2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

ZZP Single Pass Intake manifold 200 degree IATs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZZP Single Pass Intake manifold 200 degree IATs?

Ok made alot of changes this week, let me tell you what I was running with before

BEFORE:
GM option B dual pass
stock heat exchanger
TVS w/75mm pulley
60s
maybe 160 degrees tops on a full throttle run
idle temps at red lights in 90 degree heat might hit 130-140

Now
ZZP single pass manifold with option B routing
stock and OTTP heat exchanger
zzp phenolic intake manifold spacer
overkill engineering motorsports m62 phenolic spacer (under the charger)
80s
TVS w/2.7in/68mm pulley
full throttle runs exceed 200 on IAT2
idle temps in the 150-160s

What the hell is going on here? Do not post about my intercooler pump, it works. The only thing I can possibly think of is the routing of the hoses and the lamovas on the single pass manifold. The way the lamovas are routed the in is at the bottom on the passenger side and the out is at the top on the drivers side of the manifold. This seems backwards? Should I flip the hoses and the lamovas around? Does anyone else have this manifold and know whats going on? I have no instructions as I bought it off the classifieds on here. Could this simply be a result of the pulley change?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rodimus_Prime
Ok made alot of changes this week, let me tell you what I was running with before

BEFORE:
GM option B dual pass
stock heat exchanger
TVS w/75mm pulley
60s
maybe 160 degrees tops on a full throttle run
idle temps at red lights in 90 degree heat might hit 130-140

Now
ZZP single pass manifold with option B routing
stock and OTTP heat exchanger
zzp phenolic intake manifold spacer
overkill engineering motorsports m62 phenolic spacer (under the charger)
80s
TVS w/2.7in/68mm pulley
full throttle runs exceed 200 on IAT2
idle temps in the 150-160s

What the hell is going on here? Do not post about my intercooler pump, it works. The only thing I can possibly think of is the routing of the hoses and the lamovas on the single pass manifold. The way the lamovas are routed the in is at the bottom on the passenger side and the out is at the top on the drivers side of the manifold. This seems backwards? Should I flip the hoses and the lamovas around? Does anyone else have this manifold and know whats going on? I have no instructions as I bought it off the classifieds on here. Could this simply be a result of the pulley change?
i didn't even hit those kind of temps with a dual pass and a 2.6

did you put 50/50 in it and not just straight dexcool?

Try watter wetter and some distilled
Old 07-28-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The inlet of the IM should be on the passenger side as stated.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 PM

im already using distilled water with water wetter not that it makes ANY difference over 50/50 dexcool, BECAUSE IT DOESNT

that seems dumb to have the inlet on the lower side then the exit on the top side?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 PM

that seems dumb to have the inlet on the lower side then the exit on the top side?
No.

Having the inlet on the bottom and the exit on the top forces the coolant up and through the IM. It insure that the IM fills with coolant.

If the inlet was on top and the exit on the bottom the coolant could flow all the way to the bottom of the IM on the driver side, travel through the bottom laminova core and out the exit.

Air would get trapped in the IM and there would be no way for it to get out other then burbing that would be fighting the flow of coolant. You always want the coolant flowing toward the highest point in the system.

Has the system completely purged itself of air?

Last edited by ebristol; 07-28-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM

yup its a option B setup

In this picture of my dual pass Lamovas, the middle is in and the outside are outs right?

it would seem logical to me to have the inlet at the top of the drivers side and have the lamovas the same way as the two in the middle of the 4 in this picture and then the out on the passenger side?

does anyone have a picture of what this damn thing is supposed to look like with the end plate off, like which way the lamovas are supposed to be
Old 07-28-2010, 10:02 PM

yup its a option B setup

In this picture of my dual pass Lamovas, the middle is in and the outside are outs right?

it would seem logical to me to have the inlet at the top of the drivers side and have the lamovas the same way as the two in the middle of the 4 in this picture and then the out on the passenger side?
Your dual pass setup is right. In the middle two, out the upper and lower.

Notice on the dual pass endplate setup that the outlet is at the top of the IM. That is the same idea behind having the outlet at the top of the IM in the single pass setup.

I can see that you don't believe what I am telling you. I have never ran a single pass setup but I have been researching them for a long time. Maybe ZZP will pipe in and tell you the science behind it.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 PM

im with you on the science, im just trying to figure out why i have 200 degree IATs when this is the only component thats changed other than the pulley
Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 PM

ebristol is correct, they have it set up much like any coolant system, with the water outlet at the highest point.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:28 PM

im about ready to remove it and go back to my dual pass, could the pulley change be causing all this?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Banned

i was just about to buy one of these, will see how it ends up working for you first
Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 PM

im about ready to remove it and go back to my dual pass, could the pulley change be causing all this?
No. Its not the pulley's fault.

But I am not convinced its the IMs either. Are you sure you have all the hoses routed correctly?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why don't you take it off and make sure you have it full of coolant then put it back on. use a ball valve in to keep it close.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 PM

how is the hose routed into the pump?

The pumps have almost zero suction, it is best to gravity feed them, and push the coolant through the system.. ask me how i know

I was experiencing the same thing when I swapped to a dual pass with a pass through option b tank.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sounds like you have your hoses routed wrong
Old 07-28-2010, 11:01 PM

following what it says on the gm option B diagram to a T

basically from the pump out which is the fitting at the top into aftercooler, out from aftercooler into lamova in on the intake manifold, out from intake mani into pump side fitting on the pump

surge tank line is on a T between the the intake manifold out and pump in
Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 PM

Not that you'll respect my two-cents, but hey.

I could see air trapped in system as ebristol mentioned and routing, all the info here regarding HE plumbing has been crap IMO. The old man here tried telling us this, as even the bleeder from my stock HE to my Option B wouldn't pull out any coolant and my IAT2's were crap.

So we tore the bumper off, made sure to fill up my Cobra, and do the stock HE the same, and I was still seeing so-so IAT2's. Roommate was having the same issue.

We finally revised our system to the old man's preaching, and everything has been peachy since.

The new routing makes the pump a pusher and it loves it, and my Option B tank makes coolant non-stop keeping air out of the system and a nice steady flow.

I'll gladly document the routing tomorrow for the nay-sayers to say what they don't like about it, however I love my IAT2's as does the car.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schulte
Not that you'll respect my two-cents, but hey.

I could see air trapped in system as ebristol mentioned and routing, all the info here regarding HE plumbing has been crap IMO. The old man here tried telling us this, as even the bleeder from my stock HE to my Option B wouldn't pull out any coolant and my IAT2's were crap.

So we tore the bumper off, made sure to fill up my Cobra, and do the stock HE the same, and I was still seeing so-so IAT2's. Roommate was having the same issue.

We finally revised our system to the old man's preaching, and everything has been peachy since.

The new routing makes the pump a pusher and it loves it, and my Option B tank makes coolant non-stop keeping air out of the system and a nice steady flow.

I'll gladly document the routing tomorrow for the nay-sayers to say what they don't like about it, however I love my IAT2's as does the car.
I'd be interested to see how you have it routed. I'll be doing a dual pass soon.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Banned

lmfao you must hose all your systems wrong or something....i remember you bitching about iat's on a dual pass......sounds like user error to me.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:40 AM

my IAT problems on dual pass were actually fixed compared to what i have now

Joe I'd love to see how you have it configured
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 AM

Tagged to see how this turns out. I actually think the single pass is fail idea on stock ic pump/system. But I am curious.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:28 AM

Holy ****! How is the flow through the laminovas? Can you give me a diagram at all of how the coolant enters and flows through manifold?

I have a feeling I know why this isn't working. My manifold is Powell's design and works flawlessly, but it's doesn't sound like your design at all. I figured they would at least be closely related.

You should have 2 inlets on the passenger side and then the stock 2 outlets on the driver's side.

Here is how it should look...

Last edited by ralliartist; 07-29-2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-29-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If your idle temps are that high it definitely is something to do with your hose routing or trapped air. With the phenolic spacer and single pass if i sit and idle for 10 min ait2's will be about 22* over ait1's. On a pull though the pulley would make a huge diff as well. For me going from a 2.9 to a 2.8 on the tvs caused a 20* jump in AIT2's.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:52 AM

I am the one who sold him the manifold. I was running it with the m62 w/ a 2.6 pulley. My only other cooling mod was a OTT h/e. I had mine routed I believe as rodimus does with the inlet being on the high side or stock endplate side and the outlet being on the low side or welded side. I used an air raid vacuum filling tool to fill the system. I saw idle temps around 70-90 degrees depending on outside temp and at 7 grand in 3rd after a full pull I saw consistant 140's and the occasional 150's on a hot day.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 AM

are you using your stock he matt? I know i don't have the option b now but i thought it only worked by allowing the air out of the stock he, and pushing it into the opt b tank, removing the suction on the tank, allowing the fluid to purge the system.

Quick Reply: ZZP Single Pass Intake manifold 200 degree IATs?