2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2 Recommended air filter size? Header raspiness

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2.2 Recommended air filter size? Header raspiness

YOOOO Quick question, running a 3" CAI any suggestions / preference on what size cone filter to pop on that? I had a beefy fujita that came w/ my intake, but I just replaced w/ a K&N. Is bigger better?

Also I just got my header / dp through zzp installed today and yes the gains are pretty noticeable but I do not however like the new sound. Its too damn raspy, any suggestions to help me get rid of that rasp sound i get when accelerating. I really need to quiet my exhaust down.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

You have an exhaust leak probably. after you start the car and bring it up to operating temp, retorque the header bolts. Also do you have a Cat in your new downpipe?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What copson said, and....what catback do you have? Do you still have a resonator?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Does the DP have a CAT? if it doesn't then that's the problem. Resonator in the exhaust and muffler have a lot to do with Rasp too. My exhaust leaks sounds like someone spitting when I let off the gas.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Well .. The header DOES have a cat. It was professionally installed. It was torqued down fine. It has more frickin bolts than most v6's i've seen lol. Its just above like 4 k on the tach its loud and raspy.

Any suggestions on the air filter?

I am going to wait for a chilly morning and look under the car for smoke coming out of the joins and connectors, but I'm pretty sure its not leaking as it was installed professionally and checked. I have a Magnaflow 2.5" Catback exhaust. There is still a resonator before the muffler.

Last edited by RyanRacer48; 09-30-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-30-2008, 01:58 PM

Welcome to the world of aftermarket exhaust. Its hard to find one thats not raspy above 4K. A rule of thumb though is the longer the resonator the quieter and lower tone you get. Also even though you say you had your header pro installed still check all the bolts and connections. I don't know how many times I've had work done at shops and had loose bolts after words. As far as the air filter goes just use the same size that came with your CAI.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Well i put K&N AIR FILTER Round Straight Universal # RB-0910 on instead of the large one that came w/ my CAI. Any possibilities this is causing any of the louder conditions?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RyanRacer48
Well .. The header DOES have a cat. It was professionally installed. It was torqued down fine. It has more frickin bolts than most v6's i've seen lol. Its just above like 4 k on the tach its loud and raspy.

I am going to wait for a chilly morning and look under the car for smoke coming out of the joins and connectors, but I'm pretty sure its not leaking as it was installed professionally and checked. I have a Magnaflow 2.5" Catback exhaust. There is still a resonator before the muffler.
they come loose, and need to be re-torqued.

as far as sound, you can always have a bigger resonator or muffler put in. i have the same setup, zzp and magnaflow, and mine's not raspy.

what size header/downpipe did you get?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:58 PM

1 1/2 primaries, 2.5 dp w/ high flow cat ..

I dont get it tho, it was raspy when i first started it . After my mechanic put it on, let it heat up and retorqued it.

Last edited by RyanRacer48; 09-30-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 PM

your intake could be part of the sound. They are loud in themselves.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 PM

Well Cobalt, I did put on a much smaller filter than what was on before but I doubt that plays a big roll in exhaust noise.

I had the intake and cat back exhaust on prior to this and it was pretty damn quiet... Now it kinda sounds like a car w/ no cat attached at all.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 PM

I would recommend the AEM Dryflow Synthetic Filter
Part# 21-203DK
This is a very high quality filter and I heard that our cars prefer non-oiled filters anyways
Old 10-01-2008, 09:28 AM

i've heard about those dry flow filters. Are they lifetime like the other ones are or just expensive filters you have to replace?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:07 AM

i've heard about those dry flow filters. Are they lifetime like the other ones are or just expensive filters you have to replace?
The AEM Dryflow (21-203DK) is washable and re-usable. I bought one recently for $60 at the auto parts store and it will replace my injen filter on my CAI after it reaches around 30,000 Km
I will not be washing and re-oiling my injen filter.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:35 PM

Any other suggestions on where the raspy'ness is coming from. I had a suggestion from the guy I bought the DP from that it could be the long heat shield that runs along the bottom. Anybody else have the same issue?
Old 10-01-2008, 03:10 PM

If it's a new cat it needs to be broken in properly. Don't drive hard for the first couple hundred miles or so. Once the carbon has a chance to build up in the cat the raspiness should start to subside. Your filter size should have little to no effect on the raspy exhaust.

Last edited by EvilleCobalt; 10-01-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:40 PM

Word, Imaginary rep to Evil
Old 10-01-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YOOOO Quick question, running a 3" CAI any suggestions / preference on what size cone filter to pop on that? I had a beefy fujita that came w/ my intake, but I just replaced w/ a K&N. Is bigger better?

Also I just got my header / dp through zzp installed today and yes the gains are pretty noticeable but I do not however like the new sound. Its too damn raspy, any suggestions to help me get rid of that rasp sound i get when accelerating. I really need to quiet my exhaust down.
Get a Thrush Turbo muffler.

I have a straight catless exhaust, and it sounded like **** with any muffler I put on it (I tried like 8 different mufflers)

The Thrush Turbo sounds amazing, and I got it from Jegs for only $40 shipped. It's made by Dynomax
Old 10-01-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
Word, Imaginary rep to Evil

You could also get a longer resinator as stated before. I put a 16" resinator on my catback sounds amazing no raspiness at all.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:21 AM

hack abuse. Please record a clip for me .

I'm just confused though considering D4u2Soft claims to have the same setup w/o the rice effect lol.

I cannot find a leak at all, ive tried everything I know from using a pipe to my ear, to starting it up on a chilly morning and looking for exhaust smoke in the air.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 AM

I'm just confused though considering D4u2Soft claims to have the same setup w/o the rice effect

Did you ever consider the fact that exhaust sound is subjective? Not everyone hears the same frequencies at the same intensity, not everyone finds the same frequencies pleasurable. Its highly likely that yours and D4's setup sound exactly the same, just that youre more sensitive to the "rice". Weve all heard cars that we thought sounded like ****, but that someone else loved.
You also maybe expecting a sound level/qualilty/tone that isnt possible with our engine. In the end its a 134ci 4cylinder, no matter what you do to it its never gonna sound like a GTO, its ALWAYS gonna sound like a 4 cylinder
Old 10-02-2008, 11:03 AM

your air filter has nothing to do with the sound your getting.and as far as the raspiness.if everything was installed right, then thats the sound it makes.if its for go and not show, the why should it matter if it sounds rasppy.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:56 PM

Its not even really the term "raspy" that I would best use to describe it. I tried to record a clip but it just doesn't record the part i'm talking about.

Its WAY too loud, i'm talking 3 times louder than my magnaflow exhaust was before. Even at 2.8 k cruising in 5th gear ..it just sounds like theres nothing on after the header.

I covered up my exhaust and tapped the gas a few times and din't hear any hissing sound ( at least that I could hear over the engine )

Theres gotta be a better way to test for leaks.

it sounds KINDA like this .. just a lil cleaner..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tysDk...eature=related

Last edited by RyanRacer48; 10-02-2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Its not even really the term "raspy" that I would best use to describe it. I tried to record a clip but it just doesn't record the part i'm talking about.

Its WAY too loud, i'm talking 3 times louder than my magnaflow exhaust was before. Even at 2.8 k cruising in 5th gear ..it just sounds like theres nothing on after the header.

I covered up my exhaust and tapped the gas a few times and din't hear any hissing sound ( at least that I could hear over the engine )

Theres gotta be a better way to test for leaks.
If its as loud as you claim it to be, then you wouldve found the leak by now.

Headers, larger diameter DP and high flow cats all increase sound, theres nothing you can do about that. Your best bet is probably going to be to go to your local exhaust/fab shop and have them weld in a nice long resonator, this is one ket difference between the 2.2 maganflow exhaust and the 2.0/2.4 exhaust, the bigger SS exhaust has a much larger resonator.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:32 PM

Well when I look up vids on youtube its a combination of what It should sound like .. cuz i do have flow coming out of the exhaust. It still however has that clangy sound. I"m going to be checkin either tonight or saturday about the metal shielding.

Quick Reply: 2.2 Recommended air filter size? Header raspiness