2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

ZZP downpipe problem - wideband bung plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZZP downpipe problem - wideband bung plug

So apparently the plugs to fill the hole for the wideband bung I had welded in is some mystical size and are impossible to find. Needless to say when I was driving home after installing my midlength header/downpipe combo the plug I bought extra came out, and now there's a hole in my downpipe. I've been driving around all damn day trying to find a plug, bolt, hell even an old 02... and nothing. I'm getting frustrated all to hell because it basically sounds like straight **** right now.

Does anyone know the size of the plug to fill the 02? One exhaust shop suggested it was the size of a spark plug maybe... 14mm 1.25 threading?

This is ridiculous I have to go to retarded lengths just for something so simple. The reality is that I called ZZP and not a single tech there apparently knew, and the chick I spoke with was almost jovial about it. I mean seriously, they order the damn part, how can the company that supplies it not know the metric size. Add on to that the fact their lines are constantly busy, It took them three weeks to ship it (after I emailed a reminder), and it was poorly packed and the 02 extension they shipped was broken, plus the header scuffed... they can definately not expect any more of my business.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:44 PM

...Just put some JB weld in it...or hell...a big wad of gum!!!!!! ......oh ****, i forgot we arent talking about a honda! Nevermind
Old 02-08-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's an 18MM like 1/4" long plug, some bigger auto store will have it however not like auto zone.. or a tool place should have it.. they wer elike 7 bux plus tax where i bought them which kinda sucked cuz they're on ebay for like 2 lol
Old 02-08-2008, 03:51 PM

I was going to JB weld it, but then that completely defeats the purpose of having the bung welded there in the first place. Plus, I don't have an extension since the one they sent was broken during shipping so the rear 02 is currently before the cat, and I had the one afterwards plugged.

18mm... do you know the thread pitch? It's pretty fine I think, maybe 1.5 or 1.25?

Last edited by BigEMU1; 02-08-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by BigEMU1
I was going to JB weld it, but then that completely defeats the purpose of having the bung welded there in the first place. Plus, I don't have an extension since the one they sent was broken during shipping so the rear 02 is currently before the cat, and I had the one afterwards plugged.

18mm... do you know the thread pitch? It's pretty fine I think, maybe 1.5 or 1.25?
hmm i have the o2 extension, as my rear o2 sensor was stripped so i just plugged it till i could get my car tuned and turn it off pm me if you want

i don't know the thread pitch off the top of my head

1.5 comes to mind though.. do a google search.. i found out from a honda forum.. go figure lol

search for o2 bung plug or bosch style o2 plug

Last edited by elecblue06; 02-08-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
use a spark plug.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:58 PM

Gah, I've been looking. Still can't find it. That's why I'm here, lol.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:03 PM

I had the same problem & ended up using an old 02 sensor we found at the shop i was getting it installed at. I had to order some gaskets from ZZP so i ordered a bung for it too, which i received yesterday. I'm going to install it tomorrow. just an FYI, i was told a spark plug would fit also but it doesn't unless there are didn't sized spark plugs?

thx
-Brad
Old 02-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by ProJecTX
I had the same problem & ended up using an old 02 sensor we found at the shop i was getting it installed at. I had to order some gaskets from ZZP so i ordered a bung for it too, which i received yesterday. I'm going to install it tomorrow. just an FYI, i was told a spark plug would fit also but it doesn't unless there are didn't sized spark plugs?

thx
-Brad
there are, but the time i did it, it just screwed in nice.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:05 PM

So apparently the plugs to fill the hole for the wideband bung I had welded in is some mystical size and are impossible to find. Needless to say when I was driving home after installing my midlength header/downpipe combo the plug I bought extra came out, and now there's a hole in my downpipe. I've been driving around all damn day trying to find a plug, bolt, hell even an old 02... and nothing. I'm getting frustrated all to hell because it basically sounds like straight **** right now.

Does anyone know the size of the plug to fill the 02? One exhaust shop suggested it was the size of a spark plug maybe... 14mm 1.25 threading?

This is ridiculous I have to go to retarded lengths just for something so simple. The reality is that I called ZZP and not a single tech there apparently knew, and the chick I spoke with was almost jovial about it. I mean seriously, they order the damn part, how can the company that supplies it not know the metric size. Add on to that the fact their lines are constantly busy, It took them three weeks to ship it (after I emailed a reminder), and it was poorly packed and the 02 extension they shipped was broken, plus the header scuffed... they can definately not expect any more of my business.
i could go on and on about zzp at first they were awesome and fast... but know i couldent have more bad stuff to say/ although they do always make it right...but yeah a spark plug will work or go to a home depot or something i think its pipe thread you may have found the right thread but it felt wrong cuz the heat from welding it in distorted it if they didnt weld it in with like a dead o2 or something so it wont distort
Old 02-08-2008, 06:11 PM

Well according to what's on ebay for a Harley exhaust, it's 18 x 1.5mm. Should be universal. So I guess I just need to find a 1/4" bolt to plug it up. So much trouble for a bolt that should have been fine from the get go. I even put lock tight on that bastard. Luckily I already knew the bolts they shipped for the header to downpipe section were garbage so I bought new ones ahead of time.

Haha, still can't find one. Apparently the automotive standard is 2.5 pitch. Lengths not an issue... brothers a machinest so he can just cut it down to size. Look's like I'm dead in the water until I order from ebay.

Last edited by BigEMU1; 02-08-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 PM

why dont you just buy a wideband lol
Old 02-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
just stick a sparkplug in it man, at least that'lll hold til you get another plug
Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by INFE
why dont you just buy a wideband lol
VERY GOOD POINT... I KNOW MONEY MAYBE AN ISSUE BUT JUST PUT A SPARK PLUG IN THERE STOP WASTING YOUR MONEY ON GAS DRIVING AROUND LOOKING FOR A PLUG
Old 02-09-2008, 12:38 AM

well if it's already installed you can't fit a spark plug in to the rear o2

the heat shield is too close to the hole to fit anything in there more then like 1" long
Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 AM

The heat shield bolted to the manifold and the other worthless one... I just removed it. I ordered a stainless 02 bung plug off ebay, and later this evening when I get off work, I'm going to thread in an 02 sensor off my buddy's turbo as a quick fix until it gets here. Sometime inbetween I'm going to stop at Ace Hardware and pick up a crapload of M18 x 1.5 bolts and have them machined down to 1/4". That way I'll have a mess on hand in case anyone locally ever needs one. Since they're hard as hell to get ahold of for no apparent reason, maybe I can start a racket.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
well if it's already installed you can't fit a spark plug in to the rear o2

the heat shield is too close to the hole to fit anything in there more then like 1" long
break the ceramic off.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Supporting Vendor

I apologize for the issues experienced but we normally expect someone ordering a downpipe with an extra bung hole for wideband to either have a wideband or order a plug from us for a few bucks.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i bought a couple plugs from em when i ordered my downpipe...lucky me, cause i forgot to tq one down, so i just jacked up the car at school, put it in, and tqed it down this time (hard finding a tool tho...like a 1" wrench)
Old 02-12-2008, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Zooomer
I apologize for the issues experienced but we normally expect someone ordering a downpipe with an extra bung hole for wideband to either have a wideband or order a plug from us for a few bucks.
That would seem logical enough, hence I ordered your plug... which came out rather easily after being airtooled and then torqued like a madman. No regrets, I found sucess with one of my buddies EBAY bung plugs. Haven't had a problem since. Maybe he's got an 02 extension lying around to replace the broken one you sent me.

I'm sorry ZZP. You guys make an excellent header. I haven't had a single problem with fitment, noise, performance; the welds are fantastic. But it's blatently obvious where you guys decided to cut the corners. Shipping (my damaged 02 and header that was happily banging around against the DP during delivery) and in the misc. parts that come with the system (i.e. nuts, bolts). I'll let your customer service speak for itself. You guys plan on doing anything about these known (and previously addressed) problems?