2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

What engine oil are you running???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx
Dude get over yourself. You drive a grocery-getter Cobalt with a turbo. It's a Cobalt man.

Royal Purple I would use in a DRAG Mustang (Notch), LS1 (Camaro SS), etc. Not a Cobalt, it's a waste, there is no point, and no benefit, at all. And even if there was, the difference would be so miniscule that it would be horribly insignificant anyhow.
i know its a grocery getter cobalt, but i intend to keep it for a long time. i take care of my cars, most people will agree that royal purple is better than mobil 1 in the long run. its especially good for if you autocross, id trust it more than mobil 1. im actually considering amsoil more, that **** worked wonders in my old honda
Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Dude get over yourself. You drive a grocery-getter Cobalt with a turbo. It's a Cobalt man.

Royal Purple I would use in a DRAG Mustang (Notch), LS1 (Camaro SS), etc. Not a Cobalt, it's a waste, there is no point, and no benefit, at all. And even if there was, the difference would be so miniscule that it would be horribly insignificant anyhow.
you sir are cracking me up... have you seen the effects of garbage oil on engine internals... i seen a side by side compro of a cobalt that had ran mobil 1 from the start and a cobalt that switched to royal purple after the first oil change and had ran it ever since and the outcome was almost unbelieveable. both cars were treated similar when it came to the drivers driving habits so thats is not a factor. the cams, crank, rods everything showed heat discoloration in the mobil 1 engine. that stuff is junk and after seeing that ill never run anything other than RP again. the RP engine was clean as a whitsle internally and not a single bit of discoloration anywhere to be seen. i suggest you stop spreading your opinion on here because its not factual. its just yur opinion.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StevesBlack06
you sir are cracking me up... have you seen the effects of garbage oil on engine internals... i seen a side by side compro of a cobalt that had ran mobil 1 from the start and a cobalt that switched to royal purple after the first oil change and had ran it ever since and the outcome was almost unbelieveable. both cars were treated similar when it came to the drivers driving habits so thats is not a factor. the cams, crank, rods everything showed heat discoloration in the mobil 1 engine. that stuff is junk and after seeing that ill never run anything other than RP again. the RP engine was clean as a whitsle internally and not a single bit of discoloration anywhere to be seen. i suggest you stop spreading your opinion on here because its not factual. its just yur opinion.
Burn
Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Which ever name brand Synthetic is on sale....
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 AM

gotta link?

thats just awesome. remember u heard it here first: mobil 1 ruins your engine.

LOLOLOLOL
Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 AM

Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30

was like 24 bucks for a 5 + quart jug. lol
Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by smthomas556
I use diff fluid
gear oil ftw!
Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 AM

FYI i've seen cam lobes on a SS flatten/worn after 70k using royal purple regularly. I would give a link but its not on this fourm from what i know.

EDIT Am not saying RP is bad am just saying not everything works best in some cars

Last edited by ChevyRockstar; 09-22-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Mobil 1 synthetic.. your car will like you.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
you either have to much bearing clearance on the mains or on the rods and to much side rod clearance or the oil pump is taking a **** on you the oil your runnign has nothing to do with it
Old 09-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

God, I can't believe people run Amsoil in these ****-boxes.. What a ******* waste..

Use Mobil-1 Fully Synthetic, and your engine will not fail due to oil performance problems longer than you will ever own the car.

Hell, Valvoline has a 200,000 mile guarantee on their ****.

I just can't justify wasting $70 on Amsoil + $5 for a filter + tax. On a ******* Cobalt.
I hate people that act like cobalts are so bad when they drive one

I use Mobil 1 5W-30
Old 09-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the 800th time,
Mobile 1 5W-30 because that's what it says to use.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:03 PM

Old 09-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by insylem
For the 800th time,
Mobile 1 5W-30 because that's what it says to use.
no its an advertising gimick gm gets paid to use mobil one and to put it on oil caps
Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

I switched to Amsoil when I went turbo.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
no its an advertising gimick gm gets paid to use mobil one and to put it on oil caps
Ya, I figured that when I saw it.
But Mobil 1 isn't BAD oil so I use what they say. Just because its an advertisment gimic doesn't mean it's a scam or bad for your car.
Personally, I think just about any name brand Full Synthetic, 5W-30 oil would probably be fine.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 PM

Motul 8100 5w40 only because I get it at roughly the same price as mobil1.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by ChineseWop
Motul 8100 5w40 only because I get it at roughly the same price as mobil1.
ffffffuuuuuuuuuu

You beat me to it! Motul is just as good as RP but doesnt have the sheering off problem that many see with RP. If you're involved in autox/drag/road racing with your cobalt, I highly suggest Motul. But I use 5w-30
Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by insylem
Ya, I figured that when I saw it.
But Mobil 1 isn't BAD oil so I use what they say. Just because its an advertisment gimic doesn't mean it's a scam or bad for your car.
Personally, I think just about any name brand Full Synthetic, 5W-30 oil would probably be fine.
i agree
Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by selfinfliction
if our engines are so insignificant, why use synthetic in the first place? just use conventional, then save more money by running it out to 7500-10000 miles per change
I never said don't use synthetic, did I? No.

I'm saying Amsoil that is $10 a quart is doing absolutely nothing different that any other synthetic oil on the market. It's all marketing hype.

Originally Posted by Dart_SI
i know its a grocery getter cobalt, but i intend to keep it for a long time. i take care of my cars, most people will agree that royal purple is better than mobil 1 in the long run. its especially good for if you autocross, id trust it more than mobil 1. im actually considering amsoil more, that **** worked wonders in my old honda
I think you saying that "most people agree that RP is better than M1" is not factual.

What do you mean "worked miracles"? What, you change your oil, tear it down to the short-block, then put it back together, and run Amsoil, then do it again? I think you're full of it. That or you're hyping. Honestly.

I don't think you implying that M1 is garbage, is justifiable, simply because you saw a car with M1, then a car with RP, right next to each other, that were supposedly "driven the same". Listen man, I'm not trying to be a dick, but to the point where you would actually see how a certain oil affected a motor (cam lobes are easy to look at and are easy to spot wear), would be well near 100,000 miles. And the possibility of having two of the same car, that were on a strict "driven the same, treated the same" basis, are negligible.

Sorry dude, that's just not proof. Once again. Hype backed up by zero claims. Companies spend MILLIONS each year on testing their oil on a very strict basis for performance, emissions, fuel economy, wear factors, etc. Your one encounter on two random vehicles doesn't really justify your explanation.

Originally Posted by ChevyRockstar
FYI i've seen cam lobes on a SS flatten/worn after 70k using royal purple regularly. I would give a link but its not on this fourm from what i know.

EDIT Am not saying RP is bad am just saying not everything works best in some cars
I have seen this too. If half of the RP fan-boys above actually knew how to read a ******* API reading, they would know that even the current RP 5W-30 does absolutely not meet the requirements for this vehicle. It is SL, our cars need to have oil that meets SM. Also, which, it needs to meet the GM requirement number, located on M1 bottles, and mostly all other synthetics, which RP does not. GM does absolutely not back up using RP in your car for a reason. They don't reject it and refuse to put the "ok" on the RP bottle for fun. The reason being that it is missing additives that newer cars need.

Originally Posted by Godly
I hate people that act like cobalts are so bad when they drive one

I use Mobil 1 5W-30
I don't hate it, but let's not get carried away and buy Amsoil for a Cobalt. You're driving a 13 second, daily driver, sub-compact car, not NHRA funny-cars.

Most of these guys need to quit watching the Speed channel, and put down the MotorTrend magazine.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:03 AM

maybe you need to take a step back and realize that not all of our cars are 13 second, grocery getter, daily drivers
Old 09-23-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spitefulxcheerio
maybe you need to take a step back and realize that not all of our cars are 13 second, grocery getter, daily drivers
Lol, you're missing the point. There is no difference that you would ever notice between M1 and RP, but hey, what ever helps you sleep at night.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

there is so much bs in this thread its funny
Old 09-23-2010, 06:07 PM

its a cobalt
Old 09-23-2010, 06:16 PM

I nearly spit my lucky charms all over the computer after reading this. Your an idiot, and changing your oil with ANY oil regularly will have the same effect as any.

The thing doesn't have 1000hp and taken to the strip daily. ugh. we got a real winner here ^^

Quick Reply: What engine oil are you running???