2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Weird noise from supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird noise from supercharger?

OK, so I had experienced this last week and just thought it had something to do w/ my computer needing to be reset. I noticed in a parking lot when I got out to get some icecream.

Heres what I know.

1.) I went to the track recently, and my car was considerably slower then in my previous visits. Trap speed dropped from 111 to 104-105 and 1/4 mile time from 13.41 to 13.8 w/ similar 60 foots.

2.) It makes a weird noise, almost like something is loose, or rattling. It isnt there all the time, as I took this video

http://www.xenshardware.com/movies/VIDEO0001.mp4

with my cell phone, only to come in and realize I was getting no video just audio. It did capture the sound though. I then shut my car off and went inside. Once I noticed I didnt catch the video, i grabbed my camera, and took this video.

http://www.xenshardware.com/movies/MOV03009.MPG

This was take after starting the car and driving arround the block and flooring it a couple times.

3.) My car still moves, and really doesnt suffer and drivabilty problems except when at idle. When at idle and the problem is there, you can hear the idle act funny as the exaust note changes, and it sounds like its having trouble getting air.

Is this a sign of a supercharger going bad? I am going to setup an appointment for service asap, but whats weird is its not there all the time. I really hope they dont try to blame it on my intake.....
Old 10-15-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Xenozx
OK, so I had experienced this last week and just thought it had something to do w/ my computer needing to be reset. I noticed in a parking lot when I got out to get some icecream.

Heres what I know.

1.) I went to the track recently, and my car was considerably slower then in my previous visits. Trap speed dropped from 111 to 104-105 and 1/4 mile time from 13.41 to 13.8 w/ similar 60 foots.

2.) It makes a weird noise, almost like something is loose, or rattling. It isnt there all the time, as I took this video

http://www.xenshardware.com/movies/VIDEO0001.mp4

with my cell phone, only to come in and realize I was getting no video just audio. It did capture the sound though. I then shut my car off and went inside. Once I noticed I didnt catch the video, i grabbed my camera, and took this video.

http://www.xenshardware.com/movies/MOV03009.MPG

This was take after starting the car and driving arround the block and flooring it a couple times.

3.) My car still moves, and really doesnt suffer and drivabilty problems except when at idle. When at idle and the problem is there, you can hear the idle act funny as the exaust note changes, and it sounds like its having trouble getting air.

Is this a sign of a supercharger going bad? I am going to setup an appointment for service asap, but whats weird is its not there all the time. I really hope they dont try to blame it on my intake.....

COUPLER!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by theneelster
COUPLER!
is that bad? is it hard to replace? I've never had a tech problem with my car, and now im about to sell it and something like this happens

Do you think the dealer would cover this under warranty, or would they blame it on my intake?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 AM

i think i have been hearing the same thing on mine too....but its not always there...i was wondering if that has to do with going with smaller pulleys, cuz i didnt start hearing it til after i put the 2.6 on.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_...=155&catid=142
Old 10-16-2008, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ i had always wondered what that coupler was. now i know after reading the how to they have for installing
Old 10-16-2008, 07:13 AM

To replace the couplers the absolute hardest part is the auto tensioner for your belt thats the absolute bitch! it's 15mm but I had to hammer on a 5/8's in order to put enough ***** on the tensioner. once you get the belt off carefully disconnect quick tabs on the brake booster vacume line and BCS vacume line to the right of the supercharger. once those are off then carefully disconnect the harness for the throttle body and unbolt the intercooler coolant resivior two 10mm bolts. disconnect intake .Then with a 6mm allen socket 3/8's drive loosen and remove the four supercharger mounting bolts at the base of the supercharger. Then carefully remove supercharger not to bend the fragil gasket for reuse!!! now with the ZZP coupler kit remove the fill/drian plug next to the snout and suck out all the oil it'll smell like dead babies thats normal. once as much as possible is removed unbolt the 10mm bolts or 3/8's i dont remmember, surrounding the snout and pry the snout off of the housing with a flat tip, remmember take your time try not to gouge the housing to bad. you'll notice a notch in between the snout and housing this is where you pry at! once you slide the snout from the housing you'll see the stock couplers they are a greyish brown. With that same flat tip wiggle of the couplers off and discard. install new couplers. Ther is no specific way to install both sides are identical!

Install is easy just clean the mating sufaces of the snout and casing with brake cleaner push the two back togather there will be some tension thats because the holes in the new coupler are tight! once back togather put a dab of RTV on the ends of the bolts as you reinstall this is to ensure no leak! torque to 18ftlb's and refill supercharger oil. now your ready to reinstall!!!!

Remmember to inspect rotors for worn teflon or worn casing. The ends of the rotors can have a little worn teflon depending on milage.

From start to finish it'll take an hour depending upon the tensioner!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 AM

^^ USMC linked to ZZPs page with a how to.... but thanks for a second write up! lol
Old 10-16-2008, 09:20 AM

yes thanks for your time sts2!

I may need to do this soon.. i might just change them so the problem wont even come up.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:51 AM

Yes, thanks everyone for the info, I appriciate it. Do you guys think this is something that would be covered under the powertrain warranty? Like, I have 42,000 miles on my car, and am just wondering if its worth taking to the dealer, or if they are going to charge me for it, and its best to just fix it myself?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 AM

If its under warrenty, then they should fix it... and that would be your best bet..

If they are not going to cover it, it is something that you can do yourself and they would over price you at the dealership to install it... You can get the peice yourself for a ton cheaper.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:08 AM

aiight ima take it up there probably next weekend, and then see if they will replace it under warranty. If not, it looks like I can get the whole kit off ebay for about 40 bucks w/ oil and everything, so ill go that route if I end up having to do it myself.

I am just worried about the thing the guy above said. I had the same problem when I was swapping my pulley, and I think I wore it down to the point it may be impossible for me to get it up gain. I guess we will see.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:32 PM

hmmm, same noise occurs even when the engine isnt running?

http://www.xenshardware.com/movies/MOV03026.MPG

the noise comes from close to where the intake attaches to the supercharger, so from the right side of the charger not the left near the snout. Is it possible its still this coupler, or could it be something else?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:49 PM

^^ the throttle should be the only moving part of the car when the car is ON but no ignition. The throttle opens for a second, and then closes. I would take your throttle off, make sure it looks ok, and give it a good cleaning while its off.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
^^ the throttle should be the only moving part of the car when the car is ON but no ignition. The throttle opens for a second, and then closes. I would take your throttle off, make sure it looks ok, and give it a good cleaning while its off.
aiight, I am going to give this a try. That noise is scary, and today I was sitting in a drive through and my car was really acting up at idle. I dont like it at all. It feels like it almost wants to stall. When the car is moving its fine, I can floor to 7 k and shift no issues, its jsut when its sitting at idle....

Ima wait till tomorrow when its light out. Ill update w/ how goes. So the coupler is not on that side in the video right? Its on the other side?
Old 10-17-2008, 10:57 PM

So the coupler is not on that side in the video right? Its on the other side?
^^The coupler is on the snout/left side.

I've been driving on the worn out coupler for almost two years now (sounds like rocks bouncing around inside the sc).... dealers never figured out what it was so I just kept on driving it.

So my question is, could driving on a worn out coupler for this long have caused any further damage to the sc?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

hmmm, same noise occurs even when the engine isnt running?

http://www.xenshardware.com/movies/MOV03026.MPG

the noise comes from close to where the intake attaches to the supercharger, so from the right side of the charger not the left near the snout. Is it possible its still this coupler, or could it be something else?
That sounds like a problem with the throttle body . There is a electric motor in there that moves the butterfly in our fly by wire system. If that is the noise you are hearing then the coupler isn't the problem, the coupler only moves when the car is running or the SC is spinning.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:22 PM

well I think I may have fixed this myself. It was definately the throttle body making this noise. I took off my intake and put the car to a half on position, and could see the trottle body thing move and it was hitting the shell. I decided I was going to clean it, and got some paper towels, and cleaned it as best as I could without taking it off. there was a lot of dry black grease, or dust that I got rid of. Now when I do the same thing it makes like 1 click noise instead of several. It seems OK Now. The real test is going to be taking it for a ride, and sitting somewhere witht he car fully warmed up and in idle, as thats where you noticed the problem the most. I will update again shortly.

seems OK, and pulls harder ??? I dont know what the heck was wrong, but its definately back to normal. I did pull a CEL P2119 or something (I forget now) after starting up my car after cleaning. I cleared the code, and it didnt come back. I drove her for a bit on the highway, and then opened her up. Shifted at 7K, and man was it pulling. I have no idea how that dust could cause my car to feel slower, and to act up, but it seems fixed.

like, when I was in the drive through, if I just barely touched the gas, my idle would drop down to 500 rpm's, feel like it was about to stall out, then bounce back up. then it would be bouncy the whole time sitting there just not alot, but enough to hear my exhaust note change.

now if i just touch the gas, it will drop down to normal idle (750-800) and never go below, unlike before? Go figure....

Last edited by Xenozx; 10-18-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-19-2008, 09:18 AM

P.S. My gas milage increased as well..... WTF O_o

I think everyone should do this, cause who knows, maybe it will be beneficial for all. Its not like it looked out of the norm, but it was definately causing issues.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Yeah theres a sticky in 2.0 lsj Tech about cleaning out the TB. It fixes that notorious "rough idle."
Seems like everyones gets gunked up after a while. Its good to clean out regularly, even if you aren't noticing problems.

I just cleaned mine for the first time at 35k miles, but it wasn't as gunky/dirty as other people have described theirs.
Used Throttle Body/Carb Cleaner along with some rags (being very careful around the butterfly valve).

Good to see the problem is solved though.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

can you use Lucas oil stabilizer in the SC itself?
Old 10-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The throttle body noise will come back.

Dealer replaced mine under warranty.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:08 PM

man, I just used a paper towel, lol. It wasnt bad at all. Just enough where the TB thing had trouble closing. But ya, i will make sure if it happens again I give it a real cleaning w/ some brake cleaner or something
Old 10-20-2008, 05:13 AM

man, I just used a paper towel, lol. It wasnt bad at all. Just enough where the TB thing had trouble closing. But ya, i will make sure if it happens again I give it a real cleaning w/ some brake cleaner or something
glad my suggestion fixed your issue. as per your previous post, one click is normal. When you turn the car to ON, the throttle goes WOT for a second or two, then snaps shut, making the click noise.

For future reference, I used an engine degreaser for my TB (engine brite i believe). gets all the cracks and crevices, and then you can even get it with some paper towels, and some Q-tips for the corners near the center of the blade. Make sure you wash it off with water though before running the car...i cant imagine engine degreaser fumes are good for the car...lol

incase you didnt guess btw, i removed the TB when I cleaned mine...MUCH easier this way, especially since its only 4 little bolts
Old 10-20-2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
glad my suggestion fixed your issue. as per your previous post, one click is normal. When you turn the car to ON, the throttle goes WOT for a second or two, then snaps shut, making the click noise.

For future reference, I used an engine degreaser for my TB (engine brite i believe). gets all the cracks and crevices, and then you can even get it with some paper towels, and some Q-tips for the corners near the center of the blade. Make sure you wash it off with water though before running the car...i cant imagine engine degreaser fumes are good for the car...lol

incase you didnt guess btw, i removed the TB when I cleaned mine...MUCH easier this way, especially since its only 4 little bolts
ya, I left mine attached, so it wasnt a thorough clean, just enough to get it running right. If it starts to happen again, im gonna take it off and do a full clean. Its just cold now, and I hate working on my car when its cold out lol. Why couldnt this have happend 2 months ago!

Quick Reply: Weird noise from supercharger?