2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2 supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobalt30
not bad at all. jsut as much hp the hanh will prolly be producing w/ their 3500-4k turbo kit. also at gmpartsdirect that supercharger kit costs 2845. so im guessing that pace place is a better deal then our dealerships for those interested.

Indeed, seems like a great deal!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
if you can make between 4-5K in 3 months time and spend every last dime you make for that kit then good for you. but chances are you wont do that and if you do save up for a kit it is going to take you a lengthy amount of time. and being that it is going to take you a while to save up, you may as well make some power from the modifications because I'm seriously willing to bet that for the money, the gains will be disappointing.
during the summer i work a job where i get 1k a week... so it would definitely be possible for me to earn the money for something like that! and it's an easy job... and the gains i doubt would be as disappointing as you think... just wait until one of us 2.2's gets tuned and puts you in your place! i'm sure you won't be thinking "disappointing" then! j/k... but it's not that far-fetched and i'm sure you are aware of that!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:20 AM

so...anyone got an estimate how much the dealership will run me to install one?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by FRIARPOP
so...anyone got an estimate how much the dealership will run me to install one?
i would guess that you would be charged for about 4-6 hours of labour.

if you took the time to study under your hood, you could install it yourself, in as little as 2-3 hours if you are good on the tools. then the only cost would be for the reflash. it isnt a difficult installation.

also, on another note, there have been reports of it not fitting under the Cobalt LS hood because it interferes with a radiator bracket or something (i do find this odd because of its use on the SS/SC). i dont know this from personal experience, but it doesnt sound like it would be a major fix.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by dead_black_balt667
during the summer i work a job where i get 1k a week... so it would definitely be possible for me to earn the money for something like that! and it's an easy job... and the gains i doubt would be as disappointing as you think... just wait until one of us 2.2's gets tuned and puts you in your place! i'm sure you won't be thinking "disappointing" then! j/k... but it's not that far-fetched and i'm sure you are aware of that!
you realize he's got a 2.2 as well that's going to be pretty fun when he's done right?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by slowion2
you realize he's got a 2.2 as well that's going to be pretty fun when he's done right?
yes i realize that... i was just saying!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:07 PM

haha ok, just saying myself, sometimes it sounds like you guys forget we're all on the same team here

personally, I've tossed this idea around myself quite a few times, and it's hard to decide what to do. the Eaton unit is pretty damn impressive, but I like the more linear output of a centrifugal unit or a turbo. then again, they all work, it's just going to come down to what you personally want to do.

I think it's a nice kit and most of the people who will choose it should be happy with the results. I just personally would lean more toward a turbo or centrifugal unit like a Procharger myself.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:16 PM

another thing, superchargers are nice because they are usually easier to install and require less engine management than a turbo would. plus it gives you an excuse to buy a big ass intercooler to mount to show off that you are boosted.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by CivicKiller98
another thing, superchargers are nice because they are usually easier to install and require less engine management than a turbo would. plus it gives you an excuse to buy a big ass intercooler to mount to show off that you are boosted.
that's a big fat negative there buddy, you need just as much management for any sort of mechanical forced induction

often times, it's more of a bitch too because of all the pulley alignment issues and chewing up belts and so forth.

not sure what you're saying about an intercooler, you'd only use that on a centrifugal unit, and it's the same one you'd use with a turbo. you've basically got a belt driven compressor wheel.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:50 PM

that's a big fat negative there buddy, you need just as much management for any sort of mechanical forced induction

often times, it's more of a bitch too because of all the pulley alignment issues and chewing up belts and so forth.

not sure what you're saying about an intercooler, you'd only use that on a centrifugal unit, and it's the same one you'd use with a turbo. you've basically got a belt driven compressor wheel.
ok let me clarify, there is usually less to no ADDITIONAL engine management with throwing on a supercharger, this is due to low boost. you rarely see a supercharger on a 4 cyl running more than 15 psi. no wastegate, no blow off, boost gauge maybe, A/F ratio taken care of with the reflash.

pulley allignment issues? no more than you would have replacing an alternator or any other belt driven devices on an engine.

what i was saying about the intercooler was you could have a reason to show it off if you had any type of boost. a centrifugal unit does generate more heat due to higher rpms, which is why it is practically necessary, but intercoolers arent solely for turbos/centrifugal units. hell the SS/SC uses an aftercooler setup.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by CivicKiller98
ok let me clarify, there is usually less to no ADDITIONAL engine management with throwing on a supercharger, this is due to low boost. you rarely see a supercharger on a 4 cyl running more than 15 psi. no wastegate, no blow off, boost gauge maybe, A/F ratio taken care of with the reflash.

pulley allignment issues? no more than you would have replacing an alternator or any other belt driven devices on an engine.

what i was saying about the intercooler was you could have a reason to show it off if you had any type of boost. a centrifugal unit does generate more heat due to higher rpms, which is why it is practically necessary, but intercoolers arent solely for turbos/centrifugal units. hell the SS/SC uses an aftercooler setup.
sorry, but the reflash you're talking about is a means of management, that's different from putting a supercharger on an engine and calling it a day. I'm sure ignition is also taken care of with the flash. if it's a positive displacement blower, you don't need a BOV, and honestly you don't need an air bypass valve (I'm assuming this is what you mean by wastegate since they do essentially the same thing only one is with exhaust gas diversion and the other by bleeding off compressed air) in most setups.

not every engine is like the Ecotec. and depending on the supercharger style, you may need a bracket to mount it, which can have alignment issues

the centrifugal unit isn't the only one to generate heat, all of them do. compressing the air increases the charge temps. I see what you're saying, but it just didn't click when I read your statement. any time you can cool the air temp of course yeah go for it, but there are non-intercooled kits out. I'm just glad that GM went with an aftercooler setup for the LSJ.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:32 PM

sorry, but the reflash you're talking about is a means of management, that's different from putting a supercharger on an engine and calling it a day. I'm sure ignition is also taken care of with the flash. if it's a positive displacement blower, you don't need a BOV, and honestly you don't need an air bypass valve (I'm assuming this is what you mean by wastegate since they do essentially the same thing only one is with exhaust gas diversion and the other by bleeding off compressed air) in most setups.
i agree, the reflash is the means of management, but we are referring to engine management of a supercharged engine versus a turbocharged engine, and a simple reflash on the PCM on the supercharged is a lot easier than the tuning required for a turbo as a simple reflash would probably not be available.
on turbo's you have blow off valves, wastegates (or bypass valves) that need to be controlled, usually by means of an extra engine management system.
thus my point, there is typically less engine management needed for a supercharged engine than a turbocharged engine.
not every engine is like the Ecotec. and depending on the supercharger style, you may need a bracket to mount it, which can have alignment issues
i agree that allignment issues could be a problem with some superchargers, but in this case, i dont see any problems.
I'm just glad that GM went with an aftercooler setup for the LSJ.
me too, the only shitty thing is that i dont have an LSJ
Old 04-13-2006, 02:34 PM

I wouldn't say that's entirely shitty

I like having a 2.2 that runs with LSJ's myself
Old 04-13-2006, 02:36 PM

I wouldn't say that's entirely shitty

I like having a 2.2 that runs with LSJ's myself
i'd like that too, but work has me swamped busy until mid summer, no time to actually put the work in on my car
Old 04-13-2006, 06:44 PM

250 hp.......? From a 2.2 Supercharger....? I thought your only getting 200 hp,....unless it comes with some extras.....
Old 04-13-2006, 11:27 PM

According to the manufacturing company the 2.2 ecotech supercharging kit will boost the hp from 145 to 250. For some reason the link doesnt work now.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Link
250 hp.......? From a 2.2 Supercharger....? I thought your only getting 200 hp,....unless it comes with some extras.....
havent looked into it too much but could the 200 hp figure be at the wheels?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by dead_black_balt667
to see great gains from that kit is a little far fetched to me...for one its made by GM so its going to be on the conservative side. and two, honestly those roots style blowers don't make all that great of power on a small displacement 4 cyl engine. Its hard to make good power out of them without alot of boost and we can't throw a lotta boost at them with our stock bottom end.

if you ever look at a supercharger kit like the JRSC that uses this style blower, they always have lower numbers (and especially torque) than other FI options. On 6-7 psi I'd bet on like 200 crank HP. Which is not BAD but I'd put a 75shot up against it anyday.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one thing i noticed is that it says it fits 03-05 cavy and sunfire but nothing about the cobalt....are we sure that it will fit the cobalt......i am considering this as a possibility due to comin into some money over the summer and i would like to know that it will in fact fit the cobalt before i comitt
Old 04-15-2006, 12:21 PM

to my knowledge it had already been said that it wouldn't fit and that there is a specific cobalt kit that is supposed to come out some day.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
to see great gains from that kit is a little far fetched to me...for one its made by GM so its going to be on the conservative side. and two, honestly those roots style blowers don't make all that great of power on a small displacement 4 cyl engine. Its hard to make good power out of them without alot of boost and we can't throw a lotta boost at them with our stock bottom end.

if you ever look at a supercharger kit like the JRSC that uses this style blower, they always have lower numbers (and especially torque) than other FI options. On 6-7 psi I'd bet on like 200 crank HP. Which is not BAD but I'd put a 75shot up against it anyday.
i know that i probably can't get great gains from this kit... i never even said that i was going to purchase this kit. if i have a say in any of this i'm gonna wait until a centrifugal s/c comes out... however, there's no telling when that will be! but just the thought of one is enough to get me excited! i would definitely love to see one soon though! but for the price of the gm kit and the gains from it... i definitely would not be one to purchase it!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by cashstacker
Agreed. I have no problem with the 2.2 trying to build it up, but you need to realize you'll need to buy better rims and tires, possibly a new tranny, I'd imagine youd want to replace the suspension and what not so it handles better, new exhaust, etc. It seems like no one is thinking about what else you would need to replace besides just slapping a blower on there.

Im not trying to argue or cause a ruckus.. but why would you need better rims and tires? Ive talked to the Gm engineers and they said the 16 and 17's outperform the 18 ss wheels anyday. Also I doubt that the suspension will need to be replaced, unless your doing some autocross or something like that. As for exhaust i would probably say it would work but you probably would need at least a 2.5 outlet. I have no idea about they tranny, but according to gms 2.2 ecotech build book the engine and tranny are fine up to 250 hp. Anybody else have something to throw in?