2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

victory_red_SS goes RWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just sent you a pm
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM

Can't wait to see this thing when it's done.

You should come to CED this year. haha
Old 02-15-2011, 07:51 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Omega1x
Can't wait to see this thing when it's done.

You should come to CED this year. haha
That would be a really good time but the car won't ever drive that type of distance and shipping is a bit expensive. Now if someone has a truck & trailer and wants to pick us up and bring us back then I am all for it.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 PM

this is great that the projects still on rod!! and yes CED you have to come if im going from canada LOL
Old 02-15-2011, 08:04 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by alexx
this is great that the projects still on rod!!
Once again I have my wife to thank for that.
Originally Posted by alexx
and yes CED you have to come if im going from canada LOL
Sure thing Alexx except we are on different sides of Canada. Then again if someone can figure out how to get my car there without costing me my last nut, then I am game to be there.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
Mini Update

The wheelie bars are finally mounted as well as cut to their final size. Next I will need to have to make some adjustments to the back skirt. The wheelie bars won't allow for the back piece to remain totally stock so I need to figure out how to proceed.
You might have this figured out but this video I think shows the best what we did to make the skirt work with the wheelie bars. Don't mind me juggling the camera while he's staging.

Can't wait to see this beast finished!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by iroc mitch
You might have this figured out but this video I think shows the best what we did to make the skirt work with the wheelie bars. Don't mind me juggling the camera while he's staging.

Can't wait to see this beast finished!!!!!!
So if I am seeing it correctly, you only removed a bit of the back, enough to fit bars through. How long did that take and how sturdy is what is left? My concern is for the times that I am driving on the street or going to some local show & shines.

As for seeing the beast when she is done, we both agree on it being too long already. When I played the clip my wife teased me about the sound being my car. When I told her how fast you got the car done, she asked me what my problem was. I told her "I had the wrong people doing it from the start".

I hope that before too long I have a car that sounds sooooo good that I smile ear to ear.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
So if I am seeing it correctly, you only removed a bit of the back, enough to fit bars through. How long did that take and how sturdy is what is left? My concern is for the times that I am driving on the street or going to some local show & shines.
Hell we just marked where they needed to be cut and cut them with a sawzall with a metal blade. You could take a sander and smooth them out as well. The plastic is still very sturdy, but for some insurance you could lay a piece of rod inside the bumper and out to the end of where it just hangs and fiberglass it in if you want, but we didn't.

As for seeing the beast when she is done, we both agree on it being too long already. When I played the clip my wife teased me about the sound being my car. When I told her how fast you got the car done, she asked me what my problem was. I told her "I had the wrong people doing it from the start".

I hope that before too long I have a car that sounds sooooo good that I smile ear to ear.
I can't wait to see it. Get that thing done.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh damn just saw its back on. congrats this was one project i been really wanting to see done
Old 02-23-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
omg i just popped in figuring it was another sad sad time in cobalt history when its the complete opposite. so glad to hear that its back on and rod your wife is awesome, don't even let her go. tie her to a chair if you have to hahaha
Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 PM

bump for the build!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:48 AM

I wouldn't worry about the lip at all with cut outs like that. Should stay put just fine.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 PM

i followed this thing the whole way.............. im getting excited
Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 PM

Great looking pics Rod!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:36 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by JL-KA
I wouldn't worry about the lip at all with cut outs like that. Should stay put just fine.
Hell we just marked where they needed to be cut and cut them with a sawzall with a metal blade. You could take a sander and smooth them out as well. The plastic is still very sturdy, but for some insurance you could lay a piece of rod inside the bumper and out to the end of where it just hangs and fiberglass it in if you want, but we didn't.
This is the option that we are looking at and we will know better once we get the car to the track and see how much the wheelie bars are going to move. For the first runs I will just leave off the back lower lip.

I can't wait to see it. Get that thing done.
I assure you that I am working on that.

Originally Posted by outtamymind
Originally Posted by Kyle4236
oh damn just saw its back on. congrats this was one project i been really wanting to see done
omg i just popped in figuring it was another sad sad time in cobalt history when its the complete opposite. so glad to hear that its back on and rod your wife is awesome, don't ever let her go. tie her to a chair if you have to hahaha
The biggest reason it is back on is definitely because my wife is the greatest woman for me.

Originally Posted by EthensCobalt
i followed this thing the whole way.............. im getting excited
I will admit that there are days where it seems like this will really get on to the track/road.

Originally Posted by firestorm
Originally Posted by tityrous
Great looking pics Rod!
bump for the build!
On those two notes, lets do another positive update.

Okay, I have been waiting a while to get the time to do a couple of updates but work/overtime has been really killing me lately. That is the price I have to pay to keep the wife happy which keeps the project rolling forward.

One of the biggest concerns that has plagued the project has been the front suspension and cross member. There has been considerable time spent looking at how this car was going to track correctly whether it be on the race track or on the street. Keep in mind that originally this project was going to have a 4 cyl Ecotec and it is easier to see where the concerns come from. While the Ecotec was parts of the plan there were still issues with the front suspension/steering and at one point I was told that that I had to choose, either track or street. As most of you know, I chose option C; street & track.

Largely due to the many years of Resnick's racing experience, I have been benefitting from his large resources of contacts and knowledge. With Resnick knowing many places to get certain components, he found the cross member/double wishbone suspension that we are now using in the car. These parts were in no way designed with my project in mind so while Resnick chose the kit, he knew that he would have to make this kit fit. I have some pictures with the new parts before and after install, as well as pictures of what the front suspension/cross member looked like before Resnick started cutting and changing things.

While the pictures show the differences it is hard to see all of the technical components of changing the front end. The car has been squared within .01 of an inch. Resnick was only able to get 104.5"s for the wheel base. Anything longer would have required redoing the front end style extension similar to the FWD Race Cobalts. That expense isn't an option so I will live with the 104.5"s. The dual wishbone suspension will allow me to drive this on the street and not struggle with turning. The new cross member also allows for a positive number scrub level, which is needed to pass a government inspection.

I believe I have already mentioned that because I bought skinnier Weld Racing Prostars for the front and a set of Prostars with a larger back space for the back, I will now use the originally purchased Prostars for my street wheels. Considering that I am old as dirt, these style wheels will do me just fine for the street use. Heck, while the wife and I watched the Rock in Faster last night I told her that the wheels on his Chevelle SS looked just like mine.

Anyways enough jammering, here are the pictures. The pics that have the Paint lines are the original parts that Resnick cut out and replaced. The other pics are the new parts installed. The install isn't complete yet as Resnick figures another 2-3 days to have it all working seemlessly.

Thanks for caring enough to keep following along with me,

Rod

Old 03-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Looking great!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Looking great!
Yes it does. I am starting to get excited. I am not sure if I will allow my hopes to get too high but positive is good.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
OOooo it's lookin good man, I can't wait to see her in person.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 PM

keep on it rod!!
i too still have doofuses screwing me over for parts paid in advance.
why cant the world work on a smile and a handshake anymore.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:23 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

2nd update this week.

Originally Posted by YelloEye
OOooo it's lookin good man, I can't wait to see her in person.
It may very well be sooner than any of us think

Originally Posted by firestorm
keep on it rod!!
i too still have doofuses screwing me over for parts paid in advance.
why cant the world work on a smile and a handshake anymore.
You can count on the fact that I am keeping on right thru to the end.

Two Updates in One Week???

Today I was dropping off the 4.5" skinnies for the front of the car. These tires are narrower and 1" taller than the ones I had before. These differences make a big difference in how the car sits as well as in how it will track on the drag strip.

While I was at the shop I saw a few more items that were done and some being worked on. The frame cross member is completely installed and all of the suspension parts are installed. The steering rack had to to be changed as the Mustang 2 didn't properly. Instead we are using the steering rack from the 79-93 Mustang. Everything looks clean and very strong. The workmanship is great and the complete setup looks as if it belongs there. The suspension geometry is dead on and the car is all squared up. The suspension's articulation is also spot on and this car truly will be able to be streeted. We have a minimum 5.5"s of clearance under the car so it will easily pass government inspection.

The stock dash has been fitted into the car and is almost complete. We do have the issue of the dash being moved further back into the passenger area but Resnick has a plan to deal with it. By the time we are done, I will have as stock of a look/feel as possible considering all of the modifications done to the interior.

Resnick is now working on getting the windsheild wipers and the emergency break mounted. It won't be too long before we are ready to start wiring and doing the body work.

Today was really positive as Resnick and Grant (the other mechanic) were both talking about having this on the track soon as race season is fast approaching. Finally I am becomeng more hopefull of driving this car soon.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM

Great to see the progress. Very exciting.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:11 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

THE CAR IS NOW HOME!!!

Finally I have the car sitting in my garage and I can finally start my part of the work. The engine will be ready to assemble in 10 days so the faster I accomplish my tasks, the faster I get to the track/street.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 PM

Great!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Awesome!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Great!
Originally Posted by YelloEye
Awesome!!!!
It is long over due and I look forward to missing some sleep.

Quick Reply: victory_red_SS goes RWD