2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Why Not Stage 2 Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bogout
Ive had alot of thoughts on this.Ive been wondering why some dealers havent pulled in a SSSC and did the stage 1 or 2 as a dealer installed option myself.Then put the car back on the lot for sale.Yenko and a few other dealers use to do that type stuff years ago on vegas and others motion was another dealer that use to toss on the goodies back in the early 70s before epa put a stop to the fun.I kinda figured insurance would be the #1 reason for the buyer.Buying a modfied factory flyer straight from the dealer.I really dont think anyone with a stage 2 has much to worry about other than drivetrain issues.Clutches and what not.Take this as a rumor or what every but a friend told me the folks that test these blocks and engine parts have put them through some crazy ass stress test for hours on end.That makes me feel good the weekend rodder.But really the bottom line would be the insurance. And most of all the bottom line as in sales they make more off of the buyer haveing you comeback in to buy the new goodies for your car to be installed or taken home and installed. More ways for the dealer to make money and for GM.

I KNOW ALOT OF DEALERS AROUND MY AREA HAVE A G85 PACKAGE. ONE I WAS ACTUALLY GOING TO BUY BUT GOT SOLD BEFORE I GOT TO THE DEALERSHIP LAST NIGHT HAD IT. HONESTLY I DON'T KNOW WHAT ALL IS INVOLVED IN THE KITS. BUT I KNOW IT JACKED THAT PRICE OF IT.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:58 AM

Ew for caps
Old 06-03-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by DJMKAFKA
I KNOW ALOT OF DEALERS AROUND MY AREA HAVE A G85 PACKAGE. ONE I WAS ACTUALLY GOING TO BUY BUT GOT SOLD BEFORE I GOT TO THE DEALERSHIP LAST NIGHT HAD IT. HONESTLY I DON'T KNOW WHAT ALL IS INVOLVED IN THE KITS. BUT I KNOW IT JACKED THAT PRICE OF IT.
The G85 Performance package has nothing to do with the Stage Kits. It includes the Limited Slip and the Recaro seats.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ReMz
what would be the next step? .... nitrous? plus, only the true enthusiasts are purchasing these stage kits, and the average consumer may not be pleased with driveability of a stage 2 ss/sc.
IMO the driveability of the GM Stage 2 SS/SC is smooth as butter. it even ironed out some of the hesitation/bogging issues that I had with the stock.

Originally Posted by CobaltSupercharged
They are trying to lower the prices of cars and increase the MPG for sales. For those that want the power and don's care about the MPG, they offer the Stage Kits.
In my experience, my MPG has gone UP on average per tank thanks to Stage 2. And believe me, I drive it just as hard if not harder now. Also, shortshifting at ~2-2.5K rpm in the city to save gas is easier with Stage 2 given the increase in torque.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:16 PM

Like i said, GM already thought of this, and tested to see of S2 could be made production. The S2 engine couldnt complete the production car engine longevity test, although it came close.

So if they wanted it to work, they would have to upgrade the pistons on the LSJ which is a cost/manufacturing factor and i guess they decided to just leave things the way they are.

S2 stock would be great, too bad the pistons are such a weak spot.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mekanic
Yeah, but then the old stage 2 would be stock and the new stage 2 would actually be stage 4, but you couldn't call it stage 4 cause stage 2 would be stock and the world would explode.
LOL
Old 06-03-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zenkat
Like i said, GM already thought of this, and tested to see of S2 could be made production. The S2 engine couldnt complete the production car engine longevity test, although it came close.

So if they wanted it to work, they would have to upgrade the pistons on the LSJ which is a cost/manufacturing factor and i guess they decided to just leave things the way they are.

Yeah some hyper eutectic pistons would be nice.

Originally Posted by HighPSI_LowCC_Speed
In my experience, my MPG has gone UP on average per tank thanks to Stage 2. And believe me, I drive it just as hard if not harder now. Also, shortshifting at ~2-2.5K rpm in the city to save gas is easier with Stage 2 given the increase in torque.
That makes me want to buy it so much more now, but I have to use my money for something else right now damn it.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

our pistons might not be forged but remember, soon as a certain temperature is reached the jets squirt oil on those bad boys! Trust me when I tell you that these pistons can take more than 300whp. Hell, theres twincharged systems out there on stock internals!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Domestics Pwn

Why make stg2 stock when they can sell it to you as a kit and make you spend more money later ?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As the song says...

"MONEY MONEY MONEY MONNNNEEEYYYY!"

GM wants your presidents that are in your pocket. Giving you a wider range of how much power you can have gives them a wider audience of people who might want a certain amount of power or who want to spend a certain amount of money...regardless...MORE MONEY! CHA-CHING!

lol
Old 06-05-2006, 03:10 AM

disagree if you please... but i really find this to be a self-explanatory question

..... plus, the cobalt ss/sc is meant to compete with tuner cars. ex: the SRT-4 has staged kits.... why not gm?
plus, they make a profit from stage kits

Last edited by ReMz; 06-05-2006 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:42 AM

Warranty and all that comes into play, but one of the big factors that everyone is ignoring is it actually costs GM more money if the car is above a certain number hp wise, I'm not sure what that number is, but it's a big reason why Dodge, GM and VW offer stage upgrades for the cars rather then just include the HP stock. By doing this they pay less tax, and allow people to purchase factory upgrades, showing that these cars do indeed have good moding potential.

The situation is pretty much win win for GM.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:02 AM

Insurance and car class issues.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by BLKSS
Insurance and car class issues.
Doubtful. I dont believe the Caliber SRT is going to be ridiculous to class and insure. But we havent crossed that road yet, so it's all speculation.

I'm sure GM wanted S2 as stock to compete with the upcoming cars like the Caliber, which out-do it heavily on stock for stock power.

I'm probably just being optimistic, but i have a feeling the Caliber is going to be putting down 290whp stock.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 AM

Doubtful. I dont believe the Caliber SRT is going to be ridiculous to class and insure. But we havent crossed that road yet, so it's all speculation.

I'm sure GM wanted S2 as stock to compete with the upcoming cars like the Caliber, out-do it heavily with stock for stock power.

I'm probably just being optimistic, but i have a feeling the Caliber is going to be putting down 290whp stock.
I'll be very surprised if insurance companies don't cash in on the 300hp rating of that car, nothing gets by the insurance companies these days.

As for the Caliber's hp numbers, I'm not going to bother speculating, 290 doesn't seem far fetched. It's still ugly as sin though . There's not much point in going fast if you look like a retard doing it, I'm all for lots of go...but there's gotta be some show there too.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:08 AM

GM could of damn well made this the stock car..... what they decided to do instead was make an extra few $$$ and make as an aftermarket kit.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:07 PM

I noticed how gm is willing to raise the rev limiter to 7k and keep it under warentee. I think the original plan was to have like 240 something hp stock with a 7k rev limiter, but instead decided to de-tune it and make you pay to get the car back to the original "stock" specs.
Greedy Bastards!
Old 06-05-2006, 05:43 PM

Gas mileage. Each company has to reach a certain (i think its 28.6) mpg average amoung its fleet.

Also emissions reasons. It was one of the biggest reasons the stage kits took so long to come out. Making it passed in all 50 states.

It raises the intirior noise level also. That is something people look at when buying cars.

Thats just three off the top of my head. Besides "Money"
Old 06-05-2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spoony
I'll be very surprised if insurance companies don't cash in on the 300hp rating of that car, nothing gets by the insurance companies these days.

As for the Caliber's hp numbers, I'm not going to bother speculating, 290 doesn't seem far fetched. It's still ugly as sin though . There's not much point in going fast if you look like a retard doing it, I'm all for lots of go...but there's gotta be some show there too.
I dont disagree. That Caliber needs some work before I'd be content driving it around. Did anyone see the Caliber SRT in the basement of the Detroit Autoshow this year? That thing had all the right body mods on it. Dropped, CF parts, nice wheels and tires. If i was going for a Caliber SRT, i would totally try to mimic that one. (Wish i'd had my camera there)

-edit-
found a link to it. now that i see it again, there's things i'd do differently, but it's totally better than a base caliber.
http://home.comcast.net/~daica/4444a.jpg
Old 06-05-2006, 10:37 PM

Stage 2 power may be what the next Cobalt 2.0 gets stock.