2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2 tuning in the works!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...I think this is really a unreliable tuning "option", you are getting a canned tune basically. I'm not doubting the credibility of the company I just would like to remind everyone of the issues the LSJ guys have/had with "canned" tunes. I just see to many variables to trust a tuner that could possibly be 2000 miles away to be able to adjust settings specific to my car/build/atmosphere/altitude. Plus if they don't have a 2.2 with the specific mods to test/tune/data log on aren't they kinda shooting in the dark, and guessing what it "might" do?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was just talking to Vince who is designing the software for the GT tuner for us, and brought up how everyone would love the software tune like hptuners on a laptop and all, and he really liked the idea.. Right now he was getting some numbers and stuff off the ecus..

I told him that people were a little bit nervous with the gt tuner because of it being more of a general tune and possibly having problems and all.. and brought up boosting with his tune.. He builds conservative tunes that wont be to harsh because of every motor being different.. he does not recommend the tune running on full boost yet..

He didnt gaurentee hptuner like tuning on a laptop, but will be looking into it.. He would have to design the software for the pc and all..

I also explained to him how many people would buy the tuning software over the gt tuner. I gave him everyones opinions and pros and cons.. He will keep me updated and as i keep finding out i will tell you more..

He is still very shocked at everyones huge interest and shocked why know companies steped up yet to build a tuning program for our cars.

Also hes going to be looking to kill the governor and limiters, and have it custom to the way you would like it

Thanks everyone for the opinions and questions.. they were used to ask vince.. have a wonderful weekend everyone, I wont be on much tomorrow as it is my 21st birthday but if anything comes up i will be on and telling you guys if vince calls me
Old 02-16-2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt4Life
Was just talking to Vince who is designing the software for the GT tuner for us, and brought up how everyone would love the software tune like hptuners on a laptop and all, and he really liked the idea.. Right now he was getting some numbers and stuff off the ecus..

I told him that people were a little bit nervous with the gt tuner because of it being more of a general tune and possibly having problems and all.. and brought up boosting with his tune.. He builds conservative tunes that wont be to harsh because of every motor being different.. he does not recommend the tune running on full boost yet..

He didnt gaurentee hptuner like tuning on a laptop, but will be looking into it.. He would have to design the software for the pc and all..

I also explained to him how many people would buy the tuning software over the gt tuner. I gave him everyones opinions and pros and cons.. He will keep me updated and as i keep finding out i will tell you more..

He is still very shocked at everyones huge interest and shocked why know companies steped up yet to build a tuning program for our cars.

Also hes going to be looking to kill the governor and limiters, and have it custom to the way you would like it

Thanks everyone for the opinions and questions.. they were used to ask vince.. have a wonderful weekend everyone, I wont be on much tomorrow as it is my 21st birthday but if anything comes up i will be on and telling you guys if vince calls me
Happy Birthday!!!
I will be meeting with vince about this as well...since i am the local one witht eh 06 ecu...we will be working closely to get these problems solved. please keep posting the questions for vince and dan and we will all work to get them answered and hopefully get a reliable product in the works.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:53 PM

I thought you had the e37?? thought you were a 07 model?? lol oops

Looks like hes got a lot done so far..

EDIT: Thanks for the bday wishes
Old 02-16-2008, 04:55 PM

I thought you had the e37?? thought you were a 07 model?? lol oops

Looks like hes got a lot done so far..

EDIT: Thanks for the bday wishes
yup, im in an 06 manual lol vince knows that though.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:58 PM

When he told me today about maybe coming out with software like hptuners i jumped even higher on the excitement wagon then the beginning lol.. he said if more people want the software hed look into it heavily..

I am really glad that clear image and vince are doing this.. We barely even had to ask them and they did it instantly, and know other company gave us a chance.. clear image and vince show how a good company is.. they give us the time of day

YAY clearimage and Vince!!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:14 PM

I would only be interested if it was a software based tuning solution. Living where I do I would not want to rely on somebody thousands of miles away at a different altitude and different environment trying to tune my car.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:15 PM

ya never know you may see that solution coming
Old 02-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Computer tuning FTW. Send a CD and a cable.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:23 PM

Should only get the govener removed if you have better tires. I believe the stock tires are only rated to 115mph, so if you remove the govener and exceed that speed, BOOM, bye bye tires, flippy, flippy, dead...
Old 02-17-2008, 04:34 PM

I ight just keep my balt if this works.

Im going to have cams (for n20), 2.4l intake mani, injen CAI, SMS header/downpipe combo, and corsa touring for the 2.0l, and a 85 wet shot of laughing gas. Hoping to push about 250hp with this setup.

and maybe i'll do rods and pistons but probably not.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:37 PM

dont forget about us autos out there....
Old 02-17-2008, 04:42 PM

ya never know you may see that solution coming
well since you get to really talk to em bout all this and your testin what they are workin on ya'll should really try pushin for the software type of tunin.. i would rather full tunin like that then a canned tune but either way it goes i'll end up buyin this though.. im just really glad to see somethin other than a piggy and standalone..

Originally Posted by sick06cobalt
dont forget about us autos out there....
cobalt4life is an auto and he's testin this so they are workin on the auto stuff.. thank god for that cuz i was gettin ready to buy a aem f/ic and really didnt want to do that..

Last edited by yellowltcoupe22; 02-17-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-17-2008, 04:43 PM

lol yeah i know someone getting rid of his for cheap....
Old 02-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by sick06cobalt
lol yeah i know someone getting rid of his for cheap....
lol yeah if i would have already had one i would be gettin rid of it too.. probalbly just give it away cuz i'd be so happy that i would be able to tune without it...
Old 02-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Where are Clear Image and Trifecta located? I'd prefer a custom tune of course, but if theyre too far 'll take canned.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 PM

dude its gunna be like HPT maybe... so there wont be a canned tune per say
Old 02-17-2008, 05:22 PM

yeah cobalt4life said they were considering makin it a software tune like hptuners.. lets just hope they will cuz thats really what i want too.. but if its just canned i'll take that too..
Old 02-17-2008, 05:47 PM

Fugg canned, A cd and OBD-II/USB is all I would consider.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by tonio5555
Where are Clear Image and Trifecta located? I'd prefer a custom tune of course, but if theyre too far 'll take canned.
They are located in kent wa, which is about 20 min from seattle wa in the pacific north west...

Originally Posted by yellowltcoupe22
well since you get to really talk to em bout all this and your testin what they are workin on ya'll should really try pushin for the software type of tunin.. i would rather full tunin like that then a canned tune but either way it goes i'll end up buyin this though.. im just really glad to see somethin other than a piggy and standalone..

cobalt4life is an auto and he's testin this so they are workin on the auto stuff.. thank god for that cuz i was gettin ready to buy a aem f/ic and really didnt want to do that..
I will speak with him...

Last edited by NWAE Cobalt; 02-17-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-17-2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt
I will speak with him...
thanks man it would be much appreciated..
Old 02-17-2008, 08:08 PM

UPDATE FOR YOU ALL
I spoke with Vince today. He said he has located what he is looking for table wise in our computers....so he is going to get with me this week to start testing some tunes on a running car Him and I are going to work a lil bit on getting that all solved, then he will work on finding other stuff on the computer...such as gov and limiters.... then him and I will Dyno tune my car and test that...then comes the auto portion of the tune (just updating that) and he will be set to start selling.. Things are coming along quite quickly and I should have some updates for you soon on how, and what will be done

Old 02-17-2008, 08:20 PM

sounds great man.. cant wait to see the out come of this..
Old 02-17-2008, 08:27 PM

Ill be goin over to Cobalt4life's when he gets this. We live about 5 mins from each other.

But what Id really like to see is a software version like HPtuners so I can take it to a dyno and work from there.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by DebadgedBALT77
Ill be goin over to Cobalt4life's when he gets this. We live about 5 mins from each other.

But what Id really like to see is a software version like HPtuners so I can take it to a dyno and work from there.
I know, that would be the best result, but this is a start, maybe if there is interest then Vince will get it done for us, or if he cannot, maybe some other tuning company will take charge when they realize that this is big money for them!!
I will discuss it with him this weekend.

Quick Reply: 2.2 tuning in the works!!