2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

ZZP S3 finished.....idle probs no power HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZZP S3 finished.....idle probs no power HELP

Hey guys, i just finished the install of ZZP 2.8, 60's, S3 H/E, Dual pass, 3" DP, and zzp tune. It started up just fine and idled ok (up and down bout 100rpm) but when it got warm and i gave it some throttle (up to 4k) it fell on its face. very rough idle and it doesnt want to go up in rpms unless i feather it to get it up there and when i let off and try to feather up again, nothing but blower whine. I took it around the block (after letting it cool) ran fine from idle to 3k and then i gave it some foot in 1st gear and it misses and falls when i hit 4k. I am thinking vaccum leak but not sure. I cleaned the throttle body when i had it off. What things should i check? Thanks guys
Old 01-06-2012, 06:32 PM

it seems like there is a kinda baffling sound at idle when its running rough. its also throwing a P0507 code which is from what i hear usually causes high idle, but when mine is running rough its around 900rpm down to 600. Please jump in guys.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
P0507 Idle Speed High -PCM code is thrown because it is idling to high the reason is when the tp gets dirty the tp compensates for it by openening the the throttle blade to allow more air to come in so it will idle so when you clean it the openeiong cant close back down because our cars do not have a idle learn down in the pcm it has to go to the dealer and get hooked to a tech2 to solve the problem

as for the rest of your problems it could be a vaccum leak
Old 01-06-2012, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
P0507 Idle Speed High -PCM code is thrown because it is idling to high the reason is when the tp gets dirty the tp compensates for it by openening the the throttle blade to allow more air to come in so it will idle so when you clean it the openeiong cant close back down because our cars do not have a idle learn down in the pcm it has to go to the dealer and get hooked to a tech2 to solve the problem

as for the rest of your problems it could be a vaccum leak
and from what ive found, to check for vaccum leak just spray starter fluid on the hose connections and see if the idle revs up? but where are the most common areas for these leaks when these mods are done? as for the code, ive heard the stealership cant do anything because the pcm is locked? is that true? can i disconnect the batt and reset the code to see if it comes back?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like both of you have the same problem......I would guess scaled for a larger throttle body.

link --> https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...r-help-268600/

Last edited by shadowfaxss; 01-07-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by I8URVET
and from what ive found, to check for vaccum leak just spray starter fluid on the hose connections and see if the idle revs up? but where are the most common areas for these leaks when these mods are done? as for the code, ive heard the stealership cant do anything because the pcm is locked? is that true? can i disconnect the batt and reset the code to see if it comes back?
do a boost leak check you can reset it all you want but if the high idle is because of the new learned blade postion then the dealer has to do a learn down with a tech2
Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
do a boost leak check you can reset it all you want but if the high idle is because of the new learned blade postion then the dealer has to do a learn down with a tech2
ok i get that dealer biz but if its a high idle code thrown why is my idle low and baffled?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

it threw the code because it was to high after you cleaned the tp now it dosent know hwat to do call zzp they may have a quck fix
Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
step 1 check u did the install right and all connections are made properly, including the tb connector.
step 2 email zzp.
step 3 correct errors.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
step 1 check u did the install right and all connections are made properly, including the tb connector.
step 2 email zzp.
step 3 correct errors.
checked everything again-looks good. topped off the filler neck again and sterted it up, no issues-idle for 20 min no prob, revved it up to 4-4.5rpm fine. check engine light went away. cant drive it yet cause the snow came in. strange tho
Old 01-08-2012, 03:20 AM

I have had i similar problem with my stage 2 i got my first problem was that the pcm didn't have a crank learn on it so i had to take it to a dealership and they did the crank learn. Then the mpg went way down ideal was horrible it would die at some stops took it in to have a complete scan of the car after making sure everything was installed right and that all the vacuum lines were tight and that the throttle was cleaned. i took it in and the readings come back as the fuel trims were way off, +19% at ideal and cruising. i sent the pcm back to zzp and they sent it back with some updates in the tune and it runs even worse i am at a lost on what to do and i don't have the 550 to take it down to get it dino tunned.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 AM

i sure hope mine straightens out, i thought this was gonna be an easy stage upgrade. ive done a lot of mods on a lot of cars and have had more problems with this one in two days than 6 cars combined. so what stage 2 parts did you do? duall pass? H/E?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:08 PM

i sure hope mine straightens out, i thought this was gonna be an easy stage upgrade. ive done a lot of mods on a lot of cars and have had more problems with this one in two days than 6 cars combined. so what stage 2 parts did you do? duall pass? H/E?
I did the stage 2 with 50# and 2.8 pulley, s3 heat ex changer custom flow-master 3" exhaust, and aem dry flow intake. zzp so farhas said that it is either the computer or i got sent the wrong injectors. Either way i cant drive my baby and its already been 3 weeks
Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 PM

Well i just took mine for a test drive, it idles and runs fine until i put it under load at 4k and about 15lbs boost- huge cloud of white smoke and stutters like its hitting the rev limiter. and thats in any gear. i tried it sitting still rev to 5k no smoke no stutter. Everytime i try it same thing white smoke and stutter. Laser read my temps, blower at 105, intake at 50, engine around 170. everything seems fine except those issues and the power before the stutter doesnt seem there. No check engine light either. Im gonna email steve at ZZP and see what he thinks. Who are you talking to over there so they can relate our cars and put together answers?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 AM

Well i just took mine for a test drive, it idles and runs fine until i put it under load at 4k and about 15lbs boost- huge cloud of white smoke and stutters like its hitting the rev limiter. and thats in any gear. i tried it sitting still rev to 5k no smoke no stutter. Everytime i try it same thing white smoke and stutter. Laser read my temps, blower at 105, intake at 50, engine around 170. everything seems fine except those issues and the power before the stutter doesnt seem there. No check engine light either. Im gonna email steve at ZZP and see what he thinks. Who are you talking to over there so they can relate our cars and put together answers?
ya mine kinda did the same until i had the crank learn cause the timing was off at anything over 4000 rpm but i'm not sure. yeah all my temps were fine as well. I have been talking to turbo Tim and i have to call him tomorrow on my break at work so ill post anything that he tells me. in a way i kinda wish i had the 550 to dino tune cause it would have a descent amount of more power than just the flash tune but i really just want it running again so i can show all these Honda's up in town lol.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subd to see the outcome of this. I was thinking of getting ZZP PCM just to have a base tune to upgrade to a smaller pulley and larger injectors, but not so sure now. You'd think with as many of the stage kits as they have probably sold, they'd have a relatively good and reliable base tune down
Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by phelangcell
ya mine kinda did the same until i had the crank learn cause the timing was off at anything over 4000 rpm but i'm not sure. yeah all my temps were fine as well. I have been talking to turbo Tim and i have to call him tomorrow on my break at work so ill post anything that he tells me. in a way i kinda wish i had the 550 to dino tune cause it would have a descent amount of more power than just the flash tune but i really just want it running again so i can show all these Honda's up in town lol.
Cant wait to see some thoughts from turbo tim, or a return email from zzp. they are not the fastest to return messages or calls. **** i would pay the 550 if there were such a tune shop around here.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 AM

What kind of tune software can i buy to have my dyno shop do a custom tune? he has done other cars but not any ss/sc.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
get rid of that canned tune and get a tune from Mdub.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by leemanfor
get rid of that canned tune and get a tune from Mdub.
and how would i go about doin that? ship pcm to them?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by phelangcell
crank learn? tell me more?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 AM

ive read the LNF guys having the white smoke problem but not the power cut at 4k, i guess the LNF is not meant to handle over 300whp and they are blowing head gaskets but i dont think this is the same prob. not to mention i doubt im suppost to make 300whp.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Just to keep an update going on this thread, i talked to my fellow machine shop mechanic and he says it sounds like sparg plug blow out which is caused from too big of gap on the plugs. He says gap them down to 28. what is everyone else running the gaps at on NGK irridium?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Just to keep an update going on this thread, i talked to my fellow machine shop mechanic and he says it sounds like sparg plug blow out which is caused from too big of gap on the plugs. He says gap them down to 28. what is everyone else running the gaps at on NGK irridium?
Too small....

Try anywhere between 0.032"-0.035".

What do you have them gapped at right now?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Where are the Standard NGK's Step One Colder Plugs Gapped at from the Box?

Quick Reply: ZZP S3 finished.....idle probs no power HELP