2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

another tuning option

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Disrespecting and arguing with people in a thread isn't allowed people. If you want to argue the aspects of using a piggy back, thats fine, but don't insult each other.

The ECM in the Cobalt controls many functions in the car besides just fuel and ignition like a typical ECM of the past. For that reason, a stand alone can not be used in the Cobalts without loosing the following as well:

Power steering
Cruise Control
Gauge Cluster
Your entire Automatic transmission if you have one

Several features of the Body Control Module use data from the ECM as well.

Piggy back units in the Cobalt will work, but you WILL get a check engine light. As it was mentioned, it varies by states, but in Illinois, if you have any codes, you fail emissions, even if the car is running perfectly fine. That's another reason I tell people who have had a CEL that has gone away to still go get it scanned and cleared.

Additionally, a piggyback will not control ignition. Only fuel.

Last edited by Halfcent; 01-10-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfcent
Disrespecting and arguing with people in a thread isn't allowed people. If you want to argue the aspects of using a piggy back, thats fine, but don't insult each other.

The ECM in the Cobalt controls many functions in the car besides just fuel and ignition like a typical ECM of the past. For that reason, a stand alone can not be used in the Cobalts without loosing the following as well:

Power steering
Cruise Control
Gauge Cluster
Your entire Automatic transmission if you have one

Several features of the Body Control Module use data from the ECM as well.

Piggy back units in the Cobalt will work, but you WILL get a check engine light. As it was mentioned, it varies by states, but in Illinois, if you have any codes, you fail emissions, even if the car is running perfectly fine. That's another reason I tell people who have had a CEL that has gone away to still go get it scanned and cleared.
no CEL here.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by bc3tech
no CEL here.
Not saying that you'll get one, but a lot of CELs take a certiain amount, or time to set. say, 5 restarts, or what ever, it varies on the code
Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by NoRemorse
Not saying that you'll get one, but a lot of CELs take a certiain amount, or time to set. say, 5 restarts, or what ever, it varies on the code
before i corrected my wiring i had instaCEL but now that everything's all good, no CEL.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NoRemorse
And some codes need oddball requirements to be set, like driving above 55 mph for 5 minutes, lol. People who know who they are (RLers), please see my post at "home")
Old 01-10-2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by shabodah
And some codes need oddball requirements to be set, like driving above 55 mph for 5 minutes, lol. People who know who they are (RLers), please see my post at "home")
home, lol.

I'll try to dig up alist of the comon DTC and thier requirements to be set. But shabs right, dirivng 330+mph for a 10+min stint. They are odd.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm old school

Just a matter of time, I assure you.

Do you have a scanner? These computers will actually store "pending" codes before activating the CEL. for some codes, it has to see the same issue a couple times first before it turns on the light. You can see pending codes with a scanner.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tiny
i think it has to do with inspection, the ECM contains the VIN number, but i dont know what the standalones contain or don't contain
Well in MD there is no inspection. We have emissions checks which require your ECU to have an OBD2 port. If you don't have that they can use the sniffer, but you don't want the sniffer, you want OBD2 to say everything is fine. Basically you need to find out what works in your jursidiction.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by bc3tech
So the SAFC i just put n my car and started tuning with won't work?

We it depends on what you mean by work. The SAFC is very rudimentary as far as piggy backs go. You really need to be able to fool/modify several sensors to avoid limp mode. The SAFC can only fool one at a time, either the MAF or MAP.

You need to be able to fool the MAF/MAP/SCIP at the same time to avoid the codes that will put you in limp mode. I ran a piggy back for some time like yours and I couldn't get it to do anything worth while, you might be able to use it to compensate for some injectors, but nor more than 10-20% larger.

Be careful when you lower the MAF you are telling the PCM there is less air in the cylinder and it will actually increase timing. Pull to much and the MAF doesn't agree with the VE table and your going to be limping

It works in a limited fashion.

All my opinion.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
Well in MD there is no inspection. We have emissions checks which require your ECU to have an OBD2 port. If you don't have that they can use the sniffer, but you don't want the sniffer, you want OBD2 to say everything is fine. Basically you need to find out what works in your jursidiction.
thanks thats all i needed to know
Old 01-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A tuneable piggy-back be it SAFC,DFMU, Megasquirt etc etc is unfortunatley still the only real available tuning solution for the 2.2
BUT
They certainly DO come with significant limitiations (I for one would NOT wish to go back to where we were with the LSJ tuning just 1 year ago)

I sure would love to see HPT get going on it but I wouldnt hold my breath...
Too bad
Wop
Old 01-10-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm old school

Where you been Wop? HPT kindda gave up us, but SCT LiveWire is going to support us under contract, so it really is just a matter of time now.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
We it depends on what you mean by work. The SAFC is very rudimentary as far as piggy backs go. You really need to be able to fool/modify several sensors to avoid limp mode. The SAFC can only fool one at a time, either the MAF or MAP.

You need to be able to fool the MAF/MAP/SCIP at the same time to avoid the codes that will put you in limp mode. I ran a piggy back for some time like yours and I couldn't get it to do anything worth while, you might be able to use it to compensate for some injectors, but nor more than 10-20% larger.

Be careful when you lower the MAF you are telling the PCM there is less air in the cylinder and it will actually increase timing. Pull to much and the MAF doesn't agree with the VE table and your going to be limping

It works in a limited fashion.

All my opinion.
but with bc3tech's setup, he actually has the old style Ecotec with MAP but no MAF.

So, he should have a little bit more success I would think...
Old 01-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
but with bc3tech's setup, he actually has the old style Ecotec with MAP but no MAF.

So, he should have a little bit more success I would think...
are you serious? ur telling me this guy is running the old school ecotec...00-04? If this is true, this guy really needs to watch wat hes sayin. We're running a completely diffrent computer then him.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 06Pursuit
are you serious? ur telling me this guy is running the old school ecotec...00-04? If this is true, this guy really needs to watch wat hes sayin. We're running a completely diffrent computer then him.
Te hehehe

By the way, the Ions were brought out in 2003 w/an ECOTEC, the ECOTEC came out in the Jbodies in 2002.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by NJHK
Te hehehe

By the way, the Ions were brought out in 2003 w/an ECOTEC, the ECOTEC came out in the Jbodies in 2002.
right right, thx for the corrections
Old 01-12-2007, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by 06Pursuit
right right, thx for the corrections
No problem.