2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

victory_red_SS goes RWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSteveSC
can you take some pics showing the front end of the car.. with the motor in the engine bay.. im trying to get some ideas on dropping a 6.0l in my car and doing the rear wheel drive conversion without going full out race.
Just buy a RWD car! It will be cheaper.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea no ****, this is hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted. Just buy a rwd car.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 214 Likes on 173 Posts
not your money dont worry about it, to some being creative and doing something different is more important.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
not your money dont worry about it, to some being creative and doing something different is more important.
how is it different if rods already done it? that makes the other guy anpother follower...nothing original about that...
Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 264 Likes on 223 Posts
in reality what rods doing is nothing much different than a cobalt stock eliminator car. they cut the floor out, put a 2x3 square tube chassis under it, have a 9" rear end with a 4 link, a strut front suspention, they retain a full interior and they are mostly factory body panels aside from the hood. there are litterally hundreds of those things out there, and with very little work could be made street legal (mainly exhaust and tires, most of them still have functioning lights). a step up would be what a lot of guys do for super gas/super comp/ comp eliminator, they build a full tube chassis and its basicly a cobalt body made to fit a chassis. typically have no interior and basicly look like a cobalt on the outside only.

a rwd cobalt, yea its different but not original. they have been running cobalt drag cars since the begining of 05.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 PM

hey rod....

nah nah /, nah nah nah.

ps, the cobalt came to life today......

Last edited by firestorm; 09-08-2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-09-2009, 07:52 AM

Lol looks like the setup I wanted
For the camaro untill I might have settled on the procharger but have to get the car first and that means getting rid of the cobalt not an easy task.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:08 AM

my cobalt is a company lease, not quite up yet.....camaro is personal--free title.
i have some american racing long tube headers otw now, and i need to decide on an
intake, and that is as modded as the new car will get. shooting for 525-550 whp.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by firestorm
hey rod....

nah nah /, nah nah nah.

ps, the cobalt came to life today......
You my friend are not a nice man
Old 09-22-2009, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey rod any update on anything? even if its just the DD what ever happened to the vancouver meet?..cause thats obviously gone since its the 22nd already haha ..i'd like to try and see this while i myself still have a cobalt at least lol (although it doesn't look like its selling any way LOL)
Old 09-22-2009, 11:17 AM

Wow been a while since I looked at this thread, awesome progress and some changes along the way.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:52 PM

I don't want to re-read the whole thread, but is this manual or auto and what power level are you expecting?
Old 11-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
You my friend are not a nice man
That camaro will be nasty though lol.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 PM

it doesn't take hundreds of thousands of dollars to make a high horsepower rwd cobalt. But this project has taken hundreds of thousands of dollars to make a 0 horsepower rwd cobalt.

just buy a rwd car.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:47 PM

^^^seriously? after all the crap JBP put him through. thats where the money was wasted, its not like he wanted to spend all that money
Old 11-08-2009, 10:54 PM

wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut the hell is going on with this
Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by ralliartist
it doesn't take hundreds of thousands of dollars to make a high horsepower rwd cobalt. But this project has taken hundreds of thousands of dollars to make a 0 horsepower rwd cobalt.

just buy a rwd car.
srsly!

Stop being a ass, Rod has been threw a lot with JBP and those thousands of dollars is their fault!

Think before you speak from your ass again next time
Old 11-09-2009, 07:27 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

The Non-Update Update

For all of you you are following the project, I will have an official update this coming Friday evening. This update will include updated pictures as of Friday.

I have made some decisions and moved forward in that direction. The project is very fluid right now as I am basing decisions based on 'the best bang for the buck'.

While the biggest obstacle right now is balancing the cost and future lawyer bills, I am trying to keep this project on track without scaring my wife. I was just laid of from a great job which greatly impacts my disposable income so the wife may become more inclined to say "stop for a while" as we pay the lawyer costs.

I am still optomistic that the car will be ready for the opening of track season in the spring. Once we are at a certain point with the project, it will come home so that I can do the interior and prep for paint.

On a side note, the DD now has 3,000 miles on this engine and I have no complaints so far. It is really nice having a car that I can turn the key and drive, something I have not had since I tore the engine out of the project car.

So this Friday come on back and I will have an update. If you are registered for my website newsletter you will get the update in your email.

Rod
Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 PM

awesome man good stuf.. that blows about your job though :-(
Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
nice man, well except the job thing. Trying to get some money your way for parts, but god it's like pulling teeth these days
Old 11-10-2009, 10:09 AM

Yeah, I'll see what I can do, but my wife has been unemployed since the beginning of August so money has been tight with us...especially with my block needing to be re-sleeved...

...it may have to wait to be an x-mas present,
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 AM

****, how you roll with the punches the way you do is well beyond me. Thanks for the update, I look forward to seeing this beast roar. Stick with it. You seem like a smart guy, I wouldn't worry too much about the job thing. There is going to be an upswing in Jan (Q1 for most companies). Things are getting better.

I just hope some sort of sponsorship or financial return comes your way after all this, everyone knows you deserve it man.

Maybe we sign a contract that says everyone listed will by at least x dollars from said company, providing said company sponsors you... It's a win - win.

Last edited by SuperchargedSS; 11-10-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Talking UPDATE, it's late but it's here

UPDATE

Well, it is time again to have an official update regarding the project.

The project continues to move forward, just not in a straight line. As we plan to finish this car one way something comes up and dictates that we re-evaluate the previous plan. At one point we were going to use a F Series Procharger, then it changed to a Magnuson Twin Screw. Well due to space restrictions, we are back to using the F Series Procharger. Apparently we were short a mere 3/4" of clearance to fit the twinscrew under the cross member support just under the windshield. The good news is that the Procharger allows me to retain the stock hood.

Another component that we have gone back and forth on is the choice of transmission to use for the project. I had always wanted to use a manual, I even own the Tremec T-56 although it won't allow us to shift higher than 7200 rpm and the LS2 we are building will be very capable of 8,000 rpm. We then considered using a Powerglide, then a Lenko then back to the T-56. While I rationed that the T-56 would work long enough until I was able to drive this car to the T-56's limits, the added cost of the bellhousing and clutch started to make this plan non cost effective. So it has been decided that we will go with a Powerglide with a 4,000 stall torque converter. The powerglide has been bought and I got an awesome deal through Resnicks who just happened to know a couple of people selling race prepped powwerglides.

Now that we had the transmission that we will use, the firewall is close to being completed. The pedals have been mounted and we did a test fit today for the placement of the steering wheel/column. We have opted to use an after market steering column because the length of the stock column was to short considering how far I sit back in the car due to the engine being moved back. We are also using aftermarket pedals because the stock ones also weren't going to work properly for me.

We ran into a hiccup with the pistons because when they arrived they were the wrong size so back they went and now we wait for the right ones to be made, considering these are custom pistons. We did just receive the SCAT racing crankshaft and it is a beauty. It has been radiused, cross drilled, lightening holed, heat treated and nitrided. It is made out of E4340 and is ready for installation.

While I was at Resnick's today he was going over more of the specifications and the couple of things that most people will care about are 434 CID, 1200-1300 BHP and 2500lbs curb weight. The estimated time that this car will run in the 1/4 mile is far lower than I had previously expected, so for now I will imagine how it that would feel.

The car will be ready to start the wiring sometime next week and then the suspension & brakes will tweaked as we wait for the pistons to arrive. While there is still a lot to do on the car, it is really encouraging to see it making progress. There will still be some time to wait before it is finished and some of that will be because of funds for the project. Sadly I was laid off of work last week and winter tends to be the slow time in my trade as it is for many others.

On another note, I have received some test results on components that were made by the previous shop in control of my build. Those results clearly prove the bad engineering & workmanship that went into those parts. We are now very close to start the legal fight to reclaim our lost money from that company.

Well that is it for now. I will let you all no more as it happens. If you can't wait until then please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Rod

ps

Here are some pictures as of today.

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
****, how you roll with the punches the way you do is well beyond me. Thanks for the update, I look forward to seeing this beast roar. Stick with it. You seem like a smart guy, I wouldn't worry too much about the job thing. There is going to be an upswing in Jan (Q1 for most companies). Things are getting better.

I just hope some sort of sponsorship or financial return comes your way after all this, everyone knows you deserve it man.

Maybe we sign a contract that says everyone listed will by at least x dollars from said company, providing said company sponsors you... It's a win - win.
I have moments when I definitely get down but I am never out. I don't understand the concept of giving up even though I may think about it at times. I must say that many times it has been the many people who care about this project that lift me up when I have needed it. For that I say, 'thank you'
Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 PM

om g man OMG WHATS WITH YOU AN NO TOWEL WARNINGS!!!!!

and 1300 BHP at 2500.. you're going to have a full cage in that thing and a cute right? lol
Old 11-19-2009, 09:20 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by elecblue06
om g man OMG WHATS WITH YOU AN NO TOWEL WARNINGS!!!!!

and 1300 BHP at 2500.. you're going to have a full cage in that thing and a cute right? lol
Yes that has occured to us so we already have a Simpson chute and the cage will be good for 6 seconds

Quick Reply: victory_red_SS goes RWD