2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

victory_red_SS goes RWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 03:51 AM

Received 264 Likes on 223 Posts
if the chassis has already passed a 7.50 cert and has the sticker, it doesnt need more bars. there are a bunch of ways to build a chassis, and interpret the rule book. once an nhra chassis inspector has put the sticker on the car its good.

i kinda get the 3.5" exhaust thing. a lot of people prefer to work with "sanitary stainless" tubing (stuff used in food/beverage). the elbows are always 100% perfect and the tubing is waay nicer to work with than anything else, the problem is it doesnt come in 3.5", its 3" or 4". if someone wont build a custom exhaust because they cant use sanitary stainless, you dont want them doing it anyway. good quality stainless tubing, such as from vibrant, work just as well, it just doesnt look quite as cool.

sucks that the car came loose. im always so paranoid about that happening.
The following users liked this post:
victory_red_SS (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 06:28 AM

Received 840 Likes on 737 Posts
Damn man, that is a shitty day.

As Skarkey said, if you have the sticker you're good to go. I wouldn't start adding additional bars until a NHRA inspector says it needs them and rejects you from being able to race.

If you have bad luck with this shop, try to find a fabricator not an exhaust shop. Granted a fabricator might be a bit more expensive, but their welds will be 100% correct. I'm going to assume there are plenty of fabricators in Canada from all the oil field and mining work that will be able to make your exhaust no problem.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:36 PM

Received 291 Likes on 268 Posts
That sucks man. I am so sorry that happened...
Old 11-30-2020, 06:32 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkey
if the chassis has already passed a 7.50 cert and has the sticker, it doesnt need more bars. there are a bunch of ways to build a chassis, and interpret the rule book. once an nhra chassis inspector has put the sticker on the car its good.

i kinda get the 3.5" exhaust thing. a lot of people prefer to work with "sanitary stainless" tubing (stuff used in food/beverage). the elbows are always 100% perfect and the tubing is waay nicer to work with than anything else, the problem is it doesnt come in 3.5", its 3" or 4". if someone wont build a custom exhaust because they cant use sanitary stainless, you dont want them doing it anyway. good quality stainless tubing, such as from vibrant, work just as well, it just doesnt look quite as cool.

sucks that the car came loose. im always so paranoid about that happening.
That is encouraging to know because I do have the certification tag. I have been in contact with the NHRA Division 6 office and they gave me some numbers to call. It seems like the division 6 technical expert chose to retire 3 days ago. I mean seriously, 3 days ago. Who else has my type of bad luck??? As for the car getting loose in the trailer, It took a couple of hits before I realized what was going on because at first I was thinking potholes. I'm very happy that it didn't end up on the street. A couple more hits and it would have been a huge nightmare. Thankfully, it didn't have all of the front body parts to destroy. The front bumper is really strong and it did some damage.

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Damn man, that is a shitty day.

As Sharkey said, if you have the sticker you're good to go. I wouldn't start adding additional bars until a NHRA inspector says it needs them and rejects you from being able to race.

If you have bad luck with this shop, try to find a fabricator not an exhaust shop. Granted a fabricator might be a bit more expensive, but their welds will be 100% correct. I'm going to assume there are plenty of fabricators in Canada from all the oil field and mining work that will be able to make your exhaust no problem.
The fellow who is working on the exhaust is a fabricator and he showed me a GTR that he has built the chassis/cage for which is how he I identified the issue with my cage. The sad truth is that I am finding the 'real' experts to late in this project.

Originally Posted by BlackielawlessSS
That sucks man. I am so sorry that happened...
Thanks, it has been a distressing couple of days. I have been in touch with the NHRA and my insurance company. Hopefully I can have this all addressed in the next couple of days.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:18 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
That sucks, but as others have said, don't get worked up until you find out for sure what's required. I'm glad it didn't end up in the road.
victory_red_SS (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:44 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

I have some news, good and bad, what's new?

The exhaust pipes are done and most of the suspension is tune. The exhaust pipes dump in front of the back tires and the pipes will be angled after I put on the rocker sills. I paid more than quoted which is typical bad news for this project.

I talked to the NHRA inspector that certified my cage/chassis. He came right out and admitted that he screwed up. The best that I am going to get is for him to re-inspect the cage/chassis when it is done.

The fabricator that did the funny bar cage played dumb as if he didn't know better. I am not buying that because of all the detail he put into the rest of my cage that he did.

The inspector said that having the tag didn't trump the actual need for the rest of the other bars. Simply put, for a 7.50 certification I need to add those bars. The first estimate that I got is 5K. That is the biggest bad news of today.

I'm being advised to just settle for 8.50. The reason that I have a hard time with that is because of all the pain that has come with building this project. There has been too much money wasted, too many lies told, too many deadlines missed and too many promises broken.

Years ago I was told that it would take me years to run under 10 seconds. Then I went to Frank Hawley's NHRA drag racing school. I went from no experience to 9.11 seconds in 12 hours of schooling. I have since been told that it is a world of difference from 9's to 7's. I accept those opinions but I'm don't agree with them in my case. I have never been described normal, ever, and I refuse to believe that I'm not destined to run mid 7's.

The reasons that I stick to running 7.50 is the same reason why you all follow this thread. There was a dream once that came close. That dream that I can not give up on. That dream means running the car, ***** to the wall, giving everything that it has to give. 8.50 means using a throttle stop.

This car was built to go full out, no holding back. That has been the plan/dream for way too long. Giving up on anything isn't in my bones. I don't understand quit. As long as I breathe I will fight to move forward and meet my goal/dream.

I know work will pick up again and then I can set more $$$ aside for the car.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
So many damn speed bumps along the way, but you keep fighting through them. I still remember the "JBP" fiasco like it was last week.

Stick to it. You're almost there.
victory_red_SS (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 10:51 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
So many damn speed bumps along the way, but you keep fighting through them. I still remember the "JBP" fiasco like it was last week.

Stick to it. You're almost there.
Calling them speed bumps is putting it mildly at times, while JBP was more of a giant sink hole and Mev was an outright thief. I still wonder when he's going to get his due. At least he was drummed out of the automotive business.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:54 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Haha, yeah. I was going to call them road blocks, which I guess they kind of were. You essentially had to back up and find a new route after JBP, etc.
victory_red_SS (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
Calling them speed bumps is putting it mildly at times, while JBP was more of a giant sink hole and Mev was an outright thief. I still wonder when he's going to get his due. At least he was drummed out of the automotive business.
Karma always wins, might take a bit but it will win
Old 12-03-2020, 03:18 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Karma always wins, might take a bit but it will win
I have had to learn how to be patient throughout this project so I'll wait until Karma catches up with her work load.
I once wanted to deal with it but my wife said that she wasn't waiting if I'm in prison.
Old 01-29-2021, 08:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
jesus man the hits just keep on coming. but at least the exhaust looks good.

but yeah man, I paid everything off but the house this last year, so new toy was needed.
and to add to another shocker, due to an offer I couldn't refuse....... the imfamous BCP cobalt will be back in my hands next week. apparently it's been sitting for 2 years and hasn't been touched since I sold it, so still the 700+whp setup I had in it.
so stay tuned for that pos coming back out to the track too this year.
hopefully once both yours and mine are running the world is getting back to normal and maybe I"ll trailer that thing up to you on a road trip vacation for some track time.
BlackielawlessSS (01-29-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 07:54 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
jesus man the hits just keep on coming. but at least the exhaust looks good.

but yeah man, I paid everything off but the house this last year, so new toy was needed.
and to add to another shocker, due to an offer I couldn't refuse....... the imfamous BCP cobalt will be back in my hands next week. apparently it's been sitting for 2 years and hasn't been touched since I sold it, so still the 700+whp setup I had in it.
so stay tuned for that pos coming back out to the track too this year.
hopefully once both yours and mine are running the world is getting back to normal and maybe I"ll trailer that thing up to you on a road trip vacation for some track time.
You just can't stay away from that black Cobalt can you. I hope it goes well for you.

I have been at a bit of a stand still these past few months. The NHRA inspector who has to re-evaluate my roll cage had an eye surgery go bad and he is unable to do his work. I want to get the car back to the fabricators so he can do the stuff I already paid for.

As my luck would have it, the shop fixing the trailer had someone drive into it the day before I was going to get it. That meant another delay as they waited for a new panel to show up so they could fix it. I know I could tow the car to the fabricators but that costs about 2 payments for the trailer. Yes I am cheap but I have also been out of action for a bit. For some unknown reason I got up two different nights, in the middle of the night and I just hit the floor. The first one hurt my knee and the second time I gashed my eyebrow, really hurt my nose and took out my left shoulder/chest. The pain the next day was intense and there was no way I was going to be able to do my job. Instead it was off to the hospital to get checked out. The funny part that the nurses, the doctors and all off the technicians that I saw weren't even thinking about my physical injuries. In fact I had to ask for x-rays. They were more concerned with the reason why I fell.

I was at the hospital for 5 hours with my loving wife sitting in the waiting room. Good thing we could message so I could keep her updated on all of the tests that they were doing. I'm feeling better finally and today is hopefully one of the last tests, a heart monitor that I need to wear for 24 hours.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:41 AM

Trust me I wanted to, but for the price, why not, cars in bad shape though, going to take a lot of work, but not like I don't know the things inside and out.

dude I see an update hoping for some good news, man you just can't win this year. hope you are all better soon and it was nothing too serious. personal health first then worry about the car
Old 03-17-2021, 05:25 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
Trust me I wanted to, but for the price, why not, cars in bad shape though, going to take a lot of work, but not like I don't know the things inside and out.

dude I see an update hoping for some good news, man you just can't win this year. hope you are all better soon and it was nothing too serious. personal health first then worry about the car
I did see your post on what was wrong with the Cobalt but like you said, who better to fix it than you. You know it inside and out.

I feel much better now that my shoulder is mostly better and I'm back to work. The heart rate monitor test was more for my wife's piece of mind so she doesn't worry about me as I am starting training for some 'virtual' half marathon races.
The company that I am now working with says there's going to be plenty of OT before too long and all of that extra $$ goes to the extra bars for the roll cage.

Like you, I'm hoping we both get our Cobalts to the track this year once the vaccines are rolled out and things open up especially our borders.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:05 AM

glad to hear you're on the mend at least.
I just tore up my shoulder this past summer and putting off the surgery as long as I can lol.

I need to get something out to the track this year, haven't raced in almost 3 years now. if anything I"ll take the damn gtp out there and see if I can crack in the the mid 12's just to do something haha,

good to hear you're back to work too
Old 03-17-2021, 10:55 AM

Received 544 Likes on 467 Posts
Yikes, Rod. Really glad to see you on the upswing of things finally! I think you have my luck though, and I have to keep reminding myself, "If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all".
Old 03-18-2021, 09:26 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
Yikes, Rod. Really glad to see you on the upswing of things finally! I think you have my luck though, and I have to keep reminding myself, "If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all".
I'm in that same boat as you as far as luck goes.

I guess as long as we wake up on this side of dirt we always have the chance that our luck will improve. On a good note I did get a weekend side job this weekend which adds some cash to the project fund.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:19 AM

Damn, glad to hear you're doing better and your work situation is improving.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:20 AM

I am sorry to hear that Rod. I am glad things are getting back to normal for you.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:56 AM

Received 544 Likes on 467 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
I'm in that same boat as you as far as luck goes.

I guess as long as we wake up on this side of dirt we always have the chance that our luck will improve. On a good note I did get a weekend side job this weekend which adds some cash to the project fund.
Sweet deal! I have logged into your site a couple times to make sure it was relatively up to date (from vulnerabilities).
Old 03-18-2021, 07:13 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
You have come this far, you will see it through.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:17 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
Sweet deal! I have logged into your site a couple times to make sure it was relatively up to date (from vulnerabilities).
Thanks for checking in on the site. You did a great job getting it up.

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
You have come this far, you will see it through.
Thanks, and yes I will see it through. It is much closer than ever.

I found a company in Canada that can re-certify my Reid transmission case and while it's never been ran the SFI cert runs out in September (I bought it used) so I may as well do it while it's out for the final bars to be welded in for the cage.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:26 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

I dropped in to the fabricator's shop yesterday and I am scheduled to take the car back there middle of next week. The rest of the roll cage bars are going to be added as well several other items are going to be finished up.
I will spend some time this weekend in the garage doing some work on the car because when it comes back it will be time to paint the car and get the glass re-installed.
I will stop in at the engine builder's shop tomorrow and arrange to finish dressing the engine so we can get the oil lines made up for the drysump pump/pan. While there I'm going to get Jim's opinion on whether or not I should invest in EGT sensors and controller.
I picked up a second set of rocker moldings yesterday so I can get my set extended by 1.5'. I will have to find a shop who can/will do this for me because I'm not going back to the shop that modified the fenders.
Work right now has been nice and busy with plenty of extra hours to be had. Those extra hours will go towards the project fund.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:58 PM

So awesome man seeing it back going! Looking forward to new updates!

Quick Reply: victory_red_SS goes RWD