2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2L build update

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, again, no surpise. The car still isnt done. Gray said that when they got the car back together they heard a metal on metal grinding sound while on the dyno. They took the valve cover back off and seen the chain scraping on the chain guide. As they turned the engine over by hand they seen that the intake cam gear was not seated properly on the cam shaft. After more investigation the keyway on the cam gear was rounded out. I dont know if they are done with it yet, i found this out about 3 days ago. I have a few friends going to pick it up for me when they are done since im out to sea agian.

The good news is while they had it on the dyno it was putting down 149 whp and 132 wtrq. Thats only 3 whp less then my buddies SS/NA.

As soon as i get back ill put up some video/pics and im going to try to get into an autocross in july some time and take a run down the 1/4 mile again.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:32 PM

man, just more and more bad news for me. Well my car is finaly finished, i got to hear it over the phone today and it sounds bad a$$. The new problem is the battery wont hold a charge.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:38 PM

They found out what the problem was finaly yesterday. One of the wires to a sensor was pinched between the motor mount and engine. They fixed it and the car works perfectly. I have duty today so i couldnt pick it up but i get to pick it up in the morning. I soo cant wait to see if she accelerates faster. should be interesting
Old 07-09-2007, 11:29 PM

Well i got the car, there are some ups, and there are some downs. The down side is the reduced engine compression took away some power at launch (cant peal tires out from a dead stop anymore) the good side is she pulls like a son of a beeotch from a 15 mph roll. actually jurks the wheel in my hand. She sounds BADA$$. You can hear her camming good, the exaust is deeper, slightly louder. I shot a video at idle outside my apartment. Haven't done an accel vid or drive by w/ accel and w/out accel yet, didnt have the extra body

Here is the vid and yes i know my rear bumper needs repainted again, lol so dont flame that. Gotta give me a brake just dumped 5.4k into the engine w/ labor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgR4cOAM82o

hope your speakers have decent bass on your computers

i have a complete list of mods done to the engine and what it cost on my cardomain page
Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 AM

slap Garrett's kit on there and represent! congrats!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:51 PM

Question.....is it throwing any codes with those cams in there? Or is it throwing any codes at all?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:28 AM

nope, not throwing any codes at all. I'm not going with the garret. I'm going with the squiars STS remote mount turbo. on 7psi of boost it makes the same HP lvl as a normal mount turbo at 18psi of boost. go to www.ststurbo.com and yes they have already had a cobalt LS with a remote mount turbo on it, they use the SMT-6 5th injector system with their own seperate chamber so that you dont have that big black square box sitting on top of your throtle body. Look under universal kits and scroll through the pictures and you will see the cobalt 2.2 turbo set up there. They have had it on their 2.2L cobalt since they bought the car in 2005
Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I love the idea of the STS remote kit. How much are they asking?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:07 PM

$700 less then the the Garret kit
Old 07-11-2007, 12:20 PM

With that cam upgrade do you think a 75 shot of juice would go good together
Old 07-11-2007, 12:21 PM

You should send it to the shop to get turboed while you're deployed then you will be able to play when you get back.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by FastPace Motorsports
With that cam upgrade do you think a 75 shot of juice would go good together
ive already got a plan for nitrous. I orderd a 2 stage nitrous kit. Stage 1 is for launch which at 3k rmps the 50hp dry shot kicks in and then shuts off at 6k rpms since my car shifts at 6.5k rpms. then when it complets the shift to second stage 2 kicks in (this is the best part) the 50hp dry shot kicks in again but this time a second dose of nitrous is injected, a 75hp wet shot for a total of 125hp shot.

This engine, according to the GM build guide, with all the parts that i have installed is safe to up to a 150 shot system. If i upgrade the crank then i can use a 200hp shot system.

So for now ill just be running the 151 whp that i dynoed at plus the 125hp shot 2 stage system. That should put me some where around 220 whp when on nitrous.

Originally Posted by roccityroller
You should send it to the shop to get turboed while you're deployed then you will be able to play when you get back.
its getting the STS remote turbo system at Christmas time. my buddy that use to work on a drag race teams pit crew is doing the work for me

Last edited by xCobalt05x; 07-11-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-11-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry but a STS remote mount turbo setup is probably the WORST turbo setup you could get.

If you want to know why, I can honestly list a bunch of reasons.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:38 PM

please feel free to enlighten us as to why it's a bad idea...... (i'm kinda curious myself)
Old 07-11-2007, 12:48 PM

Because the turbo charger is located outside the engine bay and underneath the vehicle this is what has to happen and what negative can happen and negative in performance wise...

1. More charge piping - The more bends and the longer distance compressed air has to travel, it's velocity will slow down and can lose pressure.

2. Charge piping being exposed - How many of you people have ever bottom'd out somewhere? Gone into a parking lot that's at a incline. This could quite possibly damage the charge piping and cause it to air leak...boost leak.

3. Oil Lines - Oil now has to travel much farther to reach the center section of the turbo charger. You might also need a inline oil pump to keep it traveling because on a normal turbo setup, gravity and initial oil pressure is enough to get into the center section and as it goes through it, gravity pushes the oil back down into the oil pan.

4. Oil Lines Exposed - Do I need to say what can happen if you oil line comes loose or get damaged. You're talking about your engines "blood". This is why a lot of tracks DO NOT allow these type of setups.

5. Turbo charger Exposed - Same thing as everything else. It's in a terrible location. I know even on stock ride height cars, I've scraped my muffler...would you really want to put a $600+ item underneath your car?

6. Longer travel for the exhaust to hit your turbine - This will impair turbine response. People always say "well to fix this problem, get a smaller turbocharger" well what the **** is the point of that if you're aiming for performance?

Honestly, 4 cylinder cars SHOULD NOT do a STS setup. You have PLENTY of space to do what you want while keeping everything safe secure. STS setups were meant for vehicles that honestly could not fit all the charge piping and even then, I think if you can fit it in your engine bay, don't do it.

It's a irresponsible setup for a turbo system and it's gimmicky because it can essentially "go on any vehicle".
Old 07-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJHK
Because the turbo charger is located outside the engine bay and underneath the vehicle this is what has to happen and what negative can happen and negative in performance wise...

1. More charge piping - The more bends and the longer distance compressed air has to travel, it's velocity will slow down and can lose pressure.

2. Charge piping being exposed - How many of you people have ever bottom'd out somewhere? Gone into a parking lot that's at a incline. This could quite possibly damage the charge piping and cause it to air leak...boost leak.

3. Oil Lines - Oil now has to travel much farther to reach the center section of the turbo charger. You might also need a inline oil pump to keep it traveling because on a normal turbo setup, gravity and initial oil pressure is enough to get into the center section and as it goes through it, gravity pushes the oil back down into the oil pan.

4. Oil Lines Exposed - Do I need to say what can happen if you oil line comes loose or get damaged. You're talking about your engines "blood". This is why a lot of tracks DO NOT allow these type of setups.

5. Turbo charger Exposed - Same thing as everything else. It's in a terrible location. I know even on stock ride height cars, I've scraped my muffler...would you really want to put a $600+ item underneath your car?

6. Longer travel for the exhaust to hit your turbine - This will impair turbine response. People always say "well to fix this problem, get a smaller turbocharger" well what the **** is the point of that if you're aiming for performance?

Honestly, 4 cylinder cars SHOULD NOT do a STS setup. You have PLENTY of space to do what you want while keeping everything safe secure. STS setups were meant for vehicles that honestly could not fit all the charge piping and even then, I think if you can fit it in your engine bay, don't do it.

It's a irresponsible setup for a turbo system and it's gimmicky because it can essentially "go on any vehicle".
also, i'm sure it can't be good for a super red hot turbo to have cold puddle water splashed on it.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
also, i'm sure it can't be good for a super red hot turbo to have cold puddle water splashed on it.
lol omg...

That turbo would rust so quickly
Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM

There is a guy down the street from me who has been runnin a STS kit from Texas Rear Mounts on his Cavy. I always thought it would be stupid the way they were designed because of dirt or water but there is just as high a chance of having those problems with an engine mounted system. Also NJHK he is not having a single problem with the system building and maintaining boost. Runs around 12psi at all times if I remember correctly. And he swears that there is no more turbo lag then any other 4cyl turbo car experiences. I was considering this kit for when I do my build but got togethor with my friend down at w ww.turbochargers.com and think we are gonna plan and piece togethor one wicked kit based around a GT35R with all custom manifold etc. But I need to save up about 8k dollars for engine components and the cost of the turbo kit and having custom parts made. Hopeing by the time I got the money HpTuners will have solved the tuning problems for us 07 owners.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by BlackedOutCoby
There is a guy down the street from me who has been runnin a STS kit from Texas Rear Mounts on his Cavy. I always thought it would be stupid the way they were designed because of dirt or water but there is just as high a chance of having those problems with an engine mounted system. Also NJHK he is not having a single problem with the system building and maintaining boost. Runs around 12psi at all times if I remember correctly. And he swears that there is no more turbo lag then any other 4cyl turbo car experiences. I was considering this kit for when I do my build but got togethor with my friend down at w ww.turbochargers.com and think we are gonna plan and piece togethor one wicked kit based around a GT35R with all custom manifold etc. But I need to save up about 8k dollars for engine components and the cost of the turbo kit and having custom parts made. Hopeing by the time I got the money HpTuners will have solved the tuning problems for us 07 owners.
I'm not saying he will have a problem but I'm saying you're raising the risks of something bad happening. It's like driving without a seat belt and driving with a seat belt...it's just different risks. If you're investing thousands of dollars, would you want to put your "investment" at a higher risk?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
I'm not saying he will have a problem but I'm saying you're raising the risks of something bad happening. It's like driving without a seat belt and driving with a seat belt...it's just different risks. If you're investing thousands of dollars, would you want to put your "investment" at a higher risk?
i mean really think about it... 1 larger speed bump and byebye turbo doesn't seem like the safest thing to me ...
Old 07-11-2007, 01:51 PM

Actually on our cars it is tucked up and sits higher then teh stock muffler did in order to do dmg to this system on a speed bump yoru rear bumper would be gone long before the turbo kit.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 PM

that thing would never survive around my area... the speed bumps in my area are like running over children... and then we have ridiculous pot holes.. I hit a pothole one day and i seriously though i launched my strut into the hood of my car..

I laid my side skirt onto a speed bump hard when i was doing about 5 MPH over a speed bump... had I have been going faster I dont think my bumper would i've been on, I mean this just might be my area... but i wouldn't want something that makes your car un-drivable in certain places
Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 PM

It seems folks on here really don't know anything about the turbo system and is just exagerating
Old 07-11-2007, 03:14 PM

also, the claim about 7psi being equal to 18psi on others. PSI doesnt matter. Its the amount of air thats flowed. 7psi on a large turbo can flow the same as 18psi on another. All they are saying is they are running a massive turbo that is about 10 feet away from your engine. Large turbos have more lag mounted directly to the manifold, then on top of that having it 10 feet down the exhaust? Just doesnt make sense in my mind. Its a waste of piping, a waste of fabrication time, and your exposing a very expensive item to outside elements.

Another thing to consider is what if you get hit from behind? Even if they bump you and it hits your muffler, it could easily damage the turbo, doesnt matter how high or low its sitting there. I dunno about you, but i've lived all over the country, and most drivers are retarded. i've been hit 4 times from behind in just one car within a 1 year period. Im even sketchy about putting a body kit on my car for said reasons.

All we are saying is that the rear mount setup puts your $3000 investment into a much higher risk. Remember, you get what you pay for. Yes, you may save $700, but you have a much higher risk of spending more money down the road.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:40 PM

If I recall correctly the long tube design STS uses helps in cooling. The more cooler air the better.

Quick Reply: 2.2L build update