2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Anyone turboed or supercharged please chime in!!!(or if you can help lol)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone turboed or supercharged please chime in!!!(or if you can help lol)

since us lowly 2.2s are rather restricted tuning wise (trifecta or ls2edit(which i havnt heard about too many people using), and more than likely have someone else do it...) when you make the decision to go forced induction and need then tune more than ever,has anyone considered an engine harness and computer swap from an lsj?? (essentially to make tuning more readily available)if im not mistaken the l61 is basically a stroked n/a lsj...does anyone know if the harness will physically connect to the engine completely? i was told the guage cluster and pretty much everything else will fit and work properly so why wouldnt the engine harness right? haha jk either way it would be easier than swapping in an lsj and all the fixins but still have the same tuneability

i am an 07 if that helps lol
Old 11-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not worth the hassle. just turbo or s/c your 2.2 i used trifecta lots of great resualts so far from him.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by constantproject
since us lowly 2.2s are rather restricted tuning wise (trifecta or ls2edit(which i havnt heard about too many people using), and more than likely have someone else do it...) when you make the decision to go forced induction and need then tune more than ever,has anyone considered an engine harness and computer swap from an lsj?? (essentially to make tuning more readily available)if im not mistaken the l61 is basically a stroked n/a lsj...does anyone know if the harness will physically connect to the engine completely? i was told the guage cluster and pretty much everything else will fit and work properly so why wouldnt the engine harness right? haha jk either way it would be easier than swapping in an lsj and all the fixins but still have the same tuneability

i am an 07 if that helps lol
mechanically, the L61 is a stroked LSJ (rather, the LSJ is a destroked L61...we were here first), but electronically, its a bit different. things such as the L61 using a CAN bus system, vs the LSJ's PT system and the two using different reluctor wheels for the crank trigger make them not a compatable swap electronically. I believe you'd have to swap a lot of the components over
Old 11-07-2009, 07:16 PM

i still have my supercharger kit if u would like it. iam trying to get rid of it
Old 11-08-2009, 12:12 AM

hunterkiller is correct because of the ignition system it might be a little tricky, but if you have a lap not l61 I think it would be relatively easy to do... but l61 has the casette style coils like mine and different reluctor wheel setup that has unequal length cams as where the lap has the same ignition as the other SS models and same cam length.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:57 AM

ok, it was just a thought for when i do go f/i because it seems there is alot more support, tune wise, for the lsj. i figured there would be a few small things that would make it difficult lol but if you had the engine out it would be a perfect time to change the harness if you were going to because then you can get to all the firewall plugs that would need to be changed too ( thats right i mean damn near the entire car harness lol guages and all)

i might do some more in depth research on the lnf system too because the direct injection ( and turbo) are serious power makers and a top end swap onto a 2.2 would involve a whole harness to control fuel pressure etc etc...

cobaltsky05 what do you mean by cassett style coils?

slobalt pm me , im not ready yet but maybe we can work something out... lemme know
Old 11-08-2009, 12:25 PM

I don't have coil on plug... later models of the 2.2 (lap not l61 motor code) came with COP or individual single coil per cylinder. My style of ignition is called waste spark, and if it's not grounded just the way it wants to be I have all sorts of misfires.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cobaltsky05
I don't have coil on plug... later models of the 2.2 (lap not l61 motor code) came with COP or individual single coil per cylinder. My style of ignition is called waste spark, and if it's not grounded just the way it wants to be I have all sorts of misfires.
'07 L61 have COP as well.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:31 AM

yes, i do...wasnt sure if you were just calling it something else...

anyone have any thoughts on the 2.2 lnf top end swap?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We are not hondas stop trying to mix heads and blocks. Not worth the effort. Not to mention finding the **** for cheap isn't easy. Just sc or turbo it and have trifecta tine it. I'm pushing 16psi on my 2.2 fine. Well except my clutch is slipping. But that's what happends when u make a stock clutch run 100+more wtrq than stock
Old 11-09-2009, 11:26 AM

WHOA! on stock internals? that's very good tuning on Vince's part. I have heard 10-11psi is pushing it, but I know volume of air supercharged at 10psi is not the same as turbo. What is the real limit of the 2.2 POWER wise then? anyone know?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Jn2

Yeah, 16psi is fun. All stock internals. Evenrunning the stock clutch. I was making 11psi on stock pulley, 13-14 on the 3.0", and now 15-16 on the 2.8"...really makes driving the car a lot funner.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:19 PM

lol for a dd i will do that but at least try and tune it myself, but in the future..or if i fall into a pile of money i want to build a hardcore street engine and direct injection and turbo is the best way to go( asa far as i know, to date any ecotech head will bolt to any ecotech block...th biggest problem with that is that its computer controlled direct injection( airplanes have used mechanical direct injection for a long time)...therefore i would hve to use the lnf computer or a stand alone...im not planning on doing it soon but i will look at every option till i am and there are alot of people on here with alot of knowledge so i figured i would ask...

jn2 are you on stock bottom end still??i will be going boosted hopefully in spring shortly after i do my suspension stuff... and i dont do things like that small...if im gonna supercharge it it will not be a stock pulley, prolly ported mani and charger, ported head, stu mod at the very least... but i dont want to do bottom end yet ( what i have priced out will take me a while lol)

nvm sky got it up before me lol

Last edited by constantproject; 11-09-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Jn2

Originally Posted by Jn2
Yeah, 16psi is fun. All stock internals. Evenrunning the stock clutch. I was making 11psi on stock pulley, 13-14 on the 3.0", and now 15-16 on the 2.8"...really makes driving the car a lot funner.

Yes I'm on all stock internals. NOTHING is done to the block or head. Only thing that's came of is the valve cover to be painted.

Last edited by Jn2; 11-09-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 PM

Its not worth the trouble to go that route anymore now that there are tuning options.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
Its not worth the trouble to go that route anymore now that there are tuning options.
to go direct injection it is... and i dont want to pay between 100 and 275 every couple months because i do something else to my car and need i tuned...and then wait for it to come in the mail lol
Old 11-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Jn2

Y do u want drirect injection? 2.2's have made good power without it.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:16 PM

to go direct injection it is... and i dont want to pay between 100 and 275 every couple months because i do something else to my car and need i tuned...and then wait for it to come in the mail lol
Easy answer: save up your money, buy all your parts at once, and only have to tune it once.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 PM

ok you guys are missing the point of this thread...

i was asking a question to gain knowledge for the future, thats all..

and im not dissing trifecta, but a one time tune wont work with me. if you knew me you would know i cant leave anything alone.
so for future reference i wanted to know what other people know about the differences in the wiring harnesses, sensors etc.. so that in the future i may use said information to build and be able to tune an engine that makes big power reliably. and coming from an aviation background( and the fact that the lnf is savage with as little as a tune) i want to go direct injection...in the future

thats all, im not asking for opinions on how i should do my car right right now, but im not saying they are not welcomed

and while i think alot of peope are having really good luck with trifecta, i want to be able to do more to it when i want/need to not when the fedex guy gets here lol, i will probably get ls2edit for when i go s/c if anyone has any tips or hints for using it??

sorry if i seem like a dick because im really not trying to be but i am looking for information like hunterkiller89 gave that was pretty technical, because thats what im lookin for, thanks so far guys, keep the tech info coming
Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 PM

Really, if you want to be the consummate tinkerer, you need to pick up a copy of LS2Edit and start learning how to tune your car yourself.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 PM

...read he post above yours again lol, i plan to
Old 11-09-2009, 06:43 PM

There was one member on here that swapped an LSJ i believe into his 2.2. It doesnt seem worth it IMO, but it opens up HPT as a tuning option. I would imagine swapping the LNF in (or even just DI itself) would be pretty difficult. There would need to be an ECM swap, the BCM should be fine since they are both CAN bus systems, but you would have to do a LOT of modification to the fuel system to add DI to the car.

I can brea dow just about every difference between the LSJ, LNF, L61, and LAP for you if you like (though i'd prefer you pick two for me to compare), though many of the differences dont contribute any problems to swapping motors.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:04 AM

ok you guys are missing the point of this thread...

i was asking a question to gain knowledge for the future, thats all..

and im not dissing trifecta, but a one time tune wont work with me. if you knew me you would know i cant leave anything alone.
so for future reference i wanted to know what other people know about the differences in the wiring harnesses, sensors etc.. so that in the future i may use said information to build and be able to tune an engine that makes big power reliably. and coming from an aviation background( and the fact that the lnf is savage with as little as a tune) i want to go direct injection...in the future

thats all, im not asking for opinions on how i should do my car right right now, but im not saying they are not welcomed

and while i think alot of peope are having really good luck with trifecta, i want to be able to do more to it when i want/need to not when the fedex guy gets here lol, i will probably get ls2edit for when i go s/c if anyone has any tips or hints for using it??

sorry if i seem like a dick because im really not trying to be but i am looking for information like hunterkiller89 gave that was pretty technical, because thats what im lookin for, thanks so far guys, keep the tech info coming
I'm guessing you are not aware that you can buy the cable from trifecta and then they just email you new tunes which means there is no waiting?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:47 PM

does hptuners not work with the l61?

jn2 how much hp are you making with your stock internals?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:04 PM

and while i think alot of peope are having really good luck with trifecta, i want to be able to do more to it when i want/need to not when the fedex guy gets here lol,
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...=1#post4451015

Quick Reply: Anyone turboed or supercharged please chime in!!!(or if you can help lol)