2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

victory_red_SS goes RWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 12:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
that's a bad ass trans.
The following users liked this post:
victory_red_SS (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 10:52 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
that's a bad ass trans.
It sure is and I'm stoked that it will handle everything my LSX/Vortech engine is going to throw at it.

This one of the last few big purchases that I needed to make. I still have some other items to complete the build but big ticket purchases are almost complete.

I'm also thinking Paul that because I won't have the $$$ to do a tour with the car, maybe you and the others who helped me rescue the car might want to come north once again to see this make it's first runs once the tuning is complete. I know who I want to tune my car but I don't know if I can afford him.

Last edited by victory_red_SS; 10-05-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:07 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Powerglides are great transmissions but I've never been a huge fan of them. They work very well in a 1/8 mile car. Figuring out tire size, gearing and torque convertor slip can be tricky for a 1/4 mile car.
I know selling parts hurts a lot when it comes to what you have invested in them. Hope you don't take too big of a hit selling them.
You can see the finish line, keep it going!
Old 10-06-2019, 04:53 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
Powerglides are great transmissions but I've never been a huge fan of them. They work very well in a 1/8 mile car. Figuring out tire size, gearing and torque convertor slip can be tricky for a 1/4 mile car.
I know selling parts hurts a lot when it comes to what you have invested in them. Hope you don't take too big of a hit selling them.
You can see the finish line, keep it going!
When I did my NHRA training the Promod cars were running the Powerglide and I chose to go with the Powerglide because of it's simplicity. My Cobalt won't be as light as the Promod cars but I expect to be somewhere around 2300 - 2400 pounds with me in the car.

Because of how the firewall/floor/transmission mount was built around the Powerglide, going back now and changing it is too late. I also have the added ability to turn up the boost because everything was bought to be over built giving me lots of leeway with the required HP needs to get me to the 7:50 1/4 mile pass. The torque converter won't be built until we have all of the numbers of how much HP I can produce.

When it comes to gear ratio's in the Ford 9" I will need to make sure I have the right gear set.

I'm hoping as well that I don't take too much of a hit when I finally offer up all these parts that I no longer need. So far I have taken quite the hit so I'm dragging my heels to sell the rest as the buyers always want things for next to nothing. I'll see how it all works out.

As for the finish line, yes it is closer than ever before.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
When I did my NHRA training the Promod cars were running the Powerglide and I chose to go with the Powerglide because of it's simplicity. My Cobalt won't be as light as the Promod cars but I expect to be somewhere around 2300 - 2400 pounds with me in the car.

Because of how the firewall/floor/transmission mount was built around the Powerglide, going back now and changing it is too late. I also have the added ability to turn up the boost because everything was bought to be over built giving me lots of leeway with the required HP needs to get me to the 7:50 1/4 mile pass. The torque converter won't be built until we have all of the numbers of how much HP I can produce.

When it comes to gear ratio's in the Ford 9" I will need to make sure I have the right gear set.

I'm hoping as well that I don't take too much of a hit when I finally offer up all these parts that I no longer need. So far I have taken quite the hit so I'm dragging my heels to sell the rest as the buyers always want things for next to nothing. I'll see how it all works out.

As for the finish line, yes it is closer than ever before.
Just got your email Rod, had to come back on here to read the updates. Happy you still go this project going my friend and can’t wait to see it. You still living out in Ridge? Guess we will be waiting until next year for race season to see this beast in action!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:30 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by _UnLiMiTeD_
Just got your email Rod, had to come back on here to read the updates. Happy you still go this project going my friend and can’t wait to see it. You still living out in Ridge? Guess we will be waiting until next year for race season to see this beast in action!
Hi Darren.

Yes I am still in Ridge and still working on the project. Did the railway job workout and are you an engineer now? I am glad my email found you and I have never forgotten you donations, when the project fund raiser was going.

I got a call from Kreymr Racing today to go to the shop to look at what they have done and what they are working on next. Somewhere in that talk will likely be n invoice. I will post up pictures later Wednesday night.

Because of the shops changing schedules (projects some times take longer, go figure) this year didn't happen but I am on track for next season.

I'm also stopping in to Richmond Racing engines Wednesday to get an update. The first biggest step is getting the LSX block drilled and tapped for the 1/2" head studs. The shop hasn't done this on the high nickel cast iron LSX block before and Jim wants to use the right tools (drill bits/taps) because these blocks are hard and expensive.

I paid the balance owing on the Rossler transmission today so if all goes right I will have it in my hands the end of next week. If any of you knows someone who needs a Powerglide, race prepped and good for about 800 HP, I have one for sale.

I look forward to posting up pictures Wednesday night. Some of the things going forward with the project are getting me to smile again. Now I just hope I can earn money as fast as the car is eating it. I'm not looking forward to having to talk to the wife (again) about borrowing from savings. I firmly believe that a man is due his earned wages and that doesn't mean next month maybe.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Darren.

Yes I am still in Ridge and still working on the project. Did the railway job workout and are you an engineer now? I am glad my email found you and I have never forgotten you donations, when the project fund raiser was going.

I got a call from Kreymr Racing today to go to the shop to look at what they have done and what they are working on next. Somewhere in that talk will likely be n invoice. I will post up pictures later Wednesday night.

Because of the shops changing schedules (projects some times take longer, go figure) this year didn't happen but I am on track for next season.

I'm also stopping in to Richmond Racing engines Wednesday to get an update. The first biggest step is getting the LSX block drilled and tapped for the 1/2" head studs. The shop hasn't done this on the high nickel cast iron LSX block before and Jim wants to use the right tools (drill bits/taps) because these blocks are hard and expensive.

I paid the balance owing on the Rossler transmission today so if all goes right I will have it in my hands the end of next week. If any of you knows someone who needs a Powerglide, race prepped and good for about 800 HP, I have one for sale.

I look forward to posting up pictures Wednesday night. Some of the things going forward with the project are getting me to smile again. Now I just hope I can earn money as fast as the car is eating it. I'm not looking forward to having to talk to the wife (again) about borrowing from savings. I firmly believe that a man is due his earned wages and that doesn't mean next month maybe.
Very nice Rod, can’t wait to see some pictures, I’ll have to come see it when it’s finally
complete, and back at home. I’m still out in ridge as well.

this project definitely put you through some hell along the way, was a nice surprise to see your email come through and know it’s alive and giving you some good news finally!

Last edited by _UnLiMiTeD_; 10-08-2019 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Miss spelled word
Old 10-08-2019, 10:11 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by _UnLiMiTeD_
Very nice Rod, can’t wait to see some pictures, I’ll have to come see it when it’s finally
complete, and back at home. I’m still out in ridge as well.

this project definitely put you through some hell along the way, was a nice surprise to see your email come through and know it’s alive and giving you some good news finally!
As I mentioned in the email, when the car is home and ready for it's inaugural burnout I will make sure you are here for it. I have a set of street tires that are not tall enough and I plan on roasting them in front of my house. I may or may not inform the neighbors ahead of time.

The part where this put me through hell along the way is an understatement. As you likely recall, I was ready to crush this car at one point when everything was going wrong. At this point I am glad I didn't do that, I'm hoping that the smile keeps growing as we get closer to the finish line.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:15 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Update

I was at Kreymr Racing today and here is the update as promised.

I was expecting when I got to the shop that I was going to be asked for more money first thing. That didn't happen. In fact I was shown the work that did happen.

I have to say, Kreymr Racing does awesome work. For anyone local Dwain is the man to do your work.

Dwain has finished the roll cage inside the car which includes the funny car bars around my head. Dwain also did the modification to the cage bar under the hood to accommodate the S/C unit.

Dwain also mounted the radiator, air 2 air intercooler and re-clocked the S/C unit to a better position. This allows me to keep everything under the stock hood.

We also talked abut some venting to help the air 2 air dissipate heat. Pictures of that as we move forward.

This modification allows the rollcage bar to pass under the S/C

Can you say sexy? Looking at all of the work thats gone into this leaves me smiling

The rollcage is ready to race.

These bars protect my head.

Radiator and intercooler mounted.

Radiator and intercooler mounted at a different angle.

Re-clocked S/C to allow for the hood to remain stock.

The new postioning of the alternator to allow for the steering nuckle tomwork.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:10 AM

Looks really good! Surprised you aren't running a hood scoop.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:30 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Looks really good! Surprised you aren't running a hood scoop.
I thought about buying an aftermarket hood with functional venting to allow for more airflow and to allow for the S/C to fit underneath. With the way Kreymr has the S/C clocked everything fits and the hood closes so I'm going with that. The idea has always been to keep the body as stock looking as possible.

Having said that, we are still discussing ideas to allow more airflow through the intercooler.

Between Kremyr Racing and Richmond Engines it looks like the Powerglide I need to sell will soon find a home at the same price I paid for it which is a huge bonus.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Nice, selling that trans is a win for sure. Im happy to see youre updating this more and more so hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is near. Keep it up.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:44 AM

It sure is and I'm stoked that it will handle everything my LSX/Vortech engine is going to throw at it.

This one of the last few big purchases that I needed to make. I still have some other items to complete the build but big ticket purchases are almost complete.

I'm also thinking Paul that because I won't have the $$$ to do a tour with the car, maybe you and the others who helped me rescue the car might want to come north once again to see this make it's first runs once the tuning is complete. I know who I want to tune my car but I don't know if I can afford him.
hell yeah I'd take that trip... never been out that way before anyway... plus I actually have a passport now lol.... yeah 40yrs old.... just got that.....

I get plenty of paid time off here, so just let me know when (well of course I'll be following along in here too)

I was thinking of going to a PG in the trans am, but see how the th400 holds up whenever I get around to getting that thing done. finally got some much needed little parts that were holding me up just in time for winter lol..... but we shall see. I want it out under its own power next year..... 8 yr build on that thing, think 2 of us have the records for longest builds hahaha.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:47 AM

btw I'm liking the looks of the last update... .guy does good work I see.,
Old 10-11-2019, 07:22 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Nice, selling that trans is a win for sure. Im happy to see youre updating this more and more so hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is near. Keep it up.
Compared to companies in the past, these guys actually will get it done. I will keep posting updates as they come and , again compared to the past, things will be happening at a much faster rate. The engine guy says I will have it done for Christmas. It helps that he is good friends with the fabricator Dwain.

hell yeah I'd take that trip... never been out that way before anyway... plus I actually have a passport now lol.... yeah 40yrs old.... just got that.....

I get plenty of paid time off here, so just let me know when (well of course I'll be following along in here too)
I will give you plenty of advanced notice. We can put up a few people even if some are one those nice blow up beds. The first confirmed gets the guest room all to themselves.

I would really love to have Area47 tune the car but again I am not sure that I can afford him as I don't expect freebies. You guys already helped me out before.

I was thinking of going to a PG in the trans am, but see how the th400 holds up whenever I get around to getting that thing done. finally got some much needed little parts that were holding me up just in time for winter lol..... but we shall see. I want it out under its own power next year..... 8 yr build on that thing, think 2 of us have the records for longest builds hahaha.
I did think you would be me out of the gate with the Trans Am but damn, now it's a race to the start line and I don't think your season starts any sooner than mine.
The guy I bought the Rossler is going with a Th 400 and he said his was costing him $10K US

btw I'm liking the looks of the last update... .guy does good work I see.,
Kreymr Racing (Dwain) does awesome work. The cage bar that goes under the S/C looks like it was made by Vortech, it's perfect. Not only did he put in the funny cage bars, which I need for 7:50 cert, he added every bar required by the NHRA including the 4 gussets at the top of the cage. Dwain knows his stuff as well as the NHRA rulebook. Before he opened his own shop he was a top shelve airplane mechanic. He is also a crew member on a Top Alcohol Funny Car. I mean, could I have gotten a better person to finish the car??? I wish I had him from the start instead of … everyone knows I mean. Better late than never I guess.

One thing that I didn't take a picture of, and I will, is where Dwain steps out the cage to allow for my seat. It's awesome. Can everyone feel how happy I am to have this man finish the car? The end of the tunnel is closer than it has ever been before. It is also brighter than it has ever been before.
Don't give up on the project now as I sure won't. We are almost there.

Rod
Old 10-15-2019, 10:49 AM

Compared to companies in the past, these guys actually will get it done. I will keep posting updates as they come and , again compared to the past, things will be happening at a much faster rate. The engine guy says I will have it done for Christmas. It helps that he is good friends with the fabricator Dwain.

I will give you plenty of advanced notice. We can put up a few people even if some are one those nice blow up beds. The first confirmed gets the guest room all to themselves.

I would really love to have Area47 tune the car but again I am not sure that I can afford him as I don't expect freebies. You guys already helped me out before.

I did think you would be me out of the gate with the Trans Am but damn, now it's a race to the start line and I don't think your season starts any sooner than mine.
The guy I bought the Rossler is going with a Th 400 and he said his was costing him $10K US

Kreymr Racing (Dwain) does awesome work. The cage bar that goes under the S/C looks like it was made by Vortech, it's perfect. Not only did he put in the funny cage bars, which I need for 7:50 cert, he added every bar required by the NHRA including the 4 gussets at the top of the cage. Dwain knows his stuff as well as the NHRA rulebook. Before he opened his own shop he was a top shelve airplane mechanic. He is also a crew member on a Top Alcohol Funny Car. I mean, could I have gotten a better person to finish the car??? I wish I had him from the start instead of … everyone knows I mean. Better late than never I guess.

One thing that I didn't take a picture of, and I will, is where Dwain steps out the cage to allow for my seat. It's awesome. Can everyone feel how happy I am to have this man finish the car? The end of the tunnel is closer than it has ever been before. It is also brighter than it has ever been before.
Don't give up on the project now as I sure won't. We are almost there.

Rod
Sounds good to me, hell anything besides the floor again I'm good. well the whole 15 min I got to sleep last time up there hahaha.,

I"ve been draggin ass on the t/a lately, bit of lost motivation, and started riding atv's again, so that's been taking up some time. I"ll be back in full swing in the spring so no racing til then anyway.

I can feel the excitement through the screen lol.
been a long struggle for sure, but defintiely seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

car is coming along really nicely defintiely can't ask for better craftsmanship then what you're getting.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:33 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Sounds good to me, hell anything besides the floor again I'm good. well the whole 15 min I got to sleep last time up there hahaha.,

I"ve been draggin ass on the t/a lately, bit of lost motivation, and started riding atv's again, so that's been taking up some time. I"ll be back in full swing in the spring so no racing til then anyway.

I can feel the excitement through the screen lol.
been a long struggle for sure, but defintiely seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

car is coming along really nicely defintiely can't ask for better craftsmanship then what you're getting.
Spending time on your atv's is a great way to destress which is always a good thing to do. In the end that helps re-motivate you. You have the whole winter to work on the Trans Am.

I am getting excited the more things keep rolling along. As long as that light keeps shining I'll look forward to the end of this tunnel.

The Rossler is packaged and supposed to shipped today. I hope to have it in my hands late next week.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:02 PM

You guys might actually give me inspiration on my 25 yr Nova build...

Glad you found a home for the trans that's weight off your shoulders.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:34 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

You guys might actually give me inspiration on my 25 yr Nova build...

Glad you found a home for the trans that's weight off your shoulders.
As long as you still have the Nova, there is still time to finish off the long smouldering project.

And it is a cool project car to have at that.

Yes, selling the transmission for what I paid for it is really a huge bonus.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:18 AM

Spending time on your atv's is a great way to destress which is always a good thing to do. In the end that helps re-motivate you. You have the whole winter to work on the Trans Am.

I am getting excited the more things keep rolling along. As long as that light keeps shining I'll look forward to the end of this tunnel.

The Rossler is packaged and supposed to shipped today. I hope to have it in my hands late next week.

riding definitely is my favorite way to unwind after a long crappy week at work. just picked up another bike lol. so going saturday morning trying to get as many rides in as I can.
good stuff man, awesome you didn't have to sell at a loss...

I finally got the last of my missing little odds and ends for the trans am, cleaning up the garage this weekend to make some room (got a big heater for the garage too) so hopefully knock out the rest this winter. car is so close too, just some brake lines to run, new fuel feed to run, and some wiring to tie up and she's a runner.
cage is done, turbo kit is done, suspension is done.... really need to finish it up this year
Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

riding definitely is my favorite way to unwind after a long crappy week at work. just picked up another bike lol. so going saturday morning trying to get as many rides in as I can.
good stuff man, awesome you didn't have to sell at a loss...

I finally got the last of my missing little odds and ends for the trans am, cleaning up the garage this weekend to make some room (got a big heater for the garage too) so hopefully knock out the rest this winter. car is so close too, just some brake lines to run, new fuel feed to run, and some wiring to tie up and she's a runner.
cage is done, turbo kit is done, suspension is done.... really need to finish it up this year
you have the parts and you have the tools and you have the skills and you also have the big heater for the garage. Sounds like you are set to go once your riding season ends. Keep us posted.

I got another call from Kreymr Racing today and I immediately think how much today? But, no money requested today, they just wanted some parts needed to keep working on the car. I mean really, parts to keep moving forward on the project? What is that about anyways???

Tomorrow I will drop off the rear bumper impact Styrofoam, the wheelie bars and the parachute.

The wheelie bars are so the custom fuel cell can be built as well as the length of the bars are to be adjusted as Dwain believes they are too long.

They are also starting to make/mount the pro-stock wing for the rear trunk lid specific for drag racing. I still have the original trunk lid with the original big ass wing.

The parachute mount is also going to be re-done as Dwain believes the mounting point won't handle the 180 mph+ speed when the chute is deployed.

The Rossler transmission was shipped yesterday and it is supposed to arrive at the shipping company tomorrow. I have a few other parts arriving at different times so next Tuesday is when I expect to pick everything up all at once.

I am getting really stoked.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:09 PM

I had a 76 firebird formula with a 70 Lt1 in it. I also had a 94 Z28 and I miss the firebird a lot more than the Z.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:32 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

I had a 76 firebird formula with a 70 Lt1 in it. I also had a 94 Z28 and I miss the firebird a lot more than the Z.
Between those two it is the '76 Firebird hands down my favorite as well.

I also have a huge liking for the '67 Firebird as a good friend had one of those decades ago and it was very nice too.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Update

Who would have believed that I would post two updates so close together.

I was at Kremyr Racing today as Dwain asked me to drop off some parts. While I was there I took some pictures of what he has done in the past week.

They have been working on the steering rack.
They had to change the geometry/alignment to make way for the alternator which I need as a bolting spot for the Vortech S/C.

Looking down you can see where the steering rack was modified to allow for an angled position and a gusset was added as well.

They have been working on the motor mount.
The mount needed to be modified to accommodate the 4 stage drysump pump.
You can see what was removed and made to look as if this motor mount always looked like this.

They have been working on the charge piping for the S/C'er
The Vortech kit doesn't fit under my hood the same as it does under a stock '13 Camaro SS hood. However, Kremyr made easy work of making the needed piping that the kit didn't provide.Once I have powder coated the new pipe it will look like this kit was designed for a Cobalt SS.

Charge piping courtesy of Kremyr Racing

More sexy charge piping.

I know but I couldn't help myself.

I also include the gussets added to the upper part of the cage.

The upper gussets welded into place...

..as per NHRA rules.

If that isn't enough of an update, Kremyr Racing also made this modification to help the air to air intercooler breathe better.

Well??? What do you think of this modification???

And if that isn't enough, Dwain is 90% sure that he can fit the 2 gallon US drysump oil reservoir underneath the hood, attached to the frame rail.

Bottom line is, they have been working on the project and Kremyr Racing does awesome work.

Until there is more,
Old 10-19-2019, 07:23 AM

Received 840 Likes on 737 Posts
Awesome update. Sounds like the shop you found is finally one keeping their word.

The modification to the bumper for flow should definitely help and it looks well done and nicely balanced.

Quick Reply: victory_red_SS goes RWD