2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Why aren't the SS' running high 13's 200+ whp stock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cawpin
That's all fine and dandy but it isn't correct. You CANNOT add torque without adding horsepower (at the same RPM). It is impossible. His torque was probably added below 5252 RPM so the HP increase wasn't huge but it was there. Add torque above 5252 and see what your HP does.
Exactly.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:20 PM

I think hp definatly plays a roll in good runs. My truck has enough torque to rip a house off its foundation without breaking a sweat, but seriously lacks in the hp department. My trucks fastest run (15.63 @ 85) had conciderably faster 60' and 330' times than my cobalts fastest run (14.59 @ 98), at that point the truck was moving but didn't have any hp to take it the rest of the way.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:26 PM

That's all fine and dandy but it isn't correct. You CANNOT add torque without adding horsepower (at the same RPM). It is impossible. His torque was probably added below 5252 RPM so the HP increase wasn't huge but it was there. Add torque above 5252 and see what your HP does.
The 2.5" pulley spins the blower faster (obviously). At low rpm it equates to more boost and quencidently more torque, but because its spinning so fast, at higher rpm is robs more hp so the power gain of the extra boost and parasitic drag of the blower cancel each other out resulting in little to no power gain.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:47 PM

You all walked right into this one, You helped me prove my point. You all worry about peak power, what will part a or b dyno at peak. When you are only spending less than 1 second of 13 sec run above 5800 rpm, what good will a few HP at peak make? Give me 20 HP in the 3500-5500 band and wathc it give you more bang for the buck!

My peak HP never changed much in my modding but mid range TQ AND HP increased dramatically. In other words, i added allot of useable power, not peak power.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blown 4-banger
The 2.5" pulley spins the blower faster (obviously). At low rpm it equates to more boost and quencidently more torque, but because its spinning so fast, at higher rpm is robs more hp so the power gain of the extra boost and parasitic drag of the blower cancel each other out resulting in little to no power gain.
If either one of those two would've taken the time to research Rob's results, they'd have figured that out by now. Instead they'd rather sit around and preach that they're smarter than everyone.....
Old 07-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FAST06SS
You all walked right into this one, You helped me prove my point. You all worry about peak power, what will part a or b dyno at peak. When you are only spending less than 1 second of 13 sec run above 5800 rpm, what good will a few HP at peak make? Give me 20 HP in the 3500-5500 band and wathc it give you more bang for the buck!

My peak HP never changed much in my modding but mid range TQ AND HP increased dramatically. In other words, i added allot of useable power, not peak power.
Where did I say I was only worried about peak hp????? I asked you if you made more power where you made more torque. Because you said, "that you went so and so faster with ONLY torque."

Originally Posted by bad06ss
If either one of those two would've taken the time to research Rob's results, they'd have figured that out by now. Instead they'd rather sit around and preach that they're smarter than everyone.....
Nice contribution, I am the smartest 3v3r!
Old 07-29-2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by CoBOT
Where did I say I was only worried about peak hp????? I asked you if you made more power where you made more torque. Because you said, "that you went so and so faster with ONLY torque."

Nice contribution, I am the smartest 3v3r!
Troll.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:07 PM

"This message is hidden because CoBOT is on your ignore list."
Old 07-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
"This message is hidden because CoBOT is on your ignore list."
Why is this guy allowed to go troll on other sites and drag the Cobalts through the mud?? He is obviously Rob's unwanted sidekick. That humps Rob and his car whenever he can.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:36 PM

Why is this guy allowed to go troll on other sites and drag the Cobalts through the mud?? He is obviously Rob's unwanted sidekick. That humps Rob and his car whenever he can.

Wow, mature post. Why are you allowed to be on this board then? You don't even own a cobalt, nor contribute any helpful knowledge about one.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Torque is the force that

Ok wise one, i have n't added ANY HP to my car but added almost 40lbft of TQ and i gained 5mph and .6 tenths off in the 1/4 with just TORQUE alone. I could give you many more examples but obviously you don't understand. The honda's have TQ, either when they hit thier 200hp nitrous or at 8500rpm.

Tell that to the S2000 i HALFTRACKED this past tuesday. I think he ran 14.8@92 with MORE HP than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, TQ means nothing
delivers acceleration, horsepower allows a vehicle to sustain speed.

Doc
Old 07-30-2006, 05:21 AM
Site Founder

Cool it off guys and stay on topic
Old 07-30-2006, 05:54 AM

That's an educated answer.

If you want an even better time in the 1/4 mile, try power shifting. It shaves a couple of 10ths to a half second if you do it correctly. Most people don't like to do it though.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrdoc442
delivers acceleration, horsepower allows a vehicle to sustain speed.

Doc
Torque is not the force that delivers acceleration.

Does an accelerating car follow its horsepower curve or torque curve?

Who would care about how a car's speed is sustained?? I don't get it.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:26 AM

Cobalts arent into the 13s because it wasnt made for the 1/4.
The cobalts gearing/suspension were not developed with american style drag racing in mind it was developed off the nurburgring and othe road race corses by europeans.
To bad we dont have an autobahn.
Also the car has four big fat ass 24 pound rims that hurt acceleration.
If the car were rear wheel drive with slicks and ideal gearing it would be a mid 13 second car.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:51 AM

Torque is not the force that delivers acceleration.
Yeah, it is. Its the work done. Hp is work done over time. In other words: torque measured over time.

Does an accelerating car follow its horsepower curve or torque curve?

An accelerating car follows its torque curve. Where the torque peaks is where it changes velocity at the greatest rate, which is acceleration.

Who would care about how a car's speed is sustained?? I don't get it.
Someone who was racing. Torque tells you how much power is being put down at that instant. HP tells you how well the engine can put down power over a period of time. Torque can be measured in one revolution. Its how much work is done at that moment. HP has to be measured overtime, because it is describing how much work is being done.

In very simplistic terms: Torque accelerates you to a speed, HP overcomes everything that is trying to prevent you from maintaining that speed.

Its very difficult to explain past the point that there isnt much difference between the two. If you dyno your car, and then sit in it an feel when the car is accelerating hardest, you will find that the hardest acceleration happens at the torque peak, not the HP peak.

BC
Old 07-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by A New Convert
Yeah, it is. Its the work done. Hp is work done over time. In other words: torque measured over time.

An accelerating car follows its torque curve. Where the torque peaks is where it changes velocity at the greatest rate, which is acceleration.

Someone who was racing. Torque tells you how much power is being put down at that instant. HP tells you how well the engine can put down power over a period of time. Torque can be measured in one revolution. Its how much work is done at that moment. HP has to be measured overtime, because it is describing how much work is being done.

In very simplistic terms: Torque accelerates you to a speed, HP overcomes everything that is trying to prevent you from maintaining that speed.

Its very difficult to explain past the point that there isnt much difference between the two. If you dyno your car, and then sit in it an feel when the car is accelerating hardest, you will find that the hardest acceleration happens at the torque peak, not the HP peak.

BC
http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/torque_hp.htm
Old 07-30-2006, 08:06 AM

That vmaxoutlaw dude is a "backyard mechanic", he even said so. Heres some other links to look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque
Old 07-30-2006, 08:43 AM

it doesnt even matter cause ur banned
Old 07-30-2006, 08:51 AM

it doesnt even matter cause ur banned

Oh well here's another article I found about "Torque vs. Horsepower" if anyone is interested.

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html
Old 07-30-2006, 10:51 AM

This guy has been in every Forum,, Trying to show how smart he anit & does nothing but try to argue! Have not seen 1 How to from him>>>Secound I look at threads he started>>>OOps there aren't any! So either try to get along with the rest of us or Post something usefull! Or Dont Post at all!
Old 07-30-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by BlilBT
This guy has been in every Forum,, Trying to show how smart he anit & does nothing but try to argue! Have not seen 1 How to from him>>>Secound I look at threads he started>>>OOps there aren't any! So either try to get along with the rest of us or Post something usefull! Or Dont Post at all!
Cobot has been in every forum? How can you tell, does he use the same name?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
Cobot has been in every forum? How can you tell, does he use the same name?
CoBOT = Wasey13

He uses lots of different names and needs attention.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:55 PM

Finally, somebody knows how hp is measured. when 5252 rpm is mentioned i know you know what you are talking about.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:06 PM

Torque x Rpm / 5252 = hp. That's all you need to know. That is why high revving engines such as hondas make far less peak torque then peak hp. Torque is an actual measurement...hp is more of just a number. horsepower is used because it is a better measurement to make an estimate of how quick a car is. Look at the 06 civic si for example. 197 hp at that weight seems about right to run the times it does, but 139 ft lbs....that seems impossible, but it is a very high revving little engine, so it makes bigger hp numbers with less torque.. All of you need to stop arguing a stupid point, torque and hp are important, but not peak of either. It's how much you have across all of the rpm's.

Quick Reply: Why aren't the SS' running high 13's 200+ whp stock?