2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Weird noise from supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your statements would not be "moronic" if you would actually explain your reasoning..?

I am confident in my understanding of the M62 unit, and that being said, I am not certain what removing any vacuum lines from the blower would prove? Please explain your reasoning...

I know for instance that my M62 has the "marbles" sound going on, and I am fairly confident that it is the coupler, as the noise comes from the snout area of the blower.

If you have another idea concerning something else please shed some light on it...
Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 PM

you can troubleshoot if it is the coupler by seeing if there is "play" with the SC pulley. if you can move it at all then that is what it is. This can be done by using a 9/16s wrench and using a hammer to get it on.... the GM specs were wrong on the next size up and made me round my tensioner.

otherwise it is something else. Im too lazy to make a video atm and have nothing to prove to people.

loose couplers dont drop boost.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:10 PM

go for the ls4 TB
Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 PM

the problem in in the internal fly-by-wire, computer controlled actuator. throttle body services wouldnt help. my car had the same issue
Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by ggarcia86
the problem in in the internal fly-by-wire, computer controlled actuator. throttle body services wouldnt help. my car had the same issue
k he has the technical word for it. either way, doesnt make a **** to me. Attempting to give an idea = fail to the ones who read books/posts.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 PM

Phantom, I still don't see what removing the hose does..? Explain..?

I agree that you can check coupler play by removing the belt and twisting the pulley in your hands to feel play...
Old 11-12-2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by csementuh
Phantom, I still don't see what removing the hose does..? Explain..?

I agree that you can check coupler play by removing the belt and twisting the pulley in your hands to feel play...
ugh id record and put it on youtube but im too lazy.

go out to your car and open the hood. Start the car up. listen to the SC. you already have the marbles sound so i dont know if it will get worse or not, short of the boost.

Find the vac line from the SC to the sender unit.

Unplug it.

Enjoy marbles.

Now rev engine.

Enjoy reduced psi reading
Old 11-13-2008, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the info man... But what does it prove? Does it just prove that the "marbles sound" gets worse under boost if the coupler is bad? Or does it prove something else..?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 AM

The marbles sound IS the coupler...Bottom line...Period!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by csementuh
Thanks for the info man... But what does it prove? Does it just prove that the "marbles sound" gets worse under boost if the coupler is bad? Or does it prove something else..?
my coupler isnt bad and has no play yet it does it when i unplug the vac line. You are right that it will get worse, but mine was just replaced yet still makes a marbles sound when i undo the vac hose.

Its not ALWAYS the coupler. However i know the coupler is the root cause of MOST marbles sounds.

loose couplers do NOT reduce boost. They eventually just seize the SC.

Im not here to argue the point that it COULD be the coupler. It may very well be, I am however, shedding light on OTHER things that could cause the problem. Yes, i know the coupler is 90% of the marbles sounds but the boost reduction is not.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:16 AM

keep in mind, its not just a sound. It was performance robbing, caused me to pull CEL's and caused a ruff idle and engine power reduced messages. Trust me this wasnt the coupler. the noise even happens when the car isnt running sometimes per the video I posted. if the car isnt running, the supercharger isnt spinning, so how could the coupler be making the noise? also the noise is coming from the oposite side of the supercharger.

Its definately the TB atleast in my case.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Xenozx
keep in mind, its not just a sound. It was performance robbing, caused me to pull CEL's and caused a ruff idle and engine power reduced messages. Trust me this wasnt the coupler. the noise even happens when the car isnt running sometimes per the video I posted. if the car isnt running, the supercharger isnt spinning, so how could the coupler be making the noise? also the noise is coming from the oposite side of the supercharger.

i doubt it is the TB, however if it solves it i will be impressed.

and your right, the coupler would not all of a sudden rob power and cause marbles from sounding. Its a gradual process.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:30 PM

To the OP, yes please replace you TB. You can find one used relatively cheap, and it is an easy fix. Or upgrade to a LS4 TB if you can get tuned...
Old 11-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by PhantomSS
you can troubleshoot if it is the coupler by seeing if there is "play" with the SC pulley. if you can move it at all then that is what it is. This can be done by using a 9/16s wrench and using a hammer to get it on.... the GM specs were wrong on the next size up and made me round my tensioner.

otherwise it is something else. Im too lazy to make a video atm and have nothing to prove to people.

loose couplers dont drop boost.
It's 15mm metric not a hammered on 9/16th.

OP has a bad TB, simple as that. It makes the noise without the motor running.....lol.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Will be picking the car up tonight. Dealership said its done. 100 bucks total for the repair. new throttle body and labor included. They said they did some deductible thing?

Anyway, I will confirm if it took care of it

They where like " you know your check engine light might still come on...." I was like O_o then he said " you have an aftermarket cat" and I was like, ya i know lol.....
Old 11-13-2008, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Xenozx

I wouldn't classify the sound your car is making as a "marbles or rocks rolling around in the supercharger" I'd classify it as a clicking sound.

BTW I've never heard of the coupler seizing up the supercharger.

Last edited by Tazmanian_Dvl; 11-13-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-13-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee
It's 15mm metric not a hammered on 9/16th.

OP has a bad TB, simple as that. It makes the noise without the motor running.....lol.
yup thats what rounded my tensioner. Go ahead and take the risk.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:09 PM

OK, soo my blower has the marbles sound at idle pretty loud. It sounds like it is coming from the snout of the blower, but it also has a sound coming from the inlet side too...

Soo, I took off the belt, and twisted the pulley back and forth in my hand to check for play indicating a loose coupler. It felt nice and tight with no play I could detect.

Any ideas? The car only has 11,500 miles on it, soo I don't see how much could be that wore out unless it's from me beating on the car.

Could it be the needle bearings holding the rotors in the inlet side? I hope not, as I hear those are difficult to remove? Or possibly the ball bearings in the snout? I was going to buy a coupler and tear it down and replace it, but my check did not indicate that problem.

Any suggestions...? Thanks?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:41 PM

coupler is my bet. sound can travel from one end to the other. My bet is still the coupler...
Old 11-15-2008, 06:44 PM

the marbles sound is your coupler, it doesnt hurt the performance if i remember correctly. mine did it and everyone i have ever known who owns an SS/SC had theirs do it too. no need to worry IMO.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:20 PM

mine started doin it at about 8500 miles
Old 11-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by PhantomSS
yup thats what rounded my tensioner. Go ahead and take the risk.
I've swapped my pulley's atleast 10 times or more , no rounding or slipping off. Guess my 15mm or tensioner nub is different than yours.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee
I've swapped my pulley's atleast 10 times or more , no rounding or slipping off. Guess my 15mm or tensioner nub is different than yours.
your more careful than I
Old 11-16-2008, 10:54 AM

got my car back and over the last few days the sound seems to be gone. Im happy. It did cost me 100, but what ever atleast now I can sit at a drivethrough without my car stalling out on me. Im glad this ordeal is over. In my case it was definately the throttle body.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:20 PM

^^ Good to hear man! Glad you got your ride fixed up. I'm still debating on what to do with my situation...

Anybody else think the coupler could still be bad and make noise even if there is no noticable play in the pulley? (take off the belt and wiggles pulley back and forth) Ideas..?

Quick Reply: Weird noise from supercharger?