2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

what would it take to hit 270whp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by p7x
ya if you're looking for 270whp only, you can keep the M62, cooling mods, 2.6, 60's, tune and probably have the car running pretty reliably.
exactly what im trying to say. **** if my lsj could handle 300++ i woulda swapped a while back!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by p7x
ya if you're looking for 270whp only, you can keep the M62, cooling mods, 2.6, 60's, tune and probably have the car running pretty reliably.
Yeah. But, with all of those mods combined it would cost just around the same price as a turbo swap. GM performance made 300HP with all of the GM performance bolt ons....and those would be very costly (This included the 10:1 forged aluminum pistons).
Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 PM

Cool Yeah, right

Originally Posted by chipsgt
Do a blower swap!
Originally Posted by Johnboy12358
Because you make PSI by pushing air into a place where it cant flow. You want better flow, not better pressure.
Plus as stated earlier, the m62 makes hella heat, and it sucks HP off the engine because its not as efficient as say, a whipple (i know thats the brand, i had a brain fart) type blower

edit...
twin screw, thats it!

Well investing in cooling here is, say a couple hundred bucks. A blower swap is a major project (right now, hopefully we'll get some kits soon)
Originally Posted by Mikey851
Well yes and no. Cooling the air will help, but that is not the only level on which our M62s lack efficiency compared to say a turbo. They also do not flow as much CFM. This is why I gave the example of the ability to flow more as well as the air charge density.

Although our roots blowers can build boost extremely quickly, it will not be able to flow as much mass of air into the engine. The main difference here being that the roots blower actually blows air into the intake manifold where it is compressed, and a twin screw let's say, compresses the air inside of itself. This alone makes it more efficient and able to flow more CFM.
Just one important question, Where do you expect to get this magical twinscrew swap that works on the Cobalt?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 PM

Well, did you see the other thread in this section about swapping to a turbo? For the same price as paying for a setup on the M62 that would make around 270WHP, you could make 300WHP and do it safely on a turbo setup.

As NJHK has said in the thread about returnless fuel systems; we are having to use fuel as a coolant when we take our boost over certain levels (aka levels high enough to make over 250WHP). This is because no matter what cooling modifications we make, even methanol, we end up having to use too large of injectors and too much fuel to do it safely.

As discussed in that same thread, this strains the fuel system, which then deprives cylinders of fuel. At that point you would also need to modify the fuel system to keep up.

now that is something new to me
Old 05-07-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Boost Fr33k
exactly what im trying to say. **** if my lsj could handle 300++ i woulda swapped a while back!

According to GM, with a piston swap, cam swap, valve springs, dual pass plate and tuning the rest of our stock rotating assembly and ignition system can take way over 300HP.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:37 PM
p7x

Yeah. But, with all of those mods combined it would cost just around the same price as a turbo swap. GM performance made 300HP with all of the GM performance bolt ons....and those would be very costly (This included the 10:1 forged aluminum pistons).
you could get those mods I listed above for $1000 est. Turbo swap would be more than that.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpin Fool
Just one important question, Where do you expect to get this magical twinscrew swap that works on the Cobalt?
It's called theory. I was using turbos and twin screws as examples because they have the similarity of compressing within themselves.

Originally Posted by p7x
you could get those mods I listed above for $1000 est. Turbo swap would be more than that.
True, but the power wouldn't be made as safely. This is why there are threads popping up about people blowing cylinder #4....because they are running HP levels in the high 200s without modding the bottom end or making a more efficient setup.

Last edited by Mikey851; 05-07-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
p7x

twinscrew swap in the works (taking forever)

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ight=twinscrew
Old 05-07-2007, 08:41 PM

According to GM, with a piston swap, cam swap, valve springs, dual pass plate and tuning the rest of our stock rotating assembly and ignition system can take way over 300HP.
yeah deff. id expect anyone close to or over 300hp to have, if not all, these mods.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Boost Fr33k
yeah deff. id expect anyone close to or over 300hp to have, if not all, these mods.
Yeah. Keep in mind also that all cooling modifications you have done thus far will work well with a turbo setup so it's not a waste of money.

Edit: Don't get me wrong...I love the supercharger setup and I like roots blowers. But, for the guys wanting to safely make large amounts of horsepower something must be changed. Whether it be a larger, more high flowing roots, a twinscrew, a turbo, or headwork, something must be done. We can't just keep going with a smaller pulley and a little cooling mod on top.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:54 PM

Thing is...can the bottom end take that in the ecotec? same with the valvetrain
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 PM
p7x

True, but the power wouldn't be made as safely. This is why there are threads popping up about people blowing cylinder #4....because they are running HP levels in the high 200s without modding the bottom end or making a more efficient setup.
I agree the power could be made safer but the #4 cylinder issues is a fuel delievery problem, not a piston problem. No one knows for sure but I have not heard yet of an LSJ thats popped because pf too much boost or HP. Most to all have been fuel related in one way or another from what I have read.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 PM

it is my understanding that the bottom end is all forged... and also i have found that forged components live at high rpm's, therefore i feel as though you would have no problem with the bottom end if all is tuned properly...
Old 05-07-2007, 09:11 PM

i would say gm stage 2, headers, exhaust, and an intake would get you to 270
Old 05-07-2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by p7x
I agree the power could be made safer but the #4 cylinder issues is a fuel delievery problem, not a piston problem. No one knows for sure but I have not heard yet of an LSJ thats popped because pf too much boost or HP. Most to all have been fuel related in one way or another from what I have read.

Well....I'm not trying to correct you...and you're right it is a fuel delivery problem, but the problem occurs when alot of fuel is in demand. This happens because the roots blower setup, with it's heat it produces especially at higher boost levels, demands alot of fuel. It's not that the bottom end can't take the boost, it's that it can't take the detonation caused by either too much heat or when compensated for by making the mixture rich the fuel system cannot keep up and one of the cylinders goes lean and detonates.

Originally Posted by rickfolds
it is my understanding that the bottom end is all forged... and also i have found that forged components live at high rpm's, therefore i feel as though you would have no problem with the bottom end if all is tuned properly...

The whole bottom end is forged except for the pistons which are hypereutectic. This is the weak point; this is why earlier in the thread I said if we swapped in forged aluminum pistons our bottom end is good for well over 300hp.

Last edited by Mikey851; 05-07-2007 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 PM

wow you guys are really hammering this thread, thanks by the way theres alot of useful informationg being brought to attention of all the people on this forum looking in to getting the most out of there S/C.

so it's looking like 300hp is starting to put way to much stress on the engine/drivetrain and is not very practical for the ecotec powertrain...??

do we have any confermation of anyone hitting 300hp other then GM?

and this #4 cylinder failing is this happening alot? or just mostly from bad tuneing?

thanks guys very helpful!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:30 PM

Talking You're funny

Originally Posted by p7x
twinscrew swap in the works (taking forever)

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ight=twinscrew
And you're one of those confused individuals that thinks I don't know about this.
I know exactly how long it's taking. I'm #2 on the list to receive them IF/when they make it happen. Why do you think I posted my original question of where everybody thought they would get them from.
I'll believe it's "in the works" when I get a progress update. They don't answer emails and when I call unfortunately I don't speak fax. Check that thread, or any thread for that matter, for the last time TAG posted anything in reference to this. Then tell me it's "in the works".
Old 05-07-2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by burty12
wow you guys are really hammering this thread, thanks by the way theres alot of useful informationg being brought to attention of all the people on this forum looking in to getting the most out of there S/C.

so it's looking like 300hp is starting to put way to much stress on the engine/drivetrain and is not very practical for the ecotec powertrain...??

and this #4 cylinder failing is this happening alot? or just mostly from bad tuneing?

thanks guys very helpful!
I don't think we should put a number on how much the ecotec can handle....that's guesswork. What we do know is that you cannot make 300HP and have a safe environment for the stock pistons with our roots S/C. Hypereutectic pistons themselves can actually take that much power but not when it's combined with extreme heat and detonation. I know because I've had a V8 with Hypereutectics running 330WHP without a problem.

As far as the #4 cylinder....don't think about that too much. Instead focus on the fact that the reason it is happening is because at a certain point and certain amount of boost pressure our M62 roots blower is creating an environment that demands huge amounts of fuel that our fuel system cannot deliver reliably. This in turn leads to detonation and according to some detonation at the #4 cylinder because of it's position in the fuel rail.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 PM

And you're one of those confused individuals that thinks I don't know about this.
I know exactly how long it's taking. I'm #2 on the list to receive them IF/when they make it happen. Why do you think I posted my original question of where everybody thought they would get them from.
I'll believe it's "in the works" when I get a progress update. They don't answer emails and when I call unfortunately I don't speak fax. Check that thread, or any thread for that matter, for the last time TAG posted anything in reference to this. Then tell me it's "in the works".

BURN!!!

Last edited by SSMOKEM; 05-07-2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2007, 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=burty12;1030798]wow you guys are really hammering this thread, thanks by the way theres alot of useful informationg being brought to attention of all the people on this forum looking in to getting the most out of there S/C.

QUOTE]

basically yeah

and well there are some guys claiming 300hp but who knows. there was that 1 kid who ate an srt4 close to 300hp, 298 to be exact but yeah he blew the motor anyways. stock pistons!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:49 PM

with my 2.7 pulley cobra H/E 60lb injectors, the 75 shot and my tune i should have been over 300 whp i would think.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:03 PM

So what can be done or what do you need to do with the fule system to upgrade for this kind of HP?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:10 PM
p7x

Maybe they don't like you, #2 on the list WOW I think I might leave the forum cuz I know nothing about the twinscrew, never talked to Mel or his brother or Mike or Mase or Rys, never been to tag, never saw the S/C, was never asked to be a tester for it. Please..... i'm glad that #2 means something to you and the noobs like this guy

---->
Originally Posted by SSMOKEM
BURN!!!
good post, well thought out

Last edited by p7x; 05-08-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by p7x
With forged internals that is, and running meth all the time would really be a pain for every day driver.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by burty12
So what can be done or what do you need to do with the fule system to upgrade for this kind of HP?
Funny you say that. I have just learned on Ecotecforums that apparently we could change our fuel pump or add an inline fuel pump to increase pressure and then use properly sized injectors

Quick Reply: what would it take to hit 270whp?