2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Unknown Problem, Take A Look Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unknown Problem, Take A Look Please

Hey guys have a problem and don't know what it is our what's causing it. This is my first stick car so maybe I'm just doing something wrong. It has 3k on it, and when I come to a stop sometimes the car will start to siezure, the RPM's keep droping and then going back up, this happens until i rev the engine, the car almost stalls. I now do have an Injen CAI, but it did it before I put it on anyways. Anyone can help or make a suggestion. Sound like i broke in the car too fast? Take back to dealer? I have no idea, help please!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:45 PM

take it to the dealer, they'll reflash it under warranty. make sure you get it documented with them. a bunch of people have had this common issue, but nothing bad to worry about, just an annoyance. mine has sporadically come back though...
Old 04-20-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by GSoccer24
take it to the dealer, they'll reflash it under warranty. make sure you get it documented with them. a bunch of people have had this common issue, but nothing bad to worry about, just an annoyance. mine has sporadically come back though...

I'll call, should i put my stock Intake back on? And also every now and then it feels like it slips out of 2nd and grinds, anyone with this problem too?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:59 PM

My 06 had the same sporadic idle you mention, turned out the secondary O2 was going bad from being pelted with the guts of my cat.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:03 PM

I woulnt know because Im not in gear when I come to a stop I stay in neutral so that it dosent happen.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BLKSS
I woulnt know because Im not in gear when I come to a stop I stay in neutral so that it dosent happen.
I tried that, and when i shift into neutral sometimes it will still do it, not as much but it will. am I not going into neutral at a high enough RPM? LIke i said I really don't drive stick that well, but it seems other people have this problem.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Above6k
My 06 had the same sporadic idle you mention, turned out the secondary O2 was going bad from being pelted with the guts of my cat.

Well I'm getting a my prototype cat-back fitted and tested this weekend through next week, I'll have them check it out. Worse case I'll reflash it I guess and see if that works.

How did you get the probelm fixed?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by juststickit124
Hey guys have a problem and don't know what it is our what's causing it. This is my first stick car so maybe I'm just doing something wrong. It has 3k on it, and when I come to a stop sometimes the car will start to siezure, the RPM's keep droping and then going back up, this happens until i rev the engine, the car almost stalls. I now do have an Injen CAI, but it did it before I put it on anyways. Anyone can help or make a suggestion. Sound like i broke in the car too fast? Take back to dealer? I have no idea, help please!!!

Myself and most others have the same problem, I'm just living with it for now
Old 04-20-2006, 03:13 PM

Well I'm getting a my prototype cat-back fitted and tested this weekend through next week, I'll have them check it out. Worse case I'll reflash it I guess and see if that works.

I'm new to the stick as well, and I did make the mistake of letting the RPM drop too low once or twice in gear, and the car starts to bog. When you take it out of gear at that point, the idle is a little instable for a few seconds, then it goes to normal. Now if it looks like I'm going to drop below 1.5k rpm from slowing down, I either downshift or go into neutral completele, and never a problem. Hope it helps.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
I'm new to the stick as well, and I did make the mistake of letting the RPM drop too low once or twice in gear, and the car starts to bog. When you take it out of gear at that point, the idle is a little instable for a few seconds, then it goes to normal. Now if it looks like I'm going to drop below 1.5k rpm from slowing down, I either downshift or go into neutral completele, and never a problem. Hope it helps.
I'd agree with this. I had the same problem and noticed it was when i was coming to a stop usually after a longer drive or after giving the engine a bit of hell. It like the engine sprays too much gas at a lower rpm. Just stay higher during your stops and you shoul be fine. I'll still be taking mine to the dealer however.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:23 PM

I do get out of gear before 2k even sometimes, and it bogs for probably 30 secs and returns to normal, or i just rev. I'm thinking it a A/F problem? Maybe the O2 like above6k said, maybe there's a problem with all 02 sensors. I'll mention to the dealer that others are having the same problem. Does this sound like a lemon law deal? I wouldn't mine trading it back in and putting my name down for the new camaro though, haha jk.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike06cobalt
I'd agree with this. I had the same problem and noticed it was when i was coming to a stop usually after a longer drive or after giving the engine a bit of hell. It like the engine sprays too much gas at a lower rpm. Just stay higher during your stops and you shoul be fine. I'll still be taking mine to the dealer however.

Maybe the A/F on the ecu program is off, maybe a reflash is in order.

Everyone in this thread, do who has CAI? The problem still happend with my CAI though, just curios.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:38 PM

is it bad on the car to sometimes slow down to 1kRPM in lets say 2nd gear or 3rd but then slowly start going again?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:43 PM

it happens to me when im in gear at a light, but then when i pop it to neutral it stops. i think its just cause youre in gear, DONT DO THAT! haha!
Old 04-20-2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mines_Better
it happens to me when im in gear at a light, but then when i pop it to neutral it stops. i think its just cause youre in gear, DONT DO THAT! haha!
But we shouldn't have to do that regardless, it's still a defect i think. Other cars you can stay in gear i'm pretty sure. I don't think that's the best solution, I WANT IT FIXED!!! haha thanks for the post though
Old 04-20-2006, 04:08 PM

I took it in and had them re-flash it and put a new cat and O2 in it.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Above6k
I took it in and had them re-flash it and put a new cat and O2 in it.

Fixed? Can you stop at a light in gear? You running a CAI?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:21 PM

no offense, but people who don't know how to drive stick and don't understand the mechanics of it shouldn't be driving this car...it makes me never want to buy a used car, ever.

^this is just a general statment...not to anyone specific
Old 04-20-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by sealy
no offense, but people who don't know how to drive stick and don't understand the mechanics of it shouldn't be driving this car...it makes me never want to buy a used car, ever.

^this is just a general statment...not to anyone specific

got to learn sometime, I mean I have driven my friends cars around before, but you're right, I just didn't want to learn on a beater. Everyone who drives my car says it's a real easy tranny, so it's not that bad to learn on. My friends who have been driving stick for a really long time say I'm actually pretty good for only a month, and I'm not doing anything wrong. I'll be sure if i resale to let the buyer know

Last edited by juststickit124; 04-21-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:30 PM

got to learn sometime, I mean I have driven my friends cars around before, but you're right, I just didn't want to learn on a beater. Everyone who drives my car says it's a real easy tranny, so it's not that bad to learn on. I'll be sure if i resale to let the buyer know
I thought it was pretty easy to learn as well. The pedal is pretty stiff compared to other cars I've tried, but it's so easy to feel where it engages.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:09 PM

I thought it was pretty easy to learn as well. The pedal is pretty stiff compared to other cars I've tried, but it's so easy to feel where it engages.

FO SHO!! GO STICK VIRGINS. that sounded so wrong on so many levels. My dad says i'm doing well, Sealy your right though, a pretty expensive and powerful first time stick car. Any tips would help in that case.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:19 PM

I've been driving sticks for 30+ years, and your right; this is really an easy car to drive. You think the clutch is stiff? Yeah right!, try a F-body LS1 w/Stage 3 Centerforce clutch or a 1 ton P/U. Those things will grow your left leg in a hurry. No, this thing is a peice of cake, and a damn good car to start with.

The only hard part with this car is the delayed throttle response from idle and the RPM jump when you lift off the gas. Takes some getting used to.

Your doing good kid, you'll get the hang of it in no time.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by AZ_OrangeSS
I've been driving sticks for 30+ years, and your right; this is really an easy car to drive. You think the clutch is stiff? Yeah right!, try a F-body LS1 w/Stage 3 Centerforce clutch or a 1 ton P/U. Those things will grow your left leg in a hurry. No, this thing is a peice of cake, and a damn good car to start with.

The only hard part with this car is the delayed throttle response from idle and the RPM jump when you lift off the gas. Takes some getting used to.

good defense for us newbies. Is there anyway to get more of a reaction with WOT. cause it seems like the car is always behind if you starting at a low RPM in 2nd. Or it just like that in every car? Is it an electronic throttle?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:45 PM

good defense for us newbies. Is there anyway to get more of a reaction with WOT. cause it seems like the car is always behind if you starting at a low RPM in 2nd. Or it just like that in every car? Is it an electronic throttle?
It's all about your torque curve. These engines have a slow torque ramp until approx 4k RPM when stock. Look at the torque curves when a stage 2 kit is installed and a 2.9" or smaller SC pulley is used. The torque increases very rapidly (for a 4 banger), so your acceleration will be much better from lower RPM's.

Yes, this is throttle-by-wire engine.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by AZ_OrangeSS

Quick Reply: Unknown Problem, Take A Look Please