2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2l extreme street

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.2l extreme street

So i've been looking at the "2.2 standalone threads" lately. It's the same damned thing everytime. The thread starts off with a legitimate question and then spirals out of control when a bunch of people who all know something start arguing with everybody else about what they do or don't know. I can't get a straight answer about anything.
The way I see it, the only way I can get a standalone sysem to really run as it is intended is to take the car apart, completely remove the intire factory wire harness, rewire the chassis with a aftermarket wire harness and then install a aftermarket engine management system.
What? you say. What about A/C? No prob,the 2007 never came with it in to begin with. Power windows? Nope. But I can add 'em now. Same with power door locks. No RAP? So what big deal. What about gauges? Autometer makes some nice ones. ABS? Never had it i the first place. Onstar? Never had it either. If I install a painless wiring chassis harness I could have a 2007 ls basically as a bare bones simple ass race car shell. Get the right one and the power windows and locks are no problem. Add in the 2.2 or something else, add the aftermarket engine management system, and you've got power. As far as I know, no one has ever gone this far with the ls on the street.
If anyone has feedback on this, please post here. But keep it clean. No arguing please.
Thanks.

Last edited by laserbluels; 03-13-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 PM

so your car didnt come with ac? interesting beings its a standard feature.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 PM

Do you have emission tests in your area? Because that will be an issue. Most people dont want to lose those basic functions in their car. I really dont ever use the AC but im not going to remove it. There is going to be tuning for the 07 cobalt soon. Just relax and be patient. There is a thread about it already thats about 15 pages long. The E16a has already been cracked and the 07 ECM will be cracked soon. I have been skeptical of it but it is for real. just give it a month. because i bet rewiring your whole car will take at least that long lol
Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by steiny69er
so your car didnt come with ac? interesting beings its a standard feature.
probably means the car he had before didn't have it. Otherwise yes that is odd.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Helltime
probably means the car he had before didn't have it. Otherwise yes that is odd.
this post is dumb, he's saying he wants to rewire all the power..why, i have no idea. he thinks he'll be able to get better control of the engine and drivetrain

re: the ac. he's saying that when he cuts all the power, he won't have ac or power windows radio etc etc
Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by shawn672
this post is dumb, he's saying he wants to rewire all the power..why, i have no idea. he thinks he'll be able to get better control of the engine and drivetrain

re: the ac. he's saying that when he cuts all the power, he won't have ac or power windows radio etc etc
well a where of that. I was replying to someone that thought the OP said the car did not COME STOCK With the a/c and i said he probably meant his last car didn't so he doesn't care if he doesn't have it. But yeah i agree, not my thing but if thats what they want to do....its their car not mine
Old 03-12-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Helltime
well a where of that. I was replying to someone that thought the OP said the car did not COME STOCK With the a/c and i said he probably meant his last car didn't so he doesn't care if he doesn't have it. But yeah i agree, not my thing but if thats what they want to do....its their car not mine
sorry quoted the wrong post, i meant to quote the second one:

"so your car didnt come with ac? interesting beings its a standard feature."
Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 AM

sorry quoted the wrong post, i meant to quote the second one:

"so your car didnt come with ac? interesting beings its a standard feature."
ah, ok. no prob
Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 AM

keep in mind the op is in canada, and often standard features in one country can be optional in another country.

also, as for rewiring the entire car, powell motorsport claimed to have saved 25lbs by installing a custom harness on the time attack cobalt they built for gm. if you have electric power steering, that will go bye-bye, no big deal, just remove the electric drive motor on the steering column and build up your forearms. also, i think most people on here haven't done what you're talking about is because of emission laws and inspection requirements.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:09 AM

no he is say ing that doesnt and when he puts a stand alone in it will be easy as **** to add
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by darrion
no he is say ing that doesnt and when he puts a stand alone in it will be easy as **** to add
EXACTLY.

When I bought my car, I specifically bought it because it didn't have a bunch of bullshit that I didn't need. My last car was a '99 Civic SiR and it had everything. Power windows, A/C, etc. etc. etc.. The only reason I bought it was because of the 1.6L DOHC VTEC engine, I sold that and got a bare bones hatchback, had most of the stuff to put the H22A in and decided to sell all that off and buy a new cobalt. So ya see, what i'm after is a simple, no bullshit get down ta business car. I coulda bought the SS, but I didn't because I felt it was much to "dolled up". No offense to ss owners, but I would rather take the low road and make something substandard whoop the hell out of the bigger guy. The david and goliath theory so to say. As far as A/C, my 2007 doesn' have it. I would rather have the windows down anyway. What happened though was that I failed to do research. If I had done research I would have known how hard it is to find performance parts for the 2.2L base cobalts, and how little aftermarket support there is for the car in general, I probably woulda passed on the cobalt. The reason for rewiring it has nothing to do with body function controls, it is simply to make the installation of a standalone system that much more easy. I have been told that the Engine Control Module is somehow tied into the rest of the vehicle in ways that you wouldn't suspect, and that the installation of a standalone can affect the car in odd ways. Such as the hvac, stereo, airbags, etc., etc., etc.,. Airbags could be deleted as well.
Emissions tests? We do not have them here in canada. God I love this country. You can do almost anything you want and as lond as you keep your mouth shut and don't tell everyone what you got going on under the hood, no one knows. Cops are stupid. I had a AEM V2 on my SiR and got pulled over. Cop wanted to look under the hood, he thought I had a turbo on it!?
Whatever.
As a end note:
I actually considered trading the car in on a ss, however GM wouldn't give me anymore than 9,000$ trade-in, on a car that i've had less than 6 months and paid 17,000$ sticker for. So I figure i'm stuck with it. Life gives ya lemons, make lemonade. But add lotsa sugar

Last edited by laserbluels; 03-13-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost