2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Unofficial Blown Up Engine Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WSFrazier
^^^ Quick question, did you hone the cylinders at all? Or just toss the new pistons and rings in?

My #4 blew a ringland while tuning. AFR was 11.77. Currently working on getting a return fuel system made.
i rehoned all the cylinders then brake cleaned and washed with hot soapy water dried, relubed with a light layer of oil and dropped the pistons in.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:16 PM

Did you hone them while the crankcase was all still together? I am only asking because I have no sleeve damage, and the motor is still so new... I still have some cross hatching. So I don't know if I want to just toss in the new pistons and rings without rehoning or not. I don't want to hone then have metal particles dropping into the crankcase.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
Did you hone them while the crankcase was all still together? I am only asking because I have no sleeve damage, and the motor is still so new... I still have some cross hatching. So I don't know if I want to just toss in the new pistons and rings without rehoning or not. I don't want to hone then have metal particles dropping into the crankcase.
i pulled the crank case, this is a must so that way you can make sure you get all of the metal particals out and make sure you clean those sleeve good or it will be pointless. anytime you use new rings you should rehone so that way they get the best seal.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:50 PM

Its not critical to re-hone. If there is no sleeve damage you are good to not hone it. The new rings will break in based on the cylinder shape. Honing is highly recomended, but not required.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:19 AM

Well got the pistons in and the motor back together and she runs great, now it is to time to rebreak the motor in all of again damn and retune once it is broken in
Old 05-01-2007, 09:16 AM

ok so the motor started up just fine and runs fine but I have this weird noise that I can not figure out where is coming from.... it does not get louder or faster sounding as the engine rpms go up it is a constantant sound it is not a knocking or ticking sound and everyone who has listened to the motor is puzzled as well. I just seeing if has experienced a weird sound in a way like the fly wheel would be is rubbing on something which i never took off, i did in car rebuild, and again the sound does not change at all with rpms it is a constant sounding.... grrr and I am not throwing any codes other than the famous no cat code. I know people will probably want to flame me since I dont have a sound clip lol... trying to determine engine sucks ass
Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah a sound clip would be good. no change in sound with rpm? did you put all your fluids in? I am thinking of intercooler. perhaps there is air in it? the pump would not change with RPM right? that is why I thought of it.

Note - for tuning. have you see this thread? I thought it was good and made sense. What do you think?

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/tuning-131/richen-those-tunes-56849/
Old 05-01-2007, 08:45 PM

so when yall blew #4 did u get a cel ?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ssnipes
Note - for tuning. have you see this thread? I thought it was good and made sense. What do you think?

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56849
Its playing with fire imo, literally. Nobody has concrete evidence that its an air/fuel problem. It could be a cooling or oil problem. Going richer could just make things much worse.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Witt
Its playing with fire imo, literally. Nobody has concrete evidence that its an air/fuel problem. It could be a cooling or oil problem. Going richer could just make things much worse.

Well in the thread there are guys claiming that they run 2.5" and NOS and no problems. they are pushing more HP than the guys that are blowing up. GM sends it out from the factory this way. its not making more engines to blow. the car will not be flooded. cant run that way. IT is rich but still vaporizing the fuel. THat is why I dont believe it will be worse.

cooling is not a problem the cars are not overheating. oil is not a problem as it is the top ringland that is breaking down. not the part of piston below the oil rings or any other part due to oiling.

not sure if I agree with your statement based on the above reasons.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:42 PM

Well in the thread there are guys claiming that they run 2.5" and NOS and no problems. they are pushing more HP than the guys that are blowing up. GM sends it out from the factory this way. its not making more engines to blow. the car will not be flooded. cant run that way. IT is rich but still vaporizing the fuel. THat is why I dont believe it will be worse.

cooling is not a problem the cars are not overheating. oil is not a problem as it is the top ringland that is breaking down. not the part of piston below the oil rings or any other part due to oiling.

not sure if I agree with your statement based on the above reasons.
Not to flame, but I think I need to be a little blunt about this. That thread is full of people giving advice about tuning who have never modified EFI before buying a Cobalt, and they make it blatantly obvious. Any experienced EFI tuner will list these following points as to why dumping fuel into an engine in that method is going to be a problem waiting to happen.

You're robbing rings of much needed lubrication. When you dip richer than 11-1 you start washing cylinder walls robbing rings of oil. You also contaminate your oil with gasoline.

You have a very real possiblility of melting the head. When A/F gets richer than 11.5-1 on these cars, EGTs climb very high very fast. I've seen as high as 1700 degrees until A/F was brought leaner than a flat 11. Its the fact that you're dumping still burning fuel out the exhaust valves.

Local guy here (WSFrazier) also nuked piston 4. It overheated at the oil ringland and part of the piston skirt. I'm finding a pic to post to show this.

My advise is instead of dumping fuel at the pistons making a bad situation worse, if you truly think this is a fueling issue, convert to a higher volume fuel rail or return fuel system.

Just my 2 cents.

Pic of WSFrazier's nuked piston number 4 showing damage to the bottom of the piston.

Last edited by Witt; 05-01-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 PM

Not to flame, but I think I need to be a little blunt about this. That thread is full of people giving advice about tuning who have never modified EFI before buying a Cobalt, and they make it blatantly obvious. Any experienced EFI tuner will list these following points as to why dumping fuel into an engine in that method is going to be a problem waiting to happen.

You're robbing rings of much needed lubrication. When you dip richer than 11-1 you start washing cylinder walls robbing rings of oil. You also contaminate your oil with gasoline.

You have a very real possiblility of melting the head. When A/F gets richer than 11.5-1 on these cars, EGTs climb very high very fast. I've seen as high as 1700 degrees until A/F was brought leaner than a flat 11. Its the fact that you're dumping still burning fuel out the exhaust valves.

Local guy here (WSFrazier) also nuked piston 4. It overheated at the oil ringland and part of the piston skirt. I'm finding a pic to post to show this.

My advise is instead of dumping fuel at the pistons making a bad situation worse, if you truly think this is a fueling issue, convert to a higher volume fuel rail or return fuel system.

Just my 2 cents.

Pic of WSFrazier's nuked piston number 4 showing damage to the bottom of the piston.

agreed on all levels
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Banned

Just my 2 cents.

your cobalt and mine come at 10:1 AFR stock and GMS2. Guess it is just a matter of time to pop.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 PM

I'm not trying to be an ass, but this is not something you wanna take the cheap way out on. Richening PE to solve a lean issue on cylinder 4 (if thats whats even causing these blown engines) is only going to create problems on other cylinders. If you have to run richer than 11.5-1 just to keep one cylinder from nuking, imagine how far off the others are from that 11.5-1 that your UEGO is reporting to balance out that reported average.

If this ends up being a fuel issue, the real fix is the fuel supply, not the tune.

your cobalt and mine come at 10:1 AFR stock and GMS2. Guess it is just a matter of time to pop.
Mine came out to 12.5 and steadily richened to 11-1 as adders come into play to protect the intake valves and cat. converter. Also it only made 239whp when it had GM stage 2 on it.

Also, +rep to everyone for an interesting thread.

Last edited by Witt; 05-01-2007 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Banned

I'm not trying to be an ass, but this is not something you wanna take the cheap way out on. Richening PE to solve a lean issue on cylinder 4 (if thats whats even causing these blown engines) is only going to create problems on other cylinders. If you have to run richer than 11.5-1 just to keep one cylinder from nuking, imagine how far off the others are from that 11.5-1 that your UEGO is reporting to balance out that reported average.

If this ends up being a fuel issue, the real fix is the fuel supply, not the tune.

Mine came out to 12.5 and steadily richened to 11-1 as adders come into play to protect the intake valves and cat. converter. Also it only made 239whp when it had GM stage 2 on it.

Also, +rep to everyone for an interesting thread.
I dont take what you say as being an ass. I just have seen others with 10:1 to 11:1 and leaning out there stage 2 tune to allow the IDC to come down to a manage able level. Looked like a good idea. just guestioning it due to the enrichen post. I dont know. I dont pretend to know. I think more research is needed here. I was concluding the pistons just cant hack and was not due to the tune, the enrichen tune post gave me a breath of fresh air that maybe I can run my 2.6 with out failure!?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:35 PM

I think more research is needed here.
Thats the main problem. Piston 4 is the culprit nearly everytime which indicates some kind of design issue is causing it. It may be fuel related, cooling, or oil, nobody has any concrete evidence as of yet. The only part I don't agree with is richening PE to the level that it causes even more problems.

I have a feeling that lack of proper fueling is probably going to end up being the ultimate problem, but the real solution imho is a high volume rail or return style fuel system.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:37 PM

this thread is depressing
Old 05-01-2007, 10:40 PM

ya rly

and stupid me, I went to summit to buy fittings and a pump to finish my return fuel system and instead walked out with a blue bottle. Maybe I'll get it done next week.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:32 PM

yah my ringland on the top half gave out, im sure mine was a running way hotter in cylinder #4 since i have a 3 headers im gonna run 4 egt's on a stockish car and prove that #4 is an issue with a/f so everyone is happy, i know many beyond many do belive its a fueling issue, i was looking at the block last night for any kind of possible coolant puddling, blocked lines, looked at the head and cant find any restrictions, i go to my fuel rail and bam #4 vs all the rest has a bad cut going into it, which i believe is the issue

Originally Posted by NightriderCobaltSS
so when yall blew #4 did u get a cel ?
no but u get a wrx exhuast mod lol

Last edited by sunfirejoe; 05-01-2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2007, 12:15 AM

well I figured out were the noise coming from it was a small kink in the breather catch can line lol. other than that runs beautifully. So since I have to get retuned what should the ideal a/f be to help reserve the new pistons till a new fuel rail or return line option is made?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by sunfirejoe
yah my ringland on the top half gave out, im sure mine was a running way hotter in cylinder #4 since i have a 3 headers im gonna run 4 egt's on a stockish car and prove that #4 is an issue with a/f so everyone is happy, i know many beyond many do belive its a fueling issue, i was looking at the block last night for any kind of possible coolant puddling, blocked lines, looked at the head and cant find any restrictions, i go to my fuel rail and bam #4 vs all the rest has a bad cut going into it, which i believe is the issue

no but u get a wrx exhuast mod lol
WHen you say bad cut going into #4..are you referring to that end cap and how it may go in very close (may a little over) #4 injector hole? I was looking at that too.

Nate
Old 05-02-2007, 12:34 AM

Everyone, just let me graduate ******* high school so I can devote more time to my car! I graduate in less than 20 days! After that I'm going to pull the motor and take everything to my work. At work, I will rebalance the entire rotating assembly, and lighten the crank. On top of this, we will most likely blueprint the block. I will do all that I can to figure out all the issues with the running lean and what not. Just give it time! I am also strongly thinking of doing a return fuel line.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:49 AM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
kids...
Old 05-05-2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by JapEatr
kids...
Your just jealous that my car will be faster
Old 05-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger