2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2L Ecotec Turbo Kit - Stage 1 NOW READY

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would you be interested in a project car to have some experience putting it on the cobalt since you havent put them on one yet.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:59 AM

Will you be offering a kit for the 2.4 ltr. SS model?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:13 AM

Yes it is available for the 2.4L and I have a question about the 2.4L Kit. How much hp after the install?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

You're looking at ab out 50 horsepower.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by speed
I would not buy any product that has yet to be tested on a Cobalt. Please do us all a favor (including yourself) and test the kit on the Cobalt before you advertise it for sale!

Do you know anything about the motor? Doesn't seem like it.

They put it on a Cavi, yes different computer, btu not different enuff to make big changes.
The Cavi also has a 2.2L ECOTec Motor in it. Same exact motor. Relax Bro.

PS. You dont have to put things in BOLD for us to recognize it!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cobal-lution
Will you be offering a kit for the 2.4 ltr. SS model?

Its gonna be the same gain as on the 2.2L, 1 psi = rougly 10HP
Old 09-14-2005, 02:17 PM

if we were to get this stage 1 kit. when the stage 2 and 3 come out would we be able to purchase the upgrade for it? thanks man

ryan
Old 09-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Banned

Ryan - Yep! If you get Stage 1 now, you can always upgrade and buy the additional pieces (such as the intercooler, FMU, etc.) when we release those products
Old 09-19-2005, 05:17 PM

I think i remember reading it some were on your website. This is going to sound like a funny question...But i think the website said something about the kit coming with some type of instruction booklet. Or is that just a booklet to identify the parts? Cause im very interested, just not that mechanically inclined. I've done some things with engines just nothing this big. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:06 PM

i still dont get were 1psi=about 10hp? if this was true the ss sc is at 12.5psi so that would add 125hp. so 140hp + 125 hp = 265hp. is there something im missing? the only major thing different about the 2.0 to the 2.2 is that the stroke of the piston is less. i believe it was said somewhere that the 2.0 starts out with less hp. so 205 - 125 would only give it about 80hp. at 8psi your not going to 80hp. 12.5psi is only giving the 2.0 about 60hp. im not tring to talk bad about your trubo kits or anyone who buys it, its just the people who think they will be able to walk all over a ss sc.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueSSupercharged
i still dont get were 1psi=about 10hp? if this was true the ss sc is at 12.5psi so that would add 125hp. so 140hp + 125 hp = 265hp. is there something im missing? the only major thing different about the 2.0 to the 2.2 is that the stroke of the piston is less. i believe it was said somewhere that the 2.0 starts out with less hp. so 205 - 125 would only give it about 80hp. at 8psi your not going to 80hp. 12.5psi is only giving the 2.0 about 60hp. im not tring to talk bad about your trubo kits or anyone who buys it, its just the people who think they will be able to walk all over a ss sc.
Not sure what to say about this. With an aftermarket kit, 1psi = 10 horsepower. On a FACTORY car, you can't say "Well, without the supercharger the car is really 160 horsepower, and the supercharger only adds 40 horsepower at 12 psi." How does anyone know this?

It's a proven fact that most aftermarket kits will provide anywhere from 8-10 horsepower per psi.

Things are so different when comparing an aftermarket kit with a car that actually already comes with a turbocharger.

A Cobalt Coupe ran at 8 psi will BEAT a Cobalt SS, even though the Cobalt SS is at 12 psi...
Old 09-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ORT
I think i remember reading it some were on your website. This is going to sound like a funny question...But i think the website said something about the kit coming with some type of instruction booklet. Or is that just a booklet to identify the parts? Cause im very interested, just not that mechanically inclined. I've done some things with engines just nothing this big. Thanks.
Not a funny question at all We will be including a general list of instructions with these kits.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by frankmckeever
Not sure what to say about this. With an aftermarket kit, 1psi = 10 horsepower. On a FACTORY car, you can't say "Well, without the supercharger the car is really 160 horsepower, and the supercharger only adds 40 horsepower at 12 psi." How does anyone know this?

It's a proven fact that most aftermarket kits will provide anywhere from 8-10 horsepower per psi.

Things are so different when comparing an aftermarket kit with a car that actually already comes with a turbocharger.

A Cobalt Coupe ran at 8 psi will BEAT a Cobalt SS, even though the Cobalt SS is at 12 psi...
i dout a coupe at 8psi will beat an ss sc. i give the coupe at 8psi low 15. also how is factory boost different from an aftermarket kit.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:23 PM

i wouldnt be too sure about a stage 1 handling an SS but would definitaly hang with it
Old 09-19-2005, 11:25 PM

actually you about on the money. Without the SC on the SS, it WOULD have about 125hp. It is only a 2.0L and has been de-stroked, and compression ratio is smaller. The 2.2L has 145hp but has a CR of 10:1 while the 2.0L has a CR of 9.5:1+plus destroking= "roughly" 125hp.

The 2.2L turbo version would have about the same HP, but it "may" have a little more torque, so, in theory, the base Cobalt "could" beat the SS with the Turbo set at 8 PSI, it would be close.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shamrock
actually you about on the money. Without the SC on the SS, it WOULD have about 125hp. It is only a 2.0L and has been de-stroked, and compression ratio is smaller. The 2.2L has 145hp but has a CR of 10:1 while the 2.0L has a CR of 9.5:1+plus destroking= "roughly" 125hp.

The 2.2L turbo version would have about the same HP, but it "may" have a little more torque, so, in theory, the base Cobalt "could" beat the SS with the Turbo set at 8 PSI, it would be close.
if it did put down close to the same numbers like u said i still dont think it will be as fast because 1. the trans in the ss sc is made for the ss sc powerband, the trans in the coupe is not. 2. if you look at the numbers compared to the srt4, the srt4 has 25 more hp and 50 more tq and is only about .5 sec faster than the ss sc. so taking the coupe and putting a turbo on it to give it what some people think will be 230 hp you could say you be able to keep up with a srt4. its just my opinion but i think the trans what helps the ss sc put down close to srt4 numbers with less hp and even less tq.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:03 AM

With the high compression of the 2.2, yes 8 lbs of boost would probably yield 2.0 performance numbers. However, you won't be able to go much past that amount of boost without upgrading internals which equals, time money, and voided warranty= not worth it!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by frankmckeever
Not a funny question at all We will be including a general list of instructions with these kits.

So basically If your not quite sure what your doing, get help from someone who knows what there doing...or take it to a shop? Cause when you say General List of instructions.....it doesn't sound like its going to be in a lot of detail. Just trying to figure out how much I would have to spend getting it installed somewere or me doing it myself... thanks again!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by phxSS
With the high compression of the 2.2, yes 8 lbs of boost would probably yield 2.0 performance numbers. However, you won't be able to go much past that amount of boost without upgrading internals which equals, time money, and voided warranty= not worth it!
This is definitely something people considering forced induction on their 2.2L should take into account before they go ahead with it. I would hate to see someone put a turbocharger on their car and decide to up the boost to 12psi or something because that's what the 2.0L is running at...you'd better start ducking to avoid the rods and bearings or you're going to end up eating one of them . I'm not sure if upgrading the internals of the engine using GM Performance parts would void the warranty or not...but you're right it would cost a lot of money and take a lot of time, rebuilding an engine is no small task. I'm sure there's a few people interested in doing it, I'm probably not one of them but Halfcent has definitely taken the initiative .

1. the trans in the ss sc is made for the ss sc powerband, the trans in the coupe is not.
Another good point though I haven't even had the opportunity yet to take my LS to the redline and watch where the tach falls to in the next gear. From reading it appears the car falls out of its' powerband not to mention there is a steep decrease in power once you cross that 5500 threshold and the rev limiter apparently kicks in at 6500RPM. Without any dynos or personal experience with this I can't take a stance either way but again something people considering F/I may consider looking into. I fully intend to take my car to the dyno if I do decide to look into a T/C or S/C in the future just to get an idea of what the engine does at what RPMs as well as get a general idea of the increases experienced after the system is installed.

Imo, if you're looking into pursuing F/I just for the sake of being able to "hang" with certain cars you may be incredibly disappointed when it doesn't quite yield the results you were expecting. I'm considering it simply because I want to cusomize my car and make it something I can call my own. Sure if the opportunity presents itself to run an SS/SC or an RSX Type-S I probably would for the sake of seeing what the car could do...but at the end of the day if I lost I'm not going to be overly concerned and think any less of my car...hell I love it as it is stock .

Permafried-
Old 09-20-2005, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we can run with rsx type S now, i raced one and we were neck and neck til 4th gear , when he got 1 inch ahead and shutdown.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by FLCobalt
we can run with rsx type S now, i raced one and we were neck and neck til 4th gear , when he got 1 inch ahead and shutdown.
...are you 100% sure it wasn't a normal RSX with a Type-S badge pasted on? That car is running 195hp - 201hp whereas the non-type-s models are running 155hp which would seem more on par with a non-ss Cobalt hanging with it. Our cars may have more torque but a 50hp difference is pretty substantial. I'm not trying to call you a liar or anything and please don't take it as that I've never tried running with one myself...I'm just unsure how it could have been a full-fledged Type-S. If anyone thinks I'm crazy please feel free to correct me .

Permafried-
Old 09-20-2005, 09:10 PM

i thought rsx-s put out like 175 at the wheels
Old 09-20-2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Woodio
i thought rsx-s put out like 175 at the wheels
I'm not talking at the wheels because I have no clue what my LS is putting out at the wheels so I couldn't put together a very accurate comparison .

Permafried-
Old 09-20-2005, 09:39 PM

Would the automatic transmission in my LS be able to handle a turbo kit like this or is that disaster waiting to happen?? Very interested in this kit if the auto can sustain the increases in power.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by tdirlmeier
Would the automatic transmission in my LS be able to handle a turbo kit like this or is that disaster waiting to happen?? Very interested in this kit if the auto can sustain the increases in power.
the 4t45 was used on the 3.4 in the grand am but thats only 175hp engine. i dont know if the would be able to hold more. it probably could but how much power and for how long no one knows.

Quick Reply: 2.2L Ecotec Turbo Kit - Stage 1 NOW READY