2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Want to go Turbo question about pistons

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
I'm just sticking with stock compression pistons. With the stock eaton and 2.5-2.6 I should only be making 15-16 psi boost, so that with 9.5:1 is no problem. Couple that with the fact that I'm severly upgrading my intercooler system, during winter, IAT2 could be as cool as ambient air
min on average is 10 degrees above ambient
Old 07-03-2007, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Area47
the way i have set up my turbo cars in the past is, little to no timing, dump fuel = fast spool time.

this is what the big name turbo car racers do.

anti lag is just that, dumps timing. yes egt's skyrocket, but it is managable, if you control the fuel side of it.
lol i dont want an anti-lag set up(cool idea) but the EGT's get crazy....thanks for the heads up on the info( i do see were your coming from in the analogy)

....its been over a year since i've learned anything in this horrid place.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by 06black
lol i dont want an anti-lag set up(cool idea) but the EGT's get crazy....thanks for the heads up on the info( i do see were your coming from in the analogy)

....its been over a year since i've learned anything in this horrid place.
some of us have the "been there done that blew that damn thing to bits" kind of experience.

if you have control over the fuel and timing ont he anti lag, which most new style ems systems do, you can get away with the antilag without destroying the exhaust valves.

i had that feature on the autronic deal on my gsx, well. the egt's spiked to 1600 quick. so i never used it, i just dropped the timing on my drag maps and kept it at 1400, then brought the timing up to where it normally would be, egt's dropped till i hit 1500 at the traps
Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJHK
I am so glad that someone really does read the write ups that I took time to write...ESPECIALLY the FAQ cause it took me and halfcent about 3 days of me writing it and Halfcent revising it and adding to it.

But yes, please read the FAQ. When I get ultra bored, I'm seriously thinking about adding to it and even adding to existing questions to be more detailed.
I ended up saving I think 4 of your right ups to a flash drive that I keep on my keyring. I don't know how many times I've read it, and also referred others to them. Whenever I have people asking me how they can go turbo, it's the first thing I give them. Thanks for all your hard work in getting that together!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some of us have the "been there done that blew that damn thing to bits" kind of experience.

if you have control over the fuel and timing ont he anti lag, which most new style ems systems do, you can get away with the antilag without destroying the exhaust valves.

i had that feature on the autronic deal on my gsx, well. the egt's spiked to 1600 quick. so i never used it, i just dropped the timing on my drag maps and kept it at 1400, then brought the timing up to where it normally would be, egt's dropped till i hit 1500 at the traps
We have sodium filled exhaust valves, so the anti lag you are talking about would be okay; of course there are valves you could buy that have even more heat resistance, but it's better than nothing. It can be as subtle or extreme as you want, so if you just want to help spool time a little bit, you could just slightly retard the timing and dump a little more fuel.

Also, this only happens for a short period of time and only when you go WOT (If you set it up for that) so during normal driving it wouldn't affect anything. Antilag is a completely seperate map from the fuel map and ignition map.

Originally Posted by 06black
i'm hoping to get clarification on that...i've heard both, and i can see how it would work in either case....

with the lower timeing numbers the spark falls closer and closer to an open exhaust valve, on that note it also will increase EGT's....i've done some work on dans spark maps and i can predict what mine will look like over the next week with the start of tuning on my set up..lots of timeing out of boost(in comparison to the on boost areas) and less in the cells under boost....it'll be crazy different from my SC maps.

i cant see our motor on pump or even 110 hitting the critical timeing area where a rod barrings might go, its just efficient enough(in a thermal since) and the heads don't flow enough to keep the head temp's down to help prevent pre-det from high IAT's

not saying its impossible, just unlikely.
You are right about the increased EGT's. It takes precise tuning to incorporate anti lag into your tune without affecting daily driving, but it can be done by only using it under high load. Plus, the other thing you have to watch a little more is your turbo because the turbine will endure slightly higher temps if you run your car hard on a regular basis, so maintenance is important there.

Last edited by Mikey851; 07-03-2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Rent me! per hour

the only way for us, cobalt owners. to get antilag is from a full ems system. or if gm was cool and gave us full reign of the ecm that would rock ass!

but alas, we are stuck with hp tuners.

dsm's don't have sodium filled valves stock, hence eating them.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:36 PM

the only way for us, cobalt owners. to get antilag is from a full ems system. or if gm was cool and gave us full reign of the ecm that would rock ass!

but alas, we are stuck with hp tuners.

dsm's don't have sodium filled valves stock, hence eating them.
True, we would have to use a standalone like AEM EMS or something. Oh well, proper turbo sizing minimizes the problem anyways.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Rent me! per hour

Originally Posted by Mikey851
True, we would have to use a standalone like AEM EMS or something. Oh well, proper turbo sizing minimizes the problem anyways.
true.
aem sucks

i won't go into detail as to why i think this, but that is my opinion.

every motor likes a 35r!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:55 PM

true.
aem sucks

i won't go into detail as to why i think this, but that is my opinion.

every motor likes a 35r!
You don't have to say it, I know what you're talking about. It doesn't happen to everyone who owns an AEM, but I've seen the complaints. As far as the tuning interface goes however, I like the feel of it.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NGalaxyTimmyo
I ended up saving I think 4 of your right ups to a flash drive that I keep on my keyring. I don't know how many times I've read it, and also referred others to them. Whenever I have people asking me how they can go turbo, it's the first thing I give them. Thanks for all your hard work in getting that together!

You know how to make a black guy blush

Thanks again man