2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2L dominance

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RuSSo-29
I think the BASE BASE Civic dosn't have the V-tec

But from what I hard herd, it wasn't that umuch more $$ for GM to make the 2.4 and then give it VVT! So if it was added to the 2.2, we'd really be on our way!
all new civics come with ivtec
Old 06-28-2006, 02:45 PM

So say it only ups the price say a grand then they should do it,peaple are really sold on this vvt thing, who knows why?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:47 PM

Penguin are you getting a 4 door ss or a 2 door? go look at the pursuit at Dueck downtown
Old 06-28-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05YELLOWSS
so let's think about this...with the only difference in 2.0 and 2.2 being stroke...why don't us ss guys just build a "stroker" and use a forged 2.2 crank...sounds like a good deal to me, i'm gonna do some more research and make some phone calls...
stroke & compression are the main difference. This is also without knowing about the valvetrain differences.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by g5mike
Penguin are you getting a 4 door ss or a 2 door? go look at the pursuit at Dueck downtown
maybe ill try that today......but i prefer chevy...coz you have the G5 :P ...i think the ss will look awsome next to ur GT

back on topic:

i think the aftermarket for 2.2 will be huge. not because its the majority of the cobalt sales but because a lot of ppl buy the base model to modify the hell out of them. whereas the SS SC came tuned and some ppl would just stop there.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by chipsgt
This could get ugly really quick.
This has been discussed many times before.

No one is saying that the 2.2L engine isnt a great engine. It IS!
But it is not built for boost.

I am pretty sure it has even been shown that in order to make a base model a comprable car in all aspects to the SS/SC, it would eventually cost MORE than the price of it right out of the box.

I dont want to fan any flames, or re-light the debate of which is better.
It has been beaten to death. But understand that to make a comparable car, its not just as simple as bolting on a turbo kit and going.

2.2 + 2.4 +2.0 =
Compression is one aspect to look at the 2.4 motor but it's not the thing to end all. Just cause it's 10.5:1 doesn't mean you can't boost it reliably. People forget that ignition timing adjustments can make a huge difference when under boost. High Compressioned motors can and have been boosted.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:01 AM

This could get ugly really quick.
This has been discussed many times before.

No one is saying that the 2.2L engine isnt a great engine. It IS!
But it is not built for boost.

I am pretty sure it has even been shown that in order to make a base model a comprable car in all aspects to the SS/SC, it would eventually cost MORE than the price of it right out of the box.

I dont want to fan any flames, or re-light the debate of which is better.
It has been beaten to death. But understand that to make a comparable car, its not just as simple as bolting on a turbo kit and going.

2.2 + 2.4 +2.0 =

If I see someone in an SS/SC I don't even bother saying anything. They turn up their noses and look at me like I'm crazy if I try and strike up a convo about performance. Also, I think someone mentioned this before, but why do all the 2.2 owners want to build their cars into an SS killing machine? What's the point?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBalt
If I see someone in an SS/SC I don't even bother saying anything. They turn up their noses and look at me like I'm crazy if I try and strike up a convo about performance.
Also, I think someone mentioned this before, but why do all the 2.2 owners want to build their cars into an SS killing machine? What's the point?
I think you just answered your own question.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:25 AM

They turn up their noses and look at me like I'm crazy if I try and strike up a convo about performance.
why do all the 2.2 owners want to build their cars into an SS killing machine? What's the point?
Please rest assured that not ALL SS/SC owners are like this. But yes, there are some snobby people that think their cobalt is the fastest production car ever made and look down on anything slower.
Unfortunately for these people, they will miss out on meeting a lot of cool people!

As for the second part of your post, I dont think that everyone nessecarialy wants to make SS killing machines.
The idea that you can spend 4,000.00 less and have the same power is a nice idea. I know I certainly had that mentality when I bought my base model Cobalt. I quickly learned though that it was MUCH easier said than done. And most likely I would venture to say that only a small percentage of people who buy with the intention of boosting their base model, ever will.
And thats because of the time and money that will need to be put into it.

Good for those that do get it done though!

But I would say most of us are CAR enthusiasts, and no one should be frowned upon for what they want to do to thier cars.

Just my .02
Old 06-29-2006, 10:51 AM

vtec isn't that great. ppl think of vtec as this amazing power adding feature. you have to realize that theres vtec intended for better fuel economy and then theres vtec intended for better performance while abtaining decent fuel consumtion. all does is help fuel consumtion pretty much. vtec is different sized cam lobes that are larger. the system engages these cam lobes at certain throttle and rpm points to increase power by switching from smaller to larger lobes. really not that great if you want a power full engines all around. for example after market cams for an ecotec would just be all out agressive and not have to change lobs. which would mean more power down low and across the band. the v-tec engines have less torque down low cause the larger lobes aren't being used. vtec cars also have valves in the intake manifold that open and close at certain points to maximize torque and rpm power. that is good in any case cause you maximize high and low end power. so basically it comes down to this. v-tec is good for the normal consumer that mods his car but still wants 20mpg, but if you were looking for an all out race engine vtec wouldn't do u any good. in theory it would hurt low end power. this is my understanding of how vtec works if i'm slighlty off by all means correct me.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by specvgini
vtec isn't that great. ppl think of vtec as this amazing power adding feature. you have to realize that theres vtec intended for better fuel economy and then theres vtec intended for better performance while abtaining decent fuel consumtion. all does is help fuel consumtion pretty much. vtec is different sized cam lobes that are larger. the system engages these cam lobes at certain throttle and rpm points to increase power by switching from smaller to larger lobes. really not that great if you want a power full engines all around. for example after market cams for an ecotec would just be all out agressive and not have to change lobs. which would mean more power down low and across the band. the v-tec engines have less torque down low cause the larger lobes aren't being used. vtec cars also have valves in the intake manifold that open and close at certain points to maximize torque and rpm power. that is good in any case cause you maximize high and low end power. so basically it comes down to this. v-tec is good for the normal consumer that mods his car but still wants 20mpg, but if you were looking for an all out race engine vtec wouldn't do u any good. in theory it would hurt low end power. this is my understanding of how vtec works if i'm slighlty off by all means correct me.
Sounds dead on to me.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:58 AM

And most likely I would venture to say that only a small percentage of people who buy with the intention of boosting their base model, ever will.
Sad but true.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can't turbo the 2.0 cause its already supercharged and you'd have to reconfigure the entire engine
Most certainly can be done. Why? Because it already has. And no, you don't need to reconfigure the ENTIRE engine. You need to beef up some parts, but that also holds true for the 2.2s and 2.4s as well.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Most certainly can be done. Why? Because it already has. And no, you don't need to reconfigure the ENTIRE engine. You need to beef up some parts, but that also holds true for the 2.2s and 2.4s as well.
You don't even need "beef" up any parts.

Listen, forced induction is forced induction. Efficiency is the name of the game. Nothing needs to be changed inside your motor any differently whether you run a turbo or a supercharger. No matter what you do externally with forced induction, your motor will react the same way when it sees a certain amount of pressure.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:22 PM

And most likely I would venture to say that only a small percentage of people who buy with the intention of boosting their base model, ever will.

Ill be that small percentage! Oh well
Old 07-01-2006, 10:26 PM

The simple reason race motors don't use v-tec is because they are tuned to run at full throttle and at high rpm for extended periods of time. Street motors need a mild cam to idle smoothly in traffic, deliver good fuel economy, pass smog, and remain reliable for day to day driving. Adding extra weight to the top of the motor, like v-tec does is a big no-no in the race world and so most race cars just run an uncorked motor with a wildly overlapping cam.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many of you guys drive your car daily? I certainly do and I feel that balance is a lot more important on the street then raw power. I don't think I'm in the minority when I say my cobalt is my daily driver.

Also, wether or not there is a big amount of support from the market you can still make your car what you want, it's just a little more difficult. My old car was a 91 Mx-6 GT and it has about as much aftermarket support as a Ford Windstar, but that didn't stop guys from makin 300 ft lbs of tourque with simple mods. If you want it bad enough you can do it with out aftermarket support. What do you think the guys did that started these markets? Food for thought.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:05 AM

I mean no hard feeling and honestly my post is somewhat wrong. All I am saying there is a lot more out right now for the 2.2L.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:31 PM

Ok theres one common enemy here... imports..... lets jsut stop fight about whos better and work together and take down some imports =P
Old 07-06-2006, 10:24 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by skydragon26
Ok theres one common enemy here... imports..... lets jsut stop fight about whos better and work together and take down some imports =P
Thats the way I see it. We all have limitations to what we can do to our cars. We just need to do the research for our own engine and choose how to proceed. Not everyone will choose to do the exact same build which is why there are different parts from different companies. Personal preference needs to be factored in and in the end we each have to sit alone at the start line. It is at the finish line where we find out if what we did really works or wonder if those broken pieces on the track are parts that we should have done something different with.