2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2 NA w/ spray

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.2 NA w/ spray

well i'm all into options and i've taken a liking to the idea of running a little spray. i've found in my research that nitrous and f/i are not all that differnt end result wise. i know there may be arguments related to my statement but i could care less.

that being said my baby is all about daily driving. although a 2.2 turbo seems to be the best route i want to go NA on this car as i wont be needing constant boost all the time. i want a daily driven weekend warrior. as that is the case what engine and tranny mods am i looking at that will give me a quick but overall durable setup.

the durability of course has to do with the addition of spray. i'm most certainly getting a wet kit soon and will be running a 35 shot to break myself in. my goal is to safely run a 100 shot without worry of the engine componets breaking down prematurely.

halfcent i know you got some advise for a brotha' please do speak up. i'm not looking to break the bank but i will not put cheap **** in my car.

Last edited by CobaltCowboy; 04-14-2006 at 03:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:32 AM

Not A Bad Idea, How Much For The The Wet Kit?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:16 AM

haven't priced kits yet. looking for more info at the moment. i'll take the time tomorrow(later today) to actually search for a good kit at a good price.

edit: well, started looking and a complete setup is just over $1000 and gets you 35-50-75 shot with the NX wet kit, so that's up to 75hp give or take. that setup also includes the purge system, bottle warmer and other very useful goodies. i'm sorry but you can't beat that with a charger of any kind. just playing with you ss/sc onwers out there. if you want just the wet kit its around $600 and still gives you up to 75hp. i'm all in on this one.

edited for content

Last edited by CobaltCowboy; 04-14-2006 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:16 AM

well good luck with that, let us know how it goes, your tranny should hold fine as well as the engine up to 100 shot not holding it in for more than 10 seconds, youll probably wanna invest in a few gauges mainly air/fuel ratio to make sure you dont run lean at any time, possibly bigger injectors for when you get up to that 100 shot as well as some other type of fuel mods , you have a good exhaust and intake already so you should be set
Old 04-14-2006, 09:39 AM

a/f isn't going to do a damn thing, the fuel isn't adjustable on a nitrous kit, it's fixed via jets. a vaccuum gauge is going to be more helpful to meter what if any damage you may have incurred.

your stock injectors should still be fine with the 100 shot, as would the fuel pump. if anything you could go with a piggyback controller to richen things up for peace of mind, but I honestly don't think that would be an issue. what you would need to consider is timing control at that large of a shot. timing is pretty coservative as it is now, but you still may want to pull a few degrees when it comes to running a 100 shot

where are you getting your pricing for everything? I think I estimated around 1100 at first, but spent about 800 total if that on my install.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 AM

def pull the timing a lil if need be and for sure run some colder plugs.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by STi_WRX02
def pull the timing a lil if need be and for sure run some colder plugs.
+1

I might have left that out bymistake in a PM to him, thanks for bringing that up. I'd go at least 2 steps colder and close the gap quite a bit. you guys are gapped stock to .045 also right?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:53 AM

.04 or .045 something like that.

i got the pricing between some unknown website (forgot it was late), gravana, and cobalt-addiction. i know i can a killer deal sooner or later but i wanted to get an idea of what i would be working with.

i was hoping by the time i get going on all this the unichip reflash or a similar product would be out. wishful thinking i know but hey a ***** can dream cant he. anyway back to business. from the sounds of it the stock engine/tranny can handle the load. so what about durability how long is that really gonna last?

also dont forget i am interested in a better equiped NA engine then stock so again where do i start?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:00 AM

I duno how 100 shot will affect internals etc. If u plan on just running juice I'd go with some forge pistons. Is there gona be a S/C or Turbo kit releasing for the 2.2's? How much would that cost and how much would a Naaawwwwwwwzz setup run you? If its more than half way to a FI kit then I'd save up for that cause that would be more reliable and usable. With the juice ur limited to short burts and the amount u have in your tank. Remember...once u run out u got nothing...NOTHING! hahah But in the end its up to you.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:12 AM

I say do both, FI and N2O, works for me...
Old 04-14-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I honestly don't know that much about tuning a NOS equipped car. As far as beefing up the engine, that' easy. If the day comes when you actually want to tear it open, as always, replace those rods and pistons. It just makes sense. Rods; $350. Pistons; $550. I am also a big advocate of switching to ARP head studs as well now. $125 and they are reusable, unlike bolts. Those are the 3 cheapest and easiest things to do to the inside of an Ecotec if you open it up.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:14 AM

running out of spray aint the issue really. i want it for the track/strip which means i wont need a lot in the first place. i dont plan on racing on the daily drive to work and while running errands. the daily driving will be covered by the NA build up which nobody seems to know much about.

i've thought this through and i have decided if i'm going turbo i will get a turbo'd car before i drop an ass-load of money to turbo this one out. that said i haven't seen any full turbo kits for the 2.2 running at $1600 to $2000, not to mention install which will throw the price way up. the nitrous i can do myself and like slowion2 stated he paid roughly $800 in all w/ install.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:16 AM

hey halfcent home from work? anyway i'm not building around the nos cause it will work with any setup you run i'd like to build a decent torque'y engine for my spirited daily drives and add the spray for my track days. i know you can help me build the engine i want so give up the goods bro, i need knowledge.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:31 PM

how long can we handle the 100 shot? how is the clutch going to handle the 100 shot? that is the only thing that would bother me...a 75 shot on top of bolt ons should give you turbo numbers anyway, just not there all the time. but really, you don't need it to be.

you could run a simple wet kit for the 100 shot, but of course direct port would be the best option.

get the 2 step colder plugs, the accessories kit with the purge, bottle warmer, etc, a window switch, and an msd dis 2 and you should be all set.

Personally I'd be worried about the clutch though with a 100shot, thats a lot of torque hittin the tranny all at once. You might want to consider that an upgrade...
Old 04-14-2006, 02:39 PM

highest shot i would do is 75 since thats the safest and it says that in the 2.2 gm build book. i would only run a 100 shot if i had upgraded internals.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:12 PM

first off i dont have a clutch. maybe i should have clarified that in the first post.

for the love of god does anyone read the entire post and think through before they answer? i suppose not my original post was about a NA build up plus nitrous. only a few responses have come in relation to the build up and very little was actually mentioned as far as what to do and the possible gains.

can someone with the knowledge give me direction as where to go with this build up? is that really too much to ask? i'm looking to change cams, pistons, rods, etc to get a little more out of my 2.2 auto. does anyone have real answers or just opinions on the nitrous?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltCowboy
first off i dont have a clutch. maybe i should have clarified that in the first post.

for the love of god does anyone read the entire post and think through before they answer? i suppose not my original post was about a NA build up plus nitrous. only a few responses have come in relation to the build up and very little was actually mentioned as far as what to do and the possible gains.

can someone with the knowledge give me direction as where to go with this build up? is that really too much to ask? i'm looking to change cams, pistons, rods, etc to get a little more out of my 2.2 auto. does anyone have real answers or just opinions on the nitrous?
i understand the auto thing, anyway if you are dead set on making it to a 100 shot, forged pistons wouldnt be a bad idea since you will be opening the engine for a new cam anyway, get the street/strip cam but only after someone puts out a ecu for you tune fine tune with or i think the motor may run bad, also you might wanna think about a progressive nitrous setup so all that tq doesnt hit the tranny at once for durability reason make it come on slow then progressivly build up, make sure you have a blow down tube as well since tracks wont let you run without one, also to compliment it and have more power without nitrous get a header
Old 04-14-2006, 03:31 PM

now we're talking. keep in mind the 100 shot is way down the road. when i get the kit i'm running the 35 shot til i am satisfied with the engine build up and tune as soon as one drops.

my intent in the near future is a performance header and possible cat. at this point i like the sound of a high flow cat but are they emissions legal? i will be getting the wet kit and header around then same time and going with the 35 shot until i can get a tune.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:37 PM

I guess that you ll need to change yours head gasket and put something like the one sold buy turbo tech racing and put the arp studs in,in my opinion its the best way to take the 100 shots cause the stock rods can take up to 250hp and the pistons can handle 300 hp as the gm build book says.So with new gasket studs and colder plugs with the right gap you should be on your way for a 14sec pass with only the 100 shot.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by qcpursuit
I guess that you ll need to change yours head gasket and put something like the one sold buy turbo tech racing and put the arp studs in,in my opinion its the best way to take the 100 shots cause the stock rods can take up to 250hp and the pistons can handle 300 hp as the gm build book says.So with new gasket studs and colder plugs with the right gap you should be on your way for a 14sec pass with only the 100 shot.

not to be a dick, no really i mean this, but how are the studs and head gasket going to make my 2.2 a faster car. i already stated that i've gotten mostly opinions on the nitrous and this proves it. i want to make it faster without the nitrous for my daily driving. so what have you to say on making it a quicker NA car?
Old 04-14-2006, 04:19 PM

well my advice is this, run 35 shot until you can pickup some kind of engine managemnt that has 2 programs, 1 for n/a driving then a switch on the side for nitrous driving to get the most out of your car depending what u are doing at that time. your putting down like what 125 whp stock? 100 shot puts you at 225 whp or so maybe a lil less, the engine stock can handle that if you keep it well maintainenced
Old 04-14-2006, 09:50 PM

I didnt read the enitre thread. And i will soon. I just wanted to point out to you that by you wanting to go with a 35 wet shot to break yourself in is a great thing to read in my mind. I had a 13 second 76 c-10 that i raced at sears point in highschool and just out of high school. A peer of mine who hated me had a 90's mazda pickup that he would always race me with and i would KILL it every time. so he got mad and spent a ton of money on his NOS system. First time he hit the button he blew his motor. Thats why i say if you want to spray please BABY STEPS!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltCowboy

I'm sorry, I will hold back from posting in your threads for now on since I can't read.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:29 AM

i want a daily driven weekend warrior. as that is the case what engine and tranny mods am i looking at that will give me a quick but overall durable setup.
cams,header,light weight crank pully, light weight flywheel, high flow cat, and some type of tunning to get a better shifting range for your auto.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:47 AM

just look here

http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersou...build_book.htm

All the info you need! Just click on the stock 250hp link.

Quick Reply: 2.2 NA w/ spray