulls hard in second and if you get it through first without spinning, at worst you have lost a tenth or two in the quartermile over a perfect launch.

If you start to wheel hop get out of the throttle IMMEDIATELY. You will break something eventually.