2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

water/alcohol injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope - it won't ignite anywhere by itself. Very safe fluid (100% methanol is NOT, but 50/50 with water is).

Nope, not military, but most of my friends are current or ex-military.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FAST06SS
System used??? How do you assume it will fuc# up the blower??

Very vague statement with NO backing evidence

the blower blades have a special coating on them, spraying water, and ESPECIALLY alky/meth will eat at them. there's no room for tolerances on those blowers, after a while it will f'up something. that's why i looked into getting a spacer plate between the blower and intake, put a smaller pulley on so the belt will fit, tap hole into the spacer and spray right on the output side of the blower, and viola issue fixed.

here's a document you can check out that shows that jackson racing will void the spercharger warranty on their kit if you spray water through the blower. (there are documents like this all over th einternet but i'm too lazy to search right now)

http://www.jacksonracing.com/graphic...ns/989-950.pdf

search for "supercharger" on that document and it will take you to the part.

<edit> oh the system i used was a coolingmist.com kit. i still have the majority of the parts if you want it for $50. you will need to get a new injector and i still have the windshield washer fluid tank tapped for my resivor, so if you wanted to trade me out for a stock one, i could save you the trouble of making your own. there was a how to around here somewhere i did, but i deleted the pictures off my website cause no one ever looked into it. now that we're actually pushing 18+ psi, there might be some benefit to it, but mine was installed on a totally stock car.

and i have a mounting plate made of stainless (still rough cut though) that has the pump mounted on it, and it has holes in it, so you can bolt it right up to the passenger side under the hood where those two studs come up on the shock tower. it fits in pretty nicely.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:44 AM

Spraying water, or water/methanol will not "eat" at Eatons factory coatings. There was one year of Ford Lightnings that had coating issues (1999 I believe) but it was changed after that, and it had nothing to do with injecting anything through the blower - the coating failed with or without water injection.

Our kits inject through Eatons every day on thousands of Mustang Cobras, Ford Lightnings, GM 3.8 V6s, Ford SuperCoupes, and also B&Ms (some with teflon seals), Weiands, Lysholms, etc etc. Once in a great while, a coating will start to fail on someones blower (with or without injecting a fluid through it), but it has never been proven that the water or water-methanol was the cause. More likely is the fact that it was rebuilt and coated with something other than what Eaton specifies, or that it was overspun for a very long time and the additional heat and rpms caused the clearances of the coatings to be reduced and started chipping away at itself. Injecting fluid to keep the temperatures significantly reduced would help this dramatically, if this was the case. If there was an actual issue, I would think that thousands of customers would have been calling us for several years with identical issues.

Now, even if the coating was at risk, it is a non-issue because anyone worried can inject after the supercharger and bypass the entire situation. Entirely up to you as the consumer.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:52 AM

do this.... Slap a big ass bag of ice on top of your sc after a couple runs down the track... then wait 5 mins let the bag rest.... then take off down the track... you will see the difference that cooler air really makes.... also you will see how quickly ice melts on an eaton
Old 07-07-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
self....you missed one important point.

the coating on the blower blades is unimportant!! when spining at the higher speed that most of us have them going...2.7-2.5 the blades swel and that coating gets wore/chiped off.

when you send the blower in to be ported for example...stiegemeier says to have the coating sand blasted off or they can do it for you.

if you dont beleve me please feel free to go ahead and call stiegemeier or check there web site
http://www.stiegemeier.com/index1.html

one of the most if not the most well known shop that works on eatons.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:06 PM

I still don't believe that the new generation of blowers are affected by water injection. I know that older generations had problems but the new gen blowers don't have the same coating.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by patathSS
I still don't believe that the new generation of blowers are affected by water injection. I know that older generations had problems but the new gen blowers don't have the same coating.
pat...did you even read what i put???
Old 07-07-2006, 11:43 PM

i really don't have much of an opinion on methanol because i never really considered it as an option, i always saw nitrous as the most feasible option, but i'm going to quote something from a government website that i came across about methanol and other fuels... "Methanol will attack and corrode certain metals, such as magnesium and aluminum. Additionally, the corrosion products of aluminum and methanol will precipitate out of the liquid fuel and clog filters and fuel injectors. For this reason, it is recommended that metals such as stainless steel and carbon steel be used in methanol fuel systems and fuel delivery systems. Methanol will also attack many common elastomeric materials, like rubber, polyurethane, and most plastics. Elastomers with high fluorine content and Teflon have been proven to be compatible with methanol. No special fabrication techniques are necessary to produce methanol fuel systems for flexible-fuel vehicles, although new techniques would probably be necessary to produce methanol reformers for methanol-fueled fuel cell vehicles."
Old 07-08-2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by 06black
pat...did you even read what i put???
Looks to me like they only strip Lightning blowers because of some rubbing issues specific to the Lightning. They don't strip Cobras.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by patathSS
Looks to me like they only strip Lightning blowers because of some rubbing issues specific to the Lightning. They don't strip Cobras.
I'll call them for you if you want....when i've called them about porting a LONG time ago they said the rotors get striped.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by 06black
I'll call them for you if you want....when i've called them about porting a LONG time ago they said the rotors get striped.
I'll save you the trouble! We have a GEN5 blower on my Impala and have used w/i on it now for over 20K miles, NO WEAR on the rotors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coating is fully intact! Exact same as used in the cobalt.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:22 AM

I'll save you the trouble! We have a GEN5 blower on my Impala and have used w/i on it now for over 20K miles, NO WEAR on the rotors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coating is fully intact! Exact same as used in the cobalt.
Thanks Rob, I knew the man with experience would chime in. This is now definitely the next thing I am doing.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by wesessiah
i really don't have much of an opinion on methanol because i never really considered it as an option, i always saw nitrous as the most feasible option, but i'm going to quote something from a government website that i came across about methanol and other fuels... "Methanol will attack and corrode certain metals, such as magnesium and aluminum. Additionally, the corrosion products of aluminum and methanol will precipitate out of the liquid fuel and clog filters and fuel injectors. For this reason, it is recommended that metals such as stainless steel and carbon steel be used in methanol fuel systems and fuel delivery systems. Methanol will also attack many common elastomeric materials, like rubber, polyurethane, and most plastics. Elastomers with high fluorine content and Teflon have been proven to be compatible with methanol. No special fabrication techniques are necessary to produce methanol fuel systems for flexible-fuel vehicles, although new techniques would probably be necessary to produce methanol reformers for methanol-fueled fuel cell vehicles."

Notice that says for the FUEL SYSTEM. There have been race cars running on straight methanol for decades and decades. With aluminum manifolds and heads, etc. Using a 50% or less mix of methanol reduces its corrosiveness significantly. Additionally, it is a tiny, tiny proportion compared to the volume of air going into the blower. There is no danger to normal engine parts and internals, it just means you can run methanol (or straight ethanol or many other alcohols) through most fuel systems.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by SnowTech.3
Notice that says for the FUEL SYSTEM. There have been race cars running on straight methanol for decades and decades. With aluminum manifolds and heads, etc. Using a 50% or less mix of methanol reduces its corrosiveness significantly. Additionally, it is a tiny, tiny proportion compared to the volume of air going into the blower. There is no danger to normal engine parts and internals, it just means you can run methanol (or straight ethanol or many other alcohols) through most fuel systems.
yeah, i imagine it would take excessive usage over a long period to show any signs of any corrosion from what i've been reading on it lately. on cars using straight methanol they tend to rebuild from time to time, but like you said a 50/50 mix sprayed in being overall diluted by probably 95% or higher probably wouldn't have much of a noticeable effect being used in moderation. i'd still opt for water just for the fact of it being plentiful and free. btw what type of coating is on the rotors? as in the material used.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:56 AM

AWESOME!

once agen thanks rob!