2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2 performance summarization

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.2 performance summarization

Can some 2.2 owners please give me a short write up basically summarizing the performance of a 2.2 cobalt? I know it's no rocket and no one expects it to be, but for what it is, how well does it perform. I was thinking about buying an 05 cavalier before but spent my money on a quad instead. And i plan to sell my quad (suzuki lt-z400) and buy a car soon. The cobalt seems like a perfect candidate and any input at all would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, for performance, i would eventually add a CAI or SRI, magnaflow catback, and a few other goodies.

once again any input at all would help me so much. I will be going for a test drive once the 07's reach the lots in a couple months. so until then i am relying on this forum.

end of rant
Old 05-22-2006, 10:05 PM

look in my garage for my mods. its great and i'm sitting on the 16"s from the sport package with the pirelli tires and they rock. i did have the 15" continentals and they sucked. wet traction was horrible, snow they'll kill you, they hate lateral g's and they chirp off the line like little chicken babies. the pirells are the complete opposite. as for peformane my setup gives me great throttle response, sounds good and handles well. i've walked 2 grand am gt's and inched a ford sho out, smoked a lumina and got beat by 2 2005 cobalt coupes one stock the other with an injen sri. the cobalt coupe stock was when i had just my catback. as far as handles, the steering is tight and responsive and i can pull 50mph on and off highway ramps labeled for 30mph without the tires breaking loose. i can attribute that to the aid of the strut bar. hope i helped some. hey check out my cardomain page and take a look at my ride.

....shameless plug.

edit: i got my ass handed to me by a 2006 altima 3.5.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
let me give you some of my history. i don't do new cars really... not for sport use. i've gotten down on an alfa romeo, first gen MR2, a 4AG powered geo and now a 1981 320i. the issue with older cars in florida is.... A/C doesn't cool enough, engines run too hot, no power windows or cruise... all that on top of 22 MPG combined doesn't really make for a fun daily driver. bear in mind that i have a company car and i only use my personal cars for groceries or fun.

with that said, i decided to buy a new car because a lot of drives in central florida are an hour or more and i want some 21st century toys. my requirements were... good AC, quiet enough at 70, normal power accessories and cruise. i looked at all your usual suspects... i was not out for a sports car really, but if it had some aftermarket support that'd be super. what i liked about the cobalt was that it A had really good power for the class, and it didn't feel like a "small car" when it drove.

the civic is ugly inside and it really is rather gutless with the AC on. the sentra is just too plain unless you get an SE-R, AND the 1.8 is gutless. the suzuki was okay but it's too much like a small mini van driving. i refuse to drive a neon. the hyundai was actually not too bad but when shifting i didn't feel like the lever was attached to anything. the focus also wasn't bad but i'm not big on hatchbacks and it was kinda buzzy sounding on the highway. the mazda 3 was also okay, but it was too "high tech" looking. the corolla i really liked and it drove pretty well, but the two dealers i went to were not willing to budge on the sticker because it was a popular model that i wanted (one dealer wanted to RAISE it $1900).

the cobalt really felt the most rounded. with the salesgirl, my dad, my sister and me in the car, it never felt like it was fighting to move with the AC on. it's sporty enough looking without being all boy racer. it felt like a smaller chevrolet but not like a wind up toy car. the engine is typical GM smooth, although it could use a little more engine roar. so, i looked at all the models.

SS S/C. blast to drive, insurance was WAY out of my range and honestly, 22k the way i wanted it was out of the question for what i had in mind... saving fuel

SS 2.4 i liked the look of the car, but honestly it didn't feel that much faster. maybe that's just me, but it only felt quicker above 4000 on the tach and i don't usually drive there.

LS uhhh, the 2005 LS' were nice, the 06s are basically the base model and i want like... power windows like a real car.

LT ding ding ding we have a winner, FYI getting a 2 door 5 speed 2LT was a BITCH.

Last edited by joeworkstoohard; 05-23-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:27 PM

I love mine. They are quick little cars, they handle great, look sporty, and girls love em. They're good on gas too, perfect car in my mind.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:32 PM

I had the 2.2 for 2 days as a loaner while I waited for my 2.4 SS. I have to say that the 2.2 is not bad at all stock.

Not an owner, but that was my experience.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:50 PM

i have to correct my post and i now have a 2.4, lol.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:21 AM

I have an 06' Victory Red LS coupe 5spd. have had the car since the middle of march, and nothing but smiles on my face from the car, its a great car.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:23 AM

i had the 2.2 in my 04 cav.. its decent, in my opinion id go for the 2.4 which isnt that much more than a fully loaded ls coupe or what not.. but if money is an issue the 2.2 is probably one of the peppiest engines out there.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:34 AM

The 2.2 is more than adaquate. Our first Pursuit (Cobalt) which we still have is an auto 4 door. I honestly wasn't impressed with the power at first but 5000kms later with the engine broken in, it's pretty decent.

I test drove a 2.2 Pursuit SE before I purchased my GT. As Joe says above, the 2.2 and 2.4 VVT feel very similar until about 4000rpm.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:03 AM

Tiny's post pretty much summed it up...I have no complaints with my '05 LS and I've offically had it a year as of today . For what I use it for it has more than enough go and it's as good on gas as can be expected especially since I drive it pretty hard. As was said, make sure you upgrade to the 16" rims/tires since it seems in everyone's past experience it's more than worth the money for both ride quality and traction.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:45 AM

I've had mine almost a month (info in sig) and it's my fav car of the 3 I've owned. I had a 93 Corsica 3.1 V6 and it had seen it's days! 01 Sunfire with the 2.4, and mine seems faster than it (have the 2.2). Now, the Cobalt.

I had an 04 Colorado, but that was a truck, and for my first, it was ok, but had it's flaws. the Cobalt is better in every way over all 3 of my previous vehicles! Just wish there was more for the 2.2 performance wise!
Old 05-25-2006, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by chevyracing19
Can some 2.2 owners please give me a short write up basically summarizing the performance of a 2.2 cobalt? I know it's no rocket and no one expects it to be, but for what it is, how well does it perform. I was thinking about buying an 05 cavalier before but spent my money on a quad instead. And i plan to sell my quad (suzuki lt-z400) and buy a car soon. The cobalt seems like a perfect candidate and any input at all would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, for performance, i would eventually add a CAI or SRI, magnaflow catback, and a few other goodies.

once again any input at all would help me so much. I will be going for a test drive once the 07's reach the lots in a couple months. so until then i am relying on this forum.

end of rant
honestly, if you're going to add a CAI and a catback, buy the 2.4. it'll have more power than those mods will give you on a 2.2 and probably not be that much diff in the total price. that's what sold me on it.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:08 AM

well tonite i was driving and there was this toyota driving 40 in a 50 zone (km/h)..... i wait till its clear so i can pass. Then i saw the gap and i nailed the gas. i actually scared myself for a second by the way i get pushed back into the seat (been driving it for a year). The next thing i know im going 70 already!

my car is still stock performance wise

its not race car performance but it can be surprisingly peppy around town .....as long as you keep the AC off

with intake, headers, exhaust, id say you'll be much quicker than a lot of cars on the road
Old 05-25-2006, 05:21 AM

Exclamation

I have the 2.2 in my cav I got sick of bullshiting around wiht it so I threw a ZEX kit on it. Runs low 9s in the 1/8th now
Old 05-25-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by joeworkstoohard
let me give you some of my history. i don't do new cars really... not for sport use. i've gotten down on an alfa romeo, first gen MR2, a 4AG powered geo and now a 1981 320i. the issue with older cars in florida is.... A/C doesn't cool enough, engines run too hot, no power windows or cruise... all that on top of 22 MPG combined doesn't really make for a fun daily driver. bear in mind that i have a company car and i only use my personal cars for groceries or fun.

with that said, i decided to buy a new car because a lot of drives in central florida are an hour or more and i want some 21st century toys. my requirements were... good AC, quiet enough at 70, normal power accessories and cruise. i looked at all your usual suspects... i was not out for a sports car really, but if it had some aftermarket support that'd be super. what i liked about the cobalt was that it A had really good power for the class, and it didn't feel like a "small car" when it drove.

the civic is ugly inside and it really is rather gutless with the AC on. the sentra is just too plain unless you get an SE-R, AND the 1.8 is gutless. the suzuki was okay but it's too much like a small mini van driving. i refuse to drive a neon. the hyundai was actually not too bad but when shifting i didn't feel like the lever was attached to anything. the focus also wasn't bad but i'm not big on hatchbacks and it was kinda buzzy sounding on the highway. the mazda 3 was also okay, but it was too "high tech" looking. the corolla i really liked and it drove pretty well, but the two dealers i went to were not willing to budge on the sticker because it was a popular model that i wanted (one dealer wanted to RAISE it $1900).

the cobalt really felt the most rounded. with the salesgirl, my dad, my sister and me in the car, it never felt like it was fighting to move with the AC on. it's sporty enough looking without being all boy racer. it felt like a smaller chevrolet but not like a wind up toy car. the engine is typical GM smooth, although it could use a little more engine roar. so, i looked at all the models.

SS S/C. blast to drive, insurance was WAY out of my range and honestly, 22k the way i wanted it was out of the question for what i had in mind... saving fuel

SS 2.4 i liked the look of the car, but honestly it didn't feel that much faster. maybe that's just me, but it only felt quicker above 4000 on the tach and i don't usually drive there.

LS uhhh, the 2005 LS' were nice, the 06s are basically the base model and i want like... power windows like a real car.

LT ding ding ding we have a winner, FYI getting a 2 door 5 speed 2LT was a BITCH.
The A/C is best in it's class for sure. Been in the 90's here recently with a lot of humidity, crank it up to 4 for about 5 minutes or so then drop it back down to 1 to maintain, works great.

However the Mazda 3's have fewer problems. (a lot fewer) the interior quality and fit is better, but their Manual controlled A/C sucks butt. Gotta get the auto-climate system if you want A/C in that car.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:20 PM

I agree with everyone else, as soon as the A/C or defrost is on it is a MAJOR drain on the performance of the vehicle though not quite as extreme as I remember in my 98 Cavy. On the other hand, as Jokieman said it works really well and cools the car off quickly so I figure it's an even trade-off.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by jokieman
The A/C is best in it's class for sure. Been in the 90's here recently with a lot of humidity, crank it up to 4 for about 5 minutes or so then drop it back down to 1 to maintain, works great.

However the Mazda 3's have fewer problems. (a lot fewer) the interior quality and fit is better, but their Manual controlled A/C sucks butt. Gotta get the auto-climate system if you want A/C in that car.
really? i thought its the crappiest around.....my bro's 03 civic beats it hands down

during warm days i had to keep the fan constantly at 2. if i park the car under the sun for 2 hours on hot days, ill have to blast it at 4 the whole time.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinPIE
really? i thought its the crappiest around.....my bro's 03 civic beats it hands down

during warm days i had to keep the fan constantly at 2. if i park the car under the sun for 2 hours on hot days, ill have to blast it at 4 the whole time.
I drive in AZ under 105 degree sun, and still don't need more than 2 on the fan...perhaps you should have had it looked at?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car is great go buy one.

Buy Domestic.

Nuff Said.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:43 PM

They have enough guts to be not-boring, but if you want something really quick... get something else.