2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

30 more whp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJHK is right...there is no way a CAI is going to ad 17HP ---5-7hp is more like it
Old 10-29-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyyankee
Weren't some of the guys on the ecotecforum replacing there balance shafts and seeing like 15-20 hp?
Not that I know of. As far as I know, no one on the forum has replaced their stock balance shafts.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey
1. i tried to start somewhere wanting to run 10:5.1 weiscos
2. hadn't thought of that i know it would help but cost a ton more
3. i figured stock bore. as you stated i'm in the learning process and not clear if overboring helps or not and whether the cylinders would need to be worked if i went that route.
4. another compenant i would have upgraded due to the higher compression but did not know thickness mattered.
5. of course
6. not a clue.
7. dont know that one either.
8. looking at the jbp 2.2/2.4 performance stage 3 cams
9. as long its its not jaw shattering wouldnt mind at all.
10. eventually being realistic but its not an immediate concern.
11. weisco, eagle, jbp and some other recommened brands handed down by my cavy buddies.
12. you got me there. the cams are ecm friendly but that changes when you factor in everything else. I have faith tuning will come soon.
13. 2800 rpm sounds about right for my driving.

dont mean to be smug pal but i felt if i dont answer you wont feel compelled to supply more knowledge.
I don't see it as smug and it's fine that you don't know some of the answers right now. Ask around, if you need any help, I'm usually around to help you. I even give out my cell phone number to anyone who wants to talk and ask questions about anything.

Like I said before, I don't know everything but I know a very good amount...if I don't know an answer, I typically could lead you to the person or place that does.

I'm not going to rip you apart or anything with a huge reply lol I'll just address a couple of things:

12. When companies advertise "ECM Friendly", that's as far as throwing PCM codes (Check Engine Lights). It's not referring to your actual air/fuel mixture. I don't care what anyone tells you, when you change a part that is critical to your engines performance and lifespan like your camshafts, you need to adjust. This is why right now, I don't recommend anyone to go inside their motor or boost cause tuning is just not available yet for your application unless you go standalone (but even if you do this, you'll loose critical daily driving instruments).

13. Recognize that typically, the more lift and duration, the higher your powerband is shifted. Instead of seeing peak power around 5500 like your stock camshafts, you could be seeing peak power beyond your rev limiter (6500), so this means that you have power that you're not even touching and you're actually making your powerband narrower (cause of the limiter) and taking it longer to reach your powerband. This could hurt you with performance. It's things like this you should learn right now.

Within the next couple of months, I'm going to buying lots of books and reading more in depth about engines, computer management, turbochargers, superchargers, 4-stroke engine performance and things of that nature to be more in detail of how things work. I recommend you do the same.

If you have anymore questions, just ask.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nickc84
NJHK is right...there is no way a CAI is going to ad 17HP ---5-7hp is more like it
Thanks but I think you're still missing the point a bit. Telling someone how much power to look forward to is misleading cause you can't honestly give an accurate number.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:35 PM

True
Old 10-30-2006, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Not that I know of. As far as I know, no one on the forum has replaced their stock balance shafts.
http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/sh...balance+shafts
Old 10-30-2006, 03:18 AM

You know, I was thinking of Fred from SMG but I didn't think he did. Ok, so thats 1 lol.

By the way, I saw you searching for it...I see all
Old 10-30-2006, 03:44 AM

the beauty of the internet^^^ and quit spying on me, lol
Old 10-30-2006, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by kyyankee
the beauty of the internet^^^ and quit spying on me, lol
Anyone who is a member can do the same thing. Don't worry, I spy on everyone.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the help i'm gonna consider the matter further.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spanky's Monkey
thanks for the help i'm gonna consider the matter further.
No problem. If you need any further help just get in contact w/ me
Old 12-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

i suggest intake, header, downpipe, exhaust, get the stage 1 cams. (reason for stage 1 is because they are functional and work without retune so your ok with those ive heard), get some weight reductions, and get some nice rims and tires to grip well. go with some new springs and a strut bar for support. i think you can also get a torque dampener for the 2.2 even tho you mainly see the ss/sc ones.

some weight reductions could be to take out trunk matt, spare tire and tools, clean your car out , take out spare seats, like the passenger, and the bench in the back. dont get rid of the back of the back seat unless you like a louder car. because then you have the trunk noise.

and do some maf sensor mod to let you run faster speeds (ask "tribalt" on cardomain for that answer). if you need your speedometer redone i think the gm dealer will redo your speedo to fit your tire size. but other than that id say wait for hptuners.

good luck
Old 12-05-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Delta2.2
i suggest intake, header, downpipe, exhaust, get the stage 1 cams. (reason for stage 1 is because they are functional and work without retune so your ok with those ive heard), get some weight reductions, and get some nice rims and tires to grip well. go with some new springs and a strut bar for support. i think you can also get a torque dampener for the 2.2 even tho you mainly see the ss/sc ones.

some weight reductions could be to take out trunk matt, spare tire and tools, clean your car out , take out spare seats, like the passenger, and the bench in the back. dont get rid of the back of the back seat unless you like a louder car. because then you have the trunk noise.

and do some maf sensor mod to let you run faster speeds (ask "tribalt" on cardomain for that answer). if you need your speedometer redone i think the gm dealer will redo your speedo to fit your tire size. but other than that id say wait for hptuners.

good luck

what does the mass airflow sensor have to do with top speed?
Old 12-05-2006, 06:55 PM

To gain 30 wheel horespower your going to have to make an exra 50 at the crank roughly, which is not exactly an easy task going na. With the amount you'll be spending on mods to acheive this you are better off just boosting the eco. Lets say you bought: Header, 2.25" exhaust with a free flowing cat, res and muffler, Injen CAI, and a few other little goodies your 3/4 away from the cost of boosting the eco and those mods will not put you even close to 30 more whp. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by p1llar
To gain 30 wheel horespower your going to have to make an exra 50 at the crank roughly, which is not exactly an easy task going na. With the amount you'll be spending on mods to acheive this you are better off just boosting the eco. Lets say you bought: Header, 2.25" exhaust with a free flowing cat, res and muffler, Injen CAI, and a few other little goodies your 3/4 away from the cost of boosting the eco and those mods will not put you even close to 30 more whp. Just my 2 cents.
30 at the wheels is closer to 40 at the crank if not less...you'd need a 40% drivetrain power loss to lose 20 to the wheels with an extra 50 crank.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:10 PM

i would buy some stickers, the turbonator thingy, electric supercharger, and lose the nice exhaust and get a coffee can on there, o and add some rice to the tank, that should put you well over your goal
Old 12-05-2006, 08:30 PM

what about the japanese symbol of power on the fuel door?
Old 12-05-2006, 09:12 PM

i forgot about them, that is the big time there, not even turbo can touch them
Old 12-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 8cd03gro
what does the mass airflow sensor have to do with top speed?
er sorry. i messed up my words there. i mean that you can go to the dealer and get your top speed changed if your running new tires to handle it. if not get a chip. the MAF increases air flow to the injectors = more fuel = more power under full throttle. the "Tribalt" on cardomain sayed that he noticed a gain in power. and hes told me that it works good.

sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive heard alot about this hp tuning kit. how much more hp do you get by using it? whats the most that anyones ever gotten from the ss/sc balt? whats the diff. between that and getting put on a dyno? sorry about the noob ?'s
Old 12-12-2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by NinjaHampster
ive heard alot about this hp tuning kit. how much more hp do you get by using it? whats the most that anyones ever gotten from the ss/sc balt? whats the diff. between that and getting put on a dyno? sorry about the noob ?'s
a dyno just measures torque and horsepower it doesn't tune anything. hp tuners is hardware/software that can retune your engine computer to use different amounts of air and fuel and changes timing etc to give you more power. i think the highest numbers anyone has gotten from a stock short block on the ss/sc was like 320fwhp, but im not positive, somebody correct me.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Within the next couple of months, I'm going to buying lots of books and reading more in depth about engines, computer management, turbochargers, superchargers, 4-stroke engine performance and things of that nature to be more in detail of how things work. I recommend you do the same.
ive got a few of those, looking to get more. MM&FF is in the middle of a series about tuning the EEC in mustangs. its more in depth than id care to get into but if youre looking to learn about that bs its pretty good. ive got a book on stroking small block fords, and im trying to get one on forced induction, compression maps, stuff like that. i cant remember who makes most of them but richard holdener from MM&FF writes alot of them. hes the guy who swapped out every single SBF head in production onto different ford motors to see an honest comparison against them all. AFR rocks for most levels, dominating the two lower tiers with the 165 and 185's. but up top TFS came on strong and beat them out. thats what made me start reading that mag.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kahless
ive got a few of those, looking to get more. MM&FF is in the middle of a series about tuning the EEC in mustangs. its more in depth than id care to get into but if youre looking to learn about that bs its pretty good. ive got a book on stroking small block fords, and im trying to get one on forced induction, compression maps, stuff like that. i cant remember who makes most of them but richard holdener from MM&FF writes alot of them. hes the guy who swapped out every single SBF head in production onto different ford motors to see an honest comparison against them all. AFR rocks for most levels, dominating the two lower tiers with the 165 and 185's. but up top TFS came on strong and beat them out. thats what made me start reading that mag.
I've got a book for Turbocharging and explains compressor maps in it as well if you want the name.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Delta2.2
er sorry. i messed up my words there. i mean that you can go to the dealer and get your top speed changed if your running new tires to handle it. if not get a chip. the MAF increases air flow to the injectors = more fuel = more power under full throttle. the "Tribalt" on cardomain sayed that he noticed a gain in power. and hes told me that it works good.

sorry for the confusion.
You can not chip these OBDII computers...

As far as the MAF, the MAF only reads or "senses" air flow which translates to the PCM on how much fuel should be added. Just cause you increase airflow doesn't mean the PCM knows exactly how much fuel needs to be there.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:46 PM

You can not chip these OBDII computers...

As far as the MAF, the MAF only reads or "senses" air flow which translates to the PCM on how much fuel should be added. Just cause you increase airflow doesn't mean the PCM knows exactly how much fuel needs to be there.

Actually the MAF is only part of the equation. The exhaust O2 sensor gives a signal that the PCM uses to adjust fuel amounts. If more air enters the engine the O2 sensor signal adjusts for the increase in O2 content and the PCM increases fuel flow to compensate. That's why computer cars no longer need chokes, the PCM adjusts fuel flow based on preset parameters until the O2 sensor can provide the neccessary data.

Quick Reply: 30 more whp?