2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Unofficial Blown Up Engine Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assumed piston protection was just an enrichment adder.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 PM

Car will be ready for pickup tomorrow and it looks like the old motor is mine!!!

Goal = 400 hp for that one and I'll have about 3 years to achieve that.

Sound reasonable???

Oh BTW .. Lowe Chevrolet service dept Rocks!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 PM

I cracked #3 & #4 piston ring lands... to add to this thread.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:17 PM

PIcked up car with motor this morning .. runs like a champ.... woot woot !!!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by poundz9oh9
PIcked up car with motor this morning .. runs like a champ.... woot woot !!!
congrats, no more high speed retard runs
Old 09-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Lol ...... nah .. gonna baby this one .. I'll save the retard runs for when I build the other motor
Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM

Bump.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:16 PM

I never read anywhere that someone blew a motor with a 2.9 pulley on stage II tune. Can anyone confirm this. I'm honestly all about being safe. Right now I have stage II with GMP exhaust, GMP manifold, ZZP downpipe with highflow cat, Injen CAI, installing CA H/E and GMP dual pass. I have axles and exedy clutch along with all the TTR mounts (engine, tranny) My main question is can I install my 2.9 pulley from Nate and not worry about anything? Can a expert tell me if I need a tune. Guess I should also go with 1 step colder NGK plugs. Going to get the blower polished, and TB polished but no porting. Basicly with those new mods would it benefit me to get a dyno tune or just stick with the stage II tune. I'm assuming since my car runs a little bit on the rich side putting a 2.9 pulley on would do one of two things. Lean it up just a very tad bringing the stage II tune where it needs to be. and or also pushing the 42 pounds injectors to much? Anyone have any thoughts on my setup? Heat should not be a problem with H/E and dual pass along with Royal Purple Addative. Thanks guys.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 AM

ran lean blew up motor and sounded like a suby. ran car to hard without lsd i blew up diff on the tranny and had to buy a new one.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by *TRIX*
ran lean blew up motor and sounded like a suby. ran car to hard without lsd i blew up diff on the tranny and had to buy a new one.
define lean.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:01 PM

My question is...If my injector duty is reading about 113% at WOT, should I risk putting 2.9 on? Mods in sig
Old 09-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by ixwombatxi
My question is...If my injector duty is reading about 113% at WOT, should I risk putting 2.9 on? Mods in sig
one of two things will happen

either it will make it worse. or make it better. dropping pulley sizes will lean it out, TO A DEGREE. im not saying stick a 2.5 on the ca and go play, that will barf it.

you should be fine with a 2.9, just keep an eye on it.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:02 PM

thanks area...My brothers got HPT so i'll go run a wot without the 2.9, print my readouts then put the 2.9 on and wot again and see how badly it
changed.

Oh aslo Area, what should I be watching for besides injector duty?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:21 PM

well you can add me to the list, car sounds like a suby, getting dip stick blown out, idles rough. at first the dipstick wasn't blowing out, till i replaced the intake manifold gasket and the clogged cat. but it is now. looking for a built motor to buy, will prolly go with jbp .
Old 09-22-2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by poundz9oh9
Hmmm, I'm not a very descriptive person but I'll try my best ...

To me it sounded like it was on the top end, somewhere in the valvetrain ... never would quiet down when revved but OBVIOUS at idle .... never lost any power it seemed, just was noisy .. Almost like it was ran out of oil or something (which it WAS NOT!)

If it was a SBC, I would have said it it was loose rockers, bent valves etc ... but on this thing, who knows

I DO know, they didn't even tear it apart ... they had the order approved through GM based on codes it was throwing .... NEVER showed a CEL by the way..... I know I was having some hesitation issues when it was cold for a couple weeks before all this happened, I threw in some injector cleaner in the gas tank, filled it up and ran it a few days ... the hesitation lightened up, but it never went away completely.. Carbon buildup maybe ?? Who knows ... I just know it's going to be nice to store the car with a brand new motor

Side note, out of the like 4 SS/SC's in town here, two are down... mine with the engine, another guy I know had fragged his tranny and I heard his car had been sitting there for a few days ... I talked to one of the techs that I know, and he told me that the other guys car was leaking fluid from just about anywhere that had any, and the tranny was basically grenaded ... he had 2nd and 4th gears but everything else was shot ....

Not a good week for the area Cobalts I guess

From one of the techs there .....

"When Dean brought the Cobalt in I was like oh wow that is screwed up. I did, acutally, take my own little tour around the car (Mechanical stuff). To me I think the roller followers are making the noise. I am not saying you did, someone probably accidently went over redline and something broke loose on the valvetrain. Thats what I would do first is take the valve cover off first. But GM says that if there is a certain noise complaint then the whole engine needs replaced. They say don't rebuild it, replace it only! "
Really is this a policy change in the last six months? i ask cause they rebuilt my head.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
well you can add me to the list, car sounds like a suby, getting dip stick blown out, idles rough. at first the dipstick wasn't blowing out, till i replaced the intake manifold gasket and the clogged cat. but it is now. looking for a built motor to buy, will prolly go with jbp .
check your PCM.. could be bad.. i had my LSJ in saturn for a month. they flew an engineer out and after a week he said it was injector seal's which of course once fixed improved nothing. they then said it was my MAF and my K and N.. they replaced my MAF and i took off the K and N. got my low end back but no up top past 5K.. they than said it was my magnaflow muffler.. when i ended up boosting 19 pounds and it wasnt the CAT it tell you its the PCM.. ncause i was stage 2 with bolt on's.. and becuase i had every bolt on i could but they tryed to say i had my car setup for racing.. i had the subie exhaust note.. like knarley.. get your pcm looked at please. another RL i know of with the same prob's ended up with a fryed PCM..i dunno if he had the dipstick prob. i didnt and it still ran like absolute crap
Old 09-30-2007, 09:07 AM

This thread happily reminds me why I keep my car box stock, and if I mod it will strictly be St. 2 with Full Factory Warranty intact.

No CAI, no "air box mod", no pulley/injector swaps ... 'nuthin.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by firemanfrank
This thread happily reminds me why I keep my car box stock, and if I mod it will strictly be St. 2 with Full Factory Warranty intact.

No CAI, no "air box mod", no pulley/injector swaps ... 'nuthin.
Yeah, but most people don't want to stay slow.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by WSFrazier
you are correct sir!
Old 09-30-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by thedubsack85
check your PCM.. could be bad.. i had my LSJ in saturn for a month. they flew an engineer out and after a week he said it was injector seal's which of course once fixed improved nothing. they then said it was my MAF and my K and N.. they replaced my MAF and i took off the K and N. got my low end back but no up top past 5K.. they than said it was my magnaflow muffler.. when i ended up boosting 19 pounds and it wasnt the CAT it tell you its the PCM.. ncause i was stage 2 with bolt on's.. and becuase i had every bolt on i could but they tryed to say i had my car setup for racing.. i had the subie exhaust note.. like knarley.. get your pcm looked at please. another RL i know of with the same prob's ended up with a fryed PCM..i dunno if he had the dipstick prob. i didnt and it still ran like absolute crap
i allready checked the pcm, thats not the problem, its something in the valvetrain or a piston causing the blow by, either way it's time for a rebuild. or new motor.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Where is the fun in buying a built motor. That is why we break them, to have the chance to tear em open.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:46 PM

Where is the fun in buying a built motor. That is why we break them, to have the chance to tear em open.
yah but i live in an apartment right now, so building it here is a no-no. i am however keeping the old motor for just that purpose.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Area47
you are correct sir!
"Slow"= Better Than "Dead In The Water"

Think about it ...

NOTE
"Slow" is a relative term. Because no matter how fast you think your car is, there will always be a car that'll make your car look "slow".

Once again, even a is faster than a modded out car with a damaged engine.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 PM

It's all about priorities man. Go fast or just plain old go, either one requires choices and actions.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by firemanfrank
"Slow"= Better Than "Dead In The Water"

Think about it ...

NOTE
"Slow" is a relative term. Because no matter how fast you think your car is, there will always be a car that'll make your car look "slow".

Once again, even a is faster than a modded out car with a damaged engine.
i'd rather pay to play and go big myself, your always gonna have some down time with stuff like this.

Quick Reply: Unofficial Blown Up Engine Thread