2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Update: victory_red_SS project

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCswoosher2
do pistons alone on a car would be capable of how big of a gain? 30whp?
depends on what your trying to do.......normally in FI when you want more boost u buy a set of pistons for strength and to lower compression, which in turn allows for more boost, so pistons itself wont give u power.....just allows u to gain more power safer...unless your doing n/a, which is the opposite.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JCswoosher2
do pistons alone on a car would be capable of how big of a gain? 30whp?

I can say for sure but GM says pistons 10.0:1, cams and timing gears, valve spings will net 300+

Just a thought - 245 is GM rated stage II HP from 205. People are dynoing 260. If you did the pistons with stage 2 and a 2.8 pulley you goto be close. HP TUNER and you be able to get there.

I am trying to decide which way I go cause retail stage 2 pluse a pulley VS Hp Tuner set + injectors + pulley is about the same price. I dont know which will yield more power but the later can go easier with the car as it evolves.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:27 PM

yeah i just want to go ahead and change out the pistons and get over 300 and call it quits.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ssnipes
I can say for sure but GM says pistons 10.0:1, cams and timing gears, valve spings will net 300+

Just a thought - 245 is GM rated stage II HP from 205. People are dynoing 260. If you did the pistons with stage 2 and a 2.8 pulley you goto be close. HP TUNER and you be able to get there.

I am trying to decide which way I go cause retail stage 2 pluse a pulley VS Hp Tuner set + injectors + pulley is about the same price. I dont know which will yield more power but the later can go easier with the car as it evolves.
Who is dynoing 260 with stage 2? I'm getting 242whp. Click on DYNO in my sig. 300 may be possible with the mods you listed.

I just found out that GM will build you a 400hp 2.2l for $5,000.
So if you get a base model $15,000 and the GM engine build. You spent about $20,000 and it's turn-key straight from GM. That's less than I paid for my ss/sc. Even if you went $22,000 that's cheap.

I feel violated.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:34 PM

yea something about that Gardella guy just built a 500hp LS. I heard it was on TV.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
Who is dynoing 260 with stage 2? I'm getting 242whp. Click on DYNO in my sig. 300 may be possible with the mods you listed.

So if you get a base model $15,000 and the GM engine build. You spent about $20,000 and it's turn-key straight from GM. That's less than I paid for my ss/sc. Even if you went $22,000 that's cheap.

I feel violated.
lol dont forget about the need for clutch, mounts, tires (ls are 16 steelies), your side skirts, interior differences, axles, etc. suspension. getrag tranny without LSD vs F35 and if you ordered LSD.

dont feel to violated
Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 PM

I feel violated.

WHO WHAT WHERE WHEN ?!?!

Seriously, details please, I would kill for that.

- Solo
Old 06-21-2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltR
Using VW as an example is not the same in this application. VW did not build that car for the purpose of making huge power and for people to race. Is this setup a waste of money??....possibly...know one really knows....no one has got a twin setup on their car running. If someone can get this to work..it'll be awesome and I wish victory red the best. I can grasp the power to be made with this system and does sound good and looks good on paper....but it is complicated and will cost alot of money. Tuning is obviously gonna to be the biggest issue...it already is for all cobalt owners, but now we're talking about trying to tune two FI systems on one car.
Complicated, a lot of money, and about the closest you can come to knowing what it is to strap into a cat launched fighter jet or rocket powered sled. I once had a chance to drive a 959 twin turbo and even being forwarned and having experience driving cars that could accelerate somewhat like that, I kept coming close to going off the road when the second turbo kicked in. An option like this would be enough to get me to have a second, full race Cobalt built for the fun of it.

- Solo
Old 06-21-2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by SoloSK71
WHO WHAT WHERE WHEN ?!?!

Seriously, details please, I would kill for that.

- Solo
I'm dead serious. Call Crate Engine Depot. You can buy the car like that but like ssnipes says you do have extra goodies with the ss/sc. You can get a turn key 400hp 2.2l base model Cobalt for about $20-$22,000.

The phone number. 800-441-5150

P.S. I don't feel very violated just a little. This turn-key car dosen't have much for goodies it's just all motor.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:59 PM

I just want people to start doing heads, cams, pistons so i can see how much it will cost and what will happen to the motors and the power gains they get
Old 06-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Banned

I'm dead serious. Call Crate Engine Depot. You can buy the car like that but like ssnipes says you do have extra goodies with the ss/sc. You can get a turn key 400hp 2.2l base model Cobalt for about $20-$22,000.

The phone number. 800-441-5150

P.S. I don't feel very violated just a little. This turn-key car dosen't have much for goodies it's just all motor.
Is that not just the motor for $5000. you have to get the old one to them as a core and put the new one in. so you either do it yourself or pay. there goes another grand to 1500.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 PM

Is that not just the motor for $5000. you have to get the old one to them as a core and put the new one in. so you either do it yourself or pay. there goes another grand to 1500.
It's $20,000 if you do it yourself. That's why I was saying $20-$22,000
Good call on the price. $1,000-$2,000 for the laybor.

Hey man $22,000 for a 400hp Cobalt......Nasty! Cosmetics come later I guess.
Either way that's one cheap ass 400hp car.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 PM

aaaaahhhhhhh lol.......man im getting my car tomorrow. the mods listed on my signature. If i dont get 260 whp. im going to be pissed
Old 06-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

I feel violated.
Well maybe I am wrong but with a few other mods they are doing 260whp.

but in your case you are doing 242 and with say 15% drivetrain loss you are conservatively pushing close to 270 to 280. not bad. pistons would get you 300HP especially if you were to push rev limit to 7500 with valve spring change.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:00 AM

It's $20,000 if you do it yourself. That's why I was saying $20-$22,000
Good call on the price. $1,000-$2,000 for the laybor.

Hey man $22,000 for a 400hp Cobalt......Nasty! Cosmetics come later I guess.
Either way that's one cheap ass 400hp car.

Like you said in an earlier post, it is all engine.

Everyone has to keep in mind there are so many other pieces to the puzzle like half- shafts, etc. The bill would eventually be up there.

Not a bad deal though. $5000 for a good to go engine is a great starting point.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:40 AM
iso

Using VW as an example is not the same in this application. VW did not build that car for the purpose of making huge power and for people to race. Is this setup a waste of money??....possibly...know one really knows....no one has got a twin setup on their car running. If someone can get this to work..it'll be awesome and I wish victory red the best. I can grasp the power to be made with this system and does sound good and looks good on paper....but it is complicated and will cost alot of money. Tuning is obviously gonna to be the biggest issue...it already is for all cobalt owners, but now we're talking about trying to tune two FI systems on one car.
actually twincharging has been proven effective. go on google an d search for the twincharged mini coopers. there's a kit out for them already, so i'd say it's been proven to work.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:51 AM

Well maybe I am wrong but with a few other mods they are doing 260whp.

but in your case you are doing 242 and with say 15% drivetrain loss you are conservatively pushing close to 270 to 280. not bad. pistons would get you 300HP especially if you were to push rev limit to 7500 with valve spring change.
Good call. 300 seems right with pistons and a valve spring change. Can't beat the power to price ratio hah?

Originally Posted by Matty
Like you said in an earlier post, it is all engine.

Everyone has to keep in mind there are so many other pieces to the puzzle like half- shafts, etc. The bill would eventually be up there.

Not a bad deal though. $5000 for a good to go engine is a great starting point.
Yeah all motor. Good track car though. That is a great starting point. I like the toys though.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Banned

Good call. 300 seems right with pistons and a valve spring change. Can't beat the power to price ratio hah?

Yeah all motor. Good track car though. That is a great starting point. I like the toys though.
just a sillly thought. can a 2.2 be put into the ss/sc? I figure why not just by the motor and put it in, HP tune it and done. then be gentle till you get axles.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:13 AM

good price ratio? pistons will cost like $2000 labor and then the price of pistons right?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:36 AM

what do you mean no one has this done.

Keith from Desired customs has a twincharged cobalt (the Hann prototype to be exact), and someone on this forum ' Twincharged ' as a twincharged redline.
it's already been done and working.
I remember keith was putting over 400WHP, and he still required a lot more tuneing, he only got it running so that he was able to show up to the SCN (Sport Compact Night) show in Toronto.

JCswoosher2

I got JBP Stage 2 cams already done. thats my dyno sheet you see on the JBP website.
I gained about 12WHPwith the bypass valve on, about 23WHP with the Bypass mod, and made the same HP as stock a whole 1000RPM sooner. if you look at the dyno you'll see that I lost about 10WHP at 1000RPM but I quickly make more power, and after about 2800RPM I'm start making more power then stock and it quickly keeps building more.

the problem is that the stage 2 cam requires tuneing to get it's full potential.
you need:
larger injectores
HP tuners to disable the boost bypass
and tuning for the cams will probably yeild major gains
Old 06-22-2006, 11:18 AM

^^^Word, there are quite a few guys who have done it. Actually the first time I ever saw it done was on an import like 6 years ago or so.

And sure a twin screw is better than a roots blower, but even with that you will have to custom fabricate mounting and intakes and everything to get it to work with the 2.0. I think turbo's are easier to fab and install than blowers personally.

There are several turbo manifolds for the 2.2 eco currently available, we may get lucky and find one that fits well. If so, all that would require custom fab would be the charge tubes and the downtube.

Until someone converts to a twin screw blower, and for less than what the twincharge would cost, who's to say it will be more cost effective? I can say that at the same PSI and HP levels, the twincharged care will certainly make more power and TQ sooner and have a much broader area under both curves.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by iso
actually twincharging has been proven effective. go on google an d search for the twincharged mini coopers. there's a kit out for them already, so i'd say it's been proven to work.
I meant on a cobalt...sorry...I know twin charging has been around.....look at how much it costs to make that system for the minis too, between 3700-4000 for the kit + install if u cant do it, then if you want more boost...more upgrades are needed=lots of money thats all.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:51 PM

^^twinchargeing has been done on both cobalts and redlines
Old 06-22-2006, 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=player_1]what do you mean no one has this done.

Keith from Desired customs has a twincharged cobalt (the Hann prototype to be exact), and someone on this forum ' Twincharged ' as a twincharged redline.
it's already been done and working.
I remember keith was putting over 400WHP, and he still required a lot more tuneing, he only got it running so that he was able to show up to the SCN (Sport Compact Night) show in Toronto.

I meant there isnt a kit that is finished yet for the cobalt. All I'm saying is that in my opinion there isnt a cost effective and reliable twincharged setup available for cars. The mini is one example...but I dont think that if is the best route unless u want to be unique and their is vw coming out..but that was built for better fuel economy and emissions....not to be their new sports car. If twincharging was both cost effective and reliable wouldnt u see more of them around???? how about on a cobra?????? but u dont. I hope hahn or who ever victory ss is using can.....I think that would be great for cobalt community dont u?
Old 06-22-2006, 07:14 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
I meant there isnt a kit that is finished yet for the cobalt. All I'm saying is that in my opinion there isnt a cost effective and reliable twincharged setup available for cars. .. I hope hahn or who ever victory ss is using can.....I think that would be great for cobalt community dont u?
The only way there is going to be a kit for everyone is for someone to be the guinnea pig and considering all I am doing to my engine I am the perfect lab rat so these kits can be made. Don't forget one day there were no Cobalts and now there are. Now there are no kits available but soon there will be and then we will all know whether this is all good or not.

Quick Reply: Update: victory_red_SS project