2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2 turbo piggyback ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
Actually you can use it as a fuel/ignition standalone and retain all your stock functions. If you put a 12ohm resister in the injector harness the car thinks the stock injectors are there and you can run the larger ones off the MS. The ignition part is a bit more complicated and not worth it really. i would just use an smt6 to control timing and the ms for fuel.
You can't hook the squirt up as an ignition controller and still have your stock bcm connected as well.

You can hook it up as a fuel controller the way you said... but if all you want is a fuel controller then just go with the piggybacks you mentioned
Old 09-16-2007, 11:05 PM

You can hook up both. Its been done. And full control with ms and spark is pretty easy on the stock sensor system. Full ignition and fuel isnt as hard as most would think. But then again I have been installing mega squirt for three years as a standalone on many cars. Sometimes you tend to forget how hard it was in the beginning.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys are perhaps getting away from larger issue here. You are now talking stacking multiple control units to operate different parts. Honestly, that's nuts. Will those idea work? Sure, but practicality needs to be a consideration. We are talking about a streetable, user-friendly solution for a turbo kit. Not a Frankenstein.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltPerformanceParts
You can hook up both. Its been done. And full control with ms and spark is pretty easy on the stock sensor system. Full ignition and fuel isnt as hard as most would think. But then again I have been installing mega squirt for three years as a standalone on many cars. Sometimes you tend to forget how hard it was in the beginning.
so it WILL work? I tried it on my neon and it didn't work at all(possibly because of my ct wheel setup).

So using that setup doesn't throw any codes? at least one's that would be caused by the megasquirt?

edit: I'm talking about using it in conjunction with the stock bcm. I already know about hooking it up as a full standalone

Originally Posted by Halfcent
You guys are perhaps getting away from larger issue here. You are now talking stacking multiple control units to operate different parts. Honestly, that's nuts. Will those idea work? Sure, but practicality needs to be a consideration. We are talking about a streetable, user-friendly solution for a turbo kit. Not a Frankenstein.
hooking up a megasquirt as a standalone really isn't that hard as long as you get a pre-made wiring harness and pre-built squirt. Running it is perfectly streetable as long as you tune it right. You wouldn't pass emmissions... but that's already been stated. Personally I live in a state that doesn't have emmissions/inspections, so I don't really care about throwing codes.

Last edited by Novajoe; 09-16-2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-17-2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Novajoe
so it WILL work? I tried it on my neon and it didn't work at all(possibly because of my ct wheel setup).

So using that setup doesn't throw any codes? at least one's that would be caused by the megasquirt?

edit: I'm talking about using it in conjunction with the stock bcm. I already know about hooking it up as a full standalone

Well its not for the everyday joe that is for sure. Halfcent is right in that matter for sure. As far as a daily driver. Megasquirt can be used as a daily driver. I run it on my track/everyday car. Many people do in this area. However there is no way I would suggest it to someone that has never attempted a standalone setup. Its not user friendly to someone just starting into something like that. The aem FIC is much easier but still a pita for someone never attempting that. As far as keeping the stock ecu in conjunction to the ms it is possible but not a fun chore. There is lots of ecu sensor tricking that you have to do and hours of sitting there like a electronic lab mouse with a oscilloscope. Faking out some of the senors to keep it from throwing codes is a huge pita. The optimal setup is just to run it as a standalone in speed density and ditch all the gm stuff. If you do it like that you can still have the stock ecu hooked up for all the lil door chimes and all the other bs the ecu controls.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltPerformanceParts
Well its not for the everyday joe that is for sure. Halfcent is right in that matter for sure. As far as a daily driver. Megasquirt can be used as a daily driver. I run it on my track/everyday car. Many people do in this area. However there is no way I would suggest it to someone that has never attempted a standalone setup. Its not user friendly to someone just starting into something like that. The aem FIC is much easier but still a pita for someone never attempting that. As far as keeping the stock ecu in conjunction to the ms it is possible but not a fun chore. There is lots of ecu sensor tricking that you have to do and hours of sitting there like a electronic lab mouse with a oscilloscope. Faking out some of the senors to keep it from throwing codes is a huge pita. The optimal setup is just to run it as a standalone in speed density and ditch all the gm stuff. If you do it like that you can still have the stock ecu hooked up for all the lil door chimes and all the other bs the ecu controls.
That's the only way I've done. Only problem is the bcm throws a laundry list of codes and you'd never get it through an emmissions that checks for a MIL
Old 09-17-2007, 12:44 AM

Emissions there is not much hope for that. Unless they only do a sniffer test. We dont have any testing here so we are ok.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
halfcent...i was curious if you could shoot an email to AEM (im ignored on the forums...you might get a better response since your a mod of a forum of potential buyers)

if you would be so kind, as them if/when theyplan on making a plug and play wiring harness for the coby
Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm old school

I called them on that question once already. Customer service has no idea of future production schedules.

Novajoe: You keep referring to the BCM as if it has something to do with running the engine. The Cobalt has a separate BCM and ECM (and TCM if you have an automatic) that communicate with each other over a network. If you remove the stock ECM and try to use a stand alone for just the engine ignition and fuel, the car will basically stop working. The stock ECM controls a slew of additional other things in the Cobalt that no stand alone does, including;

The computer controlled engine start
power steering
cruise control
the instrument cluster
the transmission (if you have an auto, it is the master device to the TCM slave)

The point I'm trying to make is what is being horribly overlooked here. If you remove the factory ECM in favor of ANYTHING else, you no longer have a streetable car. You can in get the car to run, but you are now building a race car, that will require MANY other modifications.

The original poster wants a turbo for his 2007. That's all. And the right way to do that is a simple piggyback.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah the piggy back deffently seems like the way to go
u know when looking on aem the other day it specificly said it is tested and works on the cobalts.
So that is a good thing, I would like the full haun kit, but i dont even know if they are working on the 2007 2.2 ecu's for a kit.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm old school

Neither the Hahn kit or the Garrett kit will work for a 2007 L61. Specifically, the Garrett kit is the one you want, which is for the L61, while the Hahn kit is for the LE5.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Neither the Hahn kit or the Garrett kit will work for a 2007 L61. Specifically, the Garrett kit is the one you want, which is for the L61, while the Hahn kit is for the LE5.
hahn has the same kit that garret does for the 2.2 also...and they sell it for $200 less
garrets got a 2.2 kit, and hahn has the same 2.2, and a 2.4 kit
Old 09-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do realize that megasquirt is a end-user built, stand alone system, right? It would replace the stock ECM. And it only controls fuel, not ignition. And if you use a stand alone computer in a Cobalt, that will really screw the car up. A pre-manufactured piggy back unit like the SMT or AEM units are the way to go.
Actually. you CAN use the Megasquirt in what I call a "semi-standalone" mode so that the stock ECM is retained to handle the various duties the MS cant function with (speedometer/VSS, instrumentation, data comms etc) you just need to wire it correctly, add a couple of diodes in some "Y'd" circuits and trick a few other circuits (injectors for one) into thinking everyhting is hunky-dorey

But the MS is totally an "open-source" type project with zero direct support. However the people on the frums over there are pretty quick to help.
I think I posted some of the basic instructions for piggy backing an MS onto an L61/LE5 on the msforums a couple years back.
Try searching for WopOnTour

Wop
Old 09-17-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm old school

Hahn is just retailing the Garrett kit. It is still Garrett's kit.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:32 PM

I called them on that question once already. Customer service has no idea of future production schedules.

Novajoe: You keep referring to the BCM as if it has something to do with running the engine. The Cobalt has a separate BCM and ECM (and TCM if you have an automatic) that communicate with each other over a network. If you remove the stock ECM and try to use a stand alone for just the engine ignition and fuel, the car will basically stop working. The stock ECM controls a slew of additional other things in the Cobalt that no stand alone does, including;

The computer controlled engine start
power steering
cruise control
the instrument cluster
the transmission (if you have an auto, it is the master device to the TCM slave)

The point I'm trying to make is what is being horribly overlooked here. If you remove the factory ECM in favor of ANYTHING else, you no longer have a streetable car. You can in get the car to run, but you are now building a race car, that will require MANY other modifications.

The original poster wants a turbo for his 2007. That's all. And the right way to do that is a simple piggyback.
I already knew all this. I'm not the best at always using the right terms though.

bcm-base control module- mainly the head of all the control modules. the brain of the body. links to the following:

pcm- powertrain control module- controls the powertrain(engine)
tcm- trans control module- controls the trans
abs control module- duh
power steering control module
vats
EVAC control module- Since we got rid of using vaccume powered a/c vents and such...
there's probably more that I can't think of. But there's actually alot of different computers in our cars.

You can wire the megasquirt up so that you don't lose ANY functions. It's really not that hard. You can hook the squirt up to a completely stock car if you really wanted to and have it run fine if you tune it right. You're mil lights gonna be on though. And while it's probably not the best install for a beginner... it's not exactly reserved for master tech use only
Old 09-17-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm old school

BCM in the Cobalts case is Body Control Module.