2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2L Ecotec Turbo Kit - Stage 1 NOW READY

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdirlmeier
Would the automatic transmission in my LS be able to handle a turbo kit like this or is that disaster waiting to happen?? Very interested in this kit if the auto can sustain the increases in power.
This thread should answer your questions regarding your tranny:
What the Build Book Doesn't Tell You

Permafried-
Old 09-21-2005, 07:44 AM

one thing i keep hearing is this warranty bs!

if you are turbocharging your car the value of a warranty should mean ****! if you can run a turbo kit but can't fix your own damn car and need a warranty then i don't know what to tell you. who gives a damn whats on warranty and what isn't?

there is no doubt in my mind that a turbocharged 2.2L can run with a SS/SC, they aren't that far ahead of the 2.2L. Basic bolt ons, headwork, and a 50 shot of nitrous can put you ahead of SS/SC's and RL's so why wouldn't a turbo kit be able to?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:09 PM

Maybe it isnt so much the work done that they want on warranty but the parts that are covered?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
one thing i keep hearing is this warranty bs!

if you are turbocharging your car the value of a warranty should mean ****! if you can run a turbo kit but can't fix your own damn car and need a warranty then i don't know what to tell you. who gives a damn whats on warranty and what isn't?

there is no doubt in my mind that a turbocharged 2.2L can run with a SS/SC, they aren't that far ahead of the 2.2L. Basic bolt ons, headwork, and a 50 shot of nitrous can put you ahead of SS/SC's and RL's so why wouldn't a turbo kit be able to?
SO TWO SECONDS IN THE 1/4 MILE IS NOT FAR BEHIND. SS SC RUNS 14.5 IN THE 1/4 MILE THEN IM NOT FAR BEHIND CORVETTE THAT RUNS A 12.5 1/4 MILE. AND YOU WOULD NEED MORE THAN Basic bolt ons, headwork, and a 50 shot of nitrous TO RUN WITH A SS SC. I DONT THINK SOME OF YOU HAVE DRIVEN A SS SC. NOT TO SAY ITS THE FASTEST CAR OUT THERE BUT ITS NOT THE SLOW ETHER.

AND ALSO I WORK AT A GM DEALER AND A TURBO KIT WOULD VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
ANY TIME YOU CALL GM TECH ASSIST THE FIRST THING THEY ASK IS HAS THE CAR BEEN MODIFIED.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=

ANY TIME YOU CALL GM TECH ASSIST THE FIRST THING THEY ASK IS HAS THE CAR BEEN MODIFIED.[/QUOTE]

Just say no lol if its something MAJOR and its a HUGE cost take off turbo
Old 09-21-2005, 03:19 PM

speaking of warrentys. so far i put in a short shifter. lowerd. rims, intake. if i wanted to bring my car back to get the inside door stuff around the inside handle ( have that problem were the cloth is to small for it and pelling back a lil bit). and also the paint around the edged on the top is wearing off cuz the door hits it . shouldi take off alll the mods? or just leave them on? cuz if something down the road does happens i dont want them knowing that i did have mods on it when i brought it in the first time. like i dont wana be black marked at all . so what would u do? so far i got 12000 miles on it and i had it since april should i jst wait a year or so when i got bout 40-45 K miles on it whent he warrenty is up in 5000 miles and just take off the mods and get it all redone then or what? thanks for ur advice in advance.

ryan
Old 09-21-2005, 03:30 PM

anything that you do to your car, is ok, unless it is the source of the problem.....

hence.......i put an intake on my car and my stereo dies.......covered
i turbo my car, my motor blows up, not covered, you get the point
Old 09-21-2005, 03:44 PM

I would love to see a turbo 2.4 SS 5 speed. IMO that would be nearly as fast as the SS/SC. i figure 171hp+40-50hp+ 15-20hp(exhaust, K&N filter) 240max, 220min. That would definitely by a nice car, enough power when ya need it, but just as good a daily driver. Might overcome the cost of just buying an SS/SC though? haha i dunno, let me hear your opinions...
Old 09-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05BurntOGSL
anything that you do to your car, is ok, unless it is the source of the problem.....

hence.......i put an intake on my car and my stereo dies.......covered
i turbo my car, my motor blows up, not covered, you get the point
Exactly. This is a federal law - The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by chevyracing19
I would love to see a turbo 2.4 SS 5 speed. IMO that would be nearly as fast as the SS/SC. i figure 171hp+40-50hp+ 15-20hp(exhaust, K&N filter) 240max, 220min. That would definitely by a nice car, enough power when ya need it, but just as good a daily driver. Might overcome the cost of just buying an SS/SC though? haha i dunno, let me hear your opinions...
a 2.4 ss with a turbo would probably closer to keeping up with a stock ss sc then a 2.2. most dealers would probably not say anything about having modds on your car as long as they arn't causing the problem, but if gm were to find out that the car is modded in any way that could a different story.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSSupercharged
SO TWO SECONDS IN THE 1/4 MILE IS NOT FAR BEHIND. SS SC RUNS 14.5 IN THE 1/4 MILE THEN IM NOT FAR BEHIND CORVETTE THAT RUNS A 12.5 1/4 MILE. AND YOU WOULD NEED MORE THAN Basic bolt ons, headwork, and a 50 shot of nitrous TO RUN WITH A SS SC. I DONT THINK SOME OF YOU HAVE DRIVEN A SS SC. NOT TO SAY ITS THE FASTEST CAR OUT THERE BUT ITS NOT THE SLOW ETHER.

ANY TIME YOU CALL GM TECH ASSIST THE FIRST THING THEY ASK IS HAS THE CAR BEEN MODIFIED.
caps off.

an SS/SC and 2.2L are not 2 seconds apart...not to mention moving from 14's to 12's is alot larger step then moving from 16s to 14s...especially in a FWD car.

And yes that IS all it takes, there is an ION with these mods done and it can BEAT Redlines. You're right, the SS/SC is not the fastest car out there...neither is the regular Cobalt/ION. The difference between me and most RL/SS owners is I know this.

And yeah the people above me have just mentioned the warranty issue...anyway, back to the turbo kit.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:29 AM

caps off.

an SS/SC and 2.2L are not 2 seconds apart...not to mention moving from 14's to 12's is alot larger step then moving from 16s to 14s...especially in a FWD car.

And yes that IS all it takes, there is an ION with these mods done and it can BEAT Redlines. You're right, the SS/SC is not the fastest car out there...neither is the regular Cobalt/ION. The difference between me and most RL/SS owners is I know this.

And yeah the people above me have just mentioned the warranty issue...anyway, back to the turbo kit.
CAPS ON.

OK SORRY 2.5 SEC IS THAT BETTER. FOR A 2.2L IT IS HARDER TO GO FROM 14S TO 12S. YOU CAN SPEND $3500 FOR A TURBO KIT TO TRY AND MAKE IT GO MID 14S AND I CAN $3500 ON MODDS FOR MY SS SC AND MAKE IT RUN 12S.

ALSO ABOUT THE 5 SPEED IN THE 2.2L, I HAD TO WORK ON ONE TODAY AND I DONT KNOW ANYONE HAS LOOKED AT THE AXLE SHAFTS BUT I DONT THINK THEY WILL BE ABLE TO HOLD THE 200+HP THIS TURBO KIT CLAIMS TO PUT TO THE WHEELS. AFTER SEEING THE AXLES I THINK IF I WERE TO PUT A TURBO ON A 2.2L I WOULD RATHER HAVE A AUTO. THE AXLE IM TALKING ABOUT IS THE PASSAGER SIDE AXLE. THE AXLE IS LONGER AND SMALLER THEN THE AXLE ON MY OLD CAVALIER.

CAPS off.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:01 AM

dont forget your 20K SS is 10K more than my base model, therefore giving me not only the 3500 dollars to use, but another 10000 to make up for the difference.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:05 AM
Banned

CAPS ON.

OK SORRY 2.5 SEC IS THAT BETTER. FOR A 2.2L IT IS HARDER TO GO FROM 14S TO 12S. YOU CAN SPEND $3500 FOR A TURBO KIT TO TRY AND MAKE IT GO MID 14S AND I CAN $3500 ON MODDS FOR MY SS SC AND MAKE IT RUN 12S.

ALSO ABOUT THE 5 SPEED IN THE 2.2L, I HAD TO WORK ON ONE TODAY AND I DONT KNOW ANYONE HAS LOOKED AT THE AXLE SHAFTS BUT I DONT THINK THEY WILL BE ABLE TO HOLD THE 200+HP THIS TURBO KIT CLAIMS TO PUT TO THE WHEELS. AFTER SEEING THE AXLES I THINK IF I WERE TO PUT A TURBO ON A 2.2L I WOULD RATHER HAVE A AUTO. THE AXLE IM TALKING ABOUT IS THE PASSAGER SIDE AXLE. THE AXLE IS LONGER AND SMALLER THEN THE AXLE ON MY OLD CAVALIER.

CAPS off.
Dude, who cares? If you don't want the product, you are not obligated to purchase the product. This thread was not started to argue which vehicle is faster and how people should spend their money.

Those that want to buy the 2.2L Ecotec will buy the 2.2L Ecotec. Those that want to buy the SS S/C will buy the SS S/C.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:40 AM

do you need a mechanic to install this or can the owner do this him or herself????? and i do supose this voids the factory warranty
Old 09-22-2005, 01:47 AM

its funny how every thread starts to wander in the same direction after a few posts... anyway, cool kit for the 2.2.... i have a 2.4 and don't plan on a kit anytime soon. maybe after the warranty but thats cool that you are slowly opening up the aftermarket
Old 09-22-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by frankmckeever
Dude, who cares? If you don't want the product, you are not obligated to purchase the product. This thread was not started to argue which vehicle is faster and how people should spend their money.

Those that want to buy the 2.2L Ecotec will buy the 2.2L Ecotec. Those that want to buy the SS S/C will buy the SS S/C.

im not arguing about your product just the people who think there 2.2 turbo will walk all over a ss sc like so many people seem to think will happen.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by wikkymaster
dont forget your 20K SS is 10K more than my base model, therefore giving me not only the 3500 dollars to use, but another 10000 to make up for the difference.

ok but i didnt pay 20000 for my ss sc try more like 13000 which was probably less than you pay for your base cobalt.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:57 AM

im not arguing about your product just the people who think there 2.2 turbo will walk all over a ss sc like so many people seem to think will happen.
It's not going to walk all over it but it would definitely be able to run with it once you get into the stage 2 and stage 3 setups especially. The thing is the SS/SC can handle much higher PSI than the 2.2L can without rebuilding so we'd have to put a lot more $$ into our car with internals, gearing etc. to even come close to "walking all over it". On top of that you add the stage kits to the SS/SC and we're right back to where we started, about 60hp less than the SS/SC .

I'm doing some guess work here but I figure a stage 3 turbo setup + installation would cost me somewhere in the ballpark of $4700.00CND which would bring the amount I spent on my loaded LS up to somewhere around $32,00.00CND. If I were to want to up the boost over 8psi this would require swapping of internals, definitely a wider exhaust not to mention gearing and at that point sure I have a car I can definitely call my own but I may as well have bought a $40,000 car and got it over with .

If I go the path of F/I I'm cutting it off at a stage 3 setup...8psi is enough for me. Hell the GM S/C kit almost sounds like enough for me but I'm not ruling anything out yet . If the 10hp/1psi rule holds true that would bring the HP up to somewhere in the range of 225. After being in an SRT-4 last night (I STILL haven't been in an SS/SC ) and feeling 230hp I think 225 is almost too much for me since the car is my daily driver and I do still have to be able to drive in hellish winter conditions. That and I know how much **** I could get in on those days when I get a heavy foot with that much horsepower .

Permafried-
Old 09-22-2005, 01:23 PM

imo the 2.4SS has to high a comp ratio to run any more then 4 to 5 pounds safely. even with that the 4-5 pounds would add 50 - 60hp because of the higher comp ratio.

the 2.2S could probably run 6-7psi safely

and the 2.0SS has a lower comp ratio, smaller displacement, and a supercharge which uses a fair amount of power to build boost. 12 psi is more like 10 psi on a turbo car.

imo its best to get the 2.0SS and run a turbo on it. make 15 pounds of boost and around 300hp.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chevyman06
do you need a mechanic to install this or can the owner do this him or herself????? and i do supose this voids the factory warranty
You can do the installation yourself if you'd like. It takes anywhere from 8-10 hours, and most shops will charge about $600-$800

Thanks
Old 09-22-2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by frankmckeever
You can do the installation yourself if you'd like. It takes anywhere from 8-10 hours, and most shops will charge about $600-$800

Thanks
Soo...if you don't have a bloody clue what you're doing expect to have your car apart for at least a day and a half . I would most likely be taking mine to a shop...was going to talk to my service department about it and see if they even install kits from 3rd parties...if not I know someone who owns a performance shop but I'm not real sure how I'd get back to London after dropping the car off since it's almost 20 minutes away.

Permafried-
Old 09-22-2005, 08:36 PM

because its true.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:04 PM

because its true.
sorry but its not going to happen
Old 09-23-2005, 08:36 AM

mmhmm, we'll see in due time

Quick Reply: 2.2L Ecotec Turbo Kit - Stage 1 NOW READY