2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque
View Poll Results: Which brand intake would be better for a 2.2L sedan?
AEM
24.19%
Injen
61.29%
Fujita
3.23%
XTC
1.61%
K&N
9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

2.2L intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07cobaltowner
yeah a fuvk in atruck in aa aem for the qiwn go sepnfsd you r money wehow s you want and sunvcks a fat one!
happptyh Valtnertind ady1

Laazyas
you read my mind!

Originally Posted by dragonslayer27
i don't know if anyone has asked but either way i'm too lazy to search 4 it. i was wondering which intake would be best for my 2.2 sedan. The only ones i would buy are aem, fujita, injen, and k&n. I'm not sure about the XTC cold air but i'm pretty open minded. Also which setup would be better, the cold air intake or the short ram intake. If this has already been discussed send me the link. yeah. also if anyone has gain numbers on a 2.2 sedan that would be cool too. thanks.
why should we waste our time trying to help you if you cant help yourself? want us to spoon feed you? just by admiting how lazy you are shows your ambition to want to learn. anyway... Injen CAI/SRI FTW!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:01 PM

I am going to install the GM performance CAI on my 2.2
I can't install anything else so it won't screw my lease
Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by SlateFox
you read my mind!

why should we waste our time trying to help you if you cant help yourself? want us to spoon feed you? just by admiting how lazy you are shows your ambition to want to learn. anyway... Injen CAI/SRI FTW!!!
no i got ambition to learn i just don't see how looking through a whole bunch of threads would aid my "ambition to learn". I'm not looking to research, i've done that already. I'm looking for the opinions of other who have any of the intakes or might have experience with more than one of them. So how's about that for your ambition to learn.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:08 AM

Injen & K&N have done me well. Although w/ the 2007 cobalt you have to do slight modifications to the hoses for the K&N shortram. I finally finished with Injen + K&N filter. Might get an AEM filter when this one gets torn up. I'm going to sell the typhoon from K&N when I get home from iraq, probably for only like $75.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:37 AM

with the maf (mass air flow) problem i've heard about the with k&n and other oil filters i would be pretty reluctant to use one. they claim it won't void your warranty but GM has said it will... someone here had an issue with their dealer over this, do a search for it.

I have a few oil filters sitting around too and I don't want to risk using any of them to make a $5 intake... but i've got a plan!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by denn454
with the maf (mass air flow) problem i've heard about the with k&n and other oil filters i would be pretty reluctant to use one. they claim it won't void your warranty but GM has said it will... someone here had an issue with their dealer over this, do a search for it.

I have a few oil filters sitting around too and I don't want to risk using any of them to make a $5 intake... but i've got a plan!!!
I don't know who told you these filters void warranty. You really can't void warranty by having an aftermarket air filter; or even an aftermarket intake for that matter. Granted you don't modify the car's expected function. That would be like... removing secondary air injection, or installing one that doesn't meet CARB or something, should that matter in your area. Just check out SEMA.

Now, yes, the dealer CAN deny service, for whatever reason. I've had this happen, until I went to another, and then wrote the previous a nasty letter. IMMA WRITE A LETTER BITCH. LOL But they gave me a bunch of free service after that.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:09 AM

^^^^NEWB

An oiled filter CAN void certain parts of your powertrain warranty because the oil is sucked off of the filter, and coats everything up to the combustion chamber, where it is burned off. Including ALL sensors!! Sensors give wrong readings to the engine, and make it cut back, or add fuel and spark very randomly. The problem is usually the manufacturer of the filter pre-oils it way too much. The result is the slim possibility of blowing a motor, not to mention ruining every sensor and throwing a dozen or so codes. A fairly easy way to prevent this is to blow off most of the excess oil w/ compressed air. But the dealer will still see its an oiled filter, even if it hasn't caused any problems yet, and make a note of it when you have any work done. Then if you break something engine related, or throw a CEL, they can blame it on your filter.

I think this was explained a few times before. Before making an opinion based comment, try to research the facts.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:38 AM

"NEWB"

Well, that's cute considering I've been working on cars since I was 13. Yeah, I only got 12 posts and no signature. You got me kid.

I'm very aware that over time, excess oil can spoil the MAF sensor. You think this is a cobalt thing only? I also didn't deny the fact that you may have some problems with certain dealers. Problem for some I guess. I opted on warranty because I bought the car with cash for only about $13,000. Considering my goals, I have no need for it. Waste of money. This is my project car. But it all depends how interested you are in cleaning your intake and and the sensor/housing regularly. I didn't leave out the possibility of using a dryflow filter. A good alternative. Hell, when I get around to it, probably about the time I get back and start fitting my turbo project. I'll probably be breaking everything down and clean. I'll decide what to stick with once I get that far.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by s3itz
"NEWB"

Well, that's cute considering I've been working on cars since I was 13. Yeah, I only got 12 posts and no signature. You got me kid.

I'm very aware that over time, excess oil can spoil the MAF sensor. You think this is a cobalt thing only? I also didn't deny the fact that you may have some problems with certain dealers. Problem for some I guess. I opted on warranty because I bought the car with cash for only about $13,000. Considering my goals, I have no need for it. Waste of money. This is my project car. But it all depends how interested you are in cleaning your intake and and the sensor/housing regularly. I didn't leave out the possibility of using a dryflow filter. A good alternative. Hell, when I get around to it, probably about the time I get back and start fitting my turbo project. I'll probably be breaking everything down and clean. I'll decide what to stick with once I get that far.
It doesn't matter how long you have been working on cars (I've been working on cars since I was 8, 14 years). A signature is just for looks, and has nothing to do with knowledge. And it sure as hell doesn't matter how many posts you have. I called you newb because this has been discussed numerous times. Of course its not a cobalt only thing. Any car with a MAF or IAT will have problems.

Just so you know, you can't just clean those sensors. Sure go ahead and try and clean them. What would you use to clean them? Soap and water? Rubbing alcohol? Degreaser? All of those completely destroy the reading surface of the sensor. If you know of a cleaner that wont damage the sensor, please inform all of us.

Sorry for the thread jack.

I voted for Injen.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by dragonslayer27
no i got ambition to learn i just don't see how looking through a whole bunch of threads would aid my "ambition to learn". I'm not looking to research, i've done that already. I'm looking for the opinions of other who have any of the intakes or might have experience with more than one of them. So how's about that for your ambition to learn.
if you used common sense, which you might be lacking, you wouldve thought about how long the Cobalt has been in production and thought just MAYBE "there COULD be a thread about this already?" stick that in your pipe and smoke it
Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 PM

I wouldn't say any car is going to have a problem. k&n since it had about 10,000 miles. I sold it with 150,000 miles and had no sensor problems. my grand national, which has 160k miles, about 8,000 on the ls1 maf with a k&n filter, has had no issues either. but they use a different style maf han the cobalt. Its not a cobalt specific problem, but any cars with the heated maf is going to have a problem. the oil gets on the sensor and usually does no harm, but with the heating element it cooks the oil and messes stuff up. Thats my understanding and it sounds absolutely logical.

Apparently someone here, i would assume more than one person, was having a lot of problems with the dealership not covering the maf sensor with a drop in k&n filter. Even if warranty would cover it I don't want the hassle of taking my car in any more often then it needs to go in.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by SlateFox
if you used common sense, which you might be lacking, you wouldve thought about how long the Cobalt has been in production and thought just MAYBE "there COULD be a thread about this already?" stick that in your pipe and smoke it
r u stupid or what. starting from the beginning i said that I'M TOO LAZY TO LOOK THOUGH FORUMS. stick that you... oh wait somethings already in there (idk just random)
Old 05-04-2007, 12:35 AM

I'm running AEM CAI in my balt, you can beat the AEM air flow and the results of that, its been proven over and over. However, the flexibility of the Injen being able to be converted from both forms of short ram and cold air intake is a real plus, it really just depends on what your looking for, and what your local weather is always like, I'm in texas, and during the summer its hardly ever rains, thus my decision to go with aem.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Archie
Just so you know, you can't just clean those sensors. Sure go ahead and try and clean them. What would you use to clean them? Soap and water? Rubbing alcohol? Degreaser? All of those completely destroy the reading surface of the sensor. If you know of a cleaner that wont damage the sensor, please inform all of us.
99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol for a household cheap solution. Just takes a bit to dry. Not the same thing as typical store bought rubbing alcohol. Pretty much the standard for cleaning computer 'boards, connections, etc. You could also try denatured alcohol. Dries much faster.

or

Canned electrical contact cleaner. Light air blast + typically quick drying solvent.

or
hell, CRC Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner; pretty cheap, and the name describes it all heh

or

Strike-hold Not easy to get a hold of in the civilian world outside Florida, but it's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. Spray a little on, set it down and just watch the oil disappear. It dries into a protectant after a bit with no residue. Typically used on weapons, but with enough supply we use it all over equipment and trucks. You'd probably have to get a buddy in the police force or military to hook you up w/ a reasonable amount, because the only other way is to buy bulk.