2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2 tuning in the works!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wont be overly upset if they dont it would just be real nice to be able to tune "on the fly" without having to wait a week or so to get the tuner. but im glad there at least giving it a shot

but a software pakage would be nice, since theres a dyno shop just down the road from where I work. And at school!!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:27 PM

Sorry guys that i havnt been on much today it was my 21s birthday and all

I gotta call Vince tomorrow to see whats up and to tell him about halfcents question about power enrichment delay if Tom hasnt yet

I have been pushing for the CD/cable tune and he does sound interested, he probably wants to see how well this sells first.. I just still am in shock by the fact they he cracked it under a month without a ton of efford and the fact that us 2.2s will have tuning of all years and types of driving styles ::manual, auto::

Like tom says we also have him known that everyone wants the limiters and stuff gone so he will probably do custom tunes for people who want a further redline or so on

I really want the software tune as well, but a canned tune is better than no tune..

It aint a canned tune though like garretts where if you add something your screwed down the road.. if this would happen to you, youd just call vince and get a updated tune.. at the most youd probably wait a few days to a week still isnt bad considering everyone is still left out of the dark for tuning other than hahn people who just want a turbo and tune..

This saves us a ton of money for people who want just bolt ons and a nice performance tune..
Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 PM

well i cant wait till you get it in your hands josh, then ill come over and see what this is gonna do power wise
Old 02-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Everyone who is worried about your speed limiters needs smacked. IF you guys are pushing a basic tune for that and whatever else this tune may have is a joke. There is no way to get a basic tune PERIOD. If this cant be done as needed its worthless. Hate to tell you but a general tune may be great but the weather, mods, location, driving style, and everything plays into it. If i get a header, dp catback, and intake tune how would the tune act to a AEM intake and custom everything exhaust?

Glad its going somewhere but big companies never pass a chance to grow and make money if its worthwhile?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by shortyhend2004
Everyone who is worried about your speed limiters needs smacked. IF you guys are pushing a basic tune for that and whatever else this tune may have is a joke. There is no way to get a basic tune PERIOD. If this cant be done as needed its worthless. Hate to tell you but a general tune may be great but the weather, mods, location, driving style, and everything plays into it. If i get a header, dp catback, and intake tune how would the tune act to a AEM intake and custom everything exhaust?

Glad its going somewhere but big companies never pass a chance to grow and make money if its worthwhile?
okay, at first it is going to be a canned tune per car. why dont you read a bit first..then get all worked up. This will read your car speifically, and then he will build you a tune...same thing as if you were doing runs with him in the passenger seat...but he just has to send it to you. secondly, he is interested in doing an hptuners style tuner...but he has to make it first. If you read halfcents post...this tune should be able to eliminate your Power Enrichment problem, letting you tune it however and with whatever you want!! This will solve all the basic problems for you...and at least it is getting worked on. if you have a better option or can do the work yourself then more power to you!! otherwise be happy for what we can get....and as i will have a custom tune made with this product by vince himself...as i am the initiall local test car....i will let you know how it works. and a basic cobalt with better tires can go to a higher speed, thats already been determined.
so lets stop all the negativity
Old 02-17-2008, 11:50 PM

this tune is going to be a balanced tune, not just a straight performance tune where the afr is more rich and all..

This tune will be good for all weathers, Vince is of course taking that all into advance as he owns the business and wants to do it right..

The speed limiter is a huge reason in this, as people with turbos and stuff that can use this custom tune can now go past the 108 limiter on the base cobalt..

We are still in the testing phase right now, and Tom will be put on the dyno and will see how it runs..
With the "this wont work attitude" do you expect anyone to build us a tune knowing if everyone thought this way they wouldnt build a tune because they wouldnt make money on it..

I can definately though understand the mindset of weather mods and all.. but this is a custom tune based on what you have.. and we are pressing for a software tune as well so that you have choices.. Everyone wants choices, which is what makes tuning better, more choices to more different styles of tuning..

Even if this tune gives us a tad big more power and more stable and removes limiters on request, to me it would be worth it..

We all just have to be patience and not be negative and give questions that:
People want to know about the product.
What it can support
How it works
Ect
Old 02-17-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
so what's the verdict on raising stock Rev Limiter.

What can they cars handle stock.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:44 AM

Wow I'm glad you guys are so good at this. Im not bashing anyone i did read and I still think this is crazy. There are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many variables that I doubt this "canned tune" can catch. I think its sweet someone is trying to tune the 2.2 but this is just barely above a piggyback. Actually close to even with it. What will be the turn-around time on new tunes? If i have to run my ecu send it back then wait for the tune again that could take weeks? Will there be a cold-weather hot weather tune? 98% of people as it sits will get maybe 5hp from a tune.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:34 AM

Wow I'm glad you guys are so good at this. Im not bashing anyone i did read and I still think this is crazy. There are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many variables that I doubt this "canned tune" can catch. I think its sweet someone is trying to tune the 2.2 but this is just barely above a piggyback. Actually close to even with it. What will be the turn-around time on new tunes? If i have to run my ecu send it back then wait for the tune again that could take weeks? Will there be a cold-weather hot weather tune? 98% of people as it sits will get maybe 5hp from a tune.
I know what you're saying, but the GM Stage tunes are "canned tunes" and they work just fine. As has been said these will be relatively conservative tunes that will be designed to work at all temperatures/elevations etc. I'm confident in them.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tonio5555
I know what you're saying, but the GM Stage tunes are "canned tunes" and they work just fine. As has been said these will be relatively conservative tunes that will be designed to work at all temperatures/elevations etc. I'm confident in them.
people complain all the time about the GM stg t00n, and that "canned tune" is set up for a specific brand of pully/parts... bad things can still happen with "conservative" tunes
Old 02-18-2008, 02:20 AM

You are still very mistaken. Let me see if I can clarify the process at all. Cobalt4life or NWAE, correct me if I make any mistakes here.

In what you would consider a "normal" tuning enviroment, you would have your laptop plugged into your diagnostic port reading your fuel/air/etc allowing you to fine tune it "on-the-fly". You would make the changes and be done.

With the ClearImage system, they can build the most common changes (like rev limiter, power enrichment, etc) on an image to be loaded. Then they can measure the most common results from, say, forced induction of some sort and record whats needed in the tune to accompany it. This is the "canned tune" you are referring to.

I believe I have read they can also pull the diagnostics from your car and have you email them over for fine-tuning. Then they can add thoes tweaks to their future builds recording the variables and applying them when necessary. I have also seen them mention you can have your stock tune and your new tune saved so you can revert back easily if ever needed, or take your tune and add to it using the same process (emailing it or sending it in, them tweaking, and you uploading).

And the last thing to remember is they are dedicating their time and resources to cracking the ecu's and providing us a tune. We should obviously be thankful and support them by using their product, but also realise when we all prove there is a market in providing tunes for our ecu's by supporting ClearImage, the competition is bound to surface. So if you're looking for the laptop in the passenger seat tune, support the guys who are cracking our codes and either they or somebody in the future is bound to provide you what you're looking for.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by James Rayth
You are still very mistaken. Let me see if I can clarify the process at all. Cobalt4life or NWAE, correct me if I make any mistakes here.

In what you would consider a "normal" tuning enviroment, you would have your laptop plugged into your diagnostic port reading your fuel/air/etc allowing you to fine tune it "on-the-fly". You would make the changes and be done.

With the ClearImage system, they can build the most common changes (like rev limiter, power enrichment, etc) on an image to be loaded. Then they can measure the most common results from, say, forced induction of some sort and record whats needed in the tune to accompany it. This is the "canned tune" you are referring to.

I believe I have read they can also pull the diagnostics from your car and have you email them over for fine-tuning. Then they can add thoes tweaks to their future builds recording the variables and applying them when necessary. I have also seen them mention you can have your stock tune and your new tune saved so you can revert back easily if ever needed, or take your tune and add to it using the same process (emailing it or sending it in, them tweaking, and you uploading).

And the last thing to remember is they are dedicating their time and resources to cracking the ecu's and providing us a tune. We should obviously be thankful and support them by using their product, but also realise when we all prove there is a market in providing tunes for our ecu's by supporting ClearImage, the competition is bound to surface. So if you're looking for the laptop in the passenger seat tune, support the guys who are cracking our codes and either they or somebody in the future is bound to provide you what you're looking for.
Thanks for the support on this. You are correct in most points...the file will be started by you recording how your car runs stock. you will send him the unit and file, and he will build you a tune from that and the most common gains and changes made by your mods....then send it back. he can do a custom tune from your car if you can be there...

and thanks again on another point..we need to support them, if there is to be improvements on this, they will come AFTER the initial tune is broken..we need to take baby steps lol, this is the first one, more improvements to come....eventually...maybe lol
Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 AM

The ECU will NEVER have to be sent to them, basically you plug the tuner in, it gets the car info and how things work, unplug it, send it to them, then they make a tune on the tuner and they send you the tuner and you upload see how it works, unplug tuner and send the tuner back..
Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 AM

Right. I hope I didn't make it sound that way. It creates an image of your settings and you send their device (snail) or the image file (email) itself back to them.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this going to handle upgraded Injectors
Old 02-18-2008, 11:49 AM

that's a good question. Have any of the J-body guys benefited by upgrading the fuel injectors and tuning.

I this the above post was probably about F/I
Old 02-18-2008, 12:26 PM

this should be able to handle any modification.. We are still in the testing phases, I wont know much until I get more updates on when Toms car is Dyno tested and ran..
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 PM

I just want to raise my speed limiter from 105.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by DallasCobalt
I just want to raise my speed limiter from 105.
Why you will not make it there in the 1/4 mile? Why not increase your rev limiter to say 7000 instead of the governor? its more practical.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
Why you will not make it there in the 1/4 mile? Why not increase your rev limiter to say 7000 instead of the governor? its more practical.
why not is more of the question.. lol. if he wants it moved then whatever lol
Old 02-18-2008, 03:35 PM

if you an do it, then whyyy not do it. Id do it just cause I can. and sometimes i feel like trying to go a little faster then 105. although i very very very rarely see anything over 85 mph
Old 02-18-2008, 03:36 PM

Yeah I think the governer is kind of a necessity. Might as well get it out of the way too. I would really like to know about a raised rev limiter. Is it possible without upgrades or not feasible.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:01 PM

Necessity? ...lol. I guess? how often would you go 105+? In the 2.2 with out F/I doesn't it take a while to actually get to 105? Doesn't it take like, years to get going that faster than 105ish in these vehicles?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR
Necessity? ...lol. I guess? how often would you go 105+? In the 2.2 with out F/I doesn't it take a while to actually get to 105? Doesn't it take like, years to get going that faster than 105ish in these vehicles?
no...it does not take THAT long....
Old 02-18-2008, 07:23 PM

I can hit my limiter in less than 20 seconds, I know it is by no means fast but hell it is better than a minivan. :P

Quick Reply: 2.2 tuning in the works!!