2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

ZZP S3 finished.....idle probs no power HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe i am off in left field but just replace the maf.... i tried to clean my maf once and it still stumbled.... then once i replaced it was 100% fine.... just saying it could be something very simple and overlooked coz you cleaned it.... so you believe its fine... however if the maf is pooched then all the cleaning in the world wont help....
Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by jrmotosports 88
maybe i am off in left field but just replace the maf.... i tried to clean my maf once and it still stumbled.... then once i replaced it was 100% fine.... just saying it could be something very simple and overlooked coz you cleaned it.... so you believe its fine... however if the maf is pooched then all the cleaning in the world wont help....
I would agree with you if the car was acting up before the ZZP kit install.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Yes, they are.

60's are actually too large of an injector for the LSJ.

You have to really play with them to get a nice smooth idle.
thanks

to op: you said you have 60's and even zzp says they can cause idle problems.

Like I said not saying it is the cure for all your problems, but maybe the fluttering with your idle.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:01 PM

I would agree with you if the car was acting up before the ZZP kit install.
it could be a coincidence, mine went unexpectedly, with no warning....
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 PM

So turbo tim says the altitude is not a concern, there are perameters for the PCM to adjust itself. He thinks its my ebay intake? anyone comment on the intake? ive had it on the car for 6 months and no issues.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by I8URVET
So turbo tim says the altitude is not a concern, there are perameters for the PCM to adjust itself. He thinks its my ebay intake? anyone comment on the intake? ive had it on the car for 6 months and no issues.
it shouldn't be the intake cause i have a aem intake and im having the same problems as you and turbo tim seemed to just tell me he is not sure what is going on with my car its kinda but ill have to try and clean the maf cause the throttle body is shiny and clean spark plugs are gapped at .325 but they show that the car is running rich but the ideals said it need more fuel, kinda wondering if i got sent the wrong injectors.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

They always end up blaming the intakes.....

It's a canned tune with 60's. I can guarantee it is due to the injectors.

Their canned tune with 60's has always been notorious for rough idle. It's really not 100% their fault, because it is next to impossible to get 60's to idle right w/o messin around with them.

I also find it hard to believe your altitude is not affecting things. I understand PCM's will adjust up to a point, but your altitude is a tad bit different than Michigan's.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 AM

Well i couold care less about a rough idle at this point, i cant go above 4k rpms. its like owning an N/A 2.0.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Well i couold care less about a rough idle at this point, i cant go above 4k rpms. its like owning an N/A 2.0.
Haha, I understand how annoying it must be.

ZZP didnt say anything else other than it must be your cold air intake??

See post #46

A crank case relearn can be a possible problem as well.

Did you send them your PCM, or did you buy a PCM?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM

well tim went from coolant getting in the combustion chamber to the intake. never said anything about the tune or anything else. He did ask if i have any way to check the 'Fuel trim Data" and says "really need scan data. Pick up an Aeroforce or PLX scan gauge. Every mod car should have one." But if im not throwing any codes what will this scan guage tell me? i guess he says the intake could be the "off brand MAF housing can cause issues"
Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 AM

i did mention that crank relearn to tim and he didnt comment on that, but if everyone thats doin these same mods dont have to do that- whats diff about my car? And im concerned with takin it down to the dealer cause these yahoos prolly havent ever seen a SS/SC in the shop. Yes thats how remote this valley is.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 AM

My mistake on the injector size, i thought they were 60s, and i sent in my PCM.

ZZP Stage 3 kit [ZZPerformance]

08-02-00991 08-02-01331 09-02-00110 13-02-00559 13-02-00811-BLK 17-02-01464 PP

In Stock

$0.00

$594.99

$594.99

[edit] Color: Black 2.8", Option 1: Shorter belt, Option 2: S3 Heat Exchanger for Cobalt, Option 3: 50# injectors gas tune, Option 4: Add Dual Pass Endplate *no core!, Model: Cobalt SS, Core Charge: I'm sending in my core first, Year of Your Car: 2006, Add On: Add Prepaid return label for PCM core return, Store: Ecotec Platform - ZZPerformance, Enter your VIN number: 1G1AP14P967636681
Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

well tim went from coolant getting in the combustion chamber to the intake. never said anything about the tune or anything else. He did ask if i have any way to check the 'Fuel trim Data" and says "really need scan data. Pick up an Aeroforce or PLX scan gauge. Every mod car should have one." But if im not throwing any codes what will this scan guage tell me? i guess he says the intake could be the "off brand MAF housing can cause issues"
The Aeroforce scans a lot of important parameters.

It allows you to see fuel trims, missfires, injectors pw's, O2 sensor mv, IAT's, MAF readings, coolant temp, ect.

It really is a must for any modified car, and would help ZZP figure out what might be wrong.

i did mention that crank relearn to tim and he didnt comment on that, but if everyone thats doin these same mods dont have to do that- whats diff about my car? And im concerned with takin it down to the dealer cause these yahoos prolly havent ever seen a SS/SC in the shop. Yes thats how remote this valley is.
It's hit or miss depending on if you sent them your PCM, or if you purchased a PCM.

Some cars don't accept a different PCM, and you need to perform the relearn.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 01-11-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 AM

The Aeroforce scans a lot of important parameters.

It allows you to see fuel trims, missfires, injectors pw's, O2 sensor mv, IAT's, MAF readings, coolant temp, ect.

It really is a must for any modified car, and would help ZZP figure out what might be wrong.

It's hit or miss depending on if you sent them your PCM, or if you purchased a PCM.

Some cars don't accept a different PCM, and you need to perform the relearn.
i sent my PCM in to them.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 01-11-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

i sent my PCM in to them.
Hmm.... Then you shouldn't need a relearn.

Did you check all your hoses & connections??

How's the intercooler coolant been? Has it leveled off yet?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM

i really dont mean to be a dick but seriously try changing your maf.... i probally have the same intake... i found that where it sits inside the fender is directly under the headlight and we all know it gets really wet and dirty there.... so a long story short it will cause the sensor to fudge up.... i am dead positive you need a new maf sensor..... it really sounds like my previous issue.... i had many people on this forum look at and try to diagnose the problem.... and in short we just overlooked the fact that the maf was fudged up..... i dont claim to know it all and i never will but i am just trying to help.... i really think it is nothing more then a coincidence that you installed the stg 3 kit and this happens.... it seems from what i read you tried every possible issue that could be related to the kit...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

i really dont mean to be a dick but seriously try changing your maf.... i probally have the same intake... i found that where it sits inside the fender is directly under the headlight and we all know it gets really wet and dirty there.... so a long story short it will cause the sensor to fudge up.... i am dead positive you need a new maf sensor..... it really sounds like my previous issue.... i had many people on this forum look at and try to diagnose the problem.... and in short we just overlooked the fact that the maf was fudged up..... i dont claim to know it all and i never will but i am just trying to help.... i really think it is nothing more then a coincidence that you installed the stg 3 kit and this happens.... it seems from what i read you tried every possible issue that could be related to the kit...
Like I said before....

If his car was acting up before the install I would 100% agree with you.

When installing the ZZP S3 kit you don't mess with the MAF sensor unless you are installing a new intake at the same time. If that was the case I would say "hey maybe you installed the MAF sensore backwards", or "clean your MAF sensor". The OP never mentioned messing with the MAF sensor when installing his kit. Also, the MAF sensor has a rubber seal around the plastic housing. Water & dirt should not enter there if installed properly. The filter on the other hand can def cause contamination.

I'm glad you are helping though, because the more people putting their heads together the better.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 PM

yes but you missed he doesnt have a stock intake.... he has a ebay intake.... water does leak in them and you also can suck up water easily throught the filter.... over time it will fudge the sensor..... i am very serious when i say that it is all a coincidence that he just installed the kit... when my sensor went it was a complete surprise.... it gave me no warning signs.... i changed plugs, i changed fuel filter, i cleaned maf, and throttle position, i even went as far as to drop the tank and clean the inside thinking i had water in my tank.... all it turned out to be was the maf was fudged.... when operating the car when fudged i had similar symptoms.... no power, i could drive but when i drove i had to ***** foot it to get going, the ecm would only let me get as high as 4000 rpm then absolutely died.... it really acted like the car was stumbling drunk..... it was extremely weird.... i really think he needs a new maf sensor man.... like come on, stranger things have happened.... its worth a shot... i have never disagreed with anything you said.... i know you know more then me about these cars....
Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

yes but you missed he doesnt have a stock intake.... he has a ebay intake.... water does leak in them and you also can suck up water easily throught the filter.... over time it will fudge the sensor..... i am very serious when i say that it is all a coincidence that he just installed the kit... when my sensor went it was a complete surprise.... it gave me no warning signs.... i changed plugs, i changed fuel filter, i cleaned maf, and throttle position, i even went as far as to drop the tank and clean the inside thinking i had water in my tank.... all it turned out to be was the maf was fudged.... when operating the car when fudged i had similar symptoms.... no power, i could drive but when i drove i had to ***** foot it to get going, the ecm would only let me get as high as 4000 rpm then absolutely died.... it really acted like the car was stumbling drunk..... it was extremely weird.... i really think he needs a new maf sensor man.... like come on, stranger things have happened.... its worth a shot... i have never disagreed with anything you said.... i know you know more then me about these cars....
Yes, I know he has an aftermarket intake (i did not miss that), and it should not leak.

If it did, he would have known about it from day 1. If the leak was big enough to let water in, it would also be big enough to let air out which would mess with the MAF sensor.

He installed a dual pass endplate. You need to remove quite a bit to perform the task. It could be anything from a damaged blower to intake manifold gasket, intake manifold gasket, leaky core due to a damaged o-ring, etc. etc....

Hey it could be a coincidence, but considering he just installed a stage kit, I feel the problem lies there.

Again, I'm not saying you're absolutely wrong, and I'm glad you are throwing in some good tips.

Hey, that would be great if it was only the MAF!! Easy fix.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 01-11-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM

I will check with the dealer if they have a maf in stock. I think I'm gonna order a zzp intake just to clear my conscience, I should Know better buying a $100 intake. So I think I'm gonna pull off the blower and IM and try to leave the coolant hooked to the end plate and try to see the coolant run thru the cores and not leak. How do you run the pump without turning on the car.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

I will check with the dealer if they have a maf in stock. I think I'm gonna order a zzp intake just to clear my conscience, I should Know better buying a $100 intake. So I think I'm gonna pull off the blower and IM and try to leave the coolant hooked to the end plate and try to see the coolant run thru the cores and not leak. How do you run the pump without turning on the car.
Don't buy another intake until you rule out everything else man.

Def. a good idea to check your install of the dual pass & cores.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:00 PM

agreed with not buying a new intake yet.... its a good intake its just not well thought of where they located the sensor.... it really does sit under the headlight and it constantly gets wet from the drippings.... but really best to my knowledge all the rest of the intakes are the same.... but maybe with a tighter seal on the sensor.... i ended up creating a new seal hoping it would solve the wet sensor issue however my car was totaled shortly after making the seal so i never really got a chance to see if the new seal helped.... besides whats a maf worth in the states? 50 bucks? thats cheap i paid almost 150
Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM

Kool, I will hold off on the intake. Any one have experience with the new PLX scan gauge? Tim wants me to buy one but I'm not really sure if that's a better one over the aero?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Don't buy another intake until you rule out everything else man.

Def. a good idea to check your install of the dual pass & cores.
So staged? How would the cores possibly leak into the mani? From what I remember the core paths are completely separate from the air passages?. Could it be from the gasket on the dual pass? I don't really see how the coolant can get to the the air inlet anywhere.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

So staged? How would the cores possibly leak into the mani? From what I remember the core paths are completely separate from the air passages?. Could it be from the gasket on the dual pass? I don't really see how the coolant can get to the the air inlet anywhere.
Damaged gasket or o-ring.

Quick Reply: ZZP S3 finished.....idle probs no power HELP