2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

another tuning option

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06Pursuit
well lets say for argument that we have a 2.2L Base model Cobalt/Pursuit. It has airbags and power locks but thats it. No ABS, Traction control, Stabilaty Control, or any kind of driver assist. The transmission is also a manual not an auto. By adding a SAFMS, the air bags and door locks and driver comforts such as A/C, Cruise, Driver Information Center and Security system are all disabled. Generaly speaking, these systems do no make the car street legal, they make it safer/more comfortable. The vehicle would still run and pass standerdized provincial saftey testing (i don't know about US rules on safeties but im sure thier close to being the same as ours). Which brings me to belive that SAFMS are street LEGAL, its just all these years people belived diffrently because they disabled such systems as airbags and TRAC-Control. just my 2cents
You're making some sense but the fact of the matter is that it really depends on alot of things...for example, what state you live in, how strict they are and things of that nature. If they open your hood and see a monstrous turbo charger that they KNOW is not supposed to be in your vehicle, chances are they would tell you that you failed regardless of your emissions. I know people in jersey where they gave them a hard time for having an intake...

This is what you have to consider as well.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJHK
You're making some sense but the fact of the matter is that it really depends on alot of things...for example, what state you live in, how strict they are and things of that nature. If they open your hood and see a monstrous turbo charger that they KNOW is not supposed to be in your vehicle, chances are they would tell you that you failed regardless of your emissions. I know people in jersey where they gave them a hard time for having an intake...

This is what you have to consider as well.

this is also true. There are alot of things to consider before going this route.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:07 PM

this is also true. There are alot of things to consider before going this route.
Bingo.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:55 PM

Piggy back systems wouldn't work properly on your vehicle, so I wouldn't even think about that.
So the SAFC i just put n my car and started tuning with won't work?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by bc3tech
So the SAFC i just put n my car and started tuning with won't work?
And tell me how well it works...

By the way, why are you using an SAFC if you DFMU works oh so well?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:09 PM

And tell me how well it works...

By the way, why are you using an SAFC if you DFMU works oh so well?
SAFC works fine, just have to put in the RL injectors i've got and i'll be set until we get some ECM tuning. Since it has capability for (only) +50% voltage boost to the injectors, it won't handle as much boost as i'm pushing. so upgrading the injectors will allow to get around this. using an SAFC on a n/a 2.2 would be a good idea to tune for a 13.1 AFR for a little bit more power.

I'm using SAFC for more accuracy - 12 points of adjustment vs 5 on the DFMU - in tuning across the band.

ECM tuning will provide even more accuracy as well as capability for adding/removing timing to handle even more boost.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:12 PM

SAFC works fine, just have to put in the RL injectors i've got and i'll be set until we get some ECM tuning

Using SAFC for more accuracy - 12 points of adjustment vs 5 on the DFMU - in tuning across the band.

ECM tuning will provide even more accuracy as well as capability for adding/removing timing to handle even more boost.

So you're using 2 forms of fuel management just to accomplish one job? That doesn't sound very effective to me...
Old 01-09-2007, 05:24 PM

So you're using 2 forms of fuel management just to accomplish one job? That doesn't sound very effective to me...
um no.... the DFMU will be outta the equation once the larger injectors go in.

even if you wanted to be a smartass, both are still cheaper than a) not tuning and blowing myself up or b) buying an ECM programmer (like HPTuners)

"not effective" implies it has no effect. it definitely does. efficient, maybe not, but it gets the job at hand accomplished w/o paying for ($$ and/or stress-wise) a standalone.

Last edited by bc3tech; 01-09-2007 at 05:39 PM. Reason: to make the post NJHK-friendly
Old 01-09-2007, 05:31 PM

um no.... the DFMU will be outta the equation once the larger injectors go in.

even if you wanted to be a smartass, both are still cheaper than a) not tuning and blowing myself up or b) buying HPT

"not effective" implies it has no effect. it definitely does. efficient, maybe not, but it gets the job at hand accomplished w/o paying for ($$ and/or stress-wise) a standalone.
My ass isn't the smart portion of my body

I said "doesn't seem very effective", meaning that it doesn't seem like it works that well, not at all.

The thing I don't understand is why you tell people how great the DFMU is but yet you're using something on top of it to achieve the performance and fuel consumption you're looking for. Also, if you could buy HP Tuners, you would or atleast you act like you would the way you were complaining that they wouldn't support your vehicle.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:37 PM

My ass isn't the smart portion of my body

I said "doesn't seem very effective", meaning that it doesn't seem like it works that well, not at all.

The thing I don't understand is why you tell people how great the DFMU is but yet you're using something on top of it to achieve the performance and fuel consumption you're looking for. Also, if you could buy HP Tuners, you would or atleast you act like you would the way you were complaining that they wouldn't support your vehicle.
bugger off man, it's your fault you made the sweeping generality about piggybacks, not mine.

I tell people that the DFMU works and does its purpose. it was PERFECT for 5psi or thereabouts because the precision of the 5 sliders on it was great. however now that i'm at 10psi at my altitude, it needs to be more precise of a tune. Search anywhere i hang out regularly and you'll see that i've told ppl the DFMU works but i'd go w/ the new unichip setup (also piggyback) or SMT-6 (kind of a hybrid to my understanding) if i were to get the speedmafia kit now (they didn't have the unichip when i got it).

i'm using something instead of it. not on top of it.

i reference HPT as example, not as what i'd get. if i said SCT Livewire nobody'd know WTF i was talking about. would "ECM programmer" make you happy? i'll edit my post when i'm done here.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:47 PM

bugger off man, it's your fault you made the sweeping generality about piggybacks, not mine.

I tell people that the DFMU works and does its purpose. it was PERFECT for 5psi or thereabouts because the precision of the 5 sliders on it was great. however now that i'm at 10psi at my altitude, it needs to be more precise of a tune. Search anywhere i hang out regularly and you'll see that i've told ppl the DFMU works but i'd go w/ the new unichip setup (also piggyback) or SMT-6 (kind of a hybrid to my understanding) if i were to get the speedmafia kit now (they didn't have the unichip when i got it).

i'm using something instead of it. not on top of it.

i reference HPT as example, not as what i'd get. if i said SCT Livewire nobody'd know WTF i was talking about. would "ECM programmer" make you happy? i'll edit my post when i'm done here.
When people refer to piggybacks, they're talking about devices that try to manipulate signals to the PCM. It's still utilizing the PCM for sending a signal to the injectors for fuel. Maybe you have different names for it but this is what I refer to it.

I said you would buy HP Tuners because of the way you were acting when HP Tuners didn't want to support your computer. To me, someone who is willing to go on every forum and post up a link to vote evidentally wants to use their product and wants that company to support their application so they can use that product. If I'm wrong, sue me but thats what you were implying by doing so.

You're saying you're using something instead of it, not on top of it...so are you using the SAFC alone or are you using both the SAFC and DFMU? Which is it?

And the "bugger off" comment, I didn't make you reply, you did it on your own. Also, I never said that they wouldn't work, I said they wouldn't work PROPERLY but go ahead and do what you want to your car and say what you want as far as how great it's working...doesn't bother me one bit.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:57 PM

When people refer to piggybacks, they're talking about devices that try to manipulate signals to the PCM. It's still utilizing the PCM for sending a signal to the injectors for fuel. Maybe you have different names for it but this is what I refer to it.
thanks teacher... wtf do you think I think it is?
I said you would buy HP Tuners because of the way you were acting when HP Tuners didn't want to support your computer. To me, someone who is willing to go on every forum and post up a link to vote evidentally wants to use their product and wants that company to support their application so they can use that product. If I'm wrong, sue me but thats what you were implying by doing so.
and clearly you didn't keep up on the "**** HPT, go vote on SCT's website because they're not pompous asses" comments i made shortly thereafter. even on your forum... wow.
You're saying you're using something instead of it, not on top of it...so are you using the SAFC alone or are you using both the SAFC and DFMU? Which is it?
ok let me slow this down for ya, corky...

Step 1) Install DFMU and attempt tuning, realize not as precise as need be
Step 2) investigate alternatives, find others that have installed and document installation of SAFC-II on the 2.2
Step 3) Install SAFC-II on 2.2 and see how she works, with DFMU 0'd out and unplugged
Step 4) Realize SAFC-II does in fact alter the AFR to be richer, just not rich enough due to stock injector size - Redline (32#) injectors on standby
Step 5) Connect DFMU back up so car doesn't blow while waiting for warm weather to install new injectors
Step 6) bitch slap NJHK for saying piggybacks don't work on the 2.2L
And the "bugger off" comment, I didn't make you reply, you did it on your own. Also, I never said that they wouldn't work, I said they wouldn't work PROPERLY but go ahead and do what you want to your car and say what you want as far as how great it's working...doesn't bother me one bit.
they work entirely properly... wtf... and i will say what i observe not what i want - unlike some people. try something out or do some research before you tell people what they should or should not do w/ their cars, man.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well lets say for argument that we have a 2.2L Base model Cobalt/Pursuit. It has airbags and power locks but thats it. No ABS, Traction control, Stabilaty Control, or any kind of driver assist. The transmission is also a manual not an auto. By adding a SAFMS, the air bags and door locks and driver comforts such as A/C, Cruise, Driver Information Center and Security system are all disabled. Generaly speaking, these systems do no make the car street legal, they make it safer/more comfortable. The vehicle would still run and pass standerdized provincial saftey testing (i don't know about US rules on safeties but im sure thier close to being the same as ours). Which brings me to belive that SAFMS are street LEGAL, its just all these years people belived diffrently because they disabled such systems as airbags and TRAC-Control. just my 2cents
don't forget your guages... they won't work either... there's other things as well, i just can't remember what they are... halfcent knows alot about this area...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:03 PM

thanks teacher... wtf do you think I think it is?
and clearly you didn't keep up on the "**** HPT, go vote on SCT's website because they're not pompous asses" comments i made shortly thereafter. even on your forum... wow.
ok let me slow this down for ya, corky...

Step 1) Install DFMU and attempt tuning, realize not as precise as need be
Step 2) investigate alternatives, find others that have installed and document installation of SAFC-II on the 2.2
Step 3) Install SAFC-II on 2.2 and see how she works, with DFMU 0'd out and unplugged
Step 4) Realize SAFC-II does in fact alter the AFR to be richer, just not rich enough due to stock injector size - Redline (32#) injectors on standby
Step 5) Connect DFMU back up so car doesn't blow while waiting for warm weather to install new injectors
Step 6) bitch slap NJHK for saying piggybacks don't work on the 2.2L
they work entirely properly... wtf... and i will say what i observe not what i want - unlike some people. try something out or do some research before you tell people what they should or should not do w/ their cars, man.
I kept up with the **** HP Tuners but I'm talking about BEFORE hand when you all up their ass every 5 minutes with a post and YOU and YOUR actions almost totally turned HP Tuners away from the Deltas...so good job!

I'd really love to see you bitch slap me. I mean, saying you're going to hurt me on an Internet forum a big difference in real life. Minnesotta isn't that far, so you can bring your super efficient pro-charged plastic mobile to Tennessee and lets see if you will really slap me. I didn't threaten you but if you want to say you're going to do some type of action like that, I'd really like to see you do it.

Little do you know that I've used an SAFC on a ******* 2.2 L61 on MY car at one point...so before you tell me what to research on, know my background and know who you're talking to, ok buddy?

So now go ahead and bitch and moan that I said that something won't work and that the big bad warewolf is being mean to you.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok guys, let's keep it civil...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
ok guys, let's keep it civil...
I have no problem doing that
Old 01-09-2007, 06:38 PM

I kept up with the **** HP Tuners but I'm talking about BEFORE hand when you all up their ass every 5 minutes with a post and YOU and YOUR actions almost totally turned HP Tuners away from the Deltas...so good job!

I'd really love to see you bitch slap me. I mean, saying you're going to hurt me on an Internet forum a big difference in real life. Minnesotta isn't that far, so you can bring your super efficient pro-charged plastic mobile to Tennessee and lets see if you will really slap me. I didn't threaten you but if you want to say you're going to do some type of action like that, I'd really like to see you do it.

Little do you know that I've used an SAFC on a ******* 2.2 L61 on MY car at one point...so before you tell me what to research on, know my background and know who you're talking to, ok buddy?

So now go ahead and bitch and moan that I said that something won't work and that the big bad warewolf is being mean to you.
oh you are wise beyond your years NJHK... i bow to your modness...
would that 2.2 l61 be the infamous sunfire i've heard about?

you are too powerful and have now made me cry so i'm going to leave everybody must concede to NJHK's uber-knowledge of all things ecotec...
Old 01-09-2007, 06:41 PM

you are too powerful and have now made me cry so i'm going to leave everybody must concede to NJHK's uber-knowledge of all things ecotec...
If you think I know everything about ECOTECs, fine but I never said I do and I don't feel I do. You're just being sarcastic cause you have no other comeback.

Oh yes, I'm talking about the "infamous" sunfire...problem?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:08 PM

wow this is unbeleiveable. Do me a favor, do a search for posts made by NJHK. 95% of the time, they are the most informative, unbiased awnsers i have ever seen. Him and Halfcent are the best things to ever happen to my Pursuit. I'll take they're advice before I start to believe your piggyback set up.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:00 AM

he never has clamed to know all but he does his best to help us when he can, more then i've seen you you do. so if your going to keep calling out members who contrubute more then you, please take that plastic caskit back to the redline froums.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:40 AM

I dont really know much about this **** but WHY woldnt a piggy back work with our cars? and also increasing the AFR kill fuel millage?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by halfj99
he never has clamed to know all but he does his best to help us when he can, more then i've seen you you do. so if your going to keep calling out members who contrubute more then you, please take that plastic caskit back to the redline froums.
haha that was great.

Pursuit, I really appreciate compliments.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 AM

haha that was great.

Pursuit, I really appreciate compliments.
no prob man.

Originally Posted by Red06LS
I dont really know much about this **** but WHY woldnt a piggy back work with our cars? and also increasing the AFR kill fuel millage?

BYW Piggy backs dont work because the evil GM engineiers(sp?) thought it would be funny to give the 2.2 fort knox for a ecu. lol thats probably not really why but im sure NJHK has a better explination
Old 01-10-2007, 02:08 AM

So if i plugged in one of those controllers my ecu would be like "WTF i dont think so!"??

Edit; I looked up AFC's and it seems like Apexi is like the only company making them, is that right?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:06 AM

If you think I know everything about ECOTECs, fine but I never said I do and I don't feel I do. You're just being sarcastic cause you have no other comeback.

Oh yes, I'm talking about the "infamous" sunfire...problem?
wow this is unbeleiveable. Do me a favor, do a search for posts made by NJHK. 95% of the time, they are the most informative, unbiased awnsers i have ever seen. Him and Halfcent are the best things to ever happen to my Pursuit. I'll take they're advice before I start to believe your piggyback set up.
Originally Posted by halfj99
nah - i gotta keep the bad knowledge from propogating. that means "spreading," btw.

It will work with our cars. and increasing the air to fuel ratio would make you have a lean tune and go "boom" - decreasing it (making it richer) causes more fuel to go into the engine, so your gas mileage would go down.
no prob man.

BYW Piggy backs dont work because the evil GM engineiers(sp?) thought it would be funny to give the 2.2 fort knox for a ecu. lol thats probably not really why but im sure NJHK has a better explination
they don't work huh? how 'bout you click here: http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nt=SAFC003.flv yes i'm sure he does have a better explanation.

So if i plugged in one of those controllers my ecu would be like "WTF i dont think so!"??

Edit; I looked up AFC's and it seems like Apexi is like the only company making them, is that right?
that's one of the ones that's most popular and has been proven to work on cobalts and ions

and for the rest of you that don't think they work....
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nt=SAFC002.flv
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nt=SAFC001.flv

this thread makes me laugh.

Last edited by bc3tech; 01-10-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: another tuning option