2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

victory_red_SS goes RWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by eurochevy
LOL u can't even gamble yet ........and ya my dad is turnin 52 this year so w/e ur the spend money on cars role model
What do you mean??? This whole project has been a gamble....

As far as role model, I would say I am a better example of 'how not to build a race car' when spending money on a car.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
What do you mean??? This whole project has been a gamble....

As far as role model, I would say I am a better example of 'how not to build a race car' when spending money on a car.
Words of wisdom
Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

mini update

I was at the shop the other day and we discovered something that no one has pointed out before. The new position of the front tires place them directly underneath the supports for the front fenders without enough clearance to allow for the car to 'drop' if lifting the wheels off of the ground, as well as when the front end squats at higher speeds on the race track.

There are aa couple of options that we are looking at, one of which is having a mold made of my stock front end and making a stock looking, one piece fiberglass front end. This not only solves the problem but will sure make it easier for me to work on the front section of the car. The cost is supposed to be fairly reasonable and I will retain the mold for future use.

In another development, we are looking at using the Wilson Manifold's Billet manifold for the LS2. It is a sweet piece and will withstand all of the boost we throw at it. I should have more info on both of these items when I get back from my course late next week.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like this less rod.. one piece front end takes away from it being a cobalt imo.. it looks more like a race car.. I understand the reasoning but still
Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by elecblue06
i like this less rod.. one piece front end takes away from it being a cobalt imo.. it looks more like a race car.. I understand the reasoning but still
How do you figure???? It would have to be the stock SS/SC front end look. How does missing the seams and the hood lines make this look less like a Cobalt. This has to retain the fogs, lights and grill holes.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
How do you figure???? It would have to be the stock SS/SC front end look. How does missing the seams and the hood lines make this look less like a Cobalt. This has to retain the fogs, lights and grill holes.
because it's not technically stock body.. same way you wouldn't qualify for a stock class at the track .. if it's all one fiberglass mold personally it just strikes me as a straight up track race car.. after seeing the GM race cars .. and seeing that setup ..to me what makes your build so impressive is the fact that it's EXACTLY stock and you've made everything work .. it's just me though i'm being a stickler with a front end clip it's not quite as impressive
Old 02-13-2010, 10:17 PM

Yeah, its kinda like a body kit imo. Same type of thing to me so that doesnt take away from being a cobalt as long as you do in fact use the stocker lights, fogs ect... My only dislike with your car Rod is the fact of the motor swap. I personally would have loved to see the lsj in there but I am well aware of the reason why that wouldnt/couldnt work. That is the type of thing along with all the other mods that take away from the car being a "cobalt" imo. But that doesnt matter anyhow since she is going to be a beast nonetheless. I do wish you luck with the finish line in sight and I look forward to meeting you this summer hopefully at Bud park in Edmonton.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:41 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

because it's not technically stock body.. same way you wouldn't qualify for a stock class at the track .. if it's all one fiberglass mold personally it just strikes me as a straight up track race car.. after seeing the GM race cars .. and seeing that setup ..to me what makes your build so impressive is the fact that it's EXACTLY stock and you've made everything work .. it's just me though i'm being a stickler with a front end clip it's not quite as impressive
Originally Posted by Angel
Yeah, its kinda like a body kit imo. Same type of thing to me so that doesnt take away from being a cobalt as long as you do in fact use the stocker lights, fogs ect... My only dislike with your car Rod is the fact of the motor swap. I personally would have loved to see the lsj in there but I am well aware of the reason why that wouldnt/couldnt work. That is the type of thing along with all the other mods that take away from the car being a "cobalt" imo. But that doesnt matter anyhow since she is going to be a beast nonetheless. I do wish you luck with the finish line in sight and I look forward to meeting you this summer hopefully at Bud park in Edmonton.
I will consider both of your points and add them to the cost factor, which I should have by the end of next week.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:48 AM

honestly i'm going to love your car either way.. but it'd be more zwtf if it was 100% stock looking on the out side(aside frome the rims and tires esp in the back) i have faith in you lol you'll be crazy like usual and make something happen..

i understand the money issue. and making something totally stock looking if it means it's going to cost an extra 3 k isn't worth it .. but honestly .. i've seen a built/350 big block stuck in a ek hatch lol and they retained the full stock body/ interior lol so i guess i'm just holding you to a stupid high standard lol

partially i'm sticking up for what you initially wanted. you wanted a full street car.. you didn't want it to look like a track car that could be on the street.and full front clips make me think of that .. remember there was a shop that built a car like that on here .. you're supposed to be a first at things :P no pressure lol
Old 02-14-2010, 12:01 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

honestly i'm going to love your car either way.. but it'd be more zwtf if it was 100% stock looking on the out side(aside frome the rims and tires esp in the back) i have faith in you lol you'll be crazy like usual and make something happen..

i understand the money issue. and making something totally stock looking if it means it's going to cost an extra 3 k isn't worth it .. but honestly .. i've seen a built/350 big block stuck in a ek hatch lol and they retained the full stock body/ interior lol so i guess i'm just holding you to a stupid high standard lol

partially i'm sticking up for what you initially wanted. you wanted a full street car.. you didn't want it to look like a track car that could be on the street.and full front clips make me think of that .. remember there was a shop that built a car like that on here .. you're supposed to be a first at things :P no pressure lol
You know until you mentioned it, I never thought about the 'popping the hood' part because that is a really important part. I have choices to be made and I am instructing the shop to give me a cost commitment each way. If the cost is close then it is a no brainer. If there is a big cost difference then I need to choose the option best to get this done.

While this project is going to be finished, my finacial woes never went away. I don't say much about them because I dislike whiners and I believe the fund raiser has ran it's course with those inclined to help having already done so. Having said that, I try to keep the cost down because I am afraid of getting to the place where my wife says "no more RRSP money" which is where this is coming from. So yes cost is a big thing.

I guess there are a couple of other things that are good about the car having a one piece front end, no one will be 'looking under my hood' to see what I am hiding. Another is that when/if the car becomes a dedicated track car, I will be prepared for getting at hte engine bay quicker. This would not happen for 2-3 summers at the very least if at all.

The very ironic thing in all of this is that when I originally started this project, I was only going for 350-400 fwhp with an over built engine and I now have that in my DD. I don't talk much about my DD simply because people care about this project so the DD seems unworthy of a build thread.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so this clearance issue i take it is a JBP leftover mess? shitty!

And i like to hear about the DD!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
ok so this clearance issue i take it is a JBP leftover mess? shitty!

And i like to hear about the DD!
yes i would love to hear about the daily driver!
btw those tc badges you sent me spruced up my car nicely
Old 02-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want to hear about the DD too, haha. i almost forget you even have one. PICTURES NAOW!!
Old 02-14-2010, 02:43 PM

I heard about it. you finally get it broke in?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:01 PM

yea i understand your thing about ti .. idk for me i'd love to actually pop the hood of your beast hehe but it would be fun to lift the hole front end off backwards too lol

yea i understand your thing about ti .. idk for me i'd love to actually pop the hood of your beast hehe but it would be fun to lift the hole front end off backwards too lol

Last edited by elecblue06; 02-14-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 AM

HAPPY 200th PAGE! I've been trolling this forum since page one and I love the work you've done.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:44 AM

ya you actually never did talk about the DD...how is that thing..its blue right?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Talking Drag racing school play by play...

Okay everyone, I finished the first day of drag school today.

It started off with some paper work and then some class time to review things from the manual.

Then we went outside and got our race suits and went over the cars we would be driving. We then went over to the track and were instructed in what to do and where to go.

After that we looked at the run board and found our placements. I was running #7 which put me in the 3rd batch of runs.

We all need to have 6 runs to earn our NHRA license 2 of which mut be full 1/4 mile runs. The first run would be a 200' pass and if all goes well there will be a 600', a 1.000' and then 1/4 mile passes.

On my first run I discovered that all of the 'newness' of this was quite nerve wracking. I had several things to do all the while focusing on remembering to make a good run.

Well let me say that my first run wasn't as good as I thought it was
My first burnout sucked and when I launched, I have to admit, I was not ready for how fast 700HP makes the car take off. The car was lined up slightly pointing left and because of that went slightly left. I corrected although it was slower than it should have been because of 'rookie overload'

Then we headed in to review the runs, the result being I repeated the 200' pass on my next run. The embarassment was eased when 50% of the class had to repeat the first run.

On my second run did a bit better on the burnout but you would think I was paying for the rubber because again it sucked. The 200' run was a better run and I improved on several aspects resulting in me moving up tp a 600' the next run.

On my 3rd run, I was starting to relax finally. I improved on the burnout and staged the car well. I was comfortable in doing the 600' run and I was progressed to the 1,000' and final run of the day.

This run I nailed my burnout and finally I know what a car looks like when smoke fills the cockpit. I staged the car with no issues and when the amber light lit up I released the transbrake and took off like a shot. When I was passing the 600' mark my smile kept growing and by the time I shut down I knew I had nailed that run. I don't know how fast I was moving (yet) but I was :party::party: The last run was the best and I am so looking forward to tomorrow. I am not sure if I will need to do extra runs tomorrow but I did come prepared to do 2-3 if needed. Tomorrow is going to be great and there will be pics/video afterwards.

I am expecting tomorrow night will be more celebraton than sorrow.

DD Update

Yes I know I have been lax n talking about the laser blue DD. Because I had so many issues with it from the get go, I haven't even bothered to take pictures. I will remedy all of that once I have a bit of time the week after I get back from this course.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 PM

Sounds like an awesome day at the track!
We're going to try and have a mini-meet in March or April; you should come out with the DD Rod.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by WhiteFiver
Sounds like an awesome day at the track!
We're going to try and have a mini-meet in March or April; you should come out with the DD Rod.
Sounds good to me.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you're having a great time. Glad to hear you'll be ready for your car when it's ready for you...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=victory_red_SS;4685671]I was at the shop the other day and we discovered something that no one has pointed out before. The new position of the front tires place them directly underneath the supports for the front fenders without enough clearance to allow for the car to 'drop' if lifting the wheels off of the ground, as well as when the front end squats at higher speeds on the race track.QUOTE]

Surely they can modify the supports rather than creating a whole new front end?

What was changed on the position of the front tires? Surely there is a cheaper fix than a one piece front end. Are there any pictures of ours that would help?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:15 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Cool Drag Racing School is complete!

Originally Posted by iroc mitch
Surely they can modify the supports rather than creating a whole new front end?...What was changed on the position of the front tires? Surely there is a cheaper fix than a one piece front end. Are there any pictures of ours that would help?
I will be discussing all of this with the shop this Friday. Before I left for my course I emailed instructions not to proceed without my final 'say so'.

Drag Racing School Pictures & Timeslips

First off I want to say thank you to Jeremie (G85_SS) for coming out to meet me today. He took a lot of pictures and a couple of video clips of my last 2 1/4 mile runs.

Thanks Jeremie!!!!

Second I want to say sorry for those who can't see photobucket. Let me know and I will try something else.

Third, by now the pictures may have loaded but probably not. I didn't resize them.

Fourth, I had an absolutely awesome time at the course and I suggest everyone who wants to experience big power, Take the Course!!!

Fifth, I know some of you are going to jump all over my reaction times and to you I say, . The focus of this course was to go from and absolutely unexperienced dragstrip person and learn how to do something really cool.

Anyways onto the pictures. I will be uploading some more but these are of me and a 1/4 mile run.

Me and the 700HP Firebird

Me heading to the burnout box and doing the burnout

All of the slips from my 7 passes. Ask Jeremie why I did a 7th as I had passed with my first 6.

I passed, NHRA license coming soon.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Here are some shots of the cars we ran. The baby dragster was actually the one that the only girl in the class got qualified for.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 PM

Rod, welcome to the 150club!

we can compare drag racing exploits now!

hell of a feeling hitting the traps at that speed eh? chute territory!

well done man!!!!

Quick Reply: victory_red_SS goes RWD