2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Why aren't the SS' running high 13's 200+ whp stock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperuSmx
What??? 105mph is good enough for high 12s if you want to be technical. I am not trying to insult you and call you dumb or anything, but all the talking about trap speeds you do really doesn't make sense. I could show you several 13.6 cars that trap between 66mph and and 110mph, consistently.
If my talk doesn't make sense, then why are there others that agree, then why are the professionals looking at the same thing that I am?? You need to do some research before you start posting about things that you don't completely understand. Not that I'm trying to call you dumb or anything.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What??? 105mph is good enough for high 12s if you want to be technical. I am not trying to insult you and call you dumb or anything, but all the talking about trap speeds you do really doesn't make sense. I could show you several 13.6 cars that trap between 66mph and and 110mph, consistently.
troll show me a car that traps 66mph in the 1/4 ... thats not possible sorry
Old 09-13-2007, 02:14 AM

I would like to point out that the point you should shift at is derived from your gearing + torque curve.

You should shift to the next gear when one of these happens:

A) When the final drive torque will be higher in the new gear then it is in the current gear. That is, when (Torque @ current RPM) * Final Drive Ratio * Current Gear Ratio is less than what you would have from (Torque @ RPM after shift) * Final Drive Ratio * Next Gear Ratio

B) Assuming A hasn't happen yet, you hit your engine redline

The SS/SC, with or without Stage 2, pretty much never falls under A. Meaning that if you shift before redline, you are loosing the advantage of gearing and making less Actual Wheel Torque. Less Actual Wheel Torque equils less acceleration.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:26 AM

If you changed everything around and used horsepower it would a lot simpler.

http://bsr.njsr.org/2003/022303/2.wmv

I need to find his other vids he ran 13.6s at 66mph consistantly, obviously you see have no idea what you are talking about.

Hmmm, I linked several people to your posts a few with 8 second cars and even they said you make no sense, one is a member on here. They also said you should stop being dumb, not my words.
Torque is what gets you off the line, so why would he change the equations?

As far as your 8 second friends, it's funny that you linked them and one is even on this site but no one has posted to back you, and yet I have had people already support my comments. There is a vendor on here that owns a speed shop out my way, that will FULLY agree with my statements as well as many others that are actually supposed to be on this site and not trolling and causing trouble.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:52 AM

So people on a Cobalt site where the fastest ss/sc has ran high 12s have more knowledge than people that have ran 8s. Please show me someone that isn't a ******* lemming or drives a slow ass car agrees that "trap speed is all you need to know to see what a car is capable of."

And your torque comment is just rediculous.
generally speaking a trap is a good indicator of what kind of power the car is making and what it is capacble of. Things can change a trap like da elevation temps and 60fts
Old 09-13-2007, 03:16 AM

DA affects power and can affect 60's. 60's have a huge effect on traps. Gearing(which includes tire size) and tuning can affect traps.

Generally most people don't care about trap speeds unless something is wrong or they need a chute and caged installed because of them. To say, "cars that run mid 13s at 108mph with 2.4 60's" are capable of mid-12s is just rediculous. They are capable of mid 13s because they can't hook for ****. Even if you get down to 2.0 60's, which a lot of you guys seem to think is good that car is still not running mid-12s.
What you just said negates your previous comments though. That remark alone means that you agree that a car that hits mid 13's and is trapping at 108mph IS capable of 12's with traction. Which is what I was saying. CAPABLE of 12's....The problem at hand is that alot of these youngsters don't understand that you need to do proper mods to get where you need to be to handle the power these cars are capable of. Such as traction mods, cooling mods, ect.

Originally Posted by -Jayson-
ever notice how fast are traps our compared to other cars? Astock car should trap 98-100MPH and stage 2 is good for 102-104MPH. SRT4s are running mid to low 13s with those trap speeds. Trap is the real indicator of how much HP a car has at the track, ET tells you how good of a driver you are.
Here it is...This right here says it all. The good driver comment I can also agree with because a good lot of the Cobalt owner crowd are young and this is their first vehicle.

Last edited by 1gmfanatik; 09-13-2007 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-13-2007, 03:22 AM
Banned

ive got mid 13's and my trap speed is good for high 12's,but traction is a bitch on the cobalt,so u loose time when u gotta play wit the throttle to balance it out
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 AM

I will agree with this comment xELEVENTYBILLION!

and for the rest of your post, yeah if you mod any car enough it can run anytime. You still make no sense. In order to turn a mid-high 13 second pass @ 107-108 into a mid-12 second pass the car has to cut a low low 1.8 at the very least and hope the tires they used to get their didn't **** up their gearing to bad on the big end especially on a FWD car.

Maybe I am completely misunderstanding you. But it sounds like you are saying, "yeah if you mod a car it can run a better time". Am I wrong?
I think we are getting closer to maybe agreeing on something. lol...

I do believe that if you mod your car, it should run a better time, but that's not what I was getting at. What I was trying to say is...With the trap speeds that our cars are hitting, with appropriate traction mods, they are more then capable of at least a high 12 second quarter mile pass. That is, hitting mid 13's and trapping at 108mph. The trap speed is what we need to pay attention to, for us to realize that traction issues is what we need to work on to get better times.

It's not that our cars are strictly slow ass 13 second cars, they aren't, they just have horrible traction because of being wrong wheel drive. (FWD) Not to mention, bang for your buck, this is a pretty quick car, and 13's are not that slow.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 AM
Banned

No, your car without more mods or better driver is capable of mid-13s.

You have enough power to run 12s, is what you and 1GM should be saying. Which might not even be true if are just a crappy driver, not saying you are.
i dont understand..explain?my car does have the power to break high 12's,but wats preventing it from doin it is traction and 60'..if i can get my 60' to be 1.8-2.0 with a 107mph trap i should be lookin at high 12's
Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 AM

No, your car without more mods or better driver is capable of mid-13s.

You have enough power to run 12s, is what you and 1GM should be saying. Which might not even be true if are just a crappy driver, not saying you are.
He's not capable of mid 13's, he ran a mid 13 with that trap. He is one of the guys that I was pertaining to. Yes, with more traction mods, and those traps his car has the power to hit high 12's.

Originally Posted by Super_SS
i dont understand..explain?my car does have the power to break high 12's,but wats preventing it from doin it is traction and 60'..if i can get my 60' to be 1.8-2.0 with a 107mph trap i should be lookin at high 12's
Agreed...

Last edited by 1gmfanatik; 09-13-2007 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
He's not capable of mid 13's, he ran a mid 13 with that trap. He is one of the guys that I was pertaining to. Yes, with more traction mods, and those traps his car has the power to hit high 12's.

Agreed...
atleast someone is on my side..my own brother wont admit i can break 12's with the slow balt...but clutch is in the mail and drag radials are next...and let the race to 12's begin early next year
Old 09-13-2007, 03:38 AM

atleast someone is on my side..my own brother wont admit i can break 12's with the slow balt...but clutch is in the mail and drag radials are next...and let the race to 12's begin early next year
You go with your bad self. I'm glad someone agrees with me.

I haven't taken mine to the track for fear of breaking the stock axles, but I may go anyways and see what happens, especially since it's been cooling down lately.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:51 AM

So people on a Cobalt site where the fastest ss/sc has ran high 12s have more knowledge than people that have ran 8s. Please show me someone that isn't a ******* lemming or drives a slow ass car agrees that "trap speed is all you need to know to see what a car is capable of."

And your torque comment is just rediculous.
The people that have run 8's just have more money spent into their cars. Period. It has nothing to do with car or physics knowledge. For all we know, they took the car to a shop and said, "I wanna run 8's", and paid 100K for it.

"A good torque spot"???
He meant that when you shift, you want your rpms to drop to a place in the power band where you have near peak torque.

"try getting to HP without ft/lbs" ummm rev higher or downshift.
He meant to say, try to build an engine that has torqe, but no horsepower.
But the same goes for trying to build an engine that has horsepower but no torque.

Can't be done. HP and Torque are both important.

When I go the track I look at ET, then 60', then trap. We both agree that if people are going to the track and pulling off 2.3+60's they need more mods or more practice.
Honestly, I look at ET last. ET is important to most people just so they can go back to work and say, "Told you my 4banger can run 12's"

60' is most important to me, followed by the comparison between 1/8th mile mph and ET and 1/4 mile mph and ET of two different runs. Heat is one of the biggest factors for my car to overcome here in AZ. So I am looking at what did I do that had the fastest 60', and the least amount of heat soak.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:51 AM
Banned

My gramma's minivan with more mods is capable of high 12s.

I could argue your point of view in the same matter and say our cars that run 13.6 with 2.3+60's, if they had the appropriate traction mods they would be capable of high 12s. I am not saying you are wrong, I am just trying to tell you that when you say, "just look at trap speed" it doesn't make much sense because like I just said a person could say, "just look at 60' foot times". When I go the track I look at ET, then 60', then trap. We both agree that if people are going to the track and pulling off 2.3+60's they need more mods or more practice.

Is your car right now capable of cutting 1.8-2.0 60 foots??
no it isnt since it has the more power than the tires could handle,so it sents them into spin mode and i have to let of the gas to stop them from spinning and regain traction
Old 09-13-2007, 04:01 AM

no it isnt since it has the more power than the tires could handle,so it sents them into spin mode and i have to let of the gas to stop them from spinning and regain traction
He's a troll, and I don't think he's happy unless he's arguing with someone. That seems to be his goal. Let's go onto a Cobalt forum where i have no need to be and argue about **** that I really don't know anything about to try and get everyones panties in a bunch YAY!!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:08 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

He's a troll, and I don't think he's happy unless he's arguing with someone. That seems to be his goal. Let's go onto a Cobalt forum where i have no need to be and argue about **** that I really don't know anything about to try and get everyones panties in a bunch YAY!!
QFT!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:10 AM

Old 09-13-2007, 04:11 AM
syP

all i know is with my trap on the cobalt.. i would have been running mis 12s on my old grand prix.

i was running 13.6's at 102mph in my grand prix with a 2.0 60'

i think the lowest trap i have seen with the best time was a 12.0 at 105mph on a grand prix... (AWD???) just a nice slick
Old 09-13-2007, 09:03 AM

DA affects power and can affect 60's. 60's have a huge effect on traps. Gearing(which includes tire size) and tuning can affect traps.

Generally most people don't care about trap speeds unless something is wrong or they need a chute and caged installed because of them. To say, "cars that run mid 13s at 108mph with 2.4 60's" are capable of mid-12s is just rediculous. They are capable of mid 13s because they can't hook for ****. Even if you get down to 2.0 60's, which a lot of you guys seem to think is good that car is still not running mid-12s.
at the same time when you spin to much it hurts your trap to a point
Old 09-13-2007, 09:14 AM

If you changed everything around and used horsepower it would a lot simpler.

http://bsr.njsr.org/2003/022303/2.wmv

I need to find his other vids he ran 13.6s at 66mph consistantly, obviously you see have no idea what you are talking about.

Hmmm, I linked several people to your posts a few with 8 second cars and even they said you make no sense, one is a member on here. They also said you should stop being dumb, not my words.
ok, i don't mean to be an ass, but look at it like this - at 60 mph, you are going one mile a minute. meaning a 1/4 mile every 15 seconds. meaning that if you are trapping at 66, you spend more time UNDER 60 than you do over, thereby making your 1/4 mile time over 15 seconds. sorry son, that's physics

unless you're hitting 120 then braking before you hit the 1/4

Last edited by Blk06SSTexMan; 09-13-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:00 PM

i'm gonna g o with the board in that video is broken and he ran an 88 1/4 because like blk06sstexman said... it's math/ physics it's not possible ... less it's a 1/8 mile at 66 MPH and 13.6 that i will believe .. however the troll is banned.. finally... thanks mods for getting around to my request
Old 09-14-2007, 06:35 AM

That may be thanks to me.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 AM

So is there any SS S/C' that have broken into the 12's yet? What about atleast a low 13?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:40 AM

Yes, there has been a few in the 12's. There should be many many more, but traction and pockets deep enough to fix that seem to be the largest problem, that and alot of younger less experienced drivers.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Banned

Yes, there has been a few in the 12's. There should be many many more, but traction and pockets deep enough to fix that seem to be the largest problem, that and alot of younger less experienced drivers.
Age has nothing to do with it. (I am saying that and I am 39,,, so flame me now...LOL) I have yet to see someone run with upsized tires to solve traction problems I dont understand that one. everyone here is about more power. start thinking setup, supension, tires, pressures, weight transfer. the ones in 12's have slick's. I am not suggesting slicks but a great rubber compound with more girth. different lighter rims would help too.

My tires will be new come spring. research is on.

Quick Reply: Why aren't the SS' running high 13's 200+ whp stock?