2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

$1000 for mods? Various other questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$1000 for mods? Various other questions...

I have about a grand to spent on the balt and I was wondering what would be some of my better options? I currently have the Injen CAI and I am getting Corsa exhaust as a gift.

Also, my cobalt was bare stock when I got it, the only option was the side molding. So, I realize my car does not have antilock brakes and I was wondering how exactly I could go about getting them. Is it as simple as putting different brakes on my car or replacing the braking system?

Last question, this one is going to sound crazy though. One of my friends just got an 06' Civic Si (thanks to his parents). How much modding would I need to keep up/beat him?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:02 PM

header, down pipe, strut bar,
shorty shifter http://www.twmperformance.com/shorts...rtshifters.htm

theres a few
Old 08-31-2006, 09:03 PM

do you have 2.2 or 2.4?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by brifriinc
do you have 2.2 or 2.4?
I got the 2.2, notice the forum you are posting in .

Quick question, after reading halfcents thing about the 2.2 headers, I did not think they would fit 2006?

Also, I don't know that much about cars, from my understand the header hooks to the downpipe which hooks to the exhaust? Therefore, if I got all of these parts would I have to make sure they would fit together?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

I dont have ABS either, sometimes i get freaked out when flyin down the road and hit the brakes, otherwise you dont need em that much, haha
Old 08-31-2006, 09:55 PM

yeah they'll fit same block. umm look at the list of my mods i have and i got about $3500 + into mine and its quick for and auto sedan. and anti lock brakes would require a whole new braking system i believe. and if your gonna do a downpipe i recommend with a cat or else it sounds like rice and thows a check engine light due to absence of cat.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by rallyyellow06
I dont have ABS either, sometimes i get freaked out when flyin down the road and hit the brakes, otherwise you dont need em that much, haha
I had to hit the brakes kinda hard one day and it was a big difference from my 99 zx2 with abs. I felt unsafe at that moment, and I would really like to have an ABS.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Kid
yeah they'll fit same block. umm look at the list of my mods i have and i got about $3500 + into mine and its quick for and auto sedan. and anti lock brakes would require a whole new braking system i believe. and if your gonna do a downpipe i recommend with a cat or else it sounds like rice and thows a check engine light due to absence of cat.
By cat you mean cat back exhaust system right? I am getting the Corse 2.5 touring, most likely at least.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:12 AM

damn you're lucky to be getting a $700 exhaust as a gift

I wouldn't get a downpipe unless you're going to get a header along with it. for one, those exhaust mods are designed with the ss/sc in mind. you don't really NEED a full 2.5" exhaust from the header back. don't go spending an assload of money on exhaust mods because they really make a small difference on the 2.2

to keep up with an 06 SI you are gonna have to have quite a few bolt ons. intake + exhaust + header + cams and then a tune if it were available and I'm sure you'd be sitting right on 15 flat. maybe a high 14 depending on the cams available and your tune.

if you are not going to pick up a header than I would look into some suspension mods or some wheels. a lowered car with some nice wheels/tires really makes a big difference...
Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 AM

A really really nice gesture in the form of a car payment to SAC Federal Credit Union !

I would have to agree with ION. You want some serious power, rip into that motor, GM has a guide book on what to do. Can't go wrong doing that.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
damn you're lucky to be getting a $700 exhaust as a gift

I wouldn't get a downpipe unless you're going to get a header along with it. for one, those exhaust mods are designed with the ss/sc in mind. you don't really NEED a full 2.5" exhaust from the header back. don't go spending an assload of money on exhaust mods because they really make a small difference on the 2.2

to keep up with an 06 SI you are gonna have to have quite a few bolt ons. intake + exhaust + header + cams and then a tune if it were available and I'm sure you'd be sitting right on 15 flat. maybe a high 14 depending on the cams available and your tune.

if you are not going to pick up a header than I would look into some suspension mods or some wheels. a lowered car with some nice wheels/tires really makes a big difference...
Thanks for all the input man. Well, ever since I am full time worker/college student my mom actually went back to school and got her RN. She has had quite a bit of money she didn't have when I lived at home. She offered to get me something for my car, and I suggested the exhaust, and she said she would. So hey, I am not complaining at all.

Anyway, I would like to get the headers, but my question is, do they fit on the 06 Cobalt? After the bolt ons i/h/e, I planned on moving to wheels, lightweight 16s, getting the car lowered and a carbon fiber hood. Just gotta take one step at a time though.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rush
I have about a grand to spent on the balt and I was wondering what would be some of my better options? I currently have the Injen CAI and I am getting Corsa exhaust as a gift.?
Maybe some aluminum wheels and stickier, summer only tires. I wouldn't go over 16inches on a daily driver. And keep your wheel/tire package as light as possible.

Last question, this one is going to sound crazy though. One of my friends just got an 06' Civic Si (thanks to his parents). How much modding would I need to keep up/beat him?
Civic Si is similar weight and has 55 more HP. It probably responds better to mods than the 2.2 Eco. If you want a faster car, do not mod the Cobalt at all, just save for a faster car. Or, save for a Supercharger.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by eco_zed
Maybe some aluminum wheels and stickier, summer only tires. I wouldn't go over 16inches on a daily driver. And keep your wheel/tire package as light as possible.

Civic Si is similar weight and has 55 more HP. It probably responds better to mods than the 2.2 Eco. If you want a faster car, do not mod the Cobalt at all, just save for a faster car. Or, save for a Supercharger.
I got the cobalt because I could afford the payments, and my insurance myself. For my friend, he is lucky enough to have his parents paying for both. Either way, if I did save up and get the SS/SC or any faster car in general my insurance would be insane. No offense, but I hate it when people ask questions about modding their car and someone comes in with a statement like buy a faster a car. Either way, my friend probably won't be modding his car, he is simply lazy and spoiled so he knows he can buy a fast car and just leave it that way. I do plan on getting wheels, as you can see on the post above, I am looking at getting bronze 16s.

And I happen to like my cobalt, and would much prefer modding it rather than another car.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:19 AM

No offense, but I hate it when people ask questions about modding their car and someone comes in with a statement like buy a faster a car.
You can spend a surprising amount of money on intake, header, and a full exhaust and only get 10 or 15hp. Unless you are having trouble keeping up with the flow of traffic, I wouldn't waste your money.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by eco_zed
I disagree with that entire paragraph. the only reason if any the Si would respond better is because of tunability, but the ecotecs have always done great with basic part upgrades. they are no joke though if it's the newest body style I'm thinking of, and will take a bit of work to run with. do yourself a favor, don't build your car based on beating another one, it's a losing battle.

you can make the 2.2 "faster" without a supercharger

so, sounds like the exhaust is covered and you have an intake. what about suspension? I'd look into that first (i.e. springs, traction bars, strut bracing, etc). then see how much is left and look at a good wheel/tire combo (I personall prefer 15's, 16's pushing it but nothing larger) that is grippy and lightweight. check out www.edgeracing.com for some pretty good prices on lightweight wheels.

the idea is balance your car out. it's a lot more fun to drive as opposed to having all your money put into power and then driving on the stock suspension, not a fun time at all I can assure you that.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:23 AM

I do plan on getting wheels, as you can see on the post above, I am looking at getting bronze 16s.
btw - discountiredirect.com has a great deal on BF Goodrich G Force TA's right now. And their MB Boost is a great looking 5 spoke wheel. Free mounting, balance, and shipping as well.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:27 AM

those tires always seem to be on sale when I can't afford them haha
Old 09-01-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by kjn24
header, down pipe, strut bar,
shorty shifter
Short shifter might look nice, and allow you to shift quicker, but it requires a higher effort to shift. And if you use it as intended, ie faster shifts, it could harm your syncros.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:32 AM

well, if it's made right it shouldn't require more effort to shift, but you can put more abuse on your cables and as said your synchros. as it is the 2nd gear one gets a beating since it's typically the one beat on the most.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:34 AM

check out cobalt-addiction.com....you can get some ideas for our cars there site. ill be down there puttin some of my exhaust stuff on today. i personally would get a CAI intake, and full exhaust(header back)..but thats gonna be over 1000 bucks. at least get the downpipe and exhaust. corsa isnt to bad. ive head dc sports on ours..its ok. the gmpp my buddy has..it doesnt really do much...check it out
Old 09-01-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by slowion2
well, if it's made right it shouldn't require more effort to shift, but you can put more abuse on your cables and as said your synchros. as it is the 2nd gear one gets a beating since it's typically the one beat on the most.
Generally they do require more effort because the longer shifter has a mechanical advantage - more leverage.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:38 AM

right, but, just chopping a shifter isn't making it a short shifter, which would require more effort to get into gear.

for example, the B&M is quite a bit shorter throw and takes the same amount of force to get into gear.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:15 AM

I disagree with that entire paragraph. the only reason if any the Si would respond better is because of tunability, but the ecotecs have always done great with basic part upgrades. they are no joke though if it's the newest body style I'm thinking of, and will take a bit of work to run with. do yourself a favor, don't build your car based on beating another one, it's a losing battle.

you can make the 2.2 "faster" without a supercharger

so, sounds like the exhaust is covered and you have an intake. what about suspension? I'd look into that first (i.e. springs, traction bars, strut bracing, etc). then see how much is left and look at a good wheel/tire combo (I personall prefer 15's, 16's pushing it but nothing larger) that is grippy and lightweight. check out www.edgeracing.com for some pretty good prices on lightweight wheels.

the idea is balance your car out. it's a lot more fun to drive as opposed to having all your money put into power and then driving on the stock suspension, not a fun time at all I can assure you that.
I am not building my car with the sole purpose of beating his Si, I know its possible, I was just questioning how much work would be needed. I am building it for perforamce in general. Still no one has asked my question, do any headers fit on the 06 cobalt? If so, it looks like I am going the headers/downpipe way for now.

How much does a short shifter actually help? I have never had any experience with one, but I seem to be able to switch gears fast enough already, it just seems like it would be useless, but honestly, I have no idea.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:22 AM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-l61-performance-tech-45/bypass-2-2-egr-w-e-29879/

that's being discussed here, take a look at that thread for a better idea of what's going on.

I just hear far too often that people what to beat whatever type of car and make it their mission on life. to me, that's just dumb.

they clean up the slop a bit, but honestly, I don't think it's as required as people make it out to be. shifters don't add hp haha.

I don't have one and do just fine.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:04 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29879

that's being discussed here, take a look at that thread for a better idea of what's going on.

I just hear far too often that people what to beat whatever type of car and make it their mission on life. to me, that's just dumb.

they clean up the slop a bit, but honestly, I don't think it's as required as people make it out to be. shifters don't add hp haha.

I don't have one and do just fine.
Yea I know what your saying, but I honestly, was not planning on my car for that purpose. Its just, ah he is cocky about it, and I was wondering how much it would take in general to be as fast/faster than his Si. Don't get me wrong though, its not like my life goal, he is actually one of my good friends. I have a ton of respect for his car, its very nice and he got the navigation package with it and everything. I just want to beat him on the track though .

Quick Reply: $1000 for mods? Various other questions...