2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

2.2L Performance Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2.2L Performance Parts

Hey, I just joined this site to learn/share more about Cobalt Performance. I have been researching parts/parts applications for the 2.2L Cobalt Coupe since purchasing my 2005 model. I have found what I believe to be the best available Air Intake, Intake Manifold, Cylinder Head, Cams, Ignition System, Header and Exhaust System. I haven't purchased any of these parts b/c I need some feedback from everyone. Here's my list make your comments for each:

Intake Kit: AEM Cold Air Intake with Dry Flow Filter
Intake Manifold: Venom
Cylinder Head: Patriort Performance Stage II n (patriot-performance.com)
Cams: GMPP Hi Performance Ecotec Cams
Header: SCDyne
Ignition: Nology Hotwires complete system with Silverstone Plugs
Exhaust System: Corsa

Now where I really need help; what brand of high flow cat does everyone recommend??
What brand of fuel injectores does everyone recommend??

Thanks for your help,

Scott
Old 01-15-2006, 04:03 AM

I see you have an intake manifold on there... Do you have a link as to where one could buy it?. I did a few searches and came up with nothing, but its probably becuase I am tired

And welcome to the site
Old 01-15-2006, 05:15 AM

awww so you're going be doing an NA build...sounds expensive

Might as well add a throttle body to that list as well.

Not sure how SCDyne is and if they have everything problem worked out with their header yet. But there really isn't anything better out there except for something like a Pacesetter header or something made for the Cavalier/Sunfire.

Ignition wires? Do you we have wires?

Exhaust is really open, power gains are pretty much the same regardless.

With a high flow cat try to pick up a magnaflow or carsound high flow cat. Have someone weld it in for you and there you go...

Fuel injectors, I'm not sure which fuel injectors work with our cars...good question. Better yet does anyone know what these injectors are rated at and at what point should be switch them out for something higher flowing.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by CleanNFun
I see you have an intake manifold on there... Do you have a link as to where one could buy it?. I did a few searches and came up with nothing, but its probably becuase I am tired

And welcome to the site

Just a general link I found while poking around the net.

Click HERE

Lists it for the Cavalier 2.2L Ecotec (2001 - 04)

Unless he found something different????????????????????
Old 01-15-2006, 12:49 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CobaltCoupeCrazy
Intake Kit: AEM Cold Air Intake with Dry Flow Filter
Intake Manifold: Venom
Cylinder Head: Patriort Performance Stage II n (patriot-performance.com)
Cams: GMPP Hi Performance Ecotec Cams
Header: SCDyne
Ignition: Nology Hotwires complete system with Silverstone Plugs
Exhaust System: Corsa

Now where I really need help; what brand of high flow cat does everyone recommend??
What brand of fuel injectores does everyone recommend??
Scott
Hi Scott. I'll give you what I can. AEM or Injen seem to be the most popular intakes. I have seen and Injen installation (Wikkymasters car) and it's very clean. The brand new Venom manifold looks pretty cool, but I don't know what kind of gains you can expect from them, if any. I know they have two styles now, the original with the straight runner tubes and the new one which directly replaces the stock plastic one. Something to keep in mind, the original one will not work with an intake, you would have to get the new one.

I can't tell you too much about Patriot Performance other then they are one of the only on-line retailers of heads for the Ecotec. I would caution you against a stage 2 head however. Looking at their own flow sheets, the differences are small, and they have already gone over-size on the valve stem diameter. If you ever needed to rework that head, it would make it more costly. Their price for a stage one head assembly is a good however, assuming that "assembly" price includes the lifters and rockers. I don't think it does, because you need the cam installed to keep those pieces in place, and it does not come with a cam. Honestly, the best deal in a cylinder head is to buy a core engine and let your local machine shop clean it up for you.

Further on that note, Ferrea makes great valve train components for our heads. If you are going to use high lift cams, you MUST replace your valve springs. The stock units will not have enough rate to handle a high lift cam. Non-stock cams may also not be street legal.

The Nology system converts your ignition from a coil on plug set-up back to a remote coil pack with wires, which I'm sure you already know. That's really a personal preference thing, but I would check the street legalality of that system. It may violate emision control standards.

You exhaust components look good. I can't recommend a high flow cat, but I know Vibrant make some.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:21 AM

Exclamation Update to Replies

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the feedback. Yes, I am planning a naturally aspirated sleeper. I would like to purchase a set of the factory 16" 5-spoke wheels. That's the only thing my car doesn't have; I've got the the 15" aluminum wheels.

WebSites or Details for the Products I listed:

Nology Hotwires: Details and Demo www.nology.com/hot.html
2002-2005 Nology Ignition System for Ecotecs: www.nology.com/images/ecotecinstallation.gif double click to enlarge it after going to that page also be sure to read up on Silverstone plugs while visting this site

AEM Cold Air Intake: I couldn't get any performance figures from the AEM site the last time I was there but the system is on PerformanceCenter.com and advertised with 15HP and 12lb-ft improvements selling for $235.80; also found at modernperformance.com for $215 (both well below the suggested list of $327). Also, I like the new Dry Flow Filters, another reason I like the AEM system.

Venom Intake Manifold: venom-performance.com/nf/html/prodtoc.cfm This is the Ectotec Intake Manifold by Venom. The other unit some of you are referring to with the straight runners is for the Non-Ecotec engines, they were being sold at discount/clearance prices at JEG's.

I haven't found a throttle body for the Cobalts as of yet. I did however find one for the Ions at RSMracing.com; it is a 62mm unit but has a mechanical linkage; the Cobalts use electric drive by wire units.

Comp Cams has a few camshafts available for the 2.0 and 2.2 Ecotecs:
compcams.com/technical/catalogs/NP2006/COMPCamsNe%20ProductsBrochure.pdf once opened see page 2

GM Performance Parts also has a camshaft set: I can't find them on the web and I misplaced my 2005 GMPP catalog but I'm pretty sure I remember that they offer the greatest lift and duration of all cams that I've found.

TWM makes a short throw shifter but I thought the installation looked rather entailed. You can view this shifter and installation instructions by following their link on this site.

I inquired with both JET and Unichip about computer programmers or plug and play units and both companies told me that they should have an application available by the beginning of the year. I haven't checked their sites in a few weeks. jetchip.com and unichip.us
I'm still thinking it would be best to have a very knowledgeable team do a custom tune.

SCDyne's stand behind their product makes me desire their header over a DC Sports unit. SCDyne claims up to 10% more power, double ceramic coated (inside and out for better heat retention for higher exhaust flow velocities), lifetime warranty and if they are able to produce a better header in the future you can purchase the new one at half cost. SCDyne.com

Exhaust systems:
During my search for applicable exhuast systems I compared Borla, Corsa and Magnaflow. Borla was the least helpful and a bit rude; didn't like their public relations. I couldn't get any hard figures or a sound clip. Magnaflow uses 2.25" pipe and gains 7HP on 2.0SS Models. The Corsa Systems gain 12HP on the 2.0SS and sound clips are in the works. Corsa by far has been the most helpful and courteous of the three. There are also systems offered through GM Performance Parts at much lower prices. If you opt for the Corsa system beware of price gouging; I saw one site that is charging more than Corsa on the Corsa site.

Patriot Performance Head: Heads are offered by GMPP and Patriot-performance.com. I was interested in the Patriot head b/c I know what kind of numbers their LS1 Heads and cam combo make.

Hope this helps out!! Thanks again for all of the feedback and suggestions/advice. Let me know what else I can do to help.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:48 AM

Exclamation

UPDATES:

The Patriot Performance Heads, need Camshafts, Rockers, and Followers to be made complete.

GMPP Ecotec Camshafts:
88958649 = Ecotec Performance Camshaft Set
Performance camshaft kit for increased power in naturally aspirated and
turbocharged engines. Duration @ 0.050-inch lift is 268 degrees on the
intake and 268 degrees on the exhaust. Maximum lift is 0.464-inch for the
intake and 0.464-inch on the exhaust. Lobe centerline is 232 degrees.

CORSA Cat-backs: Guys beware, I have seen an advertised Corsa System at too good of a deal; I noticed that a close look at the pic revealed it was a GM Performance Parts Exhaust System. Make sure you are gettin' what you want when you order!!

Scott
Old 01-19-2006, 07:21 AM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by CobaltCoupeCrazy
UPDATES:

The Patriot Performance Heads, need Camshafts, Rockers, and Followers to be made complete.

GMPP Ecotec Camshafts:
88958649 = Ecotec Performance Camshaft Set
Performance camshaft kit for increased power in naturally aspirated and
turbocharged engines. Duration @ 0.050-inch lift is 268 degrees on the
intake and 268 degrees on the exhaust. Maximum lift is 0.464-inch for the
intake and 0.464-inch on the exhaust. Lobe centerline is 232 degrees.

CORSA Cat-backs: Guys beware, I have seen an advertised Corsa System at too good of a deal; I noticed that a close look at the pic revealed it was a GM Performance Parts Exhaust System. Make sure you are gettin' what you want when you order!!

Scott
We only sell true Corsa, as many can vouch for us that are on this forum.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:02 AM

i vouch fro turbo tech, they have been good to me on all my parts
Old 01-20-2006, 03:04 AM

Exclamation NO AEM for me

Well, I just looked at the AEM site and found that the AEM CAI for the 2.2L makes a gain of only 4.4HP. Guess I'll wait and see what kind of power K&N and Injen can provide.

Also about the Corsa exhaust. The near $800 figure tells me it's the real thing. I visited a site that claimed a Corsa Exhaust system for under $600 (and I mean like $560). Just wanna make sure that everyone looking to purchase a Corsa gets the Corsa. So if you want the 2.5" Corsa system in either Sport or Touring Edition for the Cobalt visit a site such as TurboTechRacing.

Scott
Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 AM

get weapon r intake and corsa is an awesome exhaust i know personally but mine was over $700, so anything under that is a steal
Old 02-14-2006, 11:52 PM

Exclamation Corsa systems 4 less than $600 at gmpartsdirect.com

I wanna announce that GMParts Direct (gmpartsdirect.com) now has the Corsa exhaust systems for less than $600. I have continuosly bugged the crap outta Corsa about the sound clips and they have told me that they have them all recorded and half of them formatted for their site; keep checking for the official Corsa sound clips (www.corsaperf.com). I also had to bug the crap out of GM parts direct to update their site for us. After an e-mail earlier today it was immediately updated.

Scott