2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

water/alcohol injection

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water/alcohol injection

Im new here and have done a search and have not found too much information about water/alcohol injection. I wanted to know if it would make any difference for the SS/SC?
and if so how much of a gain? Thanks for the help
Old 05-22-2006, 01:10 PM

u mean methanol water injection into your intercooler
Old 05-22-2006, 01:12 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/water-methanol-injection-20663/

thas my ld thread with no replys its like a 25 to 50 shot of nos in gains and yes we blew a civic motor using this and a 50 shot nos but its nice setup just make sure you dont blow it
Old 05-22-2006, 01:14 PM

The GTP guys were using water/alky/methanol in conjunction with the Eatons pretty hugely for a short time - from my understanding, they could drop their lowest pulley size by .8 or so (almost another full inch) with the injection for higher boost. Of course this means you're running much more heat - and increase of KR... But this will help it all out by cooling it down. And I suppose it would work even better for cold days as well...

EDIT: You can try this thread.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...light=methanol

~Saki
Old 05-22-2006, 01:16 PM

is there a diffrence between water/alcohol injection and methanol/water injection. but witch ever would work the best.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:23 PM

Ok, so what you are saying is that the only thing adding methanol/water injection will do is lower the supercharger temp so u can run more boost, but since the 2.5 is the smallest available for the car and has been shown to run great without the methanol/water injection it is basically pointless to have.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:00 PM

The way that water/meth works is lowering you intake temps (allowing more dense air), increasing your octane (methanol is very flammable), and cleaning your internals (via fine mist of water). Water/meth will help on any kind of forced induction vehicle. There have been gains of 60hp and 60tq on Evo's and STI's. Look into it some more before writing it off as useless.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:04 PM

bascially it will rais your octane rating to 100
Old 05-22-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Saki XL
The GTP guys were using water/alky/methanol in conjunction with the Eatons pretty hugely for a short time - from my understanding, they could drop their lowest pulley size by .8 or so (almost another full inch) with the injection for higher boost. Of course this means you're running much more heat - and increase of KR... But this will help it all out by cooling it down. And I suppose it would work even better for cold days as well...

EDIT: You can try this thread.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...light=methanol

~Saki
Even with the more boost, the water/meth decreases the heat and reduced the KR due to the higher octane. I was retarding 5 degrees of timing on 18psi before my install and now I am not pulling any timing while boosting up to 21 psi on base gas!!!!! It will also richen your a/f ratio about half a point.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by snobird
bascially it will rais your octane rating to 100
That depends on what octane you started at and what mixture of water/meth you run.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well SRT-4_UK......did you ever find out the price of that meth. injection for me? Damnit!!!! I know where you live
Old 05-22-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by TxLonghorn#1
Well SRT-4_UK......did you ever find out the price of that meth. injection for me? Damnit!!!! I know where you live
Sorry, bout that. It depends on what you want. Do you want a controller like I have with the 4 nozzels for the intake runners or 1 nozzle in the intake. Or do you want a cheaper kit that does not have a controller? Pm me with what you want, or dont want, and Ill let you know what price I can get you.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:07 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the GTP guys were doing this because their cars aren't intercooled like ours are.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:26 PM

Even if you do have an intercooler, water meth will help out alot. I have an aftermarket intercooler and the water meth dropped my intake temps quite a bit. The intercooler can only cool so much before heat soak comes into play and raises the temp back up as you run more. The water meth can cool the temps below ambient temps and will make the intercooler more efficent. I know I don't have the same car as everyone else here but the concept is the same.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Banned

i installed water injection last year on the cobalt, it didn't really do anything, don't spray alky/meth into your intake cause you'll f'up your blower blades
Old 05-22-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by SRT-4_UK
Even with the more boost, the water/meth decreases the heat and reduced the KR due to the higher octane....

That's what I was saying. The heat increase that I mentioned in my earlier post was talking about the smaller pulley the GTP guys were using.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
i installed water injection last year on the cobalt, it didn't really do anything, don't spray alky/meth into your intake cause you'll f'up your blower blades
I wouldnt say that it does nothing. It will keep the pistons and head looking better and reduce carbon buildup as well as lower intake temps. What kind of mix were you running to where it would mess up the blower blades? There is always the option of spraying after the supercharger if messing up the blades it a concern.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:58 AM

I just use n2o to cool my intake temps...
Old 05-23-2006, 09:26 AM

hmmm just because somethin is very flamable doesn't mean it'll raise your octane...remember, octane rating is the resistance to pre-egnition a given fuel has...not it's flamability. And, it takes about twice as much meth to provide the same heat exchange than gasoline (hence to produce the same power as gas you need roughly twice as much meth --compare a gasoline carb main jets to a alky/meth main jets and you'll see...it is twice the size --)
Old 05-23-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by NightmareRacing
hmmm just because somethin is very flamable doesn't mean it'll raise your octane...remember, octane rating is the resistance to pre-egnition a given fuel has...not it's flamability. And, it takes about twice as much meth to provide the same heat exchange than gasoline (hence to produce the same power as gas you need roughly twice as much meth --compare a gasoline carb main jets to a alky/meth main jets and you'll see...it is twice the size --)
Sorry, I was wrong in my explination but the end result is the same. That is how the turbo charged guys can advance their timing and run higher boost without any or very little knock.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
System used??? How do you assume it will fuc# up the blower??

Very vague statement with NO backing evidence
Old 07-06-2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by NightmareRacing
Absolutely correct. Water won't pre-ignite, so it has an effective octane that is extremely high as well as slowing the combustion process slightly (which is what higher octane fuels essentially do), and depending on what you are reading, Methanol is rated at anywhere from 105-130 octane.

Right on with the BTUs in methanol vs. gasoline as well. Luckily, we are not converting the fuel system over to an alcohol based fuel, just injecting on top of the factoryu system - an auxiliary injection, if you will. So, any fuel it adds is richening the mixture. Also, because the water-methanol is suppressing detonation so much, you can run with a much leaner mixture (12-12.5:1) and make MORE power than a 10:1 mixture, etc. The extra fuel that was there just to suppress detonation is now just in the way of the flamefront.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:05 PM

Sorry for the ignorence "dakedo", I'm a tank mechanic so all this gasoline, high performance engine stuff sometimes throws me off. I've read almost all the threads about Meth/H2O mixture.....and still really don't understand the concept.

Is it like running N2O with the same set-up and everything?

Is it like exchanging coolant for Methenol/water? (doesn't sound right, but had to ask)

Is it adding alcohol to your fuel?

Is it a mist to your intercooler to drop temps?

Or is it someother method that I'm not seeing?

I'm really lost and all these threads would make sense if I understood what the method is. PLEASE don't kill me with your smart-@$$ comments . I'm just trying to understand everything ya'll do.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by M88ArRamadi
Is it like running N2O with the same set-up and everything?

Is it like exchanging coolant for Methenol/water? (doesn't sound right, but had to ask)

Is it adding alcohol to your fuel?

Is it a mist to your intercooler to drop temps?

Or is it someother method that I'm not seeing?
It isn't like running nitrous, though you can think of it similarly in that it injects into the airstream, but the physics are totally different.

Not exchanging the coolant or anything like that.

Not adding anything into the fuel system - it is an auxiliary injection.

It isn't misting the intercooler at all. It is inside your air intake system.

It injects right before the throttle body, usually. The cooling is basically the process of evaporation. Even on a hot day, you can get out of a swimming pool and stand up, and in a light breeze, it feels cool. That is evaporation. The octane increase is more involved, but suffice it to say, with water-methanol in the combustion chamber with the gasoline, it is much less likely to detonate.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:24 PM

Well that makes perfect sense!! Thanks. So what is everyone stressing about? Is it because if you spray too much it'll ignite inside your sc or intercooler? I know my sc gets really-really hot (intense Stage 4 w/2.5).

ps I just left CS Ft.carson you military?

Quick Reply: water/alcohol injection