2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2 muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sshaner
i have pacesetter headers and dual magnaflow exhaust with no cat, injen cold air intake, and custom mesh grille, painted headlights, 5% window tint, 215/45/r17 riax wheels, hardwired radar detector and cell phone charger, 12' kenwood typhoon thats all
i'm assuming it's an SS/SC?? and does that catback have res or no?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no its not a ss/sc, its a ls you can see it in the picture no res, why would you say its a ss/sc? what do you have?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:27 PM

no its not a ss/sc, its a ls you can see it in the picture no res, why would you say its a ss/sc? what do you have?

i've got a 2.4 SS. i didn't look that closely at the photo, i just assumed that based on the wing on the back. i'm trying to decide if i think it would be cool for it to belch fire or not, lol
Old 08-03-2006, 08:29 PM

they are blue flames i havent seen it but a few guys on here have and they said it looks good...... it shoots the flames out of both pipes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:30 PM

they are blue flames i havent seen it but a few guys on here have and they said it looks good...... it shoots the flames out of both pipes
I could see myself getting pulled over for that one, LOL.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:31 PM

lol its only when i shift hard he said its onlylike 2-4 inch long( and not my dick) my flame
Old 08-03-2006, 08:44 PM

lol its only when i shift hard he said its onlylike 2-4 inch long( and not my dick) my flame
i'm still kinda shocked it doesn't make the CEL come on. very odd indeed.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:23 AM

paul...u think its worth it...do u think ill get any gains? is this free of charge..lol. i totally want to work on my car like we all do well at least not mine, yet. mike is movin into his new place..ill see if i can get down to CA 2morrow. its my dads bday so ill be down on my boat, so ill totally want to stop by and do up DPA 2morrow nite
Old 08-04-2006, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by iLLmaTic3s
orangeredline...are u sure about that..ive talked to another guy and said there are some hp gains but u will get better flow. yest if i were to change the whole exhaust then yes it would be different....
illamati3cs I see for your future mods you have a header and down pipe.
Ok lets say you did put on the ss/sc muffler, then you get a header then a down pipe, well then you will find that you want more and will get a full exhaust system right from front to back and you also want sound right well you will change out the muffler for one that has a nice tune to it.
I've heard coffee cans they pop pop pop really bad sounds like tin. and straight through ovals, I like them I had one before and it sounded like a WRX exhaust very nice sound it was a vibrant muffler. not too loud on highway but loud enough around town to make a nice echo off of buildings. I have heard Magnoflows and i like them the best very deep not to ricey. Top quality stuff.
But if you like Quite go with the SS/SC muffler but it will rust and crack like the rest of factory exhaust systems and oh when that happens you will make up new curse words that's the best part. I have had a muffler on another car I had before and the baffles rusted out and plugged the exit on the muffler, not fun at 150kph on the highway, so i switched to all stainless and the muffler will probably out live the car.

you may get a little power gain from the ss/sc muffler but not enough to feel it in the seat. To me it's just not worth the time and money to take off a factory exhaust, just to install another in it's place. that's my 2 cents.

and RedbaseBolt so ya know I do not have the ss/sc exhaust I wouldn't put that on my car, and I have stopped modding my Car all together. if you look in the classifieds you will see i am selling the damn thing.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by player_1
06cobaltLT1
did you swap to the SS CAT. as well, or did you do just the Cat-back
Just the cat back. It was simple bolton and hangars match perfect. Had one cut on it and I had that welded at the muffler shop. I got a muffler from a magnaflow cat back system and it has factory hangars and was ready to go. So I have 2.5 exhuast with magnaflow muffler for around 150 bucks. Sounds really awesome. Talk about deep. On highway not much difference. You can only really hear it at throttle. I will post some pics and vid when I get me computer/camera problems sorted out.

Art
Old 08-04-2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by orangredline
Listen Here REDBASEBOLT, How do you know what I have on my car and what i don't have? Can you see my car from Ontario?

And iLLmaTic3s is talking about just a muffler swap
(Has any 2.2 guys give any thought into changing there muffler to the ss/sc muffler? all the parts on the ss/sc are pretty much interchangable with our cars. if some one changed the muffler wud u take the resonator out?)

For just swapping the muffler out no you won't get any gains in power and there is some friggin around to get it to fit, as to going full exhaust swap yes you may get some power gains but for the amount of time you are going to spend on doing the swap you might as well go full out and do the whole thing header and all custom built exhaust look at the threads that have been posted.
Besides if you want to go Turbo which most of us 2.2 guys want, you will have to upgrade the exhaust to a bigger size anyways to get the air flow required. But money wise it is a saver just to swap. Drivers Choice!

First you get good, Then you get Fast!!
This guys is alot of talk isn't he???? Larger exhaust = more flow= more power, a 1/2 of an inch is a big difference, besides most cat backs for our 2.2s are 2.5 inches, I'm going for a ss/sc exhaust. Thanks Baseredbolt
Old 08-04-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bestward27
This guys is alot of talk isn't he???? Larger exhaust = more flow= more power, a 1/2 of an inch is a big difference, besides most cat backs for our 2.2s are 2.5 inches, I'm going for a ss/sc exhaust. Thanks Baseredbolt

Thats RedBaseBolt

No Problem. I love my SS Exhaust .
Old 08-04-2006, 10:03 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I should have at least the header and stock downpipe tomorrow/... I don't know when he'll be done fabbing up the rest of the exhaust.... I'll try to get on him about it tonight... but yeah I'll just give it to you when its off... you should see some gains maybe 3-5 hp maybe but it should sound a bit better too.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:57 PM

actually, you want as much flow as possible after the turbo on a turbocharged car. the restriction of the turbo is what powers it in essence, the backpressure and heat are what turn that turbine. with that said, most of the people on here running stock internals will be fine with 2.5" exhaust, and the big dogs will want to look into 3"

the gain you'll be getting by just changing the muffler is not much at all, I doubt you could even measure it. I woudln't go that route personally, sounds like a waste.

the 2.0 manifold bolts to the 2.2 downpipe, so the other way around should also work for whoever asked.

you're going to get a gain by upgrading to this exhaust, it's pretty odd to argue against that but whatever helps you sleep at night.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kahless
contrary to popular belief you dont need a huge exhaust for a turbo. the turbo is the biggest restriction to the exhaust flow, youll get gains but not huge gains. exhaust flow is more important in an SC
I'm not sure what qualifies as huge exhaust. When I opened up my exhaust on my 91 MX-6GT it made a significant difference. With the exhasut and simple K&N cone filter my boost went from 7psi to about 10psi peak (no boost controller). My motor was bored .02 over, so I'm not sure how that would effect boost tho.