2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

'05 cavy engine (drive by cable) in '07 cobalt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 cavy engine (drive by cable) in '07 cobalt?

can this be done?

i found a killer deal on an 05 cavy 2.2 ecotec. its drive by cable, so im wondering what i would need to do to the gas pedal to mate up to the TB.

im almost sure it will fit? and use my mounts? ill also want to keep my standard tranny.

so what do you guys think?

tuning available? can i swap my 07 (usable) parts into the '05?

isnt the drive by cable better for turbo'd applications? (what im working on now)

they say its out of an '05 cobalt, but im sure this looks like drive by cable? i think all of the cobalts are drive by wire?

Old 06-16-2008, 05:42 PM

BUMP! Someone help this guy out!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:45 PM

all cobalts are drive by wire but as far as the motor swap being done thats something someone else will have to help you with. god luck tho!:
Old 06-16-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 409Cobalt07
all cobalts are drive by wire but as far as the motor swap being done thats something someone else will have to help you with. god luck tho!:
haha funniest thing i heard all day!

anyhow bridfi just swap the tb for your stock one and you should be fine.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 PM

hmm..

was diggin the drive by cable. ill try to research a bit more... also need the ecu.

but i can get this engine for less than $300
Old 06-16-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by bridfi
hmm..

was diggin the drive by cable. ill try to research a bit more... also need the ecu.

but i can get this engine for less than $300
if you do that your gonna need to do a wiring harness and ecu swap, and try to make it work with all the electronics too ie radio, airbags etc.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:44 PM

Just put on your 07 TB then you should be ok.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:53 PM

Correct me if I am wrong since I know the lsj not the 07+ L61 but just like the lsj don't you guys have a cam angle sensor now and your ps isnt ran from the intake cam anymore correct?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Koncep Vega
Correct me if I am wrong since I know the lsj not the 07+ L61 but just like the lsj don't you guys have a cam angle sensor now and your ps isnt ran from the intake cam anymore correct?
correct...the 07 L61 has a Cam Position Sensor (hence one of the reason that the stock hp increased 3 points from the previous year models) and the Power Steering is no longer part of the engine drive system but it is essentially a geared down electric motor assisting the driver to turn the car. So in theory an engine swap would work..but you would have to completely overhaul the electronics systems which in my opinion would be a waste of time and money, the engine may be a good deal..but installing it wouldn't...just stick with your 07 engine...it's better anyway...and with tuning now available (or will be soon in certain applications) the drive by wire will be fine for F/I applications as what you are worried about...so just stick to what you go and invest that money that you were going to spend to buy the motor to buy parts to up the power of your existing engine...
Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 PM

not necessarily, if he uses the block from this new motor and head from his previous motor, he should be good since majority of the differences all are based around the head.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned

07s have a cam sensor and electronic throttle so if you did the cable swap it would trow a code for the tps being out of wack and a code for no cam position sensor input,. unless you switched heads and tbs
Old 06-16-2008, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by FacelessKhaos
correct...the 07 L61 has a Cam Position Sensor (hence one of the reason that the stock hp increased 3 points from the previous year models) and the Power Steering is no longer part of the engine drive system but it is essentially a geared down electric motor assisting the driver to turn the car. So in theory an engine swap would work..but you would have to completely overhaul the electronics systems which in my opinion would be a waste of time and money, the engine may be a good deal..but installing it wouldn't...just stick with your 07 engine...it's better anyway...and with tuning now available (or will be soon in certain applications) the drive by wire will be fine for F/I applications as what you are worried about...so just stick to what you go and invest that money that you were going to spend to buy the motor to buy parts to up the power of your existing engine...
ok, thanks. that's probably what i should do.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This will not work!

The 07 L61 uses a different head then previous years. The only part you would be able to use would be the bottom end. Not worth it. All the extra parts would be worthless to you.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 AM

so i take it things arent going well with the dealer?

too bad man, they totally fed u over
Old 06-17-2008, 01:26 AM

can this be done?

i found a killer deal on an 05 cavy 2.2 ecotec. its drive by cable, so im wondering what i would need to do to the gas pedal to mate up to the TB.

im almost sure it will fit? and use my mounts? ill also want to keep my standard tranny.

isnt the drive by cable better for turbo'd applications? (what im working on now)

they say its out of an '05 cobalt, but im sure this looks like drive by cable? i think all of the cobalts are drive by wire?

Thsi is actually what is suggested by the GM Tuner Source "bulid a fast Cobalt" bullshit manual they ripped form whitfield. Uh, to build a supremely fast eco, you change to cable throttle, cap and rotor after about 400 hp, and return fuel system. along with stand alone. This is about the only way to remove your ********* from GM's strong hold and continue your journey to ECO freedom and fastness beyond. It's 1:30 AM. Im on SS.net Im a loser. K bye.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm old school

Well, actually, the Build Books first version was written in 2003, well before the Whitfield car.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Well, actually, the Build Books first version was written in 2003, well before the Whitfield car.
Do a lil research on the story. Im talkin about the cobalt build, not the eco. The cobalt wasnt out in 03. We are talking about cobalts not cavis. Thanks. They talk about removing everything from the cobalt, to turn it back into its true form, The chevrolet cavalier. n e ways. Yeah.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
haha funniest thing i heard all day!

anyhow bridfi just swap the tb for your stock one and you should be fine.
drive by wire is another way of saying ect. dont see how that is funny....
Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty1017
so i take it things arent going well with the dealer?

too bad man, they totally fed u over
yessir they did.

now, 2 options... rebuild? or buy a used engine?

Originally Posted by clumsykx
Thsi is actually what is suggested by the GM Tuner Source "bulid a fast Cobalt" bullshit manual they ripped form whitfield. Uh, to build a supremely fast eco, you change to cable throttle, cap and rotor after about 400 hp, and return fuel system. along with stand alone. This is about the only way to remove your ********* from GM's strong hold and continue your journey to ECO freedom and fastness beyond. It's 1:30 AM. Im on SS.net Im a loser. K bye.
number 1. never have i read any manual suggesting to put a cavy engine in a cobalt.

number 2. i wasn't on at 1:30 am, since im in CA, if you had any amount of brain power youd realize it was actually 11:20 PM. but since you posted at 10:30 PM my time, that means YOU posted at 12:30 AM. who's the loser, now?

number 3. even if i WAS on at 1:30 AM, i have been looking for a mildly used, not too expensive engine all over the internet and local ads, because my DD CAR doesnt RUN. and this is a little stressful at the ******* moment because my gf is about to POP (due on the 25th). shes 9 3/4 months pregnant. the only source of income IS MY JOB, and i have no ******* way to get their now. if i lose my job, we're fucked. SO who ******* cares if im online at 1:30 am (which i wasnt) looking for an engine so i can provide my family with a GOOD standard of living.

******* douche.

Last edited by bridfi; 06-17-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 AM
Jn2

for 300 bucks, i say take it, build the block, and sell the head, hell 300 ur not going to be lossing out on alot anyway, for a whole engine thts a deal
Old 06-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Banned

yessir they did.

now, 2 options... rebuild? or buy a used engine?

number 1. never have i read any manual suggesting to put a cavy engine in a cobalt.

number 2. i wasn't on at 1:30 am, since im in CA, if you had any amount of brain power youd realize it was actually 11:20 PM. but since you posted at 10:30 PM my time, that means YOU posted at 12:30 AM. who's the loser, now?

number 3. even if i WAS on at 1:30 AM, i have been looking for a mildly used, not too expensive engine all over the internet and local ads, because my DD CAR doesnt RUN. and this is a little stressful at the ******* moment because my gf is about to POP (due on the 25th). shes 9 3/4 months pregnant. the only source of income IS MY JOB, and i have no ******* way to get their now. if i lose my job, we're fucked. SO who ******* cares if im online at 1:30 am (which i wasnt) looking for an engine so i can provide my family with a GOOD standard of living.

******* douche.

IM pretty sure he was calling himself a loser and not you
Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by clumsykx
Do a lil research on the story. Im talkin about the cobalt build, not the eco. The cobalt wasnt out in 03. We are talking about cobalts not cavis. Thanks. They talk about removing everything from the cobalt, to turn it back into its true form, The chevrolet cavalier. n e ways. Yeah.
My, my, don't you have your panties in a bunch.

You are absolutely right. There was no Cobalt in 03. But the L61 Ecotec engine was out in 03, and it's the exact same engine (and engine only) in the 05-06 Cobalts. The original GM Performance Ecotec Build Book came out in 03. Every other book since then, including the one you are talking about, was subsequent to it. My point is simple. GM didn't rip anything off from Whitfield.

But again, to the original poster, in 07 they changed the head on the L61. So none of the earlier year engines will work for you. The bottom end is still the same, but that won't do you any good without a head.

What broke on your car? I can't suggest fixing the one you have or getting a rebuilt without knowing whats broke.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:37 PM

X2... didnt really understand why it was tht funny...
Old 06-19-2008, 01:51 PM

can this be done?

To try to answer this as clearly as possible (this has been reviewed a few times on this forum and in various documents from GM)....

Reasons why this will not work with the ECM in your car, even though you are looking to swap ECMs but more on that in a second:

1. Crank sensor and reluctor ring are different. Too different to work.
2. Stock ECM will not allow any fueling above "Engine Power Reduced" or limp mode due to the absence of a correct pair of TPS sensors.
3. Even though the cams are different this isn't necessarily a problem. If the above problems were not present it would actually run using timing from the crank sensor. The only downside would be extended cranking during starting to determine cam phase.

Reason why this is not exactly streetable as an engine swap WITH the Cavalier/Sunfire PCM:

The jbody PCM will not interface with your other computers in your car. This means loss of all gauges, power steering, airbags, and ABS brakes. You can replace some of those items with aftermarket pieces as professionals who build track cars do.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:59 PM

x3 hows that funny its what its called

Quick Reply: '05 cavy engine (drive by cable) in '07 cobalt?