2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Any questions about what things are.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any questions about what things are.....

I am starting this thread because I have some things i don't know what they are. I've read through the forums and I can't find anyone else asking these questions, so if you have a question about what something is or where it goes, post it here.....

Now for my question, I have a second smaller plastic tube that used to run off of my stock airbox...anyone know what it is/does?

Thanks yall, I feel dumb now...
Old 09-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Banned

the breather tube? did it run to the engine from the intake? if so it's the breather tube for the intake
Old 09-18-2007, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by avenger09123
I am starting this thread because I have some things i don't know what they are. I've read through the forums and I can't find anyone else asking these questions, so if you have a question about what something is or where it goes, post it here.....

Now for my question, I have a second smaller plastic tube that used to run off of my stock airbox...anyone know what it is/does?

Thanks yall, I feel dumb now...
it's either for the breather or a secondary air injection tube... which might be metal. not sure as I don't have it.

Did it look like this?

that's the SAI tube
Old 09-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think all 07' LS have the SAI
Old 09-18-2007, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by REIGNftSOLDIER
they do. I'm just not sure if that's what he's talking about.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:07 AM

Some, not all 07's have SAI. My LS does not have it.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Black07LS
Some, not all 07's have SAI. My LS does not have it.
my bad. thought sai was for the 07 emmisions. But it must just have been mandatory for cars built after a certain date.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:20 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

it might be a Cali emmision thing
Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 AM

Yeah, not all 07's have one. I have an 07 2.2L, and I don't. I bought my car in February, with 10 miles on it, so maybe it does have something to do with the production date.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it might be an option...i know CA 2.2's usually have SAI....my cobalt has SAI and 2 cats, and its an '06
Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 PM

it might be a Cali emmision thing
Ya it's cali emmisions BS from mid 06-up
Old 09-18-2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
it might be an option...i know CA 2.2's usually have SAI....my cobalt has SAI and 2 cats, and its an '06
enough with the 2 cats...its not any more restrictive than 1 cat.

they took 1 cat and split up it's job into 2 different cats.

car still puts out the same numbers...

Originally Posted by Black07LS
Ya it's cali emmisions BS from mid 06-up
cali, ny, and a few other states.

unless your car was special ordered by yourself or by your dealer, you have this.

if the dealer just requested 10 Cobalt LS's with automatics, good chance they got them with SAI b/c the dealers trade alot.

but if the dealer wanted 5 Cobalt LS's with XM and lets say..Onstar..and they were not in a "Cali Emmisions" state, then good chance they Don't have SAI

pretty much luck of the draw for the consumer. its not a big deal, SAI makes no difference with HP, it only runs on a cold startup to help lower emmisions while you idle the engine, warming the car.

Last edited by shawn672; 09-18-2007 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by shawn672

cali, ny, and a few other states.

unless your car was special ordered by yourself or by your dealer, you have this.

if the dealer just requested 10 Cobalt LS's with automatics, good chance they got them with SAI b/c the dealers trade alot.

but if the dealer wanted 5 Cobalt LS's with XM and lets say..Onstar..and they were not in a "Cali Emmisions" state, then good chance they Don't have SAI

pretty much luck of the draw for the consumer. its not a big deal, SAI makes no difference with HP, it only runs on a cold startup to help lower emmisions while you idle the engine, warming the car.
I'm pretty sure no one has said that it hinders performance directly, but it makes header options go down the drain and most turbo kits won't work with it. So it's a pain in the ass.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM

Thumbs up Yep that was it....crapola

dude yep that was it in the picture. I was hoping that wasn't SAI, crap, I was praying it was a second tube to run to the A/C. Well wait a minute, I have 1 catalytic in mine, and I live in Vegas. I'll do some digging and find out if any of you don't know, all SAI does (as far as I can tell) is increase volume of air going out by diluting the exhaust with fresh air, therefore lowering the numbers that the o2 sensor reads. I'll have to do a lot of digging but, in theory, if you replaced your computer with a non SAI computer, and removed the SAI related stuff in your car, you could go without it as long as its not california. the non SAI cpu would not even register anything missing if it didn't know it was supposed to be there in the first place. if that would work then you could replace your headers and whatnot, and remove that crap out of your car and lose some weight if this makes sense, what's ur guys's 2 cents?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:20 PM

dude yep that was it in the picture. I was hoping that wasn't SAI, crap, I was praying it was a second tube to run to the A/C. Well wait a minute, I have 1 catalytic in mine, and I live in Vegas. I'll do some digging and find out if any of you don't know, all SAI does (as far as I can tell) is increase volume of air going out by diluting the exhaust with fresh air, therefore lowering the numbers that the o2 sensor reads. I'll have to do a lot of digging but, in theory, if you replaced your computer with a non SAI computer, and removed the SAI related stuff in your car, you could go without it as long as its not california. the non SAI cpu would not even register anything missing if it didn't know it was supposed to be there in the first place. if that would work then you could replace your headers and whatnot, and remove that crap out of your car and lose some weight if this makes sense, what's ur guys's 2 cents?
It can be done with a reflash, if you can find a deaer that will do it.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shawn672

what do you mean "enough"? i havent even started talking about em.....it might be because your relatively new, but im a strong believer that removing a cat is only good for 1-2hp, if that...im aware they dont restrict to any noticeable degree...soo uhh...care to explain why your jumping on my back?
Old 09-19-2007, 06:55 AM

Read the SAI thread. there is a link to it in the 2.2 reflash link in my signature. in there are the directions for removing it as well. it takes a dealer to remove it so its not exactly easy.

SAI flushes extra air into the exhaust manifold during a cold start to help eliminate and dilute leftover gasses. it is usually only turned on for 15-120 seconds and then clicks off. if you follow that tube it will go down in front of your engine where there is a pump and then back around and behind to the exhaust manifold.