2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Well, I finally blew up... Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yay, here's mine for the hell of it. We should start a picture thread of cracked sleeves.

I can tell you though, that little bit of dinging on your head can be cleaned up. But that's totally up to you. Remember though, increasing the CC's of the combustion chamber will drop compression.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn.. That's impressive.. Sorry dude
Old 06-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VeNoM0713
thats what i figured.. i dont have the 900-1000 dollars for upgraded rods..
Not that I don't think the stock LSJ rods are tough enough but you could always...

Get the 2.2L forged rods from Eagle for $300
http://www.cimotorsports.net/motor-s...ec-cobalt.html

and the 2.2L forged pistons from Diamond or Wiseco for $400-$500

You will have a kick ass set of rods a lot cheaper then whats out there right now. Not to mention the added benifit the longer rod, like:
like less stress on the cylnder walls due to the piston will travel straighter in the bore
less stress on the piston skirt lbecause it will travel straighter in the bore
less stress on the cranck because you decrease rod angle
you slow the piston speed down
it will also give the engine the ability to rev faster and higher due to all the above
Old 06-04-2010, 01:10 PM

^^ 2.2L & 2.0L rods are exactly the same in length, the only difference is the wrist pin diameter, 2.0 LSJ wrist pin is much larger than the 2.2 L61. Pistons are different. 2.0 cylinders have a 96mm bore and 9.5:1 compression stock... and the 2.2 have a 86mm bore with a 10:1 compression stock.

I personally would stick with the stouter wrist pins and go forged on the 2.0 components versus custom "2.2l" style pistons if you wanted to go that route. They are not directly interchangeable.

That... and if you were actually changing rod length, that would effect the compression ratio in cylinder as well as the measured stroke... The LSJ has a dead even bore/stroke ratio which is GREAT for higher revving applications. LSJ = win.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned

that block is shot. that sucks dude good luck.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 PM

Rod Length Does not effect stroke..
Old 06-04-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ I'm with this guy. Longer rods make for a better ratio though.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazer
^^ 2.2L & 2.0L rods are exactly the same in length, the only difference is the wrist pin diameter, 2.0 LSJ wrist pin is much larger than the 2.2 L61.
There is a slight difference in the lengh

2.2 = 5.765 is the length pin diameter is 20 mm
2.0 = 5.728 is the length pin diameter is 23 mm

I don't think the pin diameter would make that big of a difference. Plus the 20mm eagle pin is most likely stronger then the 23mm stock LSJ pin. And they use a different pin location.

Pistons are different. 2.0 cylinders have a 96mm bore and 9.5:1 compression stock... and the 2.2 have a 86mm bore with a 10:1 compression stock.
Stock. Yes.

But you can change the rod length or the piston compression height to accommodate the longer stroke

That... and if you were actually changing rod length, that would effect the compression ratio in cylinder as well as the measured stroke... The LSJ has a dead even bore/stroke ratio which is GREAT for higher revving applications. LSJ = win.
Certainly.

I am not trying to say that using forged internals designed for the 2.2 is 100x better then using Stock LSJ parts. I am just giving an alternative to $900 forged LSJ rods to have a fully forged engine.

There is a guy on RLFs working through trying to figure out how to make this work on the LSJ. If anything, I find it interesting to "think outside the box" a little see if there is anyway to improve on something that is already pretty good.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:16 PM

I was under the impression the rods were the same length, my mistake. I've even looked at them next to eachother when my LSJ rods were out.. I suppose the difference is too minimal to be real noticeable without using verniers, but the wrist pin diameter difference was blatently obvious, I was looking more at that anyways.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jrhdpaintball
are both shops in cali?
ya one is in his back yard the other one is near by both in SoCal costa mesa
Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 PM

Well time for an update and more pictures of the progress. Today's goal was to get the rest of the motor out of the car and with some time that was accomplished.

First up they got the bumper off the car, removed the remaining piping, and other misc connections.

Parts randomly gathered behind his car

The 3 day old ported head

Slowswap pulling out what was left of the motor

Contemplation of what truly happened

Oh Hi I has cracks in me

Rock on Slowswap, rock on

And Finally how the car is currently sitting until a new block arrives for assembly

Old 06-04-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like mine
Old 06-04-2010, 11:13 PM

i remember that... looks like you guys removed alot of stuff like all the piping and all that. i squeezed mine in and out

next comes one of these!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:16 PM

lol, nice chris.. if i had to guess, im going to have to send him my crank and rods correct? i also need to buy pistons and rings.. i dont know if i should buy them and then send everything to him or what
Old 06-04-2010, 11:28 PM

yeah send him the rotating assy minus pistons. diamond are made to order. some vendors have em on the shelf i had to wait 2 weeks so you might wanna get that rolling.

Ray can get you the bearings for cheap. that block is possibly good, he removes all that material anyways when drilling the block for the sleeves. he saved mine but mine was not that bad lol

but for the shipping freight and the price he sells em for i would just buy one of his.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp
yeah send him the rotating assy minus pistons. diamond are made to order. some vendors have em on the shelf i had to wait 2 weeks so you might wanna get that rolling.

Ray can get you the bearings for cheap. that block is possibly good, he removes all that material anyways when drilling the block for the sleeves. he saved mine but mine was not that bad lol

but for the shipping freight and the price he sells em for i would just buy one of his.
thats what i figured.. sucks hes all the way in cali lol

one more question, so were gonna have to install the pistons ourselves correct? he doesnt do that? and what is your opinion on getting the coatings on the pistons? waste of money or is it worth it?

Last edited by VeNoM0713; 06-04-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 AM

thats what i figured.. sucks hes all the way in cali lol

one more question, so were gonna have to install the pistons ourselves correct? he doesnt do that? and what is your opinion on getting the coatings on the pistons? waste of money or is it worth it?
ray can assemeble and do almost anything on these engines. he really knows these engines. im getting ready to send my shortblock out, along with pistons, rings, NBS and he is going to install sleeves, and assemeble everything on the bottom end. he has all the bearings and bolts there, i didnt have to purchase them.

he will also prolly tell you to use one of those rubbermaid large plastic bins to ship them in.
just put it in there, and use a strap and bolt it shut. still havnt figured out the details, but along those lines lol, im only going off what he gave me. but if he has blocks for the cheap, it might be cheaper to buy one of this.

let me know if you get any info, as i will do the same.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by hungryhip-ccp

Oh man i want this to happen to my GMR block....
Old 06-06-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jrhdpaintball
ray can assemeble and do almost anything on these engines. he really knows these engines. im getting ready to send my shortblock out, along with pistons, rings, NBS and he is going to install sleeves, and assemeble everything on the bottom end. he has all the bearings and bolts there, i didnt have to purchase them.

he will also prolly tell you to use one of those rubbermaid large plastic bins to ship them in.
just put it in there, and use a strap and bolt it shut. still havnt figured out the details, but along those lines lol, im only going off what he gave me. but if he has blocks for the cheap, it might be cheaper to buy one of this.

let me know if you get any info, as i will do the same.
hmm.. so i take it i shouldnt order new rod cap bolts? i need to order all the bullshit tty stuff and gaskets that im gonna need. i dont want to forget anything. hopefully i can get ahold of ray tomorrow..
Old 06-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Bates engineering sleeves
Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 AM

hmm.. so i take it i shouldnt order new rod cap bolts? i need to order all the bullshit tty stuff and gaskets that im gonna need. i dont want to forget anything. hopefully i can get ahold of ray tomorrow..
ray will set you up with rod bolts for lsj. us as the general public can only find 2.2 ARP rod bolts but there different so ray has his own made. Sometimes it seems there is no limit to the things he can do lol. the block studs he uses are custom made as well, only prob is you gotta pay to play! they are $18 ea!!! and we need 10 or 12 cant remember

but he'll tell you to get them cause he has to trq the main girdle in order to check the clearences and the stock bolts are half the price but they are trq to yield and you would have to but 2 sets so he will advise you to just go with the studs.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Banned

So roughly what is the cost of everything to have ray build up a short block?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zach06CobaltSC
So roughly what is the cost of everything to have ray build up a short block?
alot it seems lol.. if i get ahold of him tomorrow ill let you know how much its going to be for me.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Banned

Great thanks man I appreciate it. It looks like my engine builder and I aren't exactly going to work for certain reasons so I need to move on and look elsewhere. I am thinking about ottp since they are close, but.... I don't know.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zach06CobaltSC
Great thanks man I appreciate it. It looks like my engine builder and I aren't exactly going to work for certain reasons so I need to move on and look elsewhere. I am thinking about ottp since they are close, but.... I don't know.
ive emailed, PMed, messaged ottp for months and months about getting their short block done. with atleast 15 PMs and emails, all ive got in return was 2 responces saying "what do you want done". i give up, it gets old always begging for them to get something done, and them seeming like they could care less about you.

id rather just cut the middle man and get ray

Quick Reply: Well, I finally blew up... Need advice