2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Well, I finally blew up... Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp
go with Ray Bates!

http://www.batesengineering.info/contact.htm

when i cracked a sleeve the coolant was gone in a few seconds i knew right then what happened. i hoped it was the hg but i just changed mine too 3days before also so i was like..... its a sleeve. other crazy thing is i was at the same mi as you.... weird all the turbo lsj go at about 30k mi.

the sleeves just cant hang for very long. mine went from 12k-30k
dont tell me that im at 40 k now ugh kinda worried
Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 AM

damn goodluck man
Old 06-03-2010, 10:33 AM

If it makes you feel any better my LSJ went boom at 22,008 miles.

The machine shop that resleaved my #4 offered to do Dartons across the board for 900$ (versus 300$ for a single stock replacement on top of honing all 4 & hot tanking the block).

Good luck with it.

And unless it was sucking coolant from the time the head was reinstalled, it's extremely unlikely that you lost all your coolant in a mile due to a bad head gasket. Sounds like it's quite possbile a sleeve went out on you... Any idea why the boost spiked? When the engine shut off did you hear any type of sound or it just shut off?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:18 AM

go with Ray Bates!

http://www.batesengineering.info/contact.htm

when i cracked a sleeve the coolant was gone in a few seconds i knew right then what happened. i hoped it was the hg but i just changed mine too 3days before also so i was like..... its a sleeve. other crazy thing is i was at the same mi as you.... weird all the turbo lsj go at about 30k mi.

the sleeves just cant hang for very long. mine went from 12k-30k
what exactly did ray bates do with your motor? i mean what is his capabilities? i made up my mind.. im going for 500 whp so i need to know what exactly i need to replace in order to make that power somewhat safely lol. and i cant believe yours did the same **** at exactly the same time as mine. the new head was installed for exactly 3 days when it let go lol

Originally Posted by Jazer
If it makes you feel any better my LSJ went boom at 22,008 miles.

The machine shop that resleaved my #4 offered to do Dartons across the board for 900$ (versus 300$ for a single stock replacement on top of honing all 4 & hot tanking the block).

Good luck with it.

And unless it was sucking coolant from the time the head was reinstalled, it's extremely unlikely that you lost all your coolant in a mile due to a bad head gasket. Sounds like it's quite possbile a sleeve went out on you... Any idea why the boost spiked? When the engine shut off did you hear any type of sound or it just shut off?
i think it was pretty much my fault. i had my boost controller set for 20 psi and once in awhile it would spike really high like 24ish but i would know so i would let off.. this time i felt it like before but i just ignored it like an idiot. can you do me a favor and tell anthony that i blew it up whenever you can get ahold of him? i know hes training but im sure you guys will talk sooner or later.

Last edited by VeNoM0713; 06-03-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 AM

bates sleeves will b used in my tvs build
Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by VeNoM0713
i think it was pretty much my fault. i had my boost controller set for 20 psi and once in awhile it would spike really high like 24ish but i would know so i would let off.. this time i felt it like before but i just ignored it like an idiot. can you do me a favor and tell anthony that i blew it up whenever you can get ahold of him? i know hes training but im sure you guys will talk sooner or later.
Ouch thats shitty. My turbo J never spiked boost.

I texted him, lol... I actually talk to him daily, however, today looks like it will be the last time for awhile, we'll see.

What were/are you running for a wastegate & boost controller? What PSI spring in the W/g?

Last edited by Jazer; 06-03-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Ouch thats shitty. My turbo J never spiked boost.

I texted him, lol... I actually talk to him daily, however, today looks like it will be the last time for awhile, we'll see.

What were/are you running for a wastegate & boost controller? What PSI spring in the W/g?
i have both a tial wg and bov.. boost controller is an hks eci vi or some ****. when the boost controller is off, it looked like i was making 16 psi
Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 PM

Chris if you guys need another hand this weekend give me a shout... I dont have much planned.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:03 PM

i have both a tial wg and bov.. boost controller is an hks eci vi or some ****. when the boost controller is off, it looked like i was making 16 psi

Quality parts... but you shouldn't be getting spikes like that.. something isn't right if you are getting it that consistantly. WG isn't efficiently getting rid of the excess exhaust gasses.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Bates re-used my forged pistons. (86mm, 9.5:1)

he sleeved my block leaving the cyl higher than the deck in order to promote better HG seal without O-ringing it.

i got his NBS he makes for gm

new rod, crank bearings (gm)

studded the bottom end with ARP (i already had head studs)

polish crank journals and balance

new total seal rings

then i had him go ahead and assemble my short block (brough it to him in short block)

$2400 otd, local pickup.

it was like 1100 for sleeves and machine work and install
then it was 225 for nbs
like 150 for ring kit
250 for him to assemble short block
like 250 for the ARP block studs and machine work, they are bigger so the girddle has to drill and tap
50 for him to tear it down
200 for the crank work and balance
like another 150 in bearings

it adds up quick but that is good to roughly 600hp, 500whp safely was my goal.

he told me the rods were fine for that and the crank too. he said i must stud the block cause otherwise it will pinch a crank bearing @ 500whp with the stock bolts.

Ray knows whats up. hes got over 1450whp ecotect's under his belt lol
Old 06-03-2010, 01:59 PM

Oh btw, If you need total seal piston rings, let me know, I have a brand new set of them i can hook you up with, that I didnt end up using with my diamonds.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i heard good things about ray bates
Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 PM

just make sure you get your torque specs right
Old 06-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Banned

Bates re-used my forged pistons. (86mm, 9.5:1)

he sleeved my block leaving the cyl higher than the deck in order to promote better HG seal without O-ringing it.

i got his NBS he makes for gm

new rod, crank bearings (gm)

studded the bottom end with ARP (i already had head studs)

polish crank journals and balance

new total seal rings

then i had him go ahead and assemble my short block (brough it to him in short block)

$2400 otd, local pickup.

it was like 1100 for sleeves and machine work and install
then it was 225 for nbs
like 150 for ring kit
250 for him to assemble short block
like 250 for the ARP block studs and machine work, they are bigger so the girddle has to drill and tap
50 for him to tear it down
200 for the crank work and balance
like another 150 in bearings

it adds up quick but that is good to roughly 600hp, 500whp safely was my goal.

he told me the rods were fine for that and the crank too. he said i must stud the block cause otherwise it will pinch a crank bearing @ 500whp with the stock bolts.

Ray knows whats up. hes got over 1450whp ecotect's under his belt lol
some good info right there
Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM

Oh btw, If you need total seal piston rings, let me know, I have a brand new set of them i can hook you up with, that I didnt end up using with my diamonds.
thanks! yeah, ill for sure take those off your hands. ill be in touch : )

well guys, i completely destroyed sleeves 3 and 4... pics will be up later. lol...

Last edited by VeNoM0713; 06-03-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-03-2010, 09:04 PM

Well let carnage pictures begin. With about 3 hours of time the guys had the head off the car.

The start of the project

Valve cover off with a little jizzum in it

New head making its way off

Initial picture with the head off

Close up. He managed to crack 2 sleeves

A little damage done to the new head

And lastly Chris's reaction to cracking 2 sleeves. There was a point where he was laughing at the damage he did.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 PM

nice 2 sleeves...now thats some damage lol they cracked pretty goood lol

ray bates is very knowledgeable on these engines..i called him last week for a qoute, he qouted me 1100 for sleeves and install... 450 to assemble bottom end with all new parts i will be sending with my engine, with neutral balance shafts, and 450 for all head work, all this includes all machine work, balancing, everything.

i would defantly reccommend him to anyone, only problem for me is he is in cali, and im in MD. cant get much farter away. but he had reccommended what to use to ship it, estimated turn around time, and everything i needed to know.

No BS, really like his service
Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 PM

YEY i like picture book stories....Damn chris that sucks, come back stronger this time though....11's here you come

Overnight some parts from japan, and youll be ready for CED
Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jrhdpaintball
nice 2 sleeves...now thats some damage lol they cracked pretty goood lol

ray bates is very knowledgeable on these engines..i called him last week for a qoute, he qouted me 1100 for sleeves and install... 450 to assemble bottom end with all new parts i will be sending with my engine, with neutral balance shafts, and 450 for all head work, all this includes all machine work, balancing, everything.

i would defantly reccommend him to anyone, only problem for me is he is in cali, and im in MD. cant get much farter away. but he had reccommended what to use to ship it, estimated turn around time, and everything i needed to know.

No BS, really like his service
do you know if he has extra blocks? im thinking this one is toast soi mean i have to buy a new one anyways, i might as well get one from him.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 PM

do you know if he has extra blocks? im thinking this one is toast soi mean i have to buy a new one anyways, i might as well get one from him.
he def has extra blocks he has a pile of them lol and he lets em go for dirt cheap...

Ray is the man bro, anyone who has used him will say the same. last one he sold to a buddies friend was like $120 bare block dont quote me but there cheap i know that.

if you wanna make it interesting he even has stroker cranks but that gets really pricey really quick.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 PM

honestly, i wouldnt waste your money on a new block, this one probably needs to be bored .10 and put .10 over pistons in it then you can say you drive a 2.1 liter lol
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 PM

he def has extra blocks he has a pile of them lol and he lets em go for dirt cheap...

Ray is the man bro, anyone who has used him will say the same. last one he sold to a buddies friend was like $120 bare block dont quote me but there cheap i know that.

if you wanna make it interesting he even has stroker cranks but that gets really pricey really quick.
well i just emailed him so ill see what he says tomorrow. do you know his shop hours? i need to have slowswap talk to him because i honestly dont know everything i need to ask him..
Old 06-04-2010, 03:01 AM

he has two shops and is always between the two, he has ok'd me to give out his cell number to people who are interested in sleeve srvc

i actually try and talk to him every cpl mon see whats going on with him. i'll pm you now.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:42 AM

thanks chris. ill let him know you referred me : )
Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 AM

he has two shops and is always between the two, he has ok'd me to give out his cell number to people who are interested in sleeve srvc

i actually try and talk to him every cpl mon see whats going on with him. i'll pm you now.
are both shops in cali?

Quick Reply: Well, I finally blew up... Need advice